5.0 out of 5 stars "For all the measure of which no man can see...'
Published on November 29, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Straining for Simplicity
Published on September 16, 2004 by R. J MOSS

5.0 out of 5 stars "For all the measure of which no man can see...', November 29, 2000
This review is from: Box of Rain (Audio CD)
It is interesting to find how few people know the identity of the lyricist for the Grateful Dead. And for those that do stumble across his work, many are annoyed that his voice is not simply an echo of the Dead style. A fortunate few bother to really LISTEN, and it is they who are blessed with the presence of Hunter's haunting genius, who find their cup running over with the sheer abundance of his lyrical genius. Anyone who loves words, who has to 'steal a rhythm/cop a rhyme,' in order to make their own harmony, should buy this album and buy his book of the same name (the book is the only official anthology of his lyrics...there do seem to be private, partial ones on-line done as labors of love by people whom Hunter has moved to copy him down, but the one he published has it all and is worth every penny. Nice format end binding, too).

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful Recording (for people who like it simple), June 29, 1999
This review is from: Box of Rain (Audio CD)
On this recording, Hunter lets his song writing do the work. Yes, he doesn't play as well as Jerry Garcia or Bob Dylan, but that is not the point of this record. It is interesting to hear how Hunter imagined these songs when he wrote them. The difference between Hunter's versions, and the Dead's versions make this record a gem.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Songs...and not the Music..., March 22, 2003
Arthur C. Hurwitz (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Box of Rain (Audio CD)
When this album is good, it is really good, and when it is ok, it is OK. Hunter's version of Box of Rain and Scarlet Begonias are not as musically complex as those of the Grateful Dead, but when Hunter sings, you know that he is singing his songs, and that only he knows exactly what these songs are about.... This is folk music in an older sense, and it is good. When the Grateful Dead recorded and performed Hunter's lyrics, it was more as a conduit to their musical vision. When Hunter performs these songs, howver, he is recreating the song as he initially imagined them. He is singing about what he knows and has experienced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Moving and Superb!, April 29, 2008
Peter Dykhuis (Grandville, MI USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Box of Rain (Audio CD)
This is one of my favorite albums. I had this on cassette for years and always meant to replace it on CD but could never find the album at a reasonable price. Recently I decided forget the price and managed to get it from a private seller through Amazon. I am very glad I did. Finally I can listen to Hunter on my PC while I work again.

I was afraid the passage of time would have made this album seem better then it was. I am happy to say it is just as good as I remember it to be. Hunter is first and foremost a lyricist. That is very clear. His vocals and instrumentation is crude in comparison to the same songs by the Dead or others. That is much of the joy. The album exudes emotion and feeling. I feel like I am drinking whiskey rather then beer. The spirits of the song have been distilled to the base element.

For those looking for a musical masterpiece you are looking in the wrong spot. For those who are interested in feeling the songs or in getting perspective from a song you never got before this is a definite win! A real shame that Robert Hunters CD's are not readily available.

3.0 out of 5 stars Straining for Simplicity, September 16, 2004
R. J MOSS (Alice Springs, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Box of Rain (Audio CD)
I'd like to like Rob Hunter's effort here a lot more than I do, but it does seem he'll be better remembered as the Dead's lyricist. A friend accompanied me to a concert in Cincinnati way back in 1979, and the stark 'revisiting' of that evening is pretty much conjured by this CD. By that read limited musicianship and vocals, and not a great deal of charisma that might hold a crowd. The songwriting skills are not half what Deadheads might claim for them. The best stuff on the individual solo work represented here comes from,'Rumrunners', but I don't think that adds up to a little more than half an album's worth of pleasant acoustic folk.

2.0 out of 5 stars Still don't like it, August 29, 2002
This review is from: Box of Rain (Audio CD)
I pull this CD out every once in awhile to listen to it, but I still don't really like it. I respect Hunter as a writer, but no matter how much I listen to the CD, I still find it hard to listen to. Not being a great singer never bothered me, I've always been a fan of Dylan and Neil Young (not great singing voices never got in their way), but Hunter's voice has always grated on me.
Oh well, some people get certain things, while others don't. I'm sure there are a lot of music I listen to that other people don't enjoy, either.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good selection of songs, over done performances, February 18, 1999
This review is from: Box of Rain (Audio CD)
I bought this CD on a whim because of the great song selection (Box of Rain, Brown Eyed Women, Jack Straw, etc.) and thought it would be good to hear them acoustically, but was sorely disapointed. Hunter's guitar playing isn't at all good, and his harp playing is worse. The singing is all over-done and over-emoted. Stick with the original Grateful Dead versions.

Box of Rain
Box of Rain by Robert Hunter (Audio CD - 1991)
Rate and Discover Movies