2,350 Reviews
 (1,264)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best stylus for the iPad
Published on July 2, 2010 by Jason M. Stone

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but too light.
My first impression of taking this out of the case is that I was going to drop it. It seemed too light for a writing implement, not heavy enough to stay in my hand. I thought this was just the nature of the beast but my husband picked up a Targus Stylus and -- even though it has the same tip -- the barrel is heavier and textured and easier to hold.

The tip is...
Published on August 20, 2010 by Oxoned

5.0 out of 5 stars Best stylus for the iPad, July 2, 2010
So, it seems like the iPad stylus getting all the attention and adoration is the Pogo Sketch Stylus. Having just spent a week using it, I can honestly say it's a piece of crap. The tip is overly soft and flops back and forth while you write. It also requires that you press entirely too hard before the iPad senses it. I now take all my meeting notes on my iPad, and the Pogo Sketch was too thin which, combined with the amount of pressure required, makes longer note-taking sessions actually a bit painful.

So, at my co-worker's suggestion, I ordered the BoxWave stylus. It's a thousand times better. The tip is more firm and rounded, so it doesn't move while using it. It feels more like a real pen, instead of a bad paintbrush. I suppose it costs a few bucks more, but it's worth it. Going from the Pogo Sketch to the BoxWave was like going from a Toyota Yaris to an Audi R8.

Actually, that's insulting to the Toyota...

4.0 out of 5 stars Better choice for writing on iPad, July 12, 2010
I was debating between the less expensive pogo sketch and this Boxwave stylus. I made the right choice. A co-worker of mine purchased the pogo sketch and we tested both pens on our notebook applications on the iPad. The Boxwave pen was easily registered by multiple different notebook programs on the iPad at a normal writing angle. The pogo sketch required an odd (almost perpendicular) angle to be picked up consistently. It is more expensive (at least when I purchased) but the Boxwave stylus is my clear choice since it is the more practical stylus for anyone who wants to use the stylus to write on the iPad on a regular basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Game changer, July 17, 2010
I used the pogo stylus for two months before I lost it. Looking at the reviews on Amazon, I decided to check out the boxwave. Paired with penultimate, the best sketchbook and note taking app on the iPad, I no longer use pen and paper. It's that good. The tip on boxwave is far more responsive and the body of the pen feels substantial. Apple should adopt this as an official accessory for the iPad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the best stylus currently available for iPad, July 14, 2010
This review is from: BoxWave EverTouch Capacitive iPad Stylus - Touch Screen Stylus with Ultra Durable FiberMesh Fabric Tip for Apple iPad Air, iPad mini 2 w/ Retina (2013), iPad 4, iPhone 5s / 5, iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4, Touchscreen Stylus for All Devices (Lunar Blue) (Personal Computers)
My iPad was given to me as a gift. I hadn't asked for it and I didn't expect it -- so when I got it I was more than slightly baffled as to what I would do with it.

I'm an artist by trade. I already have a few Wacom tablets. So when it was suggested i give drawing on the iPad a try -- I scoffed. The iPad doesn't have sensitivity like the Wacom tablets do, so I couldn't conceive that it would be good for anything beyond hangman or tic-tac-toe. Of course I was wrong. Crazy wrong.

The lack of sensitivity is an issue, but another stylus manufacturer has developed an algorithm that mimics sensitivity -- hopefully Apple will embrace this tech and implement it later on.

In the meantime, i learned to love drawing on my iPad; i loved being able to do quick little doodles and email them off to friends or clients... and while it takes some getting used to, you are capable of some remarkable detail.

Which is where using a stylus comes in.

Since I was initially clueless as to what to do with my iPad -- it also hadn't occurred to me to use a stylus for drawing. Here I was honing my finger-painting skills and then I watched as my friend casually whipped out her iPad and Pogo stylus and started doodling away. My jaw nearly dropped; what a revelation!

I ordered the exact same stylus she was using, the Pogo Sketch. When it arrived and I started drawing with it I was less than pleased; the tip is sort of this prickled velcro-y like fabric that is stuffed with foam rubber. It's pliant, and I didn't feel very in control with it -- by that I mean I couldn't be completely precise in where it would make contact with the screen. I felt it was just too mushy.

Then I ordered Boxwave's stylus. This was a vast improvement. The tip feels like a hollow rubber ball. It's definitely much more precise, and in my opinion -- superior for drawing. It's also a quality item, it's nicely made, the finish is nice, and it has a lanyard attached that plugs into the iPad's headphone jack.

Drawing on iPad is not like drawing on paper. There's a learning curve to it -- and different people will use different tools in their own way. In other words, a perfect stylus probably does not exist yet....but for me -- this one is pretty close.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Pogo stylus, July 31, 2010
Masud Haq (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I had bought the Pogo Stylus and within a day the clip broke off. A couple of weeks later I ordered this Boxwave stylus from Amazon and it turned out to be significantly better and actually usable without fatiguing my hand. The key differences are:

1. The Pogo tip is soft like a sponge so it moves back and forth (often I thought the tip would fall off) and it requires too much pressure on the iPad. The Boxwave tip is a firmer and smoother material and is rounded; it does not require as much pressure for the iPad to consistently recognize it. The tip also does not move around when writing. Great for drawing and handwriting recognition.

