5.0 out of 5 stars great album, May 29, 2014
This review is from: Bouldin (Audio CD)
"Big Coat" got me hooked, "Travelin' on", "Notion" and "Whirl" are amazing as well. Grab this one. You won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light, happy and fun, August 20, 2011
This review is from: Bouldin (MP3 Music)
When I bought this album and heard it in its entirety for the first time, I wasn't really impressed. When the album ended, I had enjoyed the music, but I wasn't anxious to hear more. However, the album has grown on me. In fact, after hearing it the first time, I developed a strange addiction for the music I didn't really think I liked that much. The more I listened to this album, the more I liked it.

So, first and foremost, the music Wiretree has put in their debut album is very light, happy and fun. That said, I guess I'll go right into the songs (in order). Bear with me, I'll try to be brief.

"Big Coat" has quickly become one of my favorite songs and was a major factor in my purchasing this album. I fell in-love with this song after hearing five seconds of it. The underlying beat and the style of the vocals is very catchy and even if you don't know the song, you end up swaying and tapping your feet to it. This song sets the album off on a very good note. (Song = 5/5)

"Travelin' On" is a light and happy song with another catchy beat. It's also one of the more creative songs on the album. This song showcases Kevin Peroni's soft, easy vocals, which really complete the song. At this point, the album is awesome. (Song = 4/5)

"Secret Law" is the unfortunate third song in this album. The beat of this song isn't bad per se, but it's the fact that it feels so repetitive (in the music, not the vocals) and is much heavier than the rest of the album. It feels out of place - like it doesn't belong with the rest of the songs. After listening to it, you may be glad it's over and, like me, skip it most times you listen to this album. (Song = 2/5)

"Feel Me" picks up where Travelin' On left off and sort of sounds like a better version of Secret Law. It's a little heavier than the other songs in the album, but not in the negative sense like Secret Law. Peroni's singing in this song is again soft and bordering on "emo", if you understand the vague term. However, the strong beat in the background and the great guitar riffs quickly get this song engrained in your head. I found (and find) myself humming this to myself a lot after listening to the album. It ends on a high note with a great guitar solo (one thing you'll notice is that the "solos" on this album are slow - which fits the music). Overall, Feel Me is a little different than the first two songs, but in a good way. (Song = 4/5)

"Don't Need It" is where, when you first listen to this album, it begins to feel repetitive - like it's the same as the others. This is true. Don't Need It sounds very similar to the other songs of the album and is sort of the turning point. It's still good though, and one that grows on you. The vocals, unlike some of the other songs, are prominent and actually easy to hear. It has a good rhythm to it, but again, it's nothing new. (Song = 3 (borderline 4) /5)

"Notion" is a good one. It starts out very similar to other songs in the album (suffering from the same thing that Don't Need It does), but is different enough to survive. The best part of the song is the last third, in which there is another slow-paced solo of sorts. Notion also has some of Peroni's best singing of the album. In some (if not most) of the other songs, his voice is almost in the background, overshadowed by the instruments. In this song, though, his voice is clear and nice to listen to. (Song = 4/5)

"Dragon Cigarette" suffers from a seeming lack of creativity. It is similar to Secret Law in the sense that the majority of the song is repetitive. Again, not in the vocals, but in the music itself. The song is characterized by a series of subtle rises and falls in the tune which are repeated over and over. Peroni's singing in this one sounds somewhat like his vocals in "Feel Me", but in a less desirable way. The last 45 seconds of the song are great, however, with another excellent little solo that you wish doesn't end so soon. Overall, it isn't a bad song, but it isn't great either. (Song = 3/5)

"Whirl" is a short song that again sounds like the rest of the album. There's nothing really new or outstanding about this song. It certainly isn't bad, and has a pleasant sound and beat to it, but at this point in the album, you want something new. (Song = 3/5)

"Summercity" is a nice song that is also kind of aggravating because it showcases something that isn't used in any of the other songs: a harmonica. Granted, it isn't used extensively in the song, but it adds a lot to it and some (not all!) of the others might've benefited from it. Summercity ends the album on a good note, with a bit more creativity than the few songs before it, ending on a light, fun beat. (Song = 4/5)

So, it's a good album, but it's nothing fantastic either. In my case, the more I listened to it, the more I liked it and it's continually growing on me. It's also strangely addicting and you may find yourself listening to it a lot! It also makes for good driving or background music. I give it four out of five stars, but it's a weak four, more inbetween three and four. If I had to be precise, I'd say a 3.7 - but that's ridiculously precise!

Anywho, I'm droning on. I'll end by saying Bouldin is definitely worth a purchase, but if you aren't willing to spend nine dollars on nine songs (barely 30 minutes of music), then I'd at least buy Big Coat which is a fantastic song!

(January 2012 edit: fixed a typo. Also, I like this album even more, having listened to it countless times over the month. A sold 4/5 stars!)

Bouldin
Bouldin by Wiretree (Audio CD - 2012)