5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible
These are amazing headphones. Everything about them is high quality. They feel like a well worn hat with soft covers over your ears. The sound is incredible, with outstanding imaging. The negative, they are expensive, but you know that already.

From the moment I cut open the two clear tape rounds and started to open the box, I knew these were special. Oddly,...
Published on March 26, 2010 by Daniel G. Lebryk

1.0 out of 5 stars Great cans, terrible company
The B&W P5 are a great set of headphones. They are detailed with just enough bass and good mids and highs. I enjoyed my P5 for about 2 years and then...the right side went out on me. The local B&W agent refused to even look at them without charging a $250 fee. For a small faulty solder point this is a ridiculous amount of money. B&W is absolutely not interested in after...
Published 18 months ago by E. Wilgenhof Plante

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 522 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of fake versions!, December 8, 2013
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones - Black (Electronics)
Beware of resellers selling a fake version of these headphones. This happened to me. I did not purchase these directly from Amazon. I used the "more buying choices" to obtain a cheaper price and when they arrived I noticed a difference from an authentic version that I purchase from the Apple Store. The fake seemed very authentic and I could see this fooling a good number of people. Amazon quickly ratified the situation and refund me in about a week. Amazon's A-Z policies covers you in a situation like this.

The authentic version that I purchased sounded excellent and the build quality was one of the best I have ever seen on a headphone. These headphones require a very lengthy "burn in". I read some where that it is close to 200 hours. I can attest that these sound very different then from when they were first used.

I ended up returning these to the apple store and opting for the V-Moda M-100. I loved this headphones and would definitely recommend them. The V-Moda's just sounded better for the genre of music that I mostly listen to, which being Electronic and EDM. The P5 sounded great for all types of music but really excelled at vocals and string instruments. For artists such Michael Buble and Lana Del Ray the P5s were noticeably better. I would consider the P5 a versatile headphone that will appeal to many different types of listeners, while the V-Moda will appease the bass-heads. The P5 is a great headphone and you could not go wrong with it. I would suggest buying them from a store that has a generous return policy and giving them a lengthy audition.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much detail, June 29, 2013
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones - Black (Electronics)
When I was looking for a headphones for my Ipod I wanted something that was going to have amazing quality but at the same time be stylish and comfortable. I've been across many review sites and looked at many product pages before I stumbled across the P5s. On the day that I received them I spent countless hours just listening and I was completely amazed at what I heard even from lower fidelity music as I have a bunch of MP3s, which I now have to go back and re-rip in loseless from the CDs I own.

the smallest detail can be heard and unlike Apple's earpods I don't need to turn the volume all the way up to hear whats being said.

The two major cons for this product are Price (although worth every penny) and if you wear glasses they ear phones tend to push the ear rests of your classes into the side of your head which can make long listening sessions awfully painful. Take away the glasses though and they are perfect.

I love this product and have recommended it to all my friends if they're in the market for a high quality set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lush, rich, and accurate - a perfect auditory experience, December 11, 2010
Fhoxh (Pittsburgh, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones - Black (Electronics)
These headphones scream elegance and class. They are aesthetically stunning and the fit-and-finish is astonishing.

When wearing these headphones, it's as if you're enveloped in a warm, soft blanket of pure musical bliss. It's like the entire world drops off and it's just you and your music, in its most beautiful and primal form.

Prior to purchasing these, I checked out many other headphones (Beats, Bose, Etymotic, Klipsch, Sennheiser, Shure, Sony, UE) in the same general price range. The P5s are, to my ears, without a doubt, the best sounding headphones I've ever had the privilege of listening to.

B&W clearly sweat every minute detail of these headphones, inside and out.

The only downside is that these headphones, unfortunately, are not particularly compatible with wearing glasses. I ended up, extremely reluctantly, returning these headphones due to discomfort after about an hour of wear with glasses.

However, these headphones made such a profound and lasting impression on me that I actually ended up, weeks later, switching to contact lenses specifically to repurchase the headphones.

