5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for both beginners and experienced wood worker!
This is a great project book for the person that wants to build simple boxes that look great and does not require a lot of experience.

Published on October 17, 2006 by Divnbrian

3.0 out of 5 stars One box, many times.
Not sure what I expected. More, perhaps. Yes, you can do the multi-colored boxes shown on the cover, but how many of them do you need? One, I'm guessing. This is a good book and it clearly shows you how to do what it says it will, but I guess I was hoping for a little scroll saw magic.
Published 2 months ago by Kindle Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for both beginners and experienced wood worker!, October 17, 2006
This review is from: Box-Making Projects for the Scroll Saw: 30 Woodworking Projects that are Surprisingly Easy to Make (Paperback)

The book layout consists of a color photo of the completed project, a pattern that you can photocopy and glue onto the wood and detailed photos of how to build them. The book does not show how to build every box because once you see how to build a certain type, the other are just variations on it. The tools needed are a scroll saw (bandsaw will not work),power sanding tools (belt or disk and small drum), clamps, and a drill(drill press is better).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for a Beginner or Experienced Woodworker, May 7, 2007
I have been involved in woodworking for some 50+ years and recently started to look for another avenue to explore. I purchased a scroll saw and needed some plans and hopefully some hints on how to proceed. This book has provided me with a wonderful source of creative box making projects starting with simple boxes and moving along to more advanced. The choices and skill levels are rewarding to the woodworker as well as to the person receiving the finished project. Great plans that produce great results. The author has taken considerable space in this book to guide the beginner in wood choice, scroll saw and blade choices as well as finishing techniques. Hints and suggestions are seen throughout the book. I am very glad to have found this book and from it, I am now making some wonderful gifts and enjoying every minute with my scroll saw and hand tools.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easier than they look!, May 9, 2007
Grizwald Fubar (Englewood, CO USA) - See all my reviews
I made my first box in record time - not hard at all, but don't try to shortcut on prep of the wood. (and look out for hardwoods that burn from scrollsaws running too fast.) Very cool! A good confidence builder for scrolling; I particularly like how they guide you on making all-wood hinges for the boxes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book on scroll saw box design., December 12, 2013
As someone new to using a scroll saw and also self-taught, this book was useful in demonstrating techniques that could be applied to all sorts of projects. I have followed the basic instructions--not particularly interested in the specific projects--wanted something to use to help me understand how to put projects together. Great for this use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making boxes for Christmas presents., October 30, 2013
D. VanAntwerp (Otsego, Michigan) - See all my reviews
I'm fairly new to the scroll saw but with the help of this book I'm making some really nice looking boxes for Christmas presents. First I went through the exercises of John Nelson's workbook to learn scroll saw basics. Now I'm going through this book making a variety of scroll saw boxes. You would never know I'm a beginner. This is an excellent book. It has good patterns, clear instructions, and lots of pictures to help me do it right. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boxes!!!, May 17, 2010
Great designs. Step by step photos show the basics. Lots of good information and great techniques.
Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, July 31, 2009
Easy to read, easy to follow and great little scroll saw boxes. You can easily make some very nice boxes from the many patterns in the book. There is even a pinwheel one that looks like the cover but even better!

4.0 out of 5 stars Close, but no cigar, December 28, 2008
Karl W. Bogott "Web Presence Analyst" (Virginia Beach, VA United States) - See all my reviews
The designs are well laid out, but, unless you know your tools, the behavior of different species and the process, the end result will be only good, not great. I built the '4 wood box' as an example and found that the dimensions don't take into account finish sanding and fit. I don't really fault the author. Any woodworker should know that different types of wood sand differently. In general, I recommend the book. I'll make more of these. I'll just do it my way.

3.0 out of 5 stars One box, many times., April 29, 2014
Kindle Customer (Silverdale, WA United States) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Errors in patterns, January 22, 2014
I bought this book for my husband. When he was making one of the boxes, the directions for enlarging the pattern pieces were wrong and ended up wasting wood.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›