5.0 out of 5 stars The Bourne Trilogy (Blu-ray)
(Update 08/11/2012: Knowing what I know now, I've completely rewritten my reviews for the box set and individual titles from scratch, which might make some of the comments obsolete. But in exchange, I hope this review seems more in-depth now).

Published on January 30, 2009 by Tony Khamvongsouk

3.0 out of 5 stars package errors
Published on December 19, 2007 by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bourne Trilogy (Blu-ray), January 30, 2009

(Note: Since I can't fit all 3 individual reviews into one entry, I've essentially condensed it down to a general overview of the plot, A/V specs and presentation, and only a list of the special features for each. The numbers you see don't necessarily equate to technical perfection, but those are the average numbers based on each movie and rounded up to the nearest whole or half number. To read the individual reviews, use the links below).

Movie - 5.0

The first time I ever saw this film series was from a total blind-buy. Previously, I never even wanted to touch it because I had this stupid, unexplainable bias against Matt Damon. To this day, I still can't remember why I had such feelings, but I'm glad I got over it, because The Bourne Trilogy is a masterfully-executed story that has changed the face of spy-thriller movies forever. The Bourne Identity starts with the discovery of a man found overboard. He has two gunshot wounds in his back, a Swiss bank account in his hip, and no immediate recollection of who he is. Coincidentally, upon reaching the mainland it seems that he's a master in firearms and fisticuffs when he instinctively disables a couple of poor police officers that just happened to mess with the wrong guy. When he gets to the Swiss bank, he finds a deposit box with a passport and his name: Jason Bourne (Matt Damon). But to his surprise, there's a slew of other passports with the same picture and different names, in addition to lots of cash and even a handgun. Upon setting out to Paris, he meets a woman named Marie (Franka Potente), and the two of them would go on to face assassins and conspiracies while uncovering answers to who he is.

In The Bourne Supremacy, we find the two in Goa living a life of peace after managing to escape pursuit. Meanwhile, an operation in Berlin to uncover a mole amongst the top CIA brass, led by Deputy Director Pamela Landy (Joan Allen), goes south when a Russian federal agent, Kirill (Karl Urban), infiltrates the deal and takes out the informant while leaving a fingerprint of Bourne to cover his tracks. When Kirill attempts to find Bourne and assassinate him, Marie is killed in his stead. And in a rage of anger, Bourne decides to aspire vengeance on all those who had been chasing him. But in the process, he would discover a few more things about his past that would change him for the better.

And in The Bourne Ultimatum, after a British reporter named Simon Ross (Paddy Considine) discovers a new Treadstone replacement agency called Blackbriar, led by Director Noah Vosen (David Strathairn), Bourne figures to find the source of Ross' information so he can finally get the answers he'd been searching for, as well as putting an end to these agencies. Upon Ross' assassination, Bourne instills the aid of former Treadstone handler Nicky Parsons (Julia Stiles) and receives the benefit of the doubt from Pamela Landy as he makes his way back home to New York and discovers the truth to everything he had forgotten.

The Bourne movie franchise has made quite the name for itself. In the hands of Doug Liman, he not only managed to introduce an interesting character with a lot of mystery and intrigue to his background, but also a character we were able to sympathize for. He was a character that lost his memory, re-discovered himself, then tried to leave his dark past behind and escape a corrupt system. After Paul Greengrass took the reigns, he improved what Liman left on the table, further exposing the humanistic side of this character as we see him lose the part of his life he cares about the most. But despite that loss, his humanity would prove to be stronger than his vengeance as even more memories started to surface, making his journey for revenge turn into a search for redemption. And after finding his inner peace, he takes pursuit of those responsible in an effort to destroy the very system that had created him and brought about so much pain and suffering, not only to him, but to many of those involved throughout its history. At this point, I think it's safe to say that Matt Damon's portrayal of Jason Bourne has really cemented itself amongst the iconic spy heroes (next to James Bond and maybe Bryan Mills from Taken).

