5.0 out of 5 stars From the Denver Post, April 8, 2000
This review is from: I Bought a Baby Chicken (Hardcover)
"I Bought a Baby Chicken" is a cute story and a subtle counting book. During a family trip to the general store, the narrator sees a little chick and decides to buy it. Her sister picks up two black chicks, her dad likes three striped ones, and before you know it, the whole family - cousins, grandparents, great-grandparents - has gone cuckoo for chickens. "I guess my family's lucky that I didn't want a cow," concludes the narrator, who'd better hope her family doesn't suddenly develop a hankering for friend chicken or buffalo wings. Karen Stormer Brooks' google-eyed illustrations are as silly as the story. (by Claire Martin).

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun family counting book, May 6, 2012
This review is from: I Bought a Baby Chicken (Hardcover)
Fun, cumulative rhyme includes counting, and family relationships (sister, grammy, grampa, etc.) as the whole family goes overboard getting baby chickens at the general store. A good zinger of an ending, "There were baby chicks most everywhere, as you must know by now.../I guess my family's lucky that I didn't want a cow!" is paired with a picture of the kitchen being overwhelmed by cows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and Good Humored Kelly, April 7, 2000
lee tabin (Northfield Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Bought a Baby Chicken (Hardcover)
This little counting book in charming verse by Kelly Milner Halls is exactly the sort of thing to brighten up a child's day or your own. Kelly gives the little story gentle excitement which will stimulate a child and charm an adult. It is the kind of little morsel I would want to grace a coffee table forever. I also thought the illustrations unusual and darling.
Many will ask just what can one do with a counting book, but Kelly has managed to do something new while staying within comfortable and familiar bounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting read for entire family!, March 22, 2000
This review is from: I Bought a Baby Chicken (Hardcover)
Kelly Milner Hall's "I Bought A Baby Chicken is a bright and colorful counting book that will be sure to delight children and parents alike. Incorporating counting skills as well as math skills, its fun to see all the different kinds of chicks the silly family gathers up. The charming illustrations by Karen Stormer Brooks make "I Bought A Baby Chicken" a vivid adventure for the eyes. This is an enchanting story that everyone in the family will enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding effort from an outstanding author!, February 8, 2000
This review is from: I Bought a Baby Chicken (Hardcover)
Kelly Milner-Halls takes a real-life situation with her daughter and turns it into a great children's book/adventure. If you have a young child, he/she will love it, and you might catch yourself taking a look as well. Hope there are many more children's (and other genre) books yet to come from this talented author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fellow mom pipes up, March 23, 2000
This review is from: I Bought a Baby Chicken (Hardcover)
Just add sound effects of your own (and get your child doing the same) and you'll get an idea of the delight on tap in this terrific read-aloud. Charming and childlike with the kind of warmth that'll have kids begging for re-reads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fort Worth Star Telegram, March 2, 2000
This review is from: I Bought a Baby Chicken (Hardcover)
One, toddlers really love counting books. Two, it gives them somthing to do while the grown-up (that's you) wrestles with all those funny words. Three, counting books have really great pictures. Four, little fingers get a good work out. Five...hey, trust us, just look for Kelly Milner Halls' I BOUGHT A BABY CHICKEN. Get snuggly with your child and a counting book, and discover the pleasures of a really satisfying read. February 28, 2000, "What to Read," the Fort Worth Star Telegram.

5.0 out of 5 stars From the Atlanta Journal Constitution, April 2, 2000
This review is from: I Bought a Baby Chicken (Hardcover)
"There are far too many counting books, but this one delights and does the job. With Halls' crisp, peppy rhymes and adorable illustrations by an Atlanta artist, children will be counting before it even dawns on them." Julie Bookman, Atlanta Journal Constitution, April 1, 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars A hit, a palpable hit!, June 15, 2000
This review is from: I Bought a Baby Chicken (Hardcover)
This is the book to buy for little kids of all ages. The story is so sweet, the words so engaging, the illustrations and the colors so vivid and soothing at the same time. I'm delivering yet another copy to the smartest three-year-old I know in just a little while, and I can already imagine Nick holding this book and reading it to one of his kids. It's a classic, it's a work of art, it's a very wonderful teaching tool, but, best of all, it's got heart, and what more can you hope to show kids? Take a bow, Kel.

I Bought a Baby Chicken
I Bought a Baby Chicken by Kelly Milner Halls (Hardcover - March 1, 2000)
Used & New from: $4.17