5.0 out of 5 stars Only one Major Problem!
Let me start by saying this was a gift for my dad. Hes been wanting a metal detector for as long as I remember. My mom and I did some collaborating and I purchased the Quick Silver on Amazon.

Published on August 18, 2009 by Matt J. Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars Has issues detecting gold.
Published on May 31, 2012 by Adam_G

5.0 out of 5 stars Only one Major Problem!, August 18, 2009
This review is from: Bounty Hunter QSIGWP Quick Silver Metal Detector with Pin Pointer (Lawn & Patio)

My dad opened the package and was thrilled, he immediately opened the box and pulled the contents out...much like a kid on Christmas. He snapped the 3-4 pieces together in just a few minutes. The first thing he mentioned was the extremely light weight of the unit, its literally weightless in your hand.

Overall the fully assembled unit is very sturdy and feels durable yet light in your hand, which will come in handy for those long days of hunting. We popped in the 2-9volt batteries (not included) and headed outside.

My parents have a fairly large yard, and within seconds we were beeping and locating items! We agreed since it was getting late and the mosquitoes were terrible it would just be a test to get a feel for it, but after the first "detection" of course the shovel came out. The screen was reading the first depth indicator, and detecting coins. We dug out a pop can sized hole maybe about 3 inches deep and wow, it was an old dime!

This answered our question about the accuracy, its terrific! We did one more spot, and after deep digging we came up with...and old pull tab off a can, funny thing is even the instruction book tells us this is the biggest annoyance found by metal detectors. All and all I must say this thing is terrific, lots of fun and a reward for your work.

Now your probably asking whats the one major problem I mention in my review title? Well that would have to be my mom getting mad that dads out turning the back yard into swiss cheese! I see this purchase being very much worth the money. I would highly recommend this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars By comparison, July 9, 2009
I have both the Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, and the Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 models. With this reveiw you'll be getting a fair comparison of both. To start with. I dont't really see a clear advantage of the Discovery 3300, (the newest model) over the Quick Silver model. When the Quick Silver detects something that is buried in the ground. You can pretty much be assured there's something there. It doesn't seem to give false readings like the Discovery 3300 does. Although it doesn't detect as deep as the Discovery does. It lives up to it's name. It's much quicker. The Discovery will have you out digging up what I like to call, trash from the past. But not so much with the Quick Silver. Plus the Quick Silver seems to discrimate out an object much better than the Discovery. Yet, it cost a lot less. I have found a lot of coins, and two old metal die cast cars. One from 1946, and 1967, using the Quick Silver model. I bought them both through Amazon. Like everything I have ordered from them. It arrives right on schedule. Now! You can't beat Amazon when it comes to ordering through them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Metal Detector Deal!!!, December 5, 2009
Let me first say I am a metal detector novice and while I have used metal detectors before I have never actually owned a metal detector prior to the Bounty Hunter Quick Silver. I had been wanting to get one for a while because I thought it would be something fun to use to spend some time with my kids on our property. This particular kit came with the metal detector and a mini pin-pointer.

The metal detector itself is made mostly of plastic and feels pretty fragile, but it is so light you can search for hours without fatigue. Plus it is light enough for kids to use. I was really surprised how easy the push button controls and sounds were to get used to and how well it picked up buried objects and I actually found the discrimination feature useful for tracking down one particular metal type.

The included pin-pointer is used to track down objects while you dig so you do not damage them. It only picks up the metal within an inch or so, but came in real handy to locate a lot of small objects in piles we had dug up.

All in all I was very happy with my purchase and think the Quick Silver is a great metal detector for beginners and kids as well. It does have a 5 year warranty which is a plus and is made in the USA to boot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, May 26, 2009
I purchased this metal detector as a birthday present for my father. After opening it, we read through the manual and quickly picked up on operation of the detector and how to distinguish between different types of metal.

We gave it a try just skimming a small portion of our property and ended up finding quite a few objects. Some of the more notable items were a metal toy gun, several very old nails (square shaped), an old belt buckle, and best of all an old copper sleigh bell. Part of our property used to be the location of an old historical church (which was later moved) so it was pretty fun being able to find this much in just a small portion of our property.

Overall, we were very impressed with the quality of this detector and the ease of use. It's very easy to learn to use and to be able to distinguish between different types of metal. I'd recommend this to anyone who is looking to get into this fun and exciting hobby.

3.0 out of 5 stars Has issues detecting gold., May 31, 2012
Overall this is a decent metal detector for the price. It's lightweight, easy to use, and is pretty accurate. The only problem is it doesn't detect gold well at all. I placed several items out to test after I set it up. A silver quarter, silver nickel, some clad coins, gold plated jewelry, and a 14kt gold bracelet. I had no issues getting accurate readings each and every pass on the silver and clad coins. I had problems with the gold plated jewelry and most importantly the 14kt bracelet. It detected the bracelet roughly 1-2 times out of every 8-10 passes.

The pin pointer that came with this detector has even bigger issues. You have to almost be touching an item to get it to alert and it will not detect gold at all whatsoever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Detector, June 10, 2009
Looking for a productive hobby? Detecting is fun. Since kids like to dig in the dirt, take them with you and let them find the coins and stuff. Hint- get a good digging tool like the Gator. The Quick Silver is a solid little unit, but honestly, if I had it to do all over again, I would have bought the higher-rated Tracker 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, July 7, 2013
Used it on the beach for the first time metal detecting and found a bunch of trash, and some money. It worked incredibly well. I was surprised how well it found pennies, and quarters and such. Best of all, it was fun and I never felt tired, even after hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bounty Hunter Finds from the Rich and Gives to the Poor, January 22, 2009
Gspiggs (Carbon County, UT) - See all my reviews
When I purchased the Bounty Hunter metal detector I was - am on a fixed budget and I thought maybe this metal detector wouldn't be that good, but I was surprised how easy it was to use. Right out of the box I found coins in my front yard at the play ground and at the park. Next I plan to go to some of the old towns where I live.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PRODUCT, September 16, 2013
I love this metal detector. It was simple to setup, very accurate & the pin pointer is super helpful. The object reject is my favorite feature, as I live in an area with lots of buried junk.
Lightweight, so would be good for kids or elderly as well. And I actually like the loud beeps, it's makes for a more exciting hunt.
The pin pointer works at ab 1/2" away from the object, but it's more helpful than not. The battery cover does fall off easy, but can be taped.

5.0 out of 5 stars bounty hunter metal detector, August 30, 2011
this metal detector works great and easy to use well worth the money. Iam new at this but i have found out that the pin pointer is a must, makedetecting much easier.Had it two days now and i love it.

Bounty Hunter QSIGWP Quick Silver Metal Detector with Pin Pointer