4.0 out of 5 stars Great system!
The cloth diapers I usually use are the cheap pockets, Bright Star Baby/Fishnoodles, BumGenius, and Softbums. The only covers I've used have been these and Bright Star Baby.

Published on January 1, 2012 by mixingmemory

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it more than I do...
Published on May 1, 2012 by MEG

4.0 out of 5 stars Great system!, January 1, 2012

I adore these over the Bright Star Baby. Even though there is just one row of snaps, these snap around my baby really snugly (still without any red marks) and there is no "wing droop." They fit perfectly, and because of this, they're pretty trim. I love the extra row of gussets around the thighs as extra protection against leaking.

The PUL is totally exposed on the inside of the cover, but that's what makes it ACTUALLY reusable-- no matter what the mess is, you can technically wipe it off and reuse it right away. My husband thinks that this makes the the cover look cheap, but that's because he's comparing it to pocket diapers-- all covers alone are kind of thin and flimsy-looking. In reality, this one works great. I've heard of other people being bothered by the fact that the PUL touches the baby's skin, but it's never been an issue for us-- it doesn't seem to make my baby uncomfortable.

The BestBottoms inserts and the Softbums inserts are interchangeable-- both snap in to both diapers. I prefer the Softbums inserts, since the BestBottoms ones are stiffer and seem bulkier. The Softbums inserts seem cushier-- they're big and soft, and since they're one size (you just fold them to the correct size), you don't have to buy different sizes as your baby grows.

So, BestBottoms cover + Softbums insert is the perfect diaper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bottom covers - good value and simple, July 14, 2011
I have been cloth diapering since my oldest was a baby. That was nine years ago and Best Bottoms were not around -- I wish they had been! My 2 year old and my 5 week old are (obviously) still in diapers and these are our go-to diapers. I can't say enough good things about these shells...they fit without leaving red marks, are easily cleaned and the fit is just about perfect. I also love that the shells are reusable, just wipe and go. I also use the stay-dry inserts, which means my diaper bag is a lot less bulky, since I just throw in a few inserts and go. I am a big fan of the hook and loop closure, which a lot of people don't like, but it works excellent for fit and it is so strong my toddler can't undo it, no matter how much he fiddles with it. I have almost all the well known brands in my stash, and Best Bottoms are my favorite, hands down. Also, my toddler would get a nasty rash if left in his CDs overnight, but we have not had that problem with the Best Bottoms and the stay-dry insert. My newborn has had several "explosions" that would have leaked all over the place in disposables, or even other CDs, but were safely contained in the BB. My husband likes these, too. He likes that they just snap in and out, no stuffing required. All in all, great diaper!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great diapering system, September 2, 2012
We purchased this diapering system because we liked the idea of reusing the outer shell and just replacing the insert. We purchased 10 shells and 15 inserts (12 hemp and 3 stay dry). Our daughter has been using them since birth - 11 weeks later they are still in great shape. It is true that the water proof lining of the outer shell does sometimes stick to her upper back/upper thigh but it is rare and only when she has a super duper poo or we waited too long to change her. This sticking doesn't seem to bother her or leave any mark/rash on her skin. We experience one leak every couple days, again because we waited too long to change her i.e. her long sleep or we used the wrong size liner (she's approaching 12 lbs but we've waited to purchase the Medium size).

Our care practice:
1. Put dirty shells and liners through one rinse cycle with 1/2 cup of white vinegar (to get the smell out)
2. Immediately wash on warm cycle (we use Rock 'n Green Classic)
3. Dry on regular heat (shells might be dry before the end of the cycle so check if you have the time or remember to do so)
4. Take shells out and re-run liners on a second dry cycle if needed (we found the hemp liners took a second cycle to dry fully).

