Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Customer Discussions > Diablo III - PC/Mac forum

You Bought Starcraft 2. Was the Always-OnLine Hassle Worth the Trouble?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 414 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 4, 2011 3:28:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 4, 2011 4:01:59 AM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
This is the Achilles' heel of the Diablo3 launch: people who have already tried out BattleNet to play Single-player games and are fed up with it.

What did we gain from having to log-in every bloody time we wanted to play a single-player game?
Achievements? Games had those in Single-player for years.
Global Ranking? Posting one's score online has been done for decades.
New maps? Nothing that could not be patched in.

There was absolutely no reason for BattleNet, nothing the gamer gained. Quite the opposite in fact.
All that remained was the extra hassle and the inability to use the game you paid for whichever way you decided and whenever you could not access the internet.

I have recently read Ready Player One, a book about a massive online RPG quest. The villain is a greedy gaming company, IOI, that wants to hijack what used to be free, start charging for everything and demand a cut from every little transaction. Care to guess who this reminds the reader of?

Fooled me once...

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 3:48:33 AM PDT
peter woods says:
its only online simply because so many people have pirated Starcraft and diablo. Blizz doesnt like people playing their games without them paying for it.

but anyway, the only time i had issues was while deployed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2011 4:00:37 AM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
And how many do you think the always online requirement prevented from pirating the game?
The correct answer is zero because Starcraft 2 was cracked from day one.
Just like Diablo3 will be.

Pirates never complain about such things because they never have to deal with them.

The only thing that the always online requirement achieved is making that cracked version so much more desirable.

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 5:26:05 AM PDT
Kruger says:
I will have 2 folders on my hhd:
1) Diablo 3 - legit copy of the game I will buy, so I can play online
2) D3 - dupe of legit copy,... cracked, so when the internet goes down, I can still play

"Then why have this DRM?!?" - because this is Blizzard/Activision's game. They can do whatever they want with it. And, I wouldn't be surprised if they took out insurance on their game and will file a claim to get some money, based on # of copies reported as pirated.

Many of you just don't seem to get it; you will not own this game. You will be paying $60 for permission to play this game - that's it.

The issue is that Blizzard isn't listening to you. And, it's understood. So, will you keep supporting a company that does not care about you? Or, will you vote with your $$$?

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 11:58:55 AM PDT
As as been discussed in numerous threads, StarCraft 2 has a single player campaign that can be played offline.

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 12:12:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 4, 2011 12:13:18 PM PDT
Ser says:
StarCraft II, once logged in (and doesn't bug out) allows offline play for up to about a month. While achievements don't work campaign and AI skirmishes do. I've had my internet crash plenty of times and only the achievements are disabled. It doesn't kick me offline.

I wouldn't think it's piracy so much it is not being able to sell it. The PC market isn't huge like video game consoles whenever a person buys a game and sells it to someone else the publisher doesn't get any revenue from it. I know of a copy of an Xbox 360 game that has been bought and resold around four times. The pre-owned game retailer makes a lot of profit from that (and hence when buying a game the seller defaults to pre-owned first).

And face it, if someone hated SC II at least Blizzard gives them 30 days to call in a refund. I don't know if EA or other game companies do that or not with DRM purchases.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 2:35:49 AM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
In other words, Diablo3 will be worse than Starcraft2 then.

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 12:34:47 PM PDT
If you don't know why Blizzard doesn't make Diablo 3 offline aswell like Starcraft 2 then you don't know what system Diablo 3 has to prevend the same problems that Diablo 2 had.

I'm looking forwards to a much better economy and none or less (until the get banned aswell) maphacknoobs and all that.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 3:23:14 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
it is offline play that checks in like once a month or 30 days, diablo 3 is just made as a cash cow. nothing to do against piracy.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 3:27:40 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
Charles says:
I will have 2 folders on my hhd:
1) Diablo 3 - legit copy of the game I will buy, so I can play online
2) D3 - dupe of legit copy,... cracked, so when the internet goes down, I can still play

that is my friend and I plan to do. so we can play the way its meant to be on single player, offline and i wont on single player have to notice the cash cow auction.

Many of you just don't seem to get it; you will not own this game. You will be paying $60 for permission to play this game - that's it.

yep what happens if a very rare thing happens and blizzard slips into bankruptcy or just do not want later to support battle net where will the game be? limbo where you cannot play a legit copy, and is that any kind of thanks for paying all their paychecks?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 3:28:49 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
NeuroSplicer says:
In other words, Diablo3 will be worse than Starcraft2 then.

basically yes.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 4:30:43 PM PDT
Ser says:
I don't know about you, but both StarCraft II and World of Warcraft have similar issues to what you've mentioned on your last sentence.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 5:29:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2011 5:31:27 PM PDT
Kruger says:
"yep what happens if a very rare thing happens and blizzard slips into bankruptcy or just do not want later to support battle net where will the game be? limbo where you cannot play a legit copy, and is that any kind of thanks for paying all their paychecks?"