Video - 5.0

- Video codec: VC-1
- Video resolution: 1080p
- Aspect ratio: 2.40:1, 2.35:1
- Original aspect ratio: 2.39:1

The video quality of the series is pretty much perfect aside from the first one. In my initial review a few years ago, I said I wasn't pleased with Identity, but did a pretty crappy job explaining it. After reading up on the technicalities of film-making since then, I've gotten a much better grasp on how to explain and describe these things. That being said, Identity looks very good in terms of black levels, colors, and sharpness. Looking at a lot of the outdoor shots, especially, and a few indoor, the picture retains enough detail that it makes for a pleasant image for the trilogy's initial entry in HD. However, it does suffer from low contrast, giving it a somewhat murky look, and there are several occasions when dirt and a couple of scratches from print damage pop up. It's not terribly distracting, but it is noticeable.

Supremacy, on the other hand, is a major step up. With the changing of director in Paul Greengrass, he gave the image a much more vibrant look that better accentuates all of the aforementioned qualities. Blacks are darker, colors are much more vivid, contrast is better-balanced, and the sharpness is even sharper. Just looking at the beginning scenes in Goa, there's a tremendous amount of color that really adds more life, and the rest of the movie follows accordingly. Some people say the saturation is a little too high, but I'm in the belief that it was intentional since Grengrass is such a visualist. And there's also a good amount of film grain as well, which again, I believe is intentional. So unless you don't like the color timing or are a grain-hater, then those are about the only problems you might have. Finally, Ultimatum has the same kind of photography, only with a difference of intensity. Supremacy ran a little hot in terms of color, but I feel it added to the overall tone of the film itself (Bourne getting hot and angry for revenge, hence the hot look to the picture). However, Ultimatum is essentially where things come full circle and the adventure ends. Because of that, this is probably about as "normal" of a color level as you'll get. So there you have it. Aside from the first movie, there's not much else to complain about.

Audio - 5.0

Languages
- English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
- French: DTS 5.1
- Spanish: DTS 5.1

Subtitles
- English SDH, French, Spanish

Again, aside from Identity, the audio is just about perfect. All three movies use the DTS-HD MA codec, and all of them sound fantastic. The only problem with Identity isn't so much the quality, but the quantity. As in the film itself just isn't as heavily-mixed as the others. In his commentary, Doug Liman stressed how he wanted to make Identity a drama first and an action movie second. Because of this, I think it reflects in the sound mix. The actual depth and quality to the track itself is pretty buoyant in terms of separation and directionality and gets especially aggressive during the fight with the first Treadstone agent. Rear speaker activity also gets a really good workout during the car chase sequence when cars start turning the corners. And dynamic range is excellent in the scene where Bourne is fighting Clive Owen's character outside the farmhouse.

Additionally, when Greengrass takes over as director for the sequels, the audio gets a tremendous upgrade, just as the video did. Even for as low-key as the opening scenes are in Supremacy, the dynamic depth alone is noticeably louder and more precise. Action sequences offer up even more aggressive mixing such as the fight between Bourne and the last remaining Treadstone agent. This scene in particular displays a very exact design that has no music and does a great job isolating its sound effects into the confines of that small, compact area, adding an extra layer of ferocity and tension to it. And the car chase in Moscow towards the end is brimming with activity as the vehicles skid, crash, and break all over the place. But even still, Ultimatum manages to top that. Immersion is outstanding from the crowd noise for the scene at Waterloo Station, isolation is more intense in the fight between Bourne and Desh, and the car chase in New York is a sonic masterpiece of mayhem and music. By the way, John Powell's score is another big factor to the overall sound of these films. His string and percussion works really help to compliment the storytelling that even exudes a subtle amount of LFEs through his awesome drum pieces. Outside from the one minor issue with Identity, all of these films sound superb.

Extras - 4.0

There are quite a bit of extras, but if I were to highlight just one feature from each movie, I'd say at the very least(!) give the audio commentaries a listen. And if you like technical stuff, the U-Control Picture in Picture for Supremacy is well-worth a watch as well.

