Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

on December 21, 2010
Looked around for about a month before I went with the Lone Star unit. To me it is the best for a beginner like me. Easy to set up, very clear instructions, easy to get in the field right away. It is made in Texas and that was another reason I leaned toward it.

Today was my first time out with it and I had a blast. Only scanned about an hour in the morning and then another 4 in the late afternoon. Found about a dollars worth of misc. coins, none were terribly old, but still fun. Found a bunch of pull tabs....yuk, but kept after it. Right as the sun was going down I hit on another low tone.......and it was a gold ring! Yep, not kidding and no, I don't work for any company sponsor or anything. Just got lucky. I was 5 minutes from heading home with loose change and foil that fell around the benches and picnic area. I didn't tune out the pull tabs because I read online that a lot of gold hits in the same category (notch) as the pull tabs. So, I just dug them all (about 10) before hitting paydirt!

Overall this unit does very good on silver and nickel and does a good job discriminating between the various metals. The only feature I wish it had is perhaps a depth indicator. But most everything I found today, including the ring, was only 3 inches or less deep so not a deal breaker for sure. As I use the unit and practice a bit more (especially with some of the trash I have found) I am sure I will able to increase my "Cash" to "Trash" find ratio.

I can't say if this one is better than the others, but for the money I think this is a very good detector and I am looking forward to many more adventures with it!
on July 24, 2011
After doing some research online and reading many good reviews on this detector I went ahead and purchased this one.
Having never used a metal detector before I thought the instructions were easy to understand and it worked great right out of the box.
On first metal detecting hunt I went to an old park near my home and after finding countless pull tabs and bottle caps (was set to "all metal") I set it to "Disc" and adjusted the "disc/notch" knob to the 2 o'clock position it ignored most of the bottle caps and pull tabs and after several hours of searching I ended up with 9 quarters, 4 dimes and 6 pennies. A very good detector for the price, it was easy to use and understand and I would highly suggest this one for any newbie getting into the hobby.
on January 20, 2013
This was a gift for my wife who has always wanted to go treasure hunting but never has. It is the perfect starter Metal Detector for her. The instructions are easy to understand and the design is simple. It works. There are a few sites on youtube that show how to tune it as well.
on October 21, 2012
My husband love his little toy he has found alot of nails and metal pieces in the yard he is hoping to find gold soon:) but it does exactly what it is supose to do find metals
on April 15, 2013
Bought it for my husband for Christmas (he asked for it). So far he has used it once in the backyard for about 5 minutes. In that time he figured out that he had to walk around, dig in the dirt and put in a little bit of work. It's been in the garage ever since.

The product itself is good quality, sturdy, does what it says except for the handheld finder. That is worthless. Don't hinge buying this over something better or undecided because of the added 'bonus'. It's not a bonus - it's a bogus. There's a difference.

Moral of it all: Don't buy a top of the line expensive md until you know you are going to really like this sort of thing. Go cheaper until you are hooked and want to do more treasure hunting.
on July 14, 2014
I've used this once in a while for the past 8 years. Yea, mine has lasted 8 years! Sure it can jump around sometimes as to what metal it is and If you have the sensitivity up it can beep from you hitting the ground but when you learn how to use it, it is a great inexpensive, easy to use , reliable machine. I don't get people who want it to say exactly what metal it is with no faults just so they can see if its worth digging. I can't pass anything up. Even if its saying scrap I DIG. I can't resist my curiosity and the thought of what I could be passing it up. DIG! DIG! DIG! honestly though, when it beeps there's metal directly under it, I am 100% satisfied in my 8 years of use.
on September 26, 2013
I caught a few episodes of American Diggers, Diggers and Dig Wars and thought to myself.....I can do that! First I'll need a metal detector and plenty of land to survey and viola! I'm going to be rich! (well maybe not rich.....but comfortable....heck, a few dozen gold and silver coins or some civil war swag, possibly a museum grade historical bedside urn...who knows?) Time to get my inner pirate on search for treasure! (I'll bring my 4 year old son along for support and labor. He's a pretty good digger...) I researched metal detectors for a good few hours wasting precious treasure hunting time. The Bounty Hunter Lone Star Metal Detector is the best in this price range. There are some real junky ones below this price point and as I was soon to find out, there are very high end detectors ($1000+) that are apparently the ones they use of the show. This particular Bounty Hunter is very easy to use. I found a shotgun shell , old soda can, piece of tin roof and a metal slug (which for a hot minute I was convinced it was a pre civil war coin worth $$$$) My buddy borrowed my detector to find loose nails that a contractor dropped around his yard. 2 weeks later I got it back with a dead battery. My friend got the pirate bug and gave up on the nails(which he did find a bunch of) and went in search of treasure. His take? Numerous old hotwheels car, a soda can and a foreign piece of metal which we have narrowed down to either aluminum or of extraterrestrial origin. This thing well........and loses its appeal approximately after 2 or 3 uses. WARNING- If you get this detector you will immediately run to your yard and start searching. Your detector will go off almost WILL start digging (if you think you can make nice little holes with a "plug" that fits right back in...well, good luck with that) Your yard will look like a D-Day reenactment ceremony took place and your wife will lose her ever loving mind. At this point it is a good idea to blame the kid. Just make sure when she sees the damage that only your dirt covered child (with shovel in hand) is around to receive the wrath. Immediately after dodging the wife bullet quickly throw a quarter in one of the holes you made and have your child discover it. This will ease the abandonment issue your kid will face when Mom starts yelling and Dad is nowhere to be found...Bottom line, this thing is fun. I don't uses it as much as I thought I would and I haven't graduated to old guy on the beach wearing socks with sandals ....yet....Happy Digging!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2012
This is a good value for the money. We haven't got a lot of use out of it, but when we do use it, it works fine.
on January 30, 2013
I have not had a lot of chances to use it yet, but the few times I have it has found "treasures". Found some coins etc. Very discriminating and easy to use and set up. The instructions are easy to follow.
on February 20, 2013
Received this for my birthday. So far its been a lot of fun.
Found some change and jewelry on the beach and of
course garbage. Would recommend this for beginners.