5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling story of love, endurance and the human spirit.
Published on June 25, 2012 by annettarn

2.0 out of 5 stars I AGREE WITH THE OTHER 2 STAR REVIEWER
To say I am disappointed with this book would be an understatement. I purchased it based on the 4 and 5 star reviews and I have to say I wish I hadn't.

As I read this I kept thinking God I must be reading a different book than all the others raved about. I know reading and reviews are subjective so I kept slugging on to the end.

I disliked both the...
Published 18 months ago by Joyce J. Ruskuski

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling story of love, endurance and the human spirit., June 25, 2012
This review is from: Bountiful Creek: a legendary love story (Kindle Edition)
A beautifully written story of a girl coming of age, during pre Civil War, and her undying love for Wiby. Martha wants to marry and settled down, buy a small farm and start her life with Wilby. They have no money, and Wilby is a free spirit who is not tied to a piece of ground, but is willing to be if they can raise the money to buy the property. Wilby has five dollars for hunting and selling fur pelts, but they need at least fifty dollars. He wants to make sure Martha, the main character, will be happy staying in one place and not need to see the world as he has, Saying she is like "a frog stuck in a well". Martha has plans of her own to obtain the money, which leads her on an adventure to Ohio. The characters she meets are written richly and she has many trials and hardships. She is a strong character, fearless and loving and compassionate.
This book is written so well, you feel you are in the story wanting to yell at some of her choices and laugh and cry. It is more than worth the time to read and enjoy. It renews your faith in the human spirit, and helps you remember your fate is in the decisions you make.

5.0 out of 5 stars A love story, legendary and bittersweet..., August 16, 2012
Weissman's effective use of first person narrative immediately drew me into the story, plunking me soundly into Martha's (the main character) head. I intimately knew her emotions as she traversed the days of her life. From an 18 year old deeply in love, with plans, dreams, and optimism for all the wonderful things that will come. Then sharing her decisions as she made them, and feeling the pain as it happened--the consequences of her choices.

She trekked through life, unflappable, in the face of every hardship life handed her. Her coming of age was amid the stirrings of the civil war. And the love story? Beautiful, sad, haunting. There was foreshadowing early in the book, shared in an old foxfire legend--which set the tone for me.

Weissman's prose was beautiful, his vocabulary--extensive. The book was a walk through a long gone era, sometimes sweet, sometimes desperate, sometimes shame inspiring, but never without hope of something better.

The themes that were touched upon fit perfectly into the time setting of the story.

The pace was good, steady, and kept the pages turning.

A good story. I can't say much more without having to issue a spoiler alert.

I'll leave it at this: It is a legendary love story. The kind of love that makes a person soar to the heavens, and then plunge to the deepest despair. The kind of love we all hope to know at least once in our lifetimes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Read, August 9, 2012
This review is from: Bountiful Creek: a legendary love story (Kindle Edition)
I just finished this book. It was great. Very compelling reading and very elegantly written. It was my first Amazon e-book! I can easily see this as a great movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for your book group!, August 28, 2012
I found the characters and the descriptions of what life was like during this pre-civil war era to be interesting and thought-provoking. The writing style kept me attentive and intrigued with the language use of that period. This historical novel is both educational and heart-felt. I found myself part of an impromptu book discussion group about it at a recent family wedding! Everyone enjoyed it and had different insights into the character and the author! I look forward to more novels by this talented author!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Voracious Reader, July 4, 2012
Nancy J. Hudak (Hilton Head, SC USA) - See all my reviews
Bountiful Creek was, for me, a read-in-one-afternoon-must read-again book. Vivid description, exceptional vocabulary, well-portrayed characters, and a compelling story made this fictionalized history realistic and riveting. An extraordinary debut and it definitely rates 5 stars!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching story, June 14, 2012
This book is a real page-turner. I could not wait to find out what happened next! A great love story that isn't too mushy. Also love the historical setting. What it must have been like to live back then!

2.0 out of 5 stars I AGREE WITH THE OTHER 2 STAR REVIEWER, January 22, 2013
This review is from: Bountiful Creek: a legendary love story (Kindle Edition)

I disliked both the heroine and the hero who was a lazy, dreamer with no real goals in life except to do nothing and live by the seat of his pants. THe herione was a silly girl who could have been and had so much more in life but choose to moon over ths lack luster hero.

The story did nothing for me except make me want to cry over the lackluster writing and the stupidity of human beings in general and mine in particular over spending this much money to buy this boon doggle of a story.

My advise unless it is for no cost or you are borrowing it for free Skip it and find something else, but I seem to be in the minority.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Elegantly Written Story, September 19, 2012
This review is from: Bountiful Creek: a legendary love story (Kindle Edition)
"Bountiful Creek" is a rousing tale, evocative of those from the period in which the story hails. I was often reminded of Mark Twain's wry wit as I read the novel, which is told from the viewpoint of Martha Somerville. A feisty 18 year old Virginia girl, Martha is dead set on having Wilby Winterbourne. But she is not so overcome by her love for him that she plays the fool. The result is often amusing and heart wrenching.

The author uses 1st person so effectively that you cannot help but be right there with the heroine. I immensely enjoyed her sense of humor, cunning, and bravery. She is no melting Southern belle and you cannot help but respect her for it. Unlike many novels written in first person, the other chracters do not suffer from lack of emotion. Wilby, Elizabeth, and even Martha's father are brilliantly sketched.

I happily recommend "Bountiful Creek." Well researched and written, you will be sucked in from the very first words.

4.0 out of 5 stars BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN--, September 10, 2012
This review is from: Bountiful Creek: a legendary love story (Kindle Edition)
This was a beautifully written book. For this I gave it four stars. However, it seems that no ones dreams seem to come to fruition in this one. There was very little happiness and much sadness throughout the whole book. I did not give it the final star because even though beautifully written it was just too depressing.

2.0 out of 5 stars could not get through it, June 15, 2013
This review is from: Bountiful Creek: a legendary love story (Kindle Edition)
I read about the first 100 pages and decided I had better things to do with my time. At that point in a novel, I should care about at least one of the characters, but I didn't. I found the writing to be too wordy, as though we were reading the young protagonist's diary. it was free, so I didn't lose any money, just time.

Bountiful Creek: a legendary love story
$0.99