5.0 out of 5 stars Like nothing you've ever experienced before
Published on September 20, 2010 by TariTV

3.0 out of 5 stars Sexy look, sound is just OK
I'm a mid-level audiophile, and I tested as many powered 2.0 speakers that I could find to replace my broken Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System (Black) (by the way, excellent sound on the Klipsch but the quality isn't so great). I loved the full sound that the Klipsch provided, but didn't want to have a subwoofer to put under my desk anymore...
Published on January 17, 2011 by I. Travel

5.0 out of 5 stars Like nothing you've ever experienced before, September 20, 2010
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Hi-Fi Speakers (Pair) (Electronics)
These speakers are spectacular. Once upon a time I wrote the longest review on Amazon ever comparing the Bose Companion 5's with Klipsch THX and a set of Logitechs - all 2.1 speaker sets. The Bose Companion 5's won out for their bright clarity, surround effect, rich bass etc. What I started noticing, across every set that I have since then tried, was that I just got tired of listening. . I have now listened to probably 20 different ipod docks and self powered speaker solutions, have taken home 10, (and returned 7) and truly there is no sound quite as clear and perfect as these speakers.

I wanted to step it up from those first three units I tried and brought home three of what I thought would be the next top of the line contenders: AudioEngine's A5bookshelf speakers, Focal's 2.1 system with subwoofer, and the B&W MM-1s. I had them all connected for a week at the same time to my iMac via USB and stereo mini plug. Song by song, hour by hour I listened, and felt the music sitting, standing, dancing, working out. Sometimes I changed between the speakers several times within one song, back and forth, listening, feeling the following: Jazz like Diana Krall and Ray Charles, Rap like Fabolous and Missy Elliot, Oldies like Four Seasons and Elvis, R&B like Chris Brown and Christina Aguilera, tribal, dub, lounge like Thievery Corporation, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, soundtracks, musicals, classical, rock, Spanish Guitar like Ottmar Liebert, Spa music, a tiny tiny hint of country or Ozzy Osborn and even Disney soundtracks. Nothing came close to the sound of the B&Ws.

Here's what I found:
The AudioEngine A5's are powerful. They deliver hard hitting bass and seem to be very clear - until you hear something better. Their application is more for a party if you ask me. Zero tolerance for low volumes and very boomy sounding compared to the rest... but I'd keep them if I had a different application- like maybe a pool party. The Focal's - a $600 speaker system on the Apple site (much less on amazon) were also powerful and had a really really clean amazing sound... until you play the MM-1s and it sounds like someone is holding their hand up to the mouth of the artist as they try to push their voice through the other sounds. That and I realized I had other systems to do what this does.

Adjectives for the MM-1s: Brilliant, clear, perfection, balanced, desirable, delicious, pleasurable, shocking, powerful, harmonious...
I simply cannot get enough of these speakers.

- If you live in an apartment they have the added bonus of not disturbing your neighbors at loud volumes because there is no subwoofer yet the bass still cranks.

- I thought I had rediscovered music a year ago but this is not the case. Every other system to date, while it may have been able to go a little louder, or handle deeper bass, or give me that up-in-the-club-feeling, simply cannot give the detail, clarity of sound, spaciousness and all out deliciousness to listen to as these speakers do.

- I wanted to clear even more clutter from my desk and floor and lose the subwoofer from the Bose. This setup allows you to have 2 s m a l l, elegant, sexy speakers on your desk without any other clutter or unnecessary wires.

- They're tuned specifically for up close listening and do sound best as such, but quality is not lost when filling the room with sound or standing 20 feet away

- The remote is a nice bonus and the volume control interacts with your full system volume so you're not constantly adjusting speaker volume against computer volume- there is just one.

- This system has a built in DAC to make your sound soar

- Love that the remote is wireless- what was bose thinking?

- They do not distort at full volume- unless you have a poorly recorded piece of music

Bowers and Wilkins.
It's important to remember who these people are (something I didn't know when I bought the MM-1s) B&W are one of THE definitive heavy hitters. $2000 bookshelf speakers, $15,000 (and up) for floor standing speakers. Most of what we listen to is recorded on B&W equipment and so forth. This company knows sound and they deliver it masterfully - their goal being to deliver exactly what the artist intended without any adjustments. And by the way I find these MUCH better than either the Zeppelin and Zeppelin air- both of which I have owned.

