5.0 out of 5 stars Both Sides Now.
I remember when Both Sides came out in November of 1993. The record company didn't promote it and neither did VH1 or MTV. When I listened to it, I thought this is Phil Collins at his most serious. It seems to me that Phil was trying to say something without the typical humor he uses. This cd flopped commercially and critically, the first Phil Collins cd to do so...
Published on March 21, 2000 by Jason Stein

3.0 out of 5 stars A Diffrent Side of Phil
Phil Collins had been a big star all through the 80's with Genesis and his solo career. But when this album was released in 1993 he decided to take a new path in his career. The catchy songs with horns and drum solo's were gone and on "Both Sides" he was focusing on more slow intimate songs (not neccesary about marriages) but on society and family life. Most songs are...
Published on October 28, 2005 by Josephll

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phil..., January 31, 2012
This review is from: Both Sides (Audio CD)
There's a real humility in Phil with this album that you might not find in his other albums. Good listen give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars PHIL COLLINS "BOTH SIDES" CD, May 25, 2011
This review is from: Both Sides (Audio CD)
This is my "sleep CD" as I find Phil Collin's voice soothing regardless of the beat.
A must for all those Genesis fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Both Sides, October 15, 2008
Bjorn Viberg (European Union) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Both Sides (Audio CD)
Both Sides being Collins 1993 and his 5th studio album was met with lukewarm critique and did not sell nearly as well as prior albums. For the first time Collins writes sleeve notes and he even writes this inside the book-let "This is the first time I've ever written sleeve notes for one of my albums". Instead of collaborating with people like Hugh Padgham, he prouced and played all the instruments himself. Everyday is a tremendous love song that deals with the immense feelings that comes with love. The book-let is sparse but is still filled with all lyrics. The photo on the cover has Collins looking quite pensive and on the back he is smiling which perfectly fits the title. 4/5.

5.0 out of 5 stars A more mature Phil Collins, October 4, 2008
Francisco Vargas (San Jose, Costa Rica, Central America) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Both Sides (Audio CD)
I think, a songwriter, write your feelings, and add music (beautiful music), and want to go this to the people. I think, begining with But Serously, is the second Phil's material, that write expressing world's realities.

Bravo Phil....

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a healthy diet for the ear!!, June 3, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Both Sides (Audio CD)
The songs especially Both Sides Of The Story remind me of my only brother Mncedisi, who is working in Cape Town.In this album ,Phil is really introducing his music even to people who do not know him!! When I listen to Everday, I just feel I'm in another planet...not earth.It is a CD you cannot afford living without it. Bye now....

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the best, July 5, 2001
This review is from: Both Sides (Audio CD)
This and No Jacket Required are the best Phil's done. We've got emotional, breakup-ish songs (Can't Turn Back The Years), love songs (Everyday), songs about problems in society (We're Sons Of Our Fathers), and songs with that nice bit of sexual innudeo (Please Come Out Tonight). Well what are you waiting for?

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, March 27, 1999
This review is from: Both Sides (Audio CD)
This CD fits those meloncholy days.Those days when you wake up and feel odd. Kind of like days when it rains. This is one of my favorites. It is too bad that other tracks weren't released as singles besides, Everyday. His voice is haunting and enchanting all rolled up into one. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great album, February 9, 2000
This review is from: Both Sides (Audio CD)
i love listening to phil collins. guess this is the best one after 'but seriously' we fly so close is a terrific song. its amazing how he could play all the instruments all by himself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent "Other side" CD, October 28, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Both Sides (Audio CD)
I bought this CD already enjoying Phil Collins and Genesis work, but I especially enjoyed this one since most if not all the songs seem to have, as the album title indicates, another side to the story. A definite if you are looking for some of the best yet hidden works of mr. Collins.

4.0 out of 5 stars Phil's most personal and atmospheric album, May 17, 2003
This review is from: Both Sides (Audio CD)
Before "Both Sides" were never my favourite Phil's album.For me it contained too much of "drum machine" ballads (like his "One more night") and too less energetic songs...but this cd, after more than two years of laying in my wardrobe, has growed much more interesting than many new stuff i have buyed recently.
OK.More than half of "Both sides" are slow-tempo ballads.Only four songs has got faster beat and more cheerfull lyrics.But few on these ballads are perhaps one ofthe most beautifull that Phil has wrote in his career.
"I can't Find my way" with it's tribal bet and haunting lyrics reminds much of Peter Gabriels Songs.It is very dark and moving, this could even be the only reason to buy this album.
"We fly too close"(Simmilar to "In the air tonight"), "i've forgoten everything", "Everyday" are stunning with they're lyrics, and i could really believe phil when he is singing with his sad voice "I never ment to break your heart....". This guy is just ordinary man with love problems...Only??? not only!!!
HE also sings about situation in modern world - unemployed, gangsters and homeless ("Both sides"), How the old days were good ("Were all our father's sons") and growing old ("can't turn back the years")
Phil's solo albums are much more simplier than his Genesis albums.But the way he sings and his way of seeing the world in lyrics makes him such a great artist.And i forgot to mention - He played all instruments by himself(Basses,Drums,Guitars,Piano).
If you already have "Both sides" and you dont like it, give it a chance.I believe that you will be suprised later how deep and breathtaking songs are contained here.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›