4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for
Published 22 months ago by North

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but not exactly right
I have used many dip/pull-up stations and I purchased this product because of the excellent reviews. While the product is built amazingly well, and looks beautiful, it lacks a bit in functionality compared to other stations I have used.

Pros:
* Built well and easy to put together
* Looks good
* Straps for hanging knee raises
* Dip bar is...
Published on March 20, 2012 by boom

4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, June 16, 2012
This review is from: Bowflex BodyTower (Sports)
This is the second piece of equipment I have from Bowflex. As of earlier I have a Bowflex 3000 Home gym. In both cases I've experienced things that were broken on arrival, on the home gym I had a pulley that was bent and rod broke early on. On this, one of the grip was cracked and tore of at first use. The Bowflex customer support is awful so I'll probably end up fixing it myself. Back to the body Tower, it was fairly easy to put together, clear and easily to understand instructions. A good thing is to have you own set of tools then you have it installed in no time. It isn't super robust, but I'm 6'1", weigh 220 and can do dips, chin and pull-ups. If you grip the handle for the dips too far out, it starts to wobble a bit. When you do the Supine Row you initially get a sense that it will not hold, but it does. Another thing when you do the dips is that you get a bit of a feeling that you are crammed in and of course you need to bend you knees quite much. Over all I'm satisfied it is very versatile product and you can do a great deal of different exercises. I couldn't fit in a taller pull up construction in my house and I didn't want to go with a doorframe construction that's why I chose a stand alone one. If I could, I would have had one with the Pull up bar at a great height, now it feels little low. It also looks quite good if that is of importance but it is a good bang for the buck I think. You just need to be prepared for that a couple of things can be broken. Not the best quality but you don't pay top dollar as you have to for others.

Updating the review after 3 month. Im even more positive to it now. It is holding up very very well. I do chin up's and Dips with 45lb extra weight, ring row and knee rais without any problems what so ever. I don't have any problem with the wobbling I mentioned earlier. This is besides my bar/barbell my favorite equipment. I strongly recommend it and and want to change my earlier statement "you get what you pay for" to worth paying for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but not exactly right, March 20, 2012
This review is from: Bowflex BodyTower (Sports)

Pros:
* Built well and easy to put together
* Looks good
* Straps for hanging knee raises
* Dip bar is decent

Cons:
* Rocks a bit when doing dips or pull-ups
* I tend to swing a bit doing pull-ups, and if you do not lower the dip bar you can find yourself bumping your legs
* The pull-up bar is kind of thick in diameter compared to normal pull up bars
* I am 68 inches and I thought the pull-up bar could have been higher
* You cannot do dips facing the station without bumping your head on the pull-up bar

My biggest dislike is the thickness of the pull-up bar as it makes it difficult to get a good grip. I would not buy this item again and would shop around a bit more before purchasing next time. To summarize, is this a nice looking functional station?, yes, is this the best one out there?, no.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE pullup station for a serious functional fitness enthusiast, May 2, 2012
neatski (Saint Cloud, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bowflex BodyTower (Sports)
I demand a LOT out of my workout equipment, and I use (abuse?) it to its maximum. I've been eyeing freestanding body towers for a while due to limitations in my environment (using a door-mounted pullup bar meant I had to leave my door open, and I couldn't put studs in my wall for a wall-mounted one), but I had misgivings about the sturdiness. Not only did I want to use it for pullups, chinups and dips, I also wanted to use it as an anchor point for my TRX. I also did NOT want a back for the abdominal exercise station (since this places undue pressure on the lower back).

The BodyTower delivers, and I'm very happy with it. The equipment is VERY high quality and sturdy, and it comes with clear assembly instructions. It is designed with the functional fitness enthusiast in mind: it comes with ab straps instead of those padded arm handles you normally see on power towers, as well as suspended rings for some challenging core and upper body exercises. The dip bar is adjustable, allowing a whole range of additional exercises. I have anchored my TRX on the pullup bar and can do suspended pushups, atomic pushups, suspended lunges, etc. with no stability issues.

My few minor quibbles:
-It is not quite as sturdy as gym-quality equipment. It rocks a tad when I do pullups, although not to a point at which it actually moves on the floor. The only way around this would have been to make it heavier, though, so I'm fine with it.
-I can't use the TRX anchored to the pullup bar to do exercises that require me to pull away from the bar using all my body weight, like suspended rows. For those exercises, I have to use the handles that are attached to the tower itself because they are anchored lower. Again, this probably has to do with the weight of the tower, and it doesn't bother me because I can use the tower's handles.
-As someone else mentioned, the pullup bar is unusually thick, which makes it hard to grip when my hands are sweaty.

Overall, I highly recommend this equipment. You can get a cheaper tower, but this one's quality is definitely worth the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, for the most part., July 15, 2013
James M Gallina (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bowflex BodyTower (Sports)
The cons: One of the pins that holds a bar in place is broken. While this didn't cause the product to stop functioning as designed, nor did it constitute a safety issue, it did break within a few days of owning the product and felt it was worth mentioning. Also, I'm 6'2" and that makes me about an inch or two too tall for a couple of the exercises.
The pros: Excellent for situps, pull ups and a number of other exercises that focus on the core and the legs. This is typically an expensive proposition without buying a bunch of free weights or expensive equipment. For the price, it gets most of the job done. I'm dropping it one star for build quality and another star because I can't use the product for 100% of its designed use (the height issue).