They decimate the competition.

If you looooove rap and hip-hop, R&B and pop as I do you will *think* you want the other set that pumps more deep bass and maybe goes a little louder. You will convince yourself that you need a subwoofer. Trust me you do not. It will win out for your two minute eargasm but it will not win out in the long run. The age old adage for outstanding speakers- that you will hear things you never heard in your music before, holds true here. These speakers are suitable across every single genre of music I have heard to date.

There is one things these speakers cannot do on *some songs,* and that is heavy hard hitting Deep Subwoofer Bass, but they will surprise you. It's really only on side by side comparisons you'll notice it. Subwoofer bass is just a different animal... it forces itself to resonate in your chest- which I love. But remember these speakers application - right in front of you sitting down. You want this sounding good across super low volumes as well as high and very few speakers can do that. Plus many of us have other systems for different applications. I've got a SoundDock in my bedroom because at low volumes it's amazing to wake up to. In my living room I've got my surround system with subwoofer and such for bigger parties and movies when I'm 15 feet away.

I'll close with a little trick: You can AirPlay to multiple speakers and if you have a system that has bass in the other room it will carry throughout the house making the MM1s sound even deeper.

That said these speakers are not lacking in any way. They're the size of two Starbucks cups and the sound that comes out of them, minute by minute, song after song, day after day is without a doubt MIND BENDING. I walk into the room and every time my eyes widen at the sound that pours out of these mythic pieces of art. Such is my faith in this company I am selling the Bose and getting the Zeppelin for the hallway so that I can have true hi-fi everywhere. I've heard it's a bit 'bassier' than the MM-1s which is what I want anyhow. Give these things a chance... really listen to your music you will see what a breathtaking delight these things are.

Now if if you made it this far, in May 2012 I discovered the Phillips Fidelio Soundsphere AirPlay speakers. I'll write a review on them but to date these are by far the most outstanding speakers in their class and price that I have EVER listened to. EVERYTHING is there including subwoofer sounding bass. They move air. PHILLIPS?? Right? I would never have believed it till I tried it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodness, September 13, 2010
PreventRage (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Mmmm.

Perspective. I'm spoiled. And possibly a loon. For years I've been buying nicer and nicer "computer speakers" for games (and beeps). Next to them are a pair of 20 year old B&W Silver Signatures (amped by a Sonos ZonePlayer, please no purist hate mail, it's pretty good, really) (for music).

A few weeks ago the latest incarnation (Creative GigaWorks T40.2) suddenly started emitting a sound rather like an astronaut's popcorn machine. Four days after the 1-year warrantee ran out, it turns out.

One prodigal moment of retail therapy later, I had ordered a pair of MM1's.

I should probably point out that after a week or so of emails back and forth, Creative decided to replace the T40s after all. Rather gracious, really.

And now, a few days later, I've been listening to the MM1s for a couple of hours. They're freakishly nice. I think computer speakers are done. These are they. If you can afford them, buy them. Presumably if you can afford ridiculous toys like this then your time is worth rather a lot too. Don't spend any more of that on this topic.

I even tried comparing them to the Silver Sigs. Miraculously the MM1s are ... ok, well, they're not as good. Apparently I got a bit caught up in the moment. But maybe that's the point; they inspire delusions of grandeur.

They also get perfect marks when it comes to "logistics". They're small. They carry around their own amps and DACs. No subwoofer cube under the desk. They take a digital (USB) signal, so you don't have to listen to your hard drive motor. And they look sharp, without looking Apple.

Although I just might be starting to tire of blue LEDs.