I love these headphones. I wouldn't give them up (again) for anything in the world.

3.0 out of 5 stars Streamlined, January 15, 2012
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones - Black (Electronics)
If Apple made headphones (not just earbuds), they might just make the P5s. There are plenty of great-sounding headphones out there, but few are this light and comfortable. Bowers & Wilkins has stripped away all the excess bulk that tends to characterize high-end headphones. Instead of giant cups, the P5s use flat panels that simply press flat against your ear. Everything from the headband to the cord is slender yet sturdy.

Two cords are included: One for the iPod/iPhone (with mic), and one with no controls or microphone. (Unfortunately, Android users will have to find a cord elsewhere.) The impedance level is also attuned to the iPhone, meaning that you get a full range of volume (whereas other audiophile-friendly headphones tend to be too quiet to use without an amp). If you're looking for headphones with faithful audio reproduction that you can also use for phone calls, look no further.

All in all, I'm very impressed by these. The one caveat I'd offer is that the P5s have been described as "isolating"; that's only slightly accurate. They block out about as much noise as covering your ears with your hands does. Unfortunately, the only way to block out substantially more noise is to either use in-ear "canalphones" or headphones with active noise cancellation, both of which have comfort issues. If you just want an elegant pair of closed-design headphones, the P5s are top-notch.

UPDATE: My enthusiasm has waned since I initially posted a 5-star review, and I've traded away these headphones in favor of the Bose QuietComfort 15s. For extended wear, I've found that those big around-the-ear cups are actually quite a bit more comfortable than the P5's flat pads, and that trumps all other factors for me. If you're looking for the best sound in this price range and don't care about portability, I'd suggest the Sennheiser HD 600s. The P5s are undeniably more classy and stylish than those alternatives, but otherwise not that great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Phones but they don't match the Price or the Hype, April 21, 2010
I tried a pair of these for about an hour and could hear no earth-shattering difference between them and a pair of $70 Sony Extra Bass or $140 Bose TriPorts. The P5s are also less comfortable than either, and the Sonys actually have a larger range (4-24k Hz vs. 10-20k Hz) which gives them clearer bass.

Overall the P5s are nice but in my opinion worth one third to one half their price. And people say Bose is overpriced! I'm not an "audiophile" but I'm not deaf either. Also worth noting with the P5s is that if you wear glasses these can cause them to dig into your temple and get sore after an hour or so. They also tend to get a little sweaty.

I suppose I should say some good things about the P5s since they're actually pretty good headphones, price notwithstanding. They're certainly no slouch when it comes to sound. They're also very sturdy and well-constructed. The sheep skin feels nice but not amazing. Magnets hold the replaceable cups in place and the cord is also replaceable and includes an iPod controller and standard cable (though the iPod cable wasn't working with my stereo; only my iPod). I could see Bowers coming out with different types of cups later on (like around-ear, etc) which would be a blessing for additional sound isolation and comfort. Overall the P5s are designed to last even if various components break down or wear out, which helps you get a bit more for your money.

In conclusion, I would really only recommend the P5s in two cases:

1. If you're an audio engineer requiring the most accurate sound for your work. While these do sound accurate they don't sound as "colorful" and "bouncy" as other sets and I don't think I would care much for them for day-to-day listening unless I only listened to classical and jazz.

2. If classical and jazz are your two favorite types of music I would get the P5s right away since they really showcase the richness of the P5s. I haven't heard jazz sound better on any other phones, even Bose or Sennheiser don't come close. Very crisp and alive. It's just that the P5s lack a bit of character and "oomph" when it comes to pop, rock, techno, and metal and for the price the P5s should be absolutely outstanding in most cases and not just great in many cases. Especially when there are so many other options out there. You can pump up the bass and treble in your EQ to get some more color but what's the point when you can just do the same thing with a much cheaper pair?

I don't mean to be a buzzkill but these are just my opinions and observations. Go to the Apple Store and try a pair out if you want to; they might be worth the price to you. Anyway, hope this review helps.

