Customer Discussions > Battlefield 4 - Xbox One forum

Bots/AI's in Multi modes?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 13, 2013 3:30:51 PM PDT
MpressM says:
I haven't heard a y/n on this yet. I know it wasn't implemented last gen with BF3 for consoles, but fingers crossed for this. For scrimmaging or just balancing out 64 plyr matches. I know that Titanfall is using cloud-computing for its AI's/bots, so I'm hoping BF4 follows suit...really really really hoping. Really.

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 2:48:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2013 2:49:51 PM PDT
It definitely will not for multiplayer as it now stands. Not because it isn't a cool idea - I think it is awesome, but because they can't. The reason they can't is a simple one.

You rely too much on your squad mates in BF4. If you have a computer, even a super intelligent computer, they still wont be as smart or quick thinking as a human. I can only imagine being a sniper and having a bot team member spawn in and seeing an enemy starts shooting giving away my location.

Or what if on the flip side you have a bot that spawns in with C4 and you get close to a tank! Could DICE allow the bot to blow up a tank? Would that be fair? If not would it be fair to have a guy with C4 on your team that doesn't use it?

What if DICE added entire dummy squads? Well then what happens when you get a camper who figures out where they spawn and just mows them down for the match? Earning huge points.

These are just 3 scenarios which would break the game as it now stands. I think it is too competitive to have bullet sponges. :)

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 12:38:05 PM PDT
Kirk Travel says:
Well I'm unsure but from the Gamespot E3 coverage, I recall them talking about A.i. Bots in Multi-Player and that the answer boiled down to simply "... No but we are bringing Commander mode back from Battlefield 2. It's something that we are definitely looking into though... Maybe in our new Commander mode it could work" or something of the sort. I could be wrong but that is what I remember.

I think all the scenarios that 'Ben up the Tree' has said are in fact real possible problems EA DiCE would be trying to creatively fight if they did. While its true that Battlefield is a competitive space, Video Games like Section 8 have successfully combated alot of those "dumb-fire" bot issues. If they do it in a strategic way similar to stuff like TC Future Solider or SOCOM 4, Bots with good AI could be just as fun or even more clever than a human opponent that you or the next guy and might be. They could possibly even make great team-mates if not better ones.

For Example;

How many times have you been in a squad that broke up and couldn't back each-other up?

Cause when I'm not playing with my friends and I'm out on my own I have ran into that issue a few times where the Squad was elsewhere usually sniping not taking any objectives and I was the Squad Leader (most B3 players do back me up though and I them).

(If) AI-Bots would not abandon you unless the Squad Leader (example being you) says so then that is something worth while. Cause they will continue to attack in waves untill the objective is won and then they might set up defense if the objective is still marked like it is in B3's CQ/A modes until you mark another. This way they wont run off unless you say so and you could call the Squad to back you whenever you wanted. Also when not on objectives lets say in Team Deathmatch, if you mark a target the AI-Bot could attack that target being the enemy player not a blueberry friendly. If a friendly moves toward the Bots line of sight could suddenly stop firing (to avoid killing a friendly) and move to continue firing at the enemy or wait and watch your flank until the line of sight is back. Granted I'd take it that no one person should be stupid enough to step in front of a gun ripping away at its target but in the case you want to take point during battle I think that DICE would need to think of those kinds of Scenarios first and others after.

I agree mostly with you MpressM but here is my only thing because that if we had a specific MP mode that did it and not every MP mode I think in time they could do it eventually if they wanted to but they value the human component first and foremost. So it makes sense that a special AI Bot mode be added instead of making it apart of the main experience right away and just think of the latency that would generate if it was every mode (something I think they wish to evade). This allows players to choose what they want to experience without any compromise to the Battlefield they already know and love/like.

It's always been a cool idea to add Bots that have not just good but great AI that can drive it to act like us and even take commands and follow them. I hope that not just B4 will do it but that other shooter games will add it and shape it into a good experience. Video Games like Crysis or FarCry could certainly pull something like that off but it would need to fit that game's MP to make sense I think, just the same for Battlefield.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Jun 13, 2013
Latest post:  Jul 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Battlefield 4 - Xbox One
Battlefield 4 - Xbox One by Electronic Arts (Xbox One)
3.5 out of 5 stars   (1,023)