2. The Pogo stylus is too thin so it is very difficult to use for extended periods especially with the extra pressure it requires; the hand get fatigued quickly. I stopped using the Pogo after the first couple of days. The Boxwave is the right thickness and weight so on the iPad it feels like using a pencil or a pen.

3. The plastic clip on the Pogo broke off the first day. The Boxwave has a stronger metal clip.

4. The Boxwave stylus has a removable, short lanyard that attaches the pen to the headphone jack of the iPad so you don't lose it. (but you do have to pull it out to use because the lanyard is not long enough). The Pogo stylus has no lanyard.

The Boxwave stylus is definitely worth the extra money and it comes in four different colors.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Durable Than the Pogo Sketch,, August 5, 2010
I bought a Pogo Sketch to use with my iPad and at first I was elated. However, I used the pen quite a bit with the Penultimate app. In a few weeks the tip had flattened to the point that metal was starting to scrape the screen. I then ordred this Boxwave stylus and realized that I had been eating hamburger before when I could have had steak. The Capacitive Stylus tip is much harder and will last many months (years) longer than the Pogo. The harder tip also produces less friction so it is much smoother. I have a Zagg protective screen on my iPad is it works great with it. It is kinda expensive, but in the end you'll be glad that you spent the extra money. One thing that I hope they will change is the length of the attachment cable. It is made for an iPhone (and not an iPad). One end snaps into the headphone jack as an anchor. It it were longer, it would be of great use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Over priced, but a good product, June 19, 2010
I bought this stylus to use with an iPad for drawing and painting and writing apps. It works awesome. Basically works flawlessly as the missing stylus for an iPad. It is well made and looks nice. It is a bit over priced considering it is an anodized aluminum tube with some capacitance foam on the end. But it does use a very dense foam, which makes it more accurate than other iPad styii. If you don't mind the price, I would highly recommend this product for your iPad...

5.0 out of 5 stars More Durable Than the Pogo Sketch, August 5, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Details about stylus you may want to know, January 11, 2011
This stylus is 4 1/4" long from the tip that touches the iPad screen to the end, not including the part to which the included holder comes attached (the string part that can be inserted into the iPad audio out jack). A Mont Blanc ballpoint pen I own is 5 1/2" long (when the ballpoint tip is retracted).

I have large hands, so although I would prefer a larger capacitive iPad stylus because it would be easier for me to comfortably hold, I do appreciate that the tip of the stylus allows me more (though less than ideal) accuracy when handwriting, drawing, and painting on the iPad (using apps such as Penultimate and Sketchbook Pro) than I can get with my fairly broad fingertips.

I removed the string thing as soon as I got the stylus, as it felt funny to use the stylus with that thing hanging off it, and I don't really see where I would need to have the stylus physically attached to the iPad (plus I'm a tad reticent about putting anything in the audio out jack other than audio plugs). The string thing, in case you're interested, is about 2" long.

This is the first capacitive iPad stylus I've owned and while I expected a stubby tip (unlike the tips on styluses for electronics with non-capacitive screens such as Nintendo DS and Wacom pen tablets), I didn't know how stubby it would be. It's a heck of a lot smaller (less stubby) than the tips of my pinkies. The stylus tip is just a little larger in diameter than the unused eraser on a generic pencil (an Eberhard Faber American 2 HB). And the stylus tip is apparently hollow and is a dome-like shape. Pressing it with a fingertip is kind of like touching the rubber end of a very small medicine dropper; it has that kind of give. (After writing this review I had to see if the rubber bulb of a medicine dropper would work on an iPad screen. The screen didn't respond at all.)

If and when my BoxWave stylus wears out (or I lose it, or more likely in my case, I step on it and crush it - klutz that I am, I dropped it in the toilet since writing this, it survived after being rinsed, then towel dried and dried with a hair drier), I will investigate other brands before buying a replacement, in hopes that I could find a longer (more standard pen size) capacitive stylus. Like most of accessories for the iPad on the market, this accessory is overpriced, but I'm nevertheless glad I purchased it because it does enable me to do things on my iPad that I could not otherwise do (when using apps such as the ones I mention above). I should add that I do not as of yet have a screen protector on my iPad, so I cannot comment on how this stylus works on an iPad that has a screen protector. In addition to making it easier for me to use handwriting, drawing, and painting apps on the iPad, it also makes it easier for me to tap precise locations when necessary, such as when using the Safari browser.

4.0 out of 5 stars Way better than the Pogo Sketch, September 11, 2010
As another reviewer said, this product is superior to the Pogo Sketch.

The BoxWave has a more solid design. The clip at the top is metal, not plastic. The pen itself feels sturdier.

The tip design is superior, too. Instead of a black sponge for the capacitive surface, the BoxWave has a firm, balloon-like tip. It's basically a hollow, dome-shaped piece of rubber (or rubber-like material). It seems sturdy enough.

It allows you to write at an angle, which was a problem for me with the Pogo. You don't have to press hard at all for your iWhatever to register contact. Sometimes I had to push a little using the Sketch.