4.0 out of 5 stars For best results
I have been a personal fitness trainer for many years and at first I too was a skeptic about the whole resistance rod thing. I have read other reviews where people who bought this particular unit say that 210lbs is not enough weight to get a good work out.

I would suggest to those of you who think you need more weight than that to try slowing the motion of your...
Published on February 5, 2010 by Ellery King

3.0 out of 5 stars PR1000 adquate but get a PR3000 instead
This review is broken into the following sections:
* Ordering and Shipping
* Assembly
* Exercises
* The Machine

Ordering and Shipping:
I purchased this for a good price via Amazon. Shipping went well, product arrived in a timely manner.

Assembly:
I assembled the machine yesterday. For a short woman in her 50's whose...
Published on May 13, 2010 by A Music Lover

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the sale price, November 7, 2009
This review is from: Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym (Sports)
Before we moved to another state I sold my old weights to avoid the per pound moving charges. I bought the Bowflex as a replacement. It was much easier to assemble than my old weight plate and pulley set, it took less that 2 hours to get it together and give it a try. The quality of the components are excellent, the holes, bolts, and other loose materials fit together with no problems and the directions are clear and easy to understand. The booklet that accompanied the equipment gives instruction for many different workout levels and is easy to follow. During workouts changing the resistance, seating, and pulleys is easier and quicker than it was with my old plate system. For my purposes the resistance bars included are sufficient. I'm not a body builder, I'm recently retired and I bought the Bowflex to help me build and maintain muscle mass and flexibility and so far it has fulfilled or exceeded all my expectations. The Amazon price was below prices advertised locally, and with free delivery it was an attractive package. I have a number of other pieces of equipment and the Bowflex was a great addition to my home gym.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy with it, October 9, 2011
R. L. Chios (Bel Air, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym (Sports)
really like this Bowflex. I have worked in the past as a weight trainer and also did a little body building. I really like the smoothness of working out on a Bowflex compared to other types of equipment. Some of the reviews mentioned the resistance not being enough, no one in our family has noticed this to be the case, but we are more likely to work out at a lesser weight/resistance and do more sets of more reps as opposed to struggling through great weight for a few reps. Spent too many years in the gym watching people do this and seeing that their results weren't much better than going for less weight with more controlled reps and sets.

It was easy to put together, it took two of us maybe an hour and a half not rushing through it. It is reasonably easy to move around if you really need to move it.

If you are a muscle head who prefers to grunt, strain and sweat insanely, I don't recommend this. Stick with your free weights. But if you are looking for a nice little set up for home use and a good way to get in shape and stay in shape, this does the trick!

2.0 out of 5 stars bowflex 1000, February 22, 2009
This review is from: Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym (Sports)
Spend the extra money and get the 3000 model or better. It's a real chore changing the cables around for each excersize.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Hate Exercise, April 25, 2011
This review is from: Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym (Sports)
I am 68 years old so no exercise is fun for me but, it is much less of a hassle with this new Bowflex. If you follow the directions which recommend two people for the set-up I can see doing it easily in one hour. It took less than two hours to assemble alone. The exercises are easy and changing the set-up for a different exercise is easy as well. While some have complained that you can't upgrade the resistance rods for more weight, I am not a body builder so there is quite enough weight on this model to suit me. It looks fresh and clean in the room, you can do rowing exercises with it that you can't do on many more expensive models and it folds up so you can easily clean under it or use the floor space for some other form of exercise. The price of the product on this site was the best out there. The machine was shipped (FREE) almost immediately and arrived in less than a week.

4.0 out of 5 stars what I was looking for, November 23, 2009
This review is from: Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym (Sports)
My Husband bought me a bowflex for my birthday, it took him only about a hour to put it together. I choose the bowflex PR1000 and it was what i wanted. The only down fall its not made for very heavy lifting but for a girl it the perfect size. I would recommend this to anyone (women) who wants to gain muscle and lose weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bowflex PR1000 Review, April 20, 2011
This review is from: Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym (Sports)
I purchased this from Amazon a while ago - wanted to get some time using it before writing a review. As always, my experience with Amazon was a good one - it arrived in excellent condition much sooner than the estimated delivery. All the pieces were in the box and nothing was damaged, bent, dented, broken or messed up in any other way.