Someone buys the IP and continues to support the game.

Look at Good Old Games. DSI went out of business, MotoRacer support stayed in limbo for years and GOG came along and made MotoRacer actually work,.. with no DRM or over the top patching/solutions. With Diablo 3, no one would allow it to "float in limbo" for more than a week really. And, if you can argue that Blizzard will cease to operate, I can argue someone would gladly pick up and support their IP.

Plus, if Blizzard does go down, I am sure they will release a patch to allow you not to be online all the time. Look at how Diablo 2 required you play with the CD in the drive, with a patch - that is no longer required. Publishers and Developers throw a bone in times likes this. And, if not, go the hacking route. Or, find someone who runs their own Diablo 3 servers.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 5:34:30 PM PDT
Rockhardly says:
In response to your question: not only was it worth it, the on-line aspect of the game significantly improved the experience.

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 5:46:39 PM PDT
Alex Haywood says:
There is no single player in this game.

If you crack it with a no cd and are able to load the game up... there wouldn't be any quests, loot, monsters, etc. All that information is server side.

You should be comparing Diablo 3 to WoW than SCII.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 7:14:48 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
ok what if a "hellfire london" happens lol.

Look at how Diablo 2 required you play with the CD in the drive, with a patch

that is flawed, i have the newest 1.13 on d2 and it still requires the cd. dont know why if bilzzard says you do not need it

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 7:16:05 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
maybe they will find a way to make their own server side, and use captured information to supply it.

you cannot compare d3 to wow, wow is a mmorpg, and d3 will just be a multi player online.

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 7:17:33 PM PDT
Ser says:
The patch should of given you instructions on how to make it cd-less. StarCraft required the install.exe to be copied from each disc and named StarCraft.mpq and BroodWar.mpq respectively.

But, if that doesn't work attach Diablo II to your bnet account, download it there and probably not run off a CD.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 7:30:53 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
i updated my version from battlenet but it does not allow no cd usage. and i installed the full multi player and i also updated the expansion to full install also.

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 7:34:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2011 7:35:36 PM PDT
Ser says:
You're missing my point. If you don't have ALL game files to your hard drive the game will still require a CD. Looking at Blizzard's patch notes it states:

If all required Diablo 2 '.MPQ' files are installed on the hard drive, the game will no longer require the CD to play.

If you meet the above requirement, the game will play. I'm pretty sure a full install doesn't get every little MPQ on the disc, so just double check. Which, to my knowledge from the notes is just the music file.

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 8:00:59 AM PDT
And you can allways download the game from the site.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011 8:14:59 AM PDT
Sudeley says:
only if someone registers the game and uses the new longer code, which i did but i did not want to uninstall my cd version and have to wait while the dl version downloaded. doesnt bother me to have the disc. but i got it working with Ser's help. but next time i will be using the dl version, just didnt have it setup before i reinstalled with cd at the time.

but i went back to lan on diablo 2 because of their high latency with lag and disconnects.

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 10:11:38 AM PDT
Shanghaied says:
Indifferent is the word I'd use to describe my experience. The requirement wasn't terribly noticeable and didn't detract from the fact that you were playing probably the best RTS ever made.

I don't think it really did anything for me either though. The multiplayer aspect was exceptional and they really did the ranking and matchmaking well; two things I generally dislike with PC online games.

However, being online during skirmishes with the CPU or during the campaign pretty much provides zero benefit to the player in any way. It certainly didn't improve or detract from the experience and I'm clueless as to how it would have done either for anyone.

The only issue I had was during my brutal campaign playthrough where the internet dropped and I didn't get credit for completing the mission. After completing the campaign, it took me a while to figure out why I didn't get credit, and was a little upset that I had to replay 2 missions to get my Kerrigan portrait. ;-/

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 11:06:06 PM PDT
Alan S says:
"All that remained was the extra hassle and the inability to use the game you paid for whichever way you decided and whenever you could not access the internet."

Pretty much. With the weak internet available out here in Afghanistan, even single player mode is unplayable as I can't get past the 'connecting to patch server screen.'

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 7:45:58 AM PDT
Sudeley says:
That's because blizzard does notcare about the players only their added income.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Diablo III - PC/Mac forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  414
Initial post:  Sep 4, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Diablo III - PC/Mac
Diablo III - PC/Mac by Blizzard Entertainment (Mac OS X Intel, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
2.4 out of 5 stars (3,782)