And Dragon Age and StarCraft sound great. Just cranked up the audio channels to max and sat in the cantina listening to other people stirring their drinks. Lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal., December 5, 2011
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Hi-Fi Speakers (Pair) (Electronics)
I'm just going to give review readers a few words of advice to help decipher some of the reviews on this site. If you noticed, all the positive reviews are made by those with highly implied credentials--implied not only by their noted experience, but proven by their grammar. The negative reviews aren't backed by any substantial relativity to the product at hand. These speakers are an absolute steal for the price. They offer the whole package--high quality drivers, high quality amplification and top-notch signal processing--so no room for error. Although the performance of these is relatively seamless, you won't get good results without high-quality music--FLAC, WAV, or professionally recorded CDs. These are far beyond MP3s lossy compression, and if you try to use MP3s, you'll pay the price. Now, I'm going to address the most reoccurring negatives in the reviews. As for the apparent "lack of bass due to the lack of subwoofer," there is no lack of bass--speaking relatively. These obviously aren't designed to shake windows or move mass amounts or air; they're designed to accurately reproduce bass the way it was recorded, which it does almost flawlessly. It would seem obvious that these speakers aren't designed for SPL or subsonic exaggeration, but by some of the negative reviews, that fact isn't obvious enough. Also worth noting, these speakers should only be used via USB connection. The internal DAC isn't the only reason for this. There is an integrated equalization process that manipulates the frequency response to particularly suit these speakers exactly--another important part of the aforementioned "whole package." Another "flaw" these speakers apparently have is most typically refereed to as "moving out of the sweet spot." Upon further investigation, you'll notice that non of the positive reviews(written by those with the powerful credentials)mention this as a problem. I'll tell you why. These speakers are designed to be listened to while directly focused at your ears. This may seem obvious, but let me expand on this further. The professionals don't mention this as a flaw because they know that the waveguide on these speakers isn't designed for acoustical seperation across a room, but for concentration to a relatively single point--hence the exceptional clarity. The fidelity that these speakers offer simply could not be focused at every point in a room--it's not possible. If they were designed for room-filling sound, the sound waves would bounce off the hard surfaces in your environment and reach your ears at different times, cause perceived distortion. Headphones don't suffer the same fate as speakers since the sound is directed straight at your ears and nowhere else--somewhat similar to the design these speakers have! Essentially, the design's main concern is fidelity and realism, not room-filling party speakers. I don't have any issues with these speakers, and the only people that do are either using them for the wrong purposes, or have them setup incorrectly. Thanks! Spidy out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every dollar, November 24, 2010
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Hi-Fi Speakers (Pair) (Electronics)
If you can afford these speakers, treat yourself. The sound is beyond anything I've heard from computer speakers. I think the built-in DAC adds significantly to the sound quality. You will notice a difference if you run audio into the aux in jack vs. the USB; the USB connection is far superior because it utilizes the DAC. These B&Ws aren't cheap, but if you have an ear for quality, you will appreciate them. I also own the Bose Companion 3 speakers, which are fabulous. However, the B&Ws offer far superior detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, they are indeed the best multimedia PC speakers right now., April 29, 2011
insoc (Miami, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Hi-Fi Speakers (Pair) (Electronics)
Read some reviews on a magazine about these speakers and went here to read more reviews. Altough I've know the B&W brand before as a highly rated audiophile speakers company I've always follow a rule when buying audio products and that is to hear it myself and then decide. Well, I went to an Apple store and heard them and got a very good impresion about the sound and image of those speakers. I did buy them for my PC and gave them my final test in my home. Well, I have to say I am very impressed and ended with a very big smile. I love audio (I consider myself and audiophile) and these is why I don't hesitate to buy expensive speakers if those will provide me a great audio experience and these speakers do deliver. What I like most, apart from the cristaline and warm sound they provide, is how good they are at creating an IMAGE or what is called the 3D sound every good stereo setup should provide. In most cases to obtain this you have to place the speakers in an angle to create an imaginary triangle between the speakers and you. Well, in with this speakers one only have to place the speakers in front of you, one on the left side, one in the rigth side, always maintaining the same lenght, and you in the center, -that will be you in front of the monitor or screen-, and the IMAGE and 3D sound is there. I can hear perfectly well the warm voice in the center, the drum also in the center but behind, the piano at the left, the guitar at the right, etc. Just for this good IMAGING they provide the speakers should be worth the price but you also can add with this speakers the great sound as I said before. I would describe the sound as a very european-sound, like my Triangle speakers or the similar sounding Focal speakers for home use, that is: crystal clear high, warm, fresh and defined vocals and good but not overwhelming bass. You can feel the bass but it won't shake the room as some people would like. The sound these MM-1 speakers provide could be defined as the most anti-BOSE sounding speakers, so if you have heard BOSE speakers before you can get the idea. These MM-1 speakers have their own DAC which is oustanding an even rivals my former Auzentech HD X-FI card and doesn't produce the unfortunate and annoying cracking and popping some X-FI cards do. By saying that, of course, you can imagine that the MM-1 DAC is way better than any (and I mean any) on board sound. Anyway, this is one of the few products which is expensive but worth every dollar. Sure, it could be cheaper but as of now there is no competition for this so I guess they can price them like that.

