As far as its role as a watch, this bowflew product gets the job done, unlike other strapless-heart-rate-monitor watches, this one actually looks like a normal digital watch, I don't know about you, but I want a strapless one because I want to wear it in PUBLIC without a strap around my chest, and since I am in public, I don't want everyone who passes by to say, what kind of watch is THAT? Thus leading to an unwanted 2 minute conversation.

Now then, the watch aspect features everything you need, a backround light, day of the week, month/day, time, alarm, stopwatch(called a chronograph), a countdown timer(which beeps every second for the last 5 seconds and then 3 times at zero and then for another 10 seconds) and of course your heart rate.

There are numerous features that resolve around the heart rate function, which you can display by holding down the bottom center silver button for 5 seconds(the sensor is where a battery is on a normal watch, up against the wrist). You can set a heart rate zone, which is down automatically for you based off your gender and age, though you can manually set your own. This is EXTREMELY useful, if say, you want to get into that "fat burning zone" which for me is about 130bpm, you can set the bottom and top bars for what ever beats you want, if you are in the "zone" your HR will appear along with one beep(though you must manually take your HR by holding down the button for 5 secs), if your higher or lower than the "zone" it will beep twice and then show your HR with either a H or a L accordingly.

A nice little feature is that along with your HR it will show your relative HR, which is to say, the percentage that you are pushing yourself, so when an exercise says "go 80%" for such and such time, you can now actually SEE what HR is that percentage, based on your age ex. My "maximum" (safe, anyway) HR is 200bpm, so if my HR while say, walking is 100bpm, the display will show "100bpm 50%" to indicate my relative HR. Very useful.

This brings me to the last feature of this watch, the calorie counter. Based on your current HR(The manual says to take it just prior to using this) (sidenote: manual is very simple, yet detailed and very helpful) this timer will show, other than a timer, the amount of calories you have burned based on your HR, haven't used it much, but it could prove very handy in the future.

Now for the bad stuff, there is one more useless feature I forgot to mention, the dual time function, basically, you can set any time you want, besides the "actual" time, maybe for time zones or something, but you can change mins and secs too, I don't know, seems pointless to me, whatever. My only other gripe is that I am not 100% confident in the accuracy of the monitor. It could just be that because of its short monitoring interval(5 secs) it is overly-sensitive, for example, while sitting here, my HR is 64bpm, but if I stand up its 84, even though I didn't really do anything, same thing if your just sitting somewhere and breathing(unlikely right? :D ) your HR picks up a bit on the inhale and drops on the exhale, these "inaccuracies" disappear however, during exercise, since the heart is beating faster, thus greatly lessening the affects of say, standing up and breathing.(and don't wear it too tight, this can make your bpm higher than it really is, inversly for too loose)

For those of you who decided to skip my overly detailed review(hey, I was the first one, after all) and just want a blunt answer, yes, this thing is great, yes I highly reccomend it and yes, you should get one(hopefully in a different color, so I don't run into people with the same watch as me ;) )
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 15, 2009
Verified Purchase
I read all the above reviews before purchasing the Bowflex feeling confident it wasn't necessary to buy a strap model. It is a nice, light and easy to read design and worked very well sitting at my desk taking heart rate readings. I was very excited to strap it on and do my normal run while checking for heart rate feedback. Over the course of my hour run I did the two finger manipulation which is slightly awkward but I got used to it. The watch registered a reading about 20% of the time and was very inaccurate, the rest of the time, nothing. If I stopped running, stood still it still wouldn't pick anything up most of the time. When I finished running and was seated it began to work again as it did at my desk. I've been told by triathletes the only reliable monitor on the market is a two piece, watch and strap. I returned this for a full refund and have ordered the other type. The technology just isn't there yet, maybe someday.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 19, 2010
Verified Purchase
I've been using this monitor/watch for about 3 weeks now while I train for a marathon. When I first got it and was running outside in the cold, it never seemed to want to get a reading, and I assumed it had to do with blood circulation in the cold being less than great. The first couple of days, I tried to use it while I was at work, and was warm and it would only occasionally get a reading.
After those first few days, I discovered that I was placing the tips of my fingers on the monitor when I should have been using the pads of my fingers. It shows the correct placement in the instructions, but doesn't mention that if you're not getting a reading you may be using the wrong placement.
For the last 2 and a half weeks, it has given me a reading every time. That includes while I'm running, while I'm lifting, and while I'm just walking around at work or home. I've even checked it against the heart rate monitor built into the treadmills at the gym. While they both have faults, I find that they are usually in the same range give or take 5 BPM. If you really want extreme accuracy, you should probably consider a chest strap model since blood flow to extremities is variable anyway.
In closing, if you want a monitor that is accurate, if not exact, and don't want to have to wear a chest strap (they are usually uncomfortable) this could be the heart rate monitor for you. Pay close attention to the instructions. Other than figuring out the finger placement, which is really about as comfortable as you could expect, the rest of the features are extremely easy to figure out. I wouldn't traide it for a more expensive model.
on July 9, 2010
Verified Purchase
I purchased this product and received it about 1 week ago.

Initially, I was disappointed with the performance. During the initial two days, I was only able to achieve a success rate of perhaps 25% when taking readings. Sometimes it would operate properly and I'd be able to get 5 readings in a row. Other times, nothing seemed to work. I moved my fingers, spit on my fingers, varied the contact patch of my fingers. Nothing. I was feeling like some of the other "one star" ratings here.

After some usage, and reading of the manual, I think that I can pass some tips onto folks who may be interested in the product. I've altered how I wear the watch and how I touch the pad. I'm now up to a consistent 95% readings whenever I want.

