Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 2, 2008
After looking at some expensive units in local stores I decided to start with this one. I had also read the manuals for the various Bounty Hunter models at [...] and this one seemed to have the options I wanted. The Bounty Hunter brand seemed reasonably priced for the features.

It's well made and easy to use. Used it quite a bit on a recent camping trip, and the two 9-volt batteries still have plenty of life left in them, and I mostly ran it with the speaker rather than the headphones.

It is light and easy to carry and swing back and forth. With the "Trash Eliminator" control set all the way down it has no trouble finding even very small metal items, as low as 6" deep. In an area with many nails, turning up the "Trash Eliminator" seems to create a different toned beep for silver or gold, though I notice that aluminum pop tops were hard to eliminate. If I were looking for artifacts made of iron in an isolated area I would turn the Trash Eliminator off completely so as to not miss anything.

Again, the Gold Digger can really find things. It seems to have a smaller coil than some, perhaps making it capable of finding smaller items. It also seems to pinpoint well. I had no trouble locating the exact spot by simply passing the coil over a few times. Within the first 10 minutes I found an old compass, oddly enough of a type I used to have when I was a kid. I did find a lot of nails, some of them very old. Sometimes it would beep along a straight line making me think I had found a long iron object, but it turned out to be a length of wire. But I'm impressed that it didn't miss anything.

Not bad for the price. I wish I'd had one of these long ago. Now I need to go back to some of the remote places I've been to and do some detecting. It's a great way to pass the time.
on January 8, 2010
I purchased this metal detector for my husband, as we are avid adventurers of the great outdoors. I admit I purchased this based on reading several reviews and didn't know what to expect, but went with this particular one because a seasoned detector wrote that he uses this model when his high priced unit is not available. When it arrived in the box, it didn't look like much, but when we got it out and started using it, we were amazed at how well it performed. Our first experience was in an old closed campground. We were able to trace underground wiring, and actually found a couple nickles and pennies burried several inches in the dirt, with dates from the 1960's. We have ran it with the filter on and off, and I also believe it does a very good job of filtering out the aluminum from the actual metal objects. I have also noticed there are larger coils available for this model, so when the husband gets in his practice we can upgrade with the unit we already have. We haven't struck gold yet, but it won't be from lack of trying, as this is lightweight, simple to use, and is giving us much enjoyment.
on April 15, 2009
I've used this metal detector a coupleof times already and I have been able to located certain areas of where possible items maybe hidden underground. The Trash Eliminator is perfect for really trying not to dig up a soda can or anything else that wouldn't be surprise to the detector. I have found areas where I have gotten strong readings... I just forgot to buy a shovel. opps
on January 11, 2009
product claimed to be made in the USA, very important to me. Bought it as a gift, so my use of it was limited, however I put it together and took it about the yard and everything went OK. I think it was a very good pick, for the money~~
on August 28, 2014
My 7 year old wanted a metal detector for Christmas. It is now August and he has not lost interest in it. It is great for what he uses it for. No high tech features but gets the job done. He wishes he had a pinpointer to go along with it once he finds an area. Has found lots of treasure at least in his opinion. Loose change found on playgrounds, bits of metal, screws, nails, etc. Lots of fun and he's outside in nature.
on November 14, 2010
I bought this for my 13 year old daughter. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect with such an inexpensive metal detector, but i was very pleased with this item. My daughter and I have a lot of fun with this. We found items in a remote area believed to from the civil war era the very first day we took it out. The box it arrived in was not in great shape and was held together with tape, so of course I was immediately skeptical, but other than the damaged box this product has more than exceeded my expectations.
on March 16, 2012
This was a gift for my 8 year old son who is just starting out. He loves it! It is a great detector for the money. It arrived very quickly which is always a plus when dealing with a child..asking when is it going to be here. He can't wait to go to the beach and use it there.
on January 7, 2013
Bought this for my 11 year old son who had been wanting to find some "treasure". This has been a great starter detector for him. At first any signal he got, he was on the ground digging. With a little more use, he has learned to utilize the trash setting to weed out what isn't worth digging up. If he continues with this hobby we'll buy him a better unit. But for starting out, this one is perfect!
on October 14, 2010
This works but I wish I had bought a higher end model as this one is not as sensitive as I would have liked and I now see why the features of the better ones are important. For play though it's OK, if your serious it's not.
on February 16, 2013
nice unit . great price . very addictive . if you like being out and about trying to find something great .