The Bourne Identity:

- Audio Commentary (Director Doug Liman)
- The Ludlum Identity (SD; 12:49)
- The Ludlum Supremacy (SD; 12:41)
- The Ludlum Ultimatum (SD; 23:57)
- Alternate Opening and Ending (SD; 10:46 altogether)
- Deleted Scenes (SD; 6:58)
- Extended Farmhouse Scene (0:58)
- The Birth of the Bourne Identity (SD; 14:31)
- The Bourne Mastermind: Robert Ludlum (SD; 5:44)
- Access Granted: An Interview with Co-Writer Tony Gilroy (SD; 4:03)
- From Identity to Supremacy: Jason & Marie (SD; 3:37)
- The Bourne Diagnosis (SD; 3:25)
- Cloak and Dagger: Covert Ops (SD; 5:31)
- Inside a Fight Sequence (SD; 4:42)
- Moby "Extreme Ways" Music Video (SD; 3:38)

The Bourne Supremacy:

- Audio Commentary (Director Paul Greengrass)
- Explosive Deleted Scenes (SD; 10:46)
- Matching Identities: Casting (SD; 5:23)
- Keeping it Real (SD; 4:58)
- Blowing Things Up (SD; 4:00)
- On the Move with Jason Bourne (SD; 4:45)
- Bourne to be Wild: Fight Training (SD; 4:21)
- Crash Cam: Racing Through the Streets of Moscow (SD; 5:58)
- The Go-Mobile Revs Up the Action (SD; 6:49)
- Anatomy of a Scene: The Explosive Bridge Chase Scene (SD; 4:40)
- Scoring with John Powell (SD; 4:46)
- The Bourne Mastermind (Part 2) (SD; 4:42)
- The Bourne Diagnosis (Part 2) (SD; 5:39)

The Bourne Ultimatum:

- Audio Commentary (Director Paul Greengrass)
- Deleted Scenes (SD; 12:22)
- Be Bourne Spy Training
- Man on the Move: Jason Bourne (SD; 23:58 altogether)
- Roof Pursuit (SD; 5:39)
- Planning the Punches (SD; 4:59)
- Driving School (SD; 3:23)
- New York Chase (SD; 10:46)
- U-Control

Overall - 5.0

So there you have it. If you've read my individual reviews for these movies, there's not much else I can say. The Bourne Trilogy is one of the best in its genre, and I'm really thankful for its influence in a lot of other recent entries (the Daniel Craig Bond movies and Liam Neeson's roles in both Taken and Unknown). It refreshed the genre with a mix of mystery, grit, and emotional depth that has really raised the standard. This box set is a very good deal, and I'm glad I made that blind-buy when I did. The A/V specs are essentially perfect outside of the first film, and they're all chock full of meaningful special features. If you haven't seen these films yet, make the time. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of extras, September 9, 2009
Perhaps the people who said this disc set has no extras haven't actually looked at the back of the DVD cases. Each movie has a lot of bonus material that is quite interesting. There is feature commentary with the director, interviews with cast members, deleted scenes, fight sequence planning, driving school, going on location, and lots of other really cool stuff (too much for me to write it all down here). If you are interested in how these movies were made you will really enjoy all of the bonus features.