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and very well designed, March 16, 2012
This review is from: Bowflex BodyTower (Sports)
This thing is great! It came 2 days after I ordered it, took one hour to set up and that included breaking down all the packing so I could recycle it. Once it was set up, I immediately did every exercise I could on it to take it thru it's paces. It is very sturdy, so pull ups and chin ups are SWEET! The handle size is just right. It maybe a little short if you want to hang weight from your waist, but in my case, that kind of height would make it unusable in my basement. Dips are very solid. Inverted rows are a little tight for me with my head towards the back post, but it makes me stick my form. Doing them head out was no problem and a nice variation. Hanging crunches are a blast. The adjustable bars are just a great idea. Each exercise you are supposed to be able to do you can do with great form and very little shake from the structure itself. I am not sure what I would change with this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Happy Bowflex Customer, September 17, 2012
This review is from: Bowflex BodyTower (Sports)
I looked at many different body towers before purchasing this one and was sceptical weather this was the one that would suit my needs as I wanted a tower that I would feel safe to work out on, not that I am that big a guy but I am 5-10 and 175lbs. and know that you only get what you pay for so with the Bowflex name stamped on it I felt a little more confident in making my decision, well after receiving it and assembling it, which I have to say was only about an hour and very easy to assembly, I was very pleased with the quality and sturdiness of this tower and Bowflex did stand up to their reputation in making quality equipment, I now use it on a daily basis and people that drop by my place and try it out are also impressed with it, I would definitely recommend for anyone wanting or looking for a body tower even though this one might be a little more expensive to go ahead and invest in this unit as you will not be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, June 1, 2012
This review is from: Bowflex BodyTower (Sports)
It took about 45 minutes to assemble but it feels robust and well engineered. Some people complain that the width of the bars is a little too big but in my opinion it makes for a much better grip. For the price I'm very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bowflex Bodytower, February 9, 2012
This review is from: Bowflex BodyTower (Sports)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having become accustomed to the simplistic but effective Iron Gym pull-up bar, this Bowflex Bodytower arrived as a welcome replacement. Assembly of the unit was relatively easy and took about an hour, but it could be possibly shorter with two people. The tools needed to assemble are included and only a box knife is needed to open the box and extract the nuts and bolts from their plastic-covered cardboard backing. The box includes both an Assembly Manual and an Owner's Manual in English, separate manuals in French, and the option to view the Spanish manuals at the company's website. The Owner's Manual includes safety information, a few pages of general workout tips, a muscle chart, and nine pages of suggested exercises (most of which include illustrative images). Exercises include push-ups at various elevations, chin-ups, supine rows, and the triceps dip.

Though the Bodytower is primarily interested in upper body workouts, the unit does allow for assistance with crunches and calf raises. As others have mentioned here, the unit will most likely feel slightly undersized for those over six feet all. I'm 6'3" and the unit is entirely functional though I imagine I'd be a bit more comfortable with a slightly larger unit. Regardless, the Bodytower is an excellent home gym addition for those interested in increasing upper body strength. It's well constructed for the low price point and offers a myriad of different exercises. I've used the Bodytower for several hours and have yet to find an outright negative. Definitely recommended.

Unit Specifications:
Front of Unit Length: 49.7"
Side of Unit Length: 51.2"
Unit Height: 76.9"
Max User Weight: 300 lbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, January 29, 2013
This review is from: Bowflex BodyTower (Sports)
This thing is awesome!!! There are a ton of exercises you can do, I don't even think I've scratched the surface. After reading the specs I thought it might be really big, but it fits nicely in the corner of our workout room. I especially like the fact that you don't need to access the rear of the tower to do pull-ups, you are able to back it up to a wall instead of having to put it in the middle of the room.

My husband and I have both used it and have had no issues with wiggling or wobbling.

Set-up was a cinch, but it did require 2 people. Only took about 30 minutes or so.

I would highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, August 16, 2012
This review is from: Bowflex BodyTower (Sports)
I purchased this item a few months ago and have had a chance to use it, and evaluate it since then, and let me say, the Bowflex Body Tower is nothing less than outstanding. First off, just the packaging alone surprised me. Packed well, with good assembly instructions, and a very handy parts packaging. I used the tools included and found them to be more than sufficient to get it together. Didn't take long, maybe 30-45 minutes, and only because I was taking my time. Honestly, it is so well packed, the bulk of my assembly time was just unpacking the component parts.

I bought it primarliy for pullups, but I've been pleasantly surprised by other features the device has. One such exercise, the single leg squat, or otherwise known as the Bulgarian split squat. I needed to incorporate some lower body/leg work into my weekly routine and after reading the owner's manual I decided to try it out on the Bowflex. Deceptively simple, however, with just bodyweight, difficult with tremendous results. I now consider it a staple exercise with the Bowflex in addition to pullups. On to the pullups, again, excellent design, and very stable platform. That isn't to say there is zero wobble, but, it is extraordinarily stable for such a unit. Just on the pullups alone I've noticed great improvement in upper body strength and size. Other features include hanging ab straps, and dip handles. I'm less impressed with the dip feature, but in all fairness, I haven't really used it much.

If you're considering the Bowflex Body Tower as your primary workout equipment/device it'll more than meet your expectations and needs. For me it is a supplemental piece of equipment that has more than delivered. I'm actually considering buying a second unit for home, since this one I bought to be kept at my office. At $300 it is a bargain given the quality you get. Thanks Bowflex!

ARRAY(0xa45c699c)