Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bower SLY500PN High-Power 500mm f/8 Telephoto Lens for Nikon
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Style: Nikon|Change

on October 24, 2012
I wond up selling this lens to a person that had come over to look at a body I was selling. Would I buy it again? Well I got mine used and paid $65.00 for it. So probably I would. I picked one of these up for shooting the moon, not for any other reason. Here's some useful information on the lens. First of all it is incredibly light. My Nikon 70-300 weighs more than this lens does. Second of all, the T Mount is simple to attach, just turn it backwards on the lens and you'll feel the threads line up, then tighten it up. Most important this will work with ALL Nikon F mount cameras. However, you need to understand that this is not a CPU lens, it sends no info to the camera body. Meaning you must use it in manual mode. I set my lens to f/8 and used the manual setting on the camera to set the shutter speed. If you follow the camera meter, the shots are going to be way over exposed. So use an exposure meter, or a chart. I shot a half moon at f/8 for 1/1000 of a second. ISO 400. I'm using this on a D2H so I attached the camera to a tripod rather than the lens. Rather have a cheap lens slip than my camera. The lens is long so any vibration is going to be very visible. What I did was set the shutter speed, look through the view finder, (Here is where I miss my F3HP) and wait until the lens had steadied and then used a remote to fire the shutter. Just to see what it would do I used the 10 second timer, and the lens was steady, but there was no wind at all. You'll need a tripod to use this and a remote release is a must. Will I keep it, or sell it? The shots I got of the moon were good, could see craters and the like. I'll have a better idea when I shoot a full moon with it. You can see the result of my first use of the lens in the image of the moon.
review image
77 comments|147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2013
I bought this lens for the price point and knowing that I would not be using a 500mm full time and I was not spending $10,000-$16,000 for the Canon model. I have been a photographer for years, formerly doing professional portraits and now as mostly a hobby so I have no qualms about using a manual lens.

I tested it this last weekend after it arrived Friday on wildlife in my backyard and I have gotten some awesome photos with it! Squirrels, birds, chipmunks, etc all sharp and crystal clear. If you are not experienced with manual lenses this might not be for you but if like me you are or willing to take the time to learn this lens is well worth the money!!
11 comment|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2014
I've used this now for several months. The optic quality for the price is very good: very little falloff at the edges. Not great for low light. It's not a fast lens, and it's manual, which suits my needs perfectly. I shoot wildlife and landscapes. You can shoot with it off tripod/monopod, but you have to shoot at a fairly high ISO (1600), and it takes some getting used to moving that long lens and getting the right aperture. You will spend up to twenty grand for great long lenses with autofocus. Okay the optics are not two grand optics, but they are pretty good, and really good for the price. The manufacturer has put the money into the optics and the aperture ring. No frills, but if you know how to manually focus and get the light and speed right, this is a great lens for shooting distant subject.
on April 30, 2014
I wanted close up shots of wildlife from 100 yards or so that my 200 mm lens would not do. At first it would not lock on my Nikon 3200 until I realized I needed to turn the lens 180 degrees and it locks just fine. I can take photos without a tripod in good light, but a tripod is better. Not one complaint especially for the price. Just alot of fun to use.
on January 16, 2014
For the rare times that I need this distance (PA Wilds Elk Rut photo trip), this is perfect. It does take a little extra work to get a sharp image, but my practice shots were very satisfying. I tried it out through the glass front door of our building and took a picture of a Parking sign down the drive and across the road. As Elk are not as fast moving as deer or birds, I'll have plenty of time to work the manual focus. It seems to have been a good decision for me.
on August 13, 2014
I am a photographer who does a lot of wildlife (birds) shots. This lens is used with my DSLR Nikon camera. it takes great photos, but be warned it is VERY heavy and long. you will need a tripod to get a clear (non blurry) shot. you should also have a remote as any touch to the camera (shutter button) will cause a whole lot of shake!!!!
on January 11, 2014
Since I had already read the reviews, I knew what I was buying and what to expect when using this lens, so I was not disappointed. This is NOT an easy lens to use. You MUST use a tripod and you should use a remote shutter release, and you will have to adjust focus and aperture manually, and you can't shoot anything less than 30 feet away. But what you can do is get good, sharp telephoto shots for a very low price. If you know what you are doing, this is a good value for the money. If you want point and shoot simplicity, this is not the right lens for you.
on June 18, 2014
I saw the price of this product and thought I might as well check it out because I am more of a hobby photographer. I didn't think much of it and was not expecting to be blown away from the quality of this lens. To my surprise I was actually able to achieve some nice shots. Albeit I had to use a tripod AND put a timer on my camera. I would not buy this if I was more of an avid photographer, I used this lens with my Nikon D3000 and it fit securely.
on January 24, 2014
Price is right if you have the time to work on exposure and settings. Must have a tripod for best results. Great deal
on June 2, 2014
This is a fun lens to play with but I ultimately returned it because the T-ring adapter pushed the lens out past the focal plane of the camera just enough that it was impossible to focus on infinity. Given that, it doesn't focus on anything closer than 33 feet for farther away than about 150 feet, which severely limits its use. All of the wildlife I wanted to photograph runs away before I can get close enough to focus.