4.0 out of 5 stars A note on the packaging, January 27, 2009
Thunderhead22 (Decatur, GA USA) - See all my reviews
I couldn't figure out how to open this set. I was tugging on the sides. Then I tried to slip the case off vertically. I was on the verge of forcing open the box when I decided to google the set, hoping to see something about the packaging scheme since there is no clear indication as to how to open it. Before you force this thing open, take note: The cover image of Matt Damon is a magnet. It flips open to the left, allowing access to the discs. Enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars package errors, December 19, 2007
This review is from: The Jason Bourne Collection (The Bourne Identity / The Bourne Supremacy / The Bourne Ultimatum) (DVD)
This set is a silver box containing the individual releases of all 3 Bourne movies. The first thing I noticed was a new 2007 DVD of The Bourne Identity with the spine number 61103847. The package looks like the previous "Explosive Extended Edition," except this one's just called "Explosive Edition," and lists Feature Commentary by Doug Liman as an extra feature. I was looking forward to hearing the commentary, and when I plugged in the DVD, it wasn't there! Even though the disc itself says 2007 on it, it's exactly the same as the 2004 version. If you're not into commentaries, then this is a great set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Awesome Blu Ray Home Theatre Experience, May 16, 2009
WOW! I already had all 3 on DVD and decided to get these to go with my new Blu Ray player. It's no wonder they won awards for sound editing. The picture definitely seemed a little clearer than the DVD's but the sound was incredible. Already good on the DVD version in my home theatre this took it to a new level and I'm not regretting the $65 for upgrading my set. The best thing about it was I have a Sony Blu Ray and a Sony 7:1 AV receiver. Every movie I've played I've had to cycle through my settings to get the best sound. I'm not sure if it was just this movie, my set-up or what but it wouldn't let me change the setting before the movie got started saying it wasn't used. The sound was absolutely perfect so I'm glad it didn't let me mess with it. Motorcylces racing from back left to front right speaker, gun shots echoing and traveling through from front to back. My son and I were laughing at times at how cool the sound was. Visually I use an HD projector that throws a very clear 100 inch picture, I lose a little video quality but this was the best home theatre experience I've had. The movies are great but the Blu Ray version is incredible with the proper set-up. I have other Blu Ray movies that have not provided as good of an experience as these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing fancy just the movies, November 30, 2008
The box set is nothing fancy, 3 Bourne movies with few bonus material on each disk. I like it since I love the movies. If you are looking for hours of extra content, packaged in a beautiful looking folded up box set, also containing posters or picture arts, this is not it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Movies are THE BEST...don't be fooled by packaging..., December 26, 2007
Seriously, don't be fooled. You get this "Super Cool" silver box and when you open it...all it is, is the 3 movies as if you bought them off the used rack shelf for $5 each. Seriously, it's a waste of time. Just buy them separately. This is so much to the point that each individually wrapped movie has tape on them where the security tag would usually go.

The movies are THE BEST...but don't be fooled by this packaging. And the bonus material is a COMPLETE let down. There is so much they could have done...instead we get a documentary of the writer. It's interesting but still, I would have loved to see more on the stunts, Damon's acting, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Triolgy - The Set Makes The Story Even Better!, December 16, 2008
While I never read the books I really enjoyed each of the Bourne movies. The story is intriguing and the action exciting. Not a mindless "shoot-em-up" flick, the storyline will keep you engaged.

The DVD set has the movies, of course, but I really enjoy the extras on each DVD. The technical aspects, such as how some of the scenes were done, is fascinating. But also the rationale behind some of the choices made by the director, etc. is interesting.

Watching each film in sequence, and not separated by years waiting for the next "installment", I caught a number of subtle elements I had previously missed. Things like that make it even more enjoyable. I'm now more impressed with the story (screenplay) itself.

Because of the intensity of the storyline, it's great to watch as you run on a treadmill! Motivating - as you connect with the character. I find myself running longer since I'm don't want to stop in the middle of a chase scene or a fight scene. To me, that's a plus.

But, hey, it's also fun for "sit-on-the-couch-and-forget-about-your-day" situations. Another plus.

Buy the set and enjoy how the movie links to the book. Like I mentioned, I hadn't read them but the DVD helps point out the choices made. In fact, I'm likely to read the books now and compare - since Amazon has them as well (at great prices).

And that's what makes it a positive experience - value. The Amazon price is tough to beat!

And I received mine before the promise date - another plus for Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW., June 7, 2010
Great set here, a must have in any blu-ray collection.

1080p is stunning and the utilization of surround sound is jaw dropping!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal for Great Movies, November 13, 2007
I love all three Bourne movies and have been searching for them in HD. I have priced these individually at different stores and have found Amazon's bundle price to be by far the least expensive. Get these while they are available....it is a great deal!