5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and fair portrayal of a great coach
Published on December 8, 2009 by J. Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of great facts and vignettes, but jumps around a LOT
Published on February 15, 2010 by ManUfan

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of great facts and vignettes, but jumps around a LOT, February 15, 2010
Disclaimer: Seminole fan for life. While this book is a must-have for any Seminole fan or college football fanatics, I feel this could have been written/put together a little better. Mike Freeman does an excellent job of providing a deep picture of Bobby's life and the Seminole football program through the years. There are many, many great stories of the building of Bowden's career and how his character and wit have contributed to his coaching wins, not just X's and O's.

However, I feel the book relatively lacks continuity and leaves out many details along the way (how the championship teams/seasons were put together). Also, the chapter titles barely provide insight into what is actually contained in the chapters themselves. For example, the chapter on Ann, Bowden's wife, starts off about Ann, and the final half is back to stories about Bobby. The chapter "Wide Right" (about the 4 missed field goals against Miami through the years) is mostly about Deion Sanders and Terrell Buckley, and does not touch on the said field goals until the final 2-3 pages of the chapter. I was also left scratching my head when Freeman begins to tell us about Bowden leaving West Virginia, and taking the job at FSU in the mid 1970s, to find out that the next chapters will be about Bowdens' coaching sons Tommy and Terry. I was hoping to get a continuous glimpse into Bobby's transition to FSU. I feel the chapters regarding Tommy and Terry could have been placed in different spots, perhaps in the section of the 1990s when they were coaching at Clemson and Auburn, respectively.

Like I said before, this book contains great details and stories, however, I was left wanting to learn more about how Bobby "Forged a Football Dynasty" and how he built his two championship seasons.

Bottom line: great to add to any Seminole fan's collection. If you're looking for a complete history of Bobby and what he has done at Florida State, I suggest reading this and other books about Bowden.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and fair portrayal of a great coach, December 8, 2009
J. Davis (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Even a hard-core Gator fan like myself ends this book with a lot of appreciation for Bobby Bowden's accomplishments. The author, while clearly sympathetic to Bowden (he considers him the greatest college coach ever), presents a fair and balanced portrayal of the Florida State legend (I hope Fox News doesn't sue me!) Bowden's accomplishmants are highly praised, but his faults are also acknowledged (e.g. Peter Warrick, Laverunes Coles, etc..)This book is not just about Bowden as a football coach, but also as a husband (of a fascinating woman in her own right) and as a father of six (one of them even coaches against him in the ACC). I highly recommend this book to any college football fan.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ooops, April 10, 2010
This review is from: Bowden (Kindle Edition)
A tad rambling, but the most grevious error is in fact checking. How on earth did Mike Freeman come to the conclusion that FSU beat Florida in Bobby's first season 1976. DUDE, FSU LOST THAT GAME. Your entire book is suspect. Am I the only person on earth who caught that?

Bowden: How Bobby Bowden Forged a Football Dynasty
Bowden: How Bobby Bowden Forged a Football Dynasty by Mike Freeman (Paperback - August 10, 2010)
Used & New from: $6.00