5.0 out of 5 stars May sound crazy but these speakers will convert your desk into a shrine for the enjoyment of music!!, November 12, 2010
Anuj Agarwal (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Hi-Fi Speakers (Pair) (Electronics)
I've been looking for a good set of desktop speakers and of course came across glowing reviews for these speakers in magazines and sites. I heard them at the Apple store and they sounded much better than any other speaker in the store. That still does not give you enough appreciation of these speakers because you're trying them out in a loud environment but you get some idea.

So i liked them, but believe me - i tried really hard to see if i can get something similar without spending $500 and just could not find any other speaker that stood out in reviews like this one did. I gave up and bought these.

Try them out in the quiet of your home at your desk and you will be *blown away*!!

There are speakers that will cost you in the $10k to $20k range that will produce the same listening experience in a room. These speakers offer that *same listening experience* in a much smaller field - within a few feet (you sitting at your desk). So for $500, they actually provide excellent value for money.

If you hear a live performance on these speakers, you wont just hear a clap, you'll get a feel of how fleshy the hand is that's doing the clapping. You wont just hear the performance, you will hear the sound of the singer shifting in their chair. The breath that they draw while singing is noticeable. Its an amazing experience. It will make you appreciate some of your music like never before and be critical of a recording that you earlier thought was great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Audiophile quality for the mass market, October 12, 2011
G. Camara (Sao Jose dos Campos, SP Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Hi-Fi Speakers (Pair) (Electronics)
I am a avid music fan, with a large digital music collection. I've just bought the MM-1 to replace my home computer speakers, a BOSE Companion 5. I also have a BOSE Music Monitor at the office. The MM-1s are in a different league than BOSE. I'm a BOSE fan, but there's a clear difference. The BOSE products try to compensate for the perceived limitations of computer audio processor by reprocessing the audio signal. The result is quite good, until you compare the BOSE sound with real audiophile quality speakers. There's a certain squeaky monotony to the BOSE sound, which sounds artificial to my ears. But, until now, there was nothing better for computer music. I've had a Klipsch 2.0 speakers, which I've given to a friend long ago.

My music reference is my traditional music system: a Marantz CD player, Marantz amplifier, a pair of B&W DM 601 speakers, which are dated, but still have wonderful sound for classics and jazz. When I found out that B&W was applying their expertise to computer audio, I was excited. I bought the MM-1s at Apple's NYC store, brought them back home to Brazil, and I'm simply amazed by their natural sound. Crisp and clear on classics, jazz and bossa nova. If you're a heavy metal or hard rock fan, you will certainly miss the weight that a big subwoofer would provide. For the rest of us, the MM-1s deliver the nuanced sound we expect to hear when working at the computer.

If you buy the MM-1s, allow me to suggest that you also get an audiophile music player. Don't use iTunes or Windows Media Player. Get something like Decibel, Amarra, or Audirvana. These programs will reprocess the audio stream to match the speaker's quality. For the MM-1s, this means converting from 16-bit CD standard to 24-bit. I'm using Audirvana Plus and I love the clarity of a good player combined with a good speaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-balanced Sound, February 27, 2011
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Hi-Fi Speakers (Pair) (Electronics)
These are my first high-quality speakers being used with a computer, replacing a set of JBL Creature IIs and sitting next to a set of SoundStick IIs. First, a disclaimer - if you want floor-thumping heavy bass, go find a 2.1 system. Judging from a number of reviews on here, many folks' music taste must run towards bass-heavy music.

