5.0 out of 5 stars You might think 210 lbs is a lot, but...
...right off the bat, if you do calf raises you'll need more than this. You'll do a lot more weight with shoulder shrugs than you think too.

Published on May 26, 2007 by J. Duncan

1.0 out of 5 stars Scam?
I got these about a week ago. There is no way they're of the same resistance as my current "50" rods. I liken them very much to "30s." I feel very much ripped-off. To be cliche, I'd give these a zero if possible.
Published on April 4, 2010 by J Burch

5.0 out of 5 stars You might think 210 lbs is a lot, but..., May 26, 2007
This review is from: Bowflex 310-Pound Rod Upgrade (Sports)

Mine didn't come with instructions. You have to take the rod block off the machine so you can get to the bottom of it to put in the screws. Just pop out the two covers (I used a flat screwdriver to pry them out), insert the rods, and put a philips screw into the bottom of the block to hold the rod in (screws are included).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good concept with small flaws., April 6, 2008
MR (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bowflex 310-Pound Rod Upgrade (Sports)
I'm a 42 yr old male, in good shape and experienced with working out and weight training. I lift weights to tone up, and to balance the running portion of my workouts. I'm not looking for size or "gains". My goal in purchasing a Bowflex was to save time and space. I purchased the Bowflex Extreme with the 310 "lb" resistance upgrade. To date I have not purchased the leg attachment option. I have used this machine for six weeks.
Overall - I'm happy with this purchase. This machine is a good concept, and produces good results. In my opinion, it offers several advantages over free weights. It's well constructed, but has some minor flaws (described later). While not the top-of-the-line model, this machine allows me to do more exercises than I could ever possibly need.
The resistance feels different than free weights, and takes some getting used to. First, the poundage listed on the rods does not correspond to free weights - it doesn't need to. The goal is to provide a repeatable, controlled resistance. Second, the resistance increases through the range of motion, unlike weights which require you to overcome inertia. Initially, this makes the exercise feel too easy, but I've found that if I work through the complete range of motion in a controlled manner, I get a good workout.
In my opinion, because resistance increases through the range of motion, the Bowflex works stabilizer muscles better than free weights. In addition, since you're not limited to working against gravity, you can exercise through ranges of motion not possible with free weights. Free weights do offer some advantages, but I'm happy with my results to date.
The actual size of the Extreme is pretty much what I had anticipated. It requires a 7ft wide x 9ft deep x 8ft high workout area. You'll not want to move it once setup, but it can be used in a second bedroom. I like how the bench is set up in a vertical position to save space.

One flaw is that some of the components seem cheap. Overall, the system is solid and well-constructed. However, my rod binding strap split into two after a couple of uses. Also, the plastic covering on one of my cables started flaking off after a few workouts. Another flaw is that the 210 "lb" standard resistance is insufficient. The machine should come with 300 "lbs" of standard resistance - Bowflex should ditch the useless 5 lb rods, and add two more 50s.

A couple words of advice - Read the ENTIRE manual before assembling or working out. I read the assembly portion of the manual, and easily set the system up in an hour. However, thinking I was experienced, I jumped into my workouts without reading (or watching the DVD) on how to use the machine. I later found out that I was doing several of the exercises, and using several of the attachments, incorrectly. Perhaps this contributed to the flaking cable covering. Finally, I've found that grouping exercises by pulley location (high, middle, or low pulleys), shortens my workouts.

1.0 out of 5 stars Scam?, April 4, 2010

1.0 out of 5 stars Not 50 lb rods, April 10, 2010
This review is from: Bowflex 310-Pound Rod Upgrade (Sports)
There is no way these rods are 50 lbs. maybe 30 lbs. at most. Are not rubber coated like originals. They do not retain there shape like original ones. Very disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Necessary., August 1, 2008
This review is from: Bowflex 310-Pound Rod Upgrade (Sports)
If you use your bowflex at all, it won't be long before you need these. 210 lbs seems like a lot but I think "bowflex pounds" are a bit lighter than regular pounds. :) One word of warning: I would order these at the same time you order a bowflex. Otherwise the 50lb rods included in the bowflex will be "softened up" and these will seem disproportionately strong. Get these and alternate which 50lb set you use so they both "soften" at the same rate.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll be stronger than Superman with these, January 5, 2008
This review is from: Bowflex 310-Pound Rod Upgrade (Sports)
I'd been watching these for awhile after I bought my Bowflex xtreme 2 SE from Bowflex. Bowflex would ship to me (I'm in Alaska) but Amazon wouldn't. For what ever reason Amazon was selling these thru the Bowflex direct and wouldn't ship the rods to me either. I noticed that Amazon was now directly selling them so I ordered and got free shipping. Anyway they arrived fast. One rod was straight and white the other was slightly curved and yellowish. Different material under the rubber, dunno. Also the grooves that lock the rods in place were cut different, one shallow the other deep. But they installed fine. Using them, they seemed lighter resistance wise, than the 50's that came with the Bowflex.

Its all good, if they should break Bowflex offers lifetime replacement so I'm not to worried.

viva la Bowflex body. Watch out Superman!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better, November 9, 2006
James Wilson (Moss Point, MS USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bowflex 310-Pound Rod Upgrade (Sports)
For most of us who exercise regularly, the Bowflex Sport is a fine exercise machine. Unfortunately though, two hundred and ten pounds of resistance is not enough. The 310 lb. upgrade is a neccessity for serious workout. I found by upgrading to 310 lbs., I can't bench press the whole machine. I would recommend for any serious lifter, when you buy the the bowflex sport to immediately upgrade to 310 lbs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says..., April 7, 2008
This review is from: Bowflex 310-Pound Rod Upgrade (Sports)
These work as intended, but they are a bit of a pain to install. You have to remove the rod box from your bowflex and then to re-attach it you basically need to flip it on its side. I have low ceilings, so this is more difficult than it would seem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who says that the PR-1000 unit cannot be upgraded?, November 25, 2013
This review is from: Bowflex 310-Pound Rod Upgrade (Sports)
used this to upgrade a PR-1000 unit (the one that cannot be upgraded). Bowflex designed this machine in a way intended to pysically prevent the 310 and 410 pound upgrades. All that is required to perform the upgrades is to remove the welded on piece of metal on the upright that covers the plastic-plugged holes for the 310 rods, and the up-curved piece of metal at the back end of the bracket the rod box sits in to attach the 410 rods (which come in their own mini rod box). Five minutes with an angle grinder fitted with a cutting wheel removed the offending metal bits. Attaching all four upgrade rods took about another 10 minutes.

2.0 out of 5 stars These rods are weaker than the originals, May 9, 2010
Rick Clark (Carlsbad, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bowflex 310-Pound Rod Upgrade (Sports)
The resistance of the 50 pound rods in the 310-Pound upgrade is noticeably less than the resistance of the 50 pound rods that came with the machine. They feel like they ought to be labeled 35 pounds because they feel just a hair more resistant than the 30 pound rods. While I am still a novice girlyman with the machine and body sculpting in general, the upgrade has not provided enough extra resistance for me to feel the burn doing leg presses. I believe that if the resistance matched the old rods, they would have been adequate.

On the good side, I got them installed quickly and easily, and delivery was prompt.

Bowflex 310-Pound  Rod Upgrade