If you're thinking of using the hemp liners primarily, you may want to invest in at least 3 stay dry liners too. Once your baby has found his/her long sleep period (our daughter's is around 2-3AM and she'll sleep for 6-7 hours), time the diaper change right before that one and use the stay dry liner - no leaks ever. Overall, I am extremely satisfied at how simple and easy this system is. The double gussets, snap inserts and one-size makes this the best fit for our family. I'm hoping the outer shells last for baby #2 when we're ready.

*****Update 9 months later...******
Well, my little girl is just over nine months now and we've been using this diapering system since we brought her home - the same 10 shells! They've held up very well, NO sign of wear using the same care practice listed above with just one exception - we only pre-rinse in the washer if she had some particularly nasty poos. We still use vinegar and Rock 'n Green. I guess you can say we pre-rinse the really nasty liners with our cloth diaper sprayer Cloth Diaper Sprayer - white before we put them in the wash bag Planet Wise Diaper Pail Liner (Avocado) which is also the original bag (we bought 2 to rotate). Little one is 19 pounds so we use the large liners most now but the mediums are still fine. We pair 30 Stay Dry liners with Bummies flushable liners and go several days between loads (reusing the shells from wet diapers).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great option for sensitive tushies, December 15, 2011
kim powe (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
My daughter is 10 weeks old and we have been using these for about 3.5 weeks now and I LOVE them. I was worried about having to snap out a gross insert, but it hasn't been a problem at all. As for the inserts, I have the hemp/cotton blend and I HIGHLY recommend them. They are VERY obsortant (my husband left one on overnight for 9 hours and it didn't leak OR irritate her bottom - no redness at all!), and as evidenced by my husband's faux pas, they breath very well. I bought liners to use for overnight diapering, but she doesn't even need it. This morning when I changed her (using the overnight insert too boot) her bottom was DRY even though both inserts were saturated.

I had tried to use the Fuzzi Bunz system with her because they were so highly recommended, but I had problems with leaks, and after one 2-hour diapering session her whole bottome was very red and irritated. They didn't work for us, but they seem to work very well for other people.

Size wise the Best Bottomes are not really for baby's under 8 pounds, and probably heavier if your baby is long and lean like my little one. When she was born she was 6 pounds 13 ounces and they were WAY too big for her. Instead, I started with the g-diaper infant diapers, which I also highly recommend (not a single blow out between the two companies.)

I really can't say enough good things about these diapers, they'r effective, well made (in America) make going out easy because you only need to bring an insert with you, and if you have the hemp inserts are HIGHLY obsorbant. I just ordered some more and am glad to have found a system that I can use for her whole diapering phase. Will update later to see if I'm right!

5.0 out of 5 stars surprising favorite..., June 8, 2013
my husband and i decided early on in my pregnancy that we would be cloth diapering. as much as it is helpful environmentally, i'm not going to lie: we were thinking about our pocket books before the landfill.

i did a *ton* of research, as i knew that i didn't have the money, patience, or time to try several diapering systems. i narrowed the cloth options down to all-in-2s, because i wanted the least amount of laundry and work (read: stuffing) possible. hey... when you have your own business and a newborn, time and money are definitely commodities. besides, who wants to stuff diapers when you could be snuggling your newborn?!

we ended up getting a few softbum covers (they are a bit pricier than other CDs), several best bottoms covers, and all softbum inserts. (the softbum inserts are interchangeable with the best bottoms system, and you only need to by one "adjustable" insert instead of 3 different sizes with the best bottom system.) honestly, i thought i would like softbum the best, because of the adjustable leg holes, soft fabric lining, etc... and they are nice... but after several months of use, i have found that i will go for the best bottoms in the drawer over the softbum.

some advantages of best bottoms?

