Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 23, 2006 9:11:01 AM PDT
B. Hoffman says:
Is Amazon still selling the old box set? It lists it as in stock. Didn't realize they were still being made. I thought the new, slim case set replaced it. Amazon list both at different prices. I am actually typing this on the old set's page

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2006 10:13:37 PM PDT
The old set lists that it has subtitles, but the new one does not mention it; I am deaf (well, close enough, anyway), and I'd prefer it with subtitles so I can read what the ^^&% they're saying. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2007 12:19:55 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 9, 2007 12:21:05 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2007 2:17:24 AM PDT
Bought it: it has closed-captioning; have submitted note to add to product description. I imagine the old box set just hasn't sold out yet, and that is why it is still for sale.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2007 9:24:07 PM PDT
Garmonbozia says:
OK, so what's the difference between these sets other than the packaging? I have the old set, am I missing anything?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2007 5:47:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2008 7:18:46 PM PST
The old set is now only being sold by Marketplace Clients. I ordered it from here new back in 2001, only to find it for $20 or $30 less (at the time) in a local Best Buy 2 weeks before the "street release" date. I grabbed it and regretfully cancelled my Amazon order. The new set, as I understand it includes a fold out map of the village and an episode guide, as well as being released in thin cases. The disc content as I have been told is exactly the same. I'm not worried about the map, and if I want a guide, I will track down of the book The Prisoner Companion (which if I can't get new, I'm sure I can get a nice deal from a Marketplace Client). By the way, old set does have English subtitles.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2007 6:09:54 PM PDT
Mark C. says:
I actually think A&E just threw the 2001 transfers from the last megaset into a new box with a © 2006 "40th Anniversary Edition" and a
"Restored! Remastered!" blurb in the notes
The insult on top of this is that they could have fit this onto 7 discs, like in the UK, but chose to drag it out to 10;
and no I dont think PAL speedup accounts for this-rather GREED.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2009 8:53:19 AM PST
May Patrick McGoohan rest-in-Peace!

Here's Wikipedia's take on the DVD sets:

'In 2007 as part of its official 40th Anniversary DVD set, Network produced "Don't knock yourself out", a feature length documentary featuring interviews with around 25 cast and crew members. The documentary received its own separate DVD release in November 2007 accompanied by a featurette called "Make sure it fits" regarding Eric Mival's music editing for the series. The 40th anniversary DVD set also included several crew commentaries.'

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2009 8:53:51 AM PST
May Patrick McGoohan rest-in-Peace!

Here's Wikipedia's take on the DVD sets:

'In 2007 as part of its official 40th Anniversary DVD set, Network produced "Don't knock yourself out", a feature length documentary featuring interviews with around 25 cast and crew members. The documentary received its own separate DVD release in November 2007 accompanied by a featurette called "Make sure it fits" regarding Eric Mival's music editing for the series. The 40th anniversary DVD set also included several crew commentaries.'

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2009 2:23:42 PM PST
Blue Coronet says:
A&E's 40th Anniversary 10 disc Set is NOT remastered. Same old prints, repackaged. NETWORK's 40th Anniversary Edition (Region 2), released in May of 2008 in the UK is 7 discs completely remastered from the original 35mm prints with some new additional special features. They are also releasing a remastered Danger Man set.

Does anyone know if these will be released here in a Region 1 version?

Posted on Aug 15, 2009 3:10:01 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Does this set include Alternate Arrival? An alternate version of Arrival does exist and has been released in the UK, but not in the U.S. as far as I know.

Posted on Apr 9, 2010 4:18:34 PM PDT
There is no alternate copy of Arrival that I know of. The alternate copy of "Chimes of Big Ben" is included on the disc with "Arrival". Sound is not so good and is not captioned (or subbies if you have the 2001 copy).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2010 7:00:10 PM PDT
Blue Coronet says:
You can get a good DVD player that will play region US and European DVDS for around $200. The Network set has both versions of Arrival, both versions of Chimes and all the extras that have been mentioned above.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2010 9:20:03 AM PDT
Blue Coronet says:
Not only is the alternative Arrival (which looks gorgeous) on the NETWORK UK set, but also PDF files of every Prisoner script plus:

two unfilmed scripts
two additional unfilmed story outlines
two copies of The Tally Ho - Village Newspaper
a 27 page series promotional booklet
a 54 page series promotional booklet
covers of the US & UK Prisoner novels
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2006
Latest post:  Nov 5, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Complete Prisoner Megaset
The Complete Prisoner Megaset by Patrick McGoohan (DVD - 2001)
4.5 out of 5 stars (393)