I was able to assemble the product myself - the only parts not included are two adjustable wrenches (and you will very likely need TWO). The assembly wasn't any more difficult than many other things I've assembled - just read and follow the directions carefully and it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Some of the steps were a little tricky by myself so having another for a few things probably wouldn't hurt, but as I said I was able to do it without any help and I didn't go crazy or anything like that in the process. My only complaint with the assembly was a few of the small pieces that I had to hunt for. I noticed during the assembly, and now from using it, the equipment is very sturdy. Not cheap plastic or anything like that, so you're definitely getting something that won't easily break.

As far as the exercising, I was basically looking for something with a wide range of strength exercises to supplement an existing routine I was already doing. It needed to be something that could do a number of things, but that I could use safely on my own. I looked at a few different pieces before settling on this and I'm glad I got it. It supports a wide number of exercises for different muscles, and the manual that lists them was a nice addition - there were definitely some exercises in there I wouldn't have thought to try with it. When you first start using it you may find it a little awkward, especially since each hand is working a different set of flex rods without the stability or support of a solid rod like normal weight lifting. After a bit, though, you'll get used to it and won't really notice it at all. It didn't take too long to get used to adjusting the rods and doing the exercises and after a week or two you'll have no trouble setting the machine up for whatever you need. I wouldn't call this a heavy, heavy strength training machine - it's not gonna turn you into a 1980s Schwarzenneger, but for most people looking at strength training equipment this is a good choice. A few people did mention they didn't think the max 210 was enough for their legs, but I would agree with some others that if you're performing your reps in a slow and controlled manner then you'll find yourself getting a good workout.

A few other things - as I said it comes with a manual that outlines different exercises along with some routines that you can follow throughout the week to get started, so even if you're not familiar with the exercises there's stuff there to get you going. The bench can fold up, and it's very easy to do so - no hassle to get it up and down like some other equipment I've used. So overall I'd certainly recommend this to home exercisers - it made a very good addition to my routine and probably will for you as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the money....., August 9, 2009
This review is from: Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym (Sports)
Took a little over an hour to assemble, and all the parts were there. My wife and I use it everyday. I am very happy with the variety of exercises that can be done, and you can get many more if your a little creative. One note though, there is a small plastic sticky-backed cable holder that goes on the back of the vertical assembly that is designed to hold the top cables out of the way. It came lose after just a week. I used some Gorilla glue on it and still holding after three weeks. If your on a budget (who isn't) and don't like gyms, this is the way to go!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, June 25, 2009
N. Dhiman (Scotch Plains, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym (Sports)
Great product for a great price. U can workout your whole body with this. Might not be the best fit for really big guys but for average adult, it's great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Home gym if used correctly., December 28, 2010
This review is from: Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym (Sports)
I got this recently and installed it myself. It took awhile to put it together because I took my time. I was afraid I might miss something so I did it at a slow pace. So far, I have used it a bit now. At first, I thought that I had made a bad purchase because I could max out the weight with certain exercises. I bought this to use along with the P90x workout plan. Great plan by the way. Anyway, after doing some research as I was debating returning this item, I found out how to properly use this machine. Which leads to my 4 star review. I removed a star because the instructions are not very clear on how to properly use this machine. Makes no sense why they do not clearly explain how to maximize the workout with this device. I had to look all over the place to find the right information. The key is to do the following:

1. Pick a proper weight that will give you a decent resistance. You might have to play around with the weights to get a feel.

2. Slowly go through the form of the exercise you are doing with a overall slow movement.

3. At the peak of your workout, stop and hold the contraction.

4. As you start to return back to the starting point of your exercise, keep moving slowly, and do not go all the way back to the starting point. Stop as close as you can contracting that muscle.

5. Keep doing this until you can't do anymore.

If you follow those tips, this is a great home gym. I would also recommend using free weights as well to mix up the varation or even using P90x as a guide for your workouts.

Bowflex + Free Weights + P90X = Win.

I recommend this device, I'd buy it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but check your upgrade options, February 10, 2009
This review is from: Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym (Sports)
This machine is much better than anticipated. Love it. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and this is about the only low impact workout that I can stick with.
However -choose carefully. This unit is not upgradeable but probably can add 100lbs of rods if you cut out a portions of a protective bar that probably only exists to make it non-upgradable. will void your warranty though
For certain exercises you are going to want 310 or 410 lbs regardless of your fitness level. Spend a hundy or two more and get a unit with additional weight. I wish I did

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›