* i like that the shell is waterproof and wipeable on the inside. the makes it so if a little bit of pee gets out of the cover, you can wipe and reuse equaling less wash.
* the fit is pretty close to a disposable. let's be honest; people don't call cloth diapered babies fluffly butts for no reason.
* double leg gussets. no poop-splosions. (knock-on-wood.) i can't say that for the times we have used disposables
* they are made to adapt to any size baby, through the use of a snap-up rise. the rise stays in place, even after washing. which is nice.
* best bottoms has some really cute prints, including owls and hedgehogs. seriously!? huggies doesn't give you that.

softbums has its own advantages, but like i said, these surprised me by coming out on top.

so best bottom covers + softbum liners = the winning combo for our family.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it more than I do..., May 1, 2012
I've used BestBottom twice now. First change was just pee - easy. Second was a poop explosion (exclusively breastfed) that managed to get under the insert (yeah, talented kid). So two uses before washing. Basically it's great if it's just for tinkle - and maybe solid poo will be okay - but messy poops just get everywhere. The top fits a little weird - it kind of scoops when on the medium setting; but maybe that's only on my kid. I don't really like that the inside material is directly on the baby's skin - seems uncomfortable and sweat inducing. I do like how trim the whole unit is. And it washes well, dries fast. I will use it, but will time it around per-determined poo.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite diaper covers!, July 21, 2013
I love that you can use these as an AI2 with inserts, or as a cover over a prefold. I use them over snappi'd Green Mountain Diaper prefolds and have never had a leak. I get compliments all the time when I take baby boy out in these with a matching shirt. The colors are bright and the prints are adorable. The fit is nice, especially if you have a chunky baby like mine, and the double gussets are great for holding in explosive breastfed newborn poo. Well worth the price! I can tell they will last for our next baby. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely the best, November 28, 2011
My daughter is now almost 8 months old so we have been using Best Bottom One Size Diapers for 4 months so far. I expected a learning curve that really never was necessary with these diapers, they are so great to use. The system is simple, reasonably priced and stylish, what more could you ask for? My daughter is long and thin so there is a slight gap at the tummy where it snaps. At first I was afraid this would lead to leaking issues but that never was the case. If you change the diapers as often as you would change a disposable, every 2 hours or so, there is no leaking problem. I have not used the overnight inserts, we use a different pocket diaper for bedtime, but for naps that can sometimes last several hours we've not had any leaking problems. We just came back from a long trip (7 hours in the car with an infant, what an adventure!) and used the best bottom diapers for daytime the entire trip. With the large wet bag it was great and we really didn't have to stop more than she needed in terms of feeding and stretching all our legs. We never had to stop just to change a diaper so it wouldn't leak. The system is simple enough to figure out that my parents are comfortable changing her diapers. You definitely need a couple of extra diaper covers for when the solids leak on to the cover, but with so many cute designs this is not a difficulty. Overall we really love this diaper and look forward to using it for the rest of my daughter's diaper career and on any future children. I highly recommend this diaper system.

4.0 out of 5 stars BestBum covers, August 20, 2013
I LOVE the concept of Best Bottom diapers. I have 2 of them & many inserts--but, I do have one problem with them. They seem to be very "low rise" on my 26 lb. daughter. I wish they were just a tiny bit bigger. They do look like they'll work great for teeny tiny babies, though! Overall, I really love these diapers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Best Bottom Diapers, June 11, 2014
I have used hook and loop BumGenius and Flip diapers on my son since he was born. As my son has become more mobile and dexterous, he began taking his diapers off- I was wishing I had just ordered diapers with snaps, but the velcro seemed more "daddy-friendly" for my husband who was reluctant to use cloth diapers. The pocket 4.0's and Freetimes also began to leak as my son became a heavier wetter. I decided to try out a Best Bottom cover and insert, and I love them. I love that the inserts snap in, and the fit is perfect for my average weight, 70th percentile height 13 month old. The inserts are absorbent, and when combined with a doubler insert, which snap together in a stack, have never left my son soaked or leaking even after going 12 hours overnight. I have been working on replacing my entire stash with Best Bottom covers and inserts. The patterns and colors are a bonus too, as they are very cute.

Best Bottom Cloth Diaper Shell-Snap, Vanilla