What you will find (after a suitable burn-in period) is incredibly balanced and detailed sound that will shock you coming from a package this size. Great sound stage, clean and precise reproduction of your music (as is the B+W signature sound). As many others have said, you'll see the best sound using the onboard DAC through USB, and these will really shine with lossless music files.

Hope you enjoy them like I have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe the hype, January 11, 2013
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Hi-Fi Speakers (Pair) (Electronics)
Since nobody has gone into the mechanics of these great speakers, I guess it's up to me. The reason the mm-1 is so good is because it BI-AMPS both speakers, there are 4 class d-amps running at 18 watts apiece, 1 amp for each highs, and 1 amp for each lows. As any audiophile knows, BI-AMPING seriously increases your fidelity, by not asking the amp to handle both bass and treble frequencies at the same time, and making the crossover happen before the amps, so no fidelity and power loss by having the crossover between the bass and treble drivers. It also has a built in dac. This saves you from buying a high quality usb dac, another 300-500 dollars added on, and also from buying some high quality interconnects to run from the dac to your speakers, another 200-400 dollars added on. So for $500 (it's present price in 2013) you save buying a usb dac, some nice interconnects, and you get a BI-AMPED speaker that is clean down to 57hz, and clean up to 25khz. To those who complain that it can't rock a room, my family room is 15x25 and I would never consider rocking at full volume past 10pm, that would be rude to my neighbors. It sounds just as clean at full volume btw, never clips. And it has an uncanny knack of having the sound clearly come from the center, aka the soundstage disappears, something i'm used to hearing from multi thousand dollar systems. To those who complain that you can only put them 3-4 feet apart, that is because the soundstage doesn't work past that point, the speakers aren't powerful enough running 4 18watt amps to make the soundstage wider than 3-4 feet. The soundstage is perfectly designed so when you are at your computer, the music appears to be coming from the computer (at least those sounds that are mixed to be in the center), but it most definitely isn't your tiny computer speakers. They are only 4x4x6.5 inches, so to think they can even give a perfect soundstage at 3-4 feet apart is extraordinary. So when you rock out a huge room, you're not getting a huge stereo image like a 400 watt system would offer, but you are filling up the entire room with clean loud music to dance to, as much as 72 watts can offer.

I take these with me on the plane, on a train, on the boat, with a goat, in the car, to a bar, in the hotel, down in Soquel. They easily fit in carry on luggage, i'm buying a 200 watt inverter to bring my computer and the mm-1's to rock out in Europe as well.

EDIT: I see the reviewer below me is now recommending you spend OVER double the amount of the MM-1, for double the wattage, but less clarity. No mention of buying an asynchronous usb dac in his rig (clueless about how crappy his computers dac is I presume), and recommending an ONKYO over a Bowers and Wilkins. Let me repeat that in case you didn't understand that the first time, he is recommending you spend DOUBLE the money buying an ONKYO product over a Bowers and Wilkins.

2nd EDIT: I forgot to mention they use the SAME tweeter as their Nautilus line, check out how expensive those speakers are.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sexy look, sound is just OK, January 17, 2011
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Hi-Fi Speakers (Pair) (Electronics)

I demoed a bunch of competing products, here's a capsule review:
M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Powered Speakers: Awesome, these are the best ones that I tested and the ones that I bought. Warm sound, bass boost switch makes them sound much larger, but you can turn it off for flatter sound. Quality construction. Not as sexy looking as the others, but tons cheaper and better sounding. You should get these.
Audioengine A5 Powered Multimedia Speaker System (Black): Sounded good, but cost $200 more than the AV 40. Weaker bass, excellent vocals. Big box.
Audioengine 2 - PC multimedia speakers - 30 Watt (total) - 2-way - satin black: Weak, muddled sound. I was very disappointed given the positive reviews on the web. Look very nice though.
Yamaha HS50M (Active) Pair 2-Way Monitors: Very flat sound, but not as warm as the AV 40. Targeted for the musician with TRS inputs.
Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Active Multimedia Speakers: Expensive, very muddled bass. Look nice, but the drivers and enclosures are too small to make good sound.

I won't comment on the Creative and Logitech PC speakers out there as I didn't test them and based on prior products from each company I don't think they compete with these quality speakers.

Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Hi-Fi Speakers (Pair)
$499.99 $499.95