4.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, October 9, 2011
This review is from: Bound for the Forest (The Greenwood Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book was a lot of fun, one of the things I most look for in the books I read. The characters meet with a bang and never really learn how to get along without more bangs, take that as you will :3 I love it when there are honest to god sparks. Chars that get along and all are fine and fun in their own way, but it's the stubborn ones that clash and clash until they don't that are always my favorite.

Loved the world building as well--it's an historical setting, but you're only given a small taste of that, really, because the book is more about a world that has never moved forward like the rest. The author does an amazing job building that lost world, too. It did not come off silly or contrived, which is my usual fear with these sorts of settings.

Favorite parts: scaring the intruders, and the dancing scene later. The scaring was hilarious and the hot; the dancing was just beautiful and sensual and perfect.

Excellent book, can't wait to read more by this author ^__^

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange But Interesting, November 20, 2012
Rick Pai (Watertown, NY) - See all my reviews
I found this book very interesting. The fantasy world the author has created is different from any other I have run across, with characters that fascinated me. It is a strange book in a way that I can't quite define, but if you enjoy exploring a new fantasy world, I recommend it highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book has it all from druid priestesses to talking spirit trees to murder., August 31, 2012
Kay Berrisford - Bound for the Forest (The Greenwood #1) {Reviewed by Don @ Hearts On Fire Reviews}

The world building in this book was absolutely excellent. The myths and lore that Ms Berrisford spun through out the story were worth reading alone. Melmoth Brien is deeply in debt so returns to his ancestral home which he hates deep in the Greenwood of England. When Brien arrives at his ruined home he finds that a young man named Scarlet has beaten him to the family jewels and other well hidden treasures and is about to set the estate ablaze. The year is 1817 yet this book does not read like a historical book but more like a fae story as almost all of it takes place in the Greenwood where time pretty much stands sill. Brien and his sister Jemima are the last of a long line of Protectors of the Greenwood but Brien does not want the duty and winds up being branded as a traitor. Scarlet and Brien have a lust/hate relationship going but Scarlet is unable to leave the Greenwood as it is his life force. The good versus evil theme runs heavily through the story and Scarlet is very caught up in it which makes his character interesting. The sex and the BDSM are hot enough to scorch your ereader and are tied to the story line. This book has it all from druid priestesses to talking spirit trees to murder. The characters are well developed and plot twists and turns abound but the HEA ending is spot on. I am looking to forward to book two in this well written series.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Keeper!, May 16, 2014
This is the first book I have read by Kay Berrisford, but I can definitely say it won't be the last. I made sure to put the publisher's note above in bold, simply because it is not something I usually read when looking for a book, but if I had I would have been alerted to the part warning about sex in partly shifted tree form. This was a fascinating part for me as I had not yet read a book with sex in any kind of partly shifted form. So yeah I dove right in and was reading along then wham, there it was!

Brien doesn't want to stay in the Greenwood any longer than he has to, but he stumbles upon Scarlet and all his fortunes are gone. Scarlet claims he can help, after all he is the one responsible. The connection between these two is explosive and forbidden. Brien needs to find his sister and then he can go, Scarlet can never leave even though he really wants to. It seems this pairing is doomed from the beginning.

While this book is a historical, being set in 1817, it does not read like it. The world building in this book was excellent and has set the stage for the rest of the series. I am looking forward to revisiting the Greenwood very soon.

I loved the lust and chemistry between Brien and Scarlet, it was enough to heat up the pages! I didn't quite reach the emotional connection I was hoping for, but I was taken by surprise a few times throughout the story by different plot twists.

I will likely reread this book and I will certainly be revisiting the Greenwood!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique, April 20, 2013
Beautiful story. Loved it and would love to read more from this author. The style was almost poetic. Very nice