1) The manual indicates that the back face of the watch (stainless steel?) is one of the sensing surfaces! This needs to make good contact with either the outside of your wrist, or if you're a hairy Neanderthal like me, rotate it to the inside of your wrist. Making good contact against skin is critical. After rotating it to the inside of my wrist, my percentage of readings spiked from 25% to about 80%.

2) The manual indicates that muscle noise can affect the accuracy and ability to get a reading. If I'm moving my fingers around or moving my wrist, I rarely get a reading. Hold them still and I get a higher hit-rate.

3) Do not press too hard with your fingers! Just light enough to trigger the reading seems to be the trick for me. I use the pad area almost exactly where I'm typing on my fore-finger.

4) Do not rest or touch your hands together when doing a reading. It doesn't seem to measure between the two fingers, but perhaps measuring between fore-finger and opposite wrist. If I allow skin contact with my hands taking a reading, my percentage of readings goes down.

Now that I've got this down, I'm happy with it. I was initially thinking I'd be sending it back, but now it works great.

Good luck
on July 6, 2009
Verified Purchase
the bowflex watch looks good. that is a plus.
it really works with only one finger if need be, the bottom sensor.
it has many good features like target heart rate that when set to your stats will beep you when you check it and your target rate is too low or too high.
i just like monitoring my heart rate. it shows me where i am at and either speed up or down to increase or decrease my heart rate.
this is a must for optimum workout with cardio benefits.
this monitor is strapless and makes it easy to use from walking to biking.
i am glad i bought and use this watch. makes me want to exercise.
go exercise with benifits.
on September 13, 2009
Verified Purchase
I have never had a heart rate monitor watch. So I don't have any reference point but this watch does what it is suppose to. I have not had any problems with it. Everything works great. I do like the feature that you can use with one finger to check your heart rate. Its great when your running or doing some high intensity workout. It tells me when i am in my zone with one beep. 2 beeps to high or to low.
on April 11, 2010
Verified Purchase
I purchased this watch in January 2010. I do not like the feeling of a traditional heart rate monitor band wrapped around my chest, especially during heavy breathing from hard exercise. I hoped that this watch would be a viable solution, enabling me to check my heart rate with the touch of two buttons, as the watch is designed.

This watch works reliably as I sit here at my desk. It acquires my heart rate within just a couple seconds and is quite accurate. If you are looking to measure your resting heart rate, and you can't count, this is the perfect tool. However, the second I begin to move, all bets are off.

I am sorely disappointed with this product. At a running speed, ranging from a slow jog to a run to a sprint, I have never been able to acquire my heart rate using this device. I will hold down the buttons, and the sensor times out, every time, without obtaining a measurement. I can, sometimes, 50/50 is a fair estimate, acquire an accurate heart rate at a slow to moderate walking pace.

I've tried many, many times to make this watch work. I have experimented with the troubleshooting guide and attempted to manipulate many variables, including temperature and dampness of the environment and of my fingers. I have finally come to the conclusion that the device simply doesn't work as the manufacturer had hoped.

On the bright side, the watch has a countdown timer and a chronograph that work fine, and it's comfortable and fairly attractive. However, the technology is grossly inadequate to function as a heart rate monitor. I would strongly recommend avoiding this product.
on September 23, 2010
Verified Purchase
After adding this product to my wish list, my wife purchased it for me. Once I knew I was getting it, I , for some reason, went back on here to re read the reviews. All of the negativity was making me wonder if the product would even work. So once it came in I immediately put it on and started playing with it. And right now the only complaint I have is when I am not working out. During that time is when I have the most trouble with the HR monitor working consistently. I have never had it not show me my HR during my workout. Having a calorie counter and countdown timer is just a bonus for me.

***Edit***
So after having the watch for a month, the heart rate stopped working after I went swimming. I don't know if it was the salt water or what, but watch is being returned for a refund. I will be looking to see if I am going to get this one again, or find a different one. Gotta be able to still work after swimming, especially since it is supposed to be water proof.
on December 9, 2009
Verified Purchase
After reading the reviews from others I thought I would be OK with this watch considering I was going to use it while just exercising and not running. I was wrong the only time I can get the watch to give me my heart rate is before my workout. Any time I try to take my heart rate while I'm working out the watch just times out as if it failed to get a reading. I've tried for over a week and it's always the same results. Now I'm back looking for a new heart rate monitor.
on February 16, 2011
Verified Purchase
My review focuses on the accuracy of the device since there have been a number of reviews about an inability to retrieve a heart-rate or it being wrong. I have, in addition to this device, a Garmin 405 which provides a 'strapped' heart-rate and so I was in a position to wear both devices during some workouts and compare results. Discrepancies - where they existed - max'd out at about 4BPM (and this is when the heart rate was in the 150s.) Generally, I would find them within a heart beat or two of each other and so, as much as I can use two imperfectly calibrated devices to confirm each other, I was very pleased with the accuracy of the device.

Others have mentioned some difficulty with getting a reading. I have some forearm hair and dry skin (when I first got the unit out of the box resulted in an immediate success and several failures.) With some perspiration (the normal state of affairs when you want a heart rate) it never missed a reading. And this includes just a gentle warm-up - not a drenched, end of work-out state. So, again, no problems.

Legibility was fine indoors (where I was training) and managing to hold the two buttons while engaged in training wasn't too difficult.

Whether aesthetics drop a top and bottom button design I don't know. It would seem more natural to me to have them at 9 and 3 O'clock on the face as that, with a twist of the wrist and the alternate hand position would seem more natural.

There are various other functions available and they're going to be of importance to some more than others. They weren't that much of a deal for myself and hence I won't comment on the stop-watch, etc functions.

In summary: this device appears accurate, functional and solid value for the costs involved.