1.0 out of 5 stars Known issue in support drop down list glue leak, February 12, 2014
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I had these for just over a year and one day I noticed something around the edge and thought someone spilt or dropped it in something. Trying to open the magnetic ear cover off was like melted cheese looking tar and attempts to wipe it down without water or solution was futile. Then I noticed it was all on my ear and in my hair... When I asked customer service they have a specific drop down list saying glue leak as this is known to happen. When I asked what could be done they didn't offer to help without the receipt for proof of purchase date. If it was just shy of a year for a known issue why not help the customer? These weren't left in a car or stored in high heated areas and for the most part rarely used or in the bag it came in. For 299 you would think they have better support... I will never ever encourage people to buy these or recommend them at an apple store.

4.0 out of 5 stars 1st Impression, Good not Great., April 22, 2010
V. Bank "vbank" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I just picked up the P5's for a trail run. With a 14 day return policy, I figured I would give it a shot. I am a bit of an audiophile. I currently have Westone 3s, Shure 530s (broken, stupid cable) Grados i60's and ATH-A700 to compare. I was looking for a portable closed back can as my Westones can start to hurt the ears after a few hours. I wont reiterate what has already been said, build quality (incredible) and price (high), but will chime in with my 2 cents. First I dont have a iphone (broken) listen to them on my HTC HD2 (better music player in my opinion). Overall impressions have been, average. Comfort for me have not been a problem. I can wear glasses, no problems. They do heat the ears a bit, but does not bother me. I wont even compare them to Westones, but will say I do like them better than the grados. I feel there is a better overall richness than the grados, but still think the ATHs have a better soundstage. That being said, the ATHs are HUGE, so not a really option to commute with. They seem to be lacking a bit of highs, or for that matter, the lows I think are a bit overpowering. I tried a variety of music, and depending on the bit rate and style, it varies. Listened to Pink Floyd on a loseless codec and it lacked the depth that should be there. On the other hand, Blackroc incoded at 192k, sounded really good. Social Distortion sounded good, but vocals seemed distance and not up front. Basement Jaxx at 320k, sounded better than my Westones, so go figure.

I tried them both amped and no amp, and its very clear these are made for a DAP with NO amp.

I think if you are thinking about Monster Beats, or Bose, then these are a great option. I hate active nosie cancelling, so these are better than the Bose, but still have the heavy bass signature sound like the "UGLY" beats. I debated between 3 and 4 stars and ending going with the 4 stars. The price is a HUGE piece in all of this. Does the price equal the sound quality? Short answer is no. Way better cans at this price. However does the build quality and lasting appeal equal the price? Yes. No doubt I will have these headphones (if I keep them) in 15 years and look is classic. Basically I can wear them on the street and not feel like a total tool.

2.0 out of 5 stars Build quality is great, sound quality isn't good in my opinion, October 15, 2014
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones - Black (Electronics)
Build quality is great, sound quality isn't good in my opinion: They seem to struggle and break up and moderate volumes, and the definition just isn't there. I tried listening to classical, rock, metal, pop... And I couldn't pick out anything that I thought this set did very well, except look good, which I expect they'll do for quite some time, because they're built so well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sounding Headphones, April 8, 2014
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I tried several pair of headphones and these were simply the best. Great sound and very soft on the ears. The first time I listened the range from high to lows blew me away. If I ever need another pair this is what I will buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome sound, Comfort ok. Quality TOP NOTCH., January 20, 2014
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones - Black (Electronics)
These produce an amazing sound. surpass my PXC 450 without an amp. HOWEVER the comfort is not there, I'm not sure if I put them on wrong or my ears are too big but they do hurt your ears after a while. Seems like B&W remedy this by coming out with the P7 for 400 bucks, too bad they are good but comfort exceed sound quality to me.

Sound isolation is very good. I have a fan 2 feets away, it will block out that noise.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 522 | Next ›