Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Boycott anything over $9.99

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 10000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 2, 2009 8:17:54 PM PST
C. S. Stein says:
I don't like what Amazon is doing playing with pricing. I've noticed the "new" Wally Lamb book is $16 and they raised the fourth Twilight book over $9.99

It is important that Amazon and the publishers realize that they will not be selling books that are over $10.

It's important that OLD and NEW Kindle folk DO NOT purchase anything over $9.99.

This was one of the big selling points for me, and I will not be bait and switched.

Keep together, all!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 8:28:23 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 24, 2009 8:05:04 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 8:36:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2009 8:42:55 PM PST
Meemo says:
It's doubtful I'd pay more than $9.99 for a Kindle book, but considering I've paid an average of $2.81 for my books downloaded from Amazon, I think it all evens out in the end. (Not to mention all the free downloads from feedbooks, etc.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 8:53:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2009 8:53:46 PM PST
Octochick says:
I can not see paying more than (9.99) that either. I also will not pay over 8.99 for a book that is out in paper back. People need to double check prices too before they hit the buy it button, from a sample. If you have had the sample for a while, the price may have changed since you downloaded it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 9:00:54 PM PST
Whatshername says:
I'm TOTALLY on board with this, and I hope the word gets out on other Kindle discussion boards. I want to read the Brook Astor book by Meryl Gordon, and it's $15.40!

As others said, the $9.99 pricing was a big selling point to me and justified me spending 400 bucks on what is essentially a luxury item. As soon as Amazon sees that Kindle users are going to pay more, the $9.99 price point will be completely gone. And it's bs that some have said it's a publisher decision. Even if that was the case, Amazon should not agree to carry books at a higher cost.

Jeff Bezos sat there on Oprah talking about the $9.99 what, 8 weeks ago? And thousands of Kindles were sold after her endorsement. Shame on Amazon for the price increases. Let's do it: BOYCOTT KINDLE BOOKS OVER $9.99!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 9:06:27 PM PST
To be fair, they never said that nothing was over 9.99. What they say is this: "New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases $9.99, unless marked otherwise." Which basically says nothing is guaranteed.

Although, I don't buy anything over that price, and very few at that price. I always bought paperbacks before, because I can't buy hundreds of books a year at hardback prices. Fortunately, lots of books are cheap.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 9:12:18 PM PST
Dawnann says:
I will continue to buy books over $9.99 as they are still cheaper than going to the bookstore and buying the hardcover version. They said $9.99 unless otherwise marked NOT nothing over$9.99

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 9:21:43 PM PST
melly says:
I won't buy over 9.99. In fact I think I have only bought one book for over 9.00. There are too many other cheaper books to keep me busy right now.

Melissa

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 9:40:15 PM PST
purplesneffy says:
I definitely agree. I read the whole twilight series about a month ago, and I didn't pay over 9.99 for any of them. I will definitely not pay over $9.99 for a kindle book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 10:07:37 PM PST
I agree. On the off chance that Amazon is watching: I will purchase exactly NO ebooks that cost more than 9.99. ZERO ebooks. As in none.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 12:07:03 AM PST
Bearfoot says:
Even though I have read every Series book of W.E.B. Griffin, hard back and paperback-some more than once; and I have bought several of his Kindle books, new and older reissue versions, I will not buy his latest book, "Black Ops", at $14.55. I don't care if it is 50% off the Hard Back. I will wait forever for the price to drop.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 2:05:27 AM PST
Benjamin says:
Ill pay more than 9.99 if its a book i want. Its still cheaper than buying from the bookstore.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 2:21:09 AM PST
E. Estades says:
I also will not be purchasing books above $9.99. There are few books that are important enough for me not to wait until it hits $5 or $6. I can have more classic lit than I'll ever be able to read for free from gutenberg.org. I read alot, but am displeased when I see hardback books in the bargain section for $4.99 and they are still $9.99 on Kindle. This makes no sense. Amazon advertizes most Best sellers to be $9.99, the instances where they are more should be few and far between.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 5:12:39 AM PST
SLR says:
I find it odd, that people compare the price to the hardcover all the time. I don't understand why someone who is now buying ebooks, chose hardcovers over paperbacks to begin with? It's clearly reaching with the price increases we are seeing, but we should have been comparing prices to the paperbacks from the beginning. Without the printing and distribution costs, they are still saving money selling ebooks rather than paperbacks, and yet, I've seen many cases where it costs more to buy the ebook. And like others have said, we have no way of giving our license to someone else after like we would have with any other book (if they find a way to let us do that, the prices wouldn't bother me so much). They've been ripping "us" (I've only bought one book that was $3 in the 5 months I've had it) off for awhile.

So I agree, definitely don't purchase anything over 9.99. But keep even the 9.99 purchases low, especially if they cost more or the same as the paperback. Comparing it to the hardcover is giving them to much power.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 5:17:27 AM PST
Snoopy says:
I also will not purchase a book for over 9.99. And aren't prices suppossed to go down over time--not up? I've never seen a price one day at a bookstore and then gone back a few days later only to see the price has gone up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 6:45:36 AM PST
I agree. I think this is just bad news for us. I wanted to order a book the other day and found it as 11.99. I won't buy it. I went to the library and go a audio book version. I tried to download it onto my Kindle and it is in secure WMA format and Kindle won't except it, so I put it on my MP3 player. The selling point of this device was that NO BOOK WOULD BE MORE THAN 9.99. What happened to that???

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 6:56:16 AM PST
Rick says:
I agree, I've had a Kindle since day 1 and the book price point is the reason I have it. Obviously over time things may change a little but a 50% increase is ridiculous. There are several books I want but won't buy now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 8:31:57 AM PST
Lynne J. says:
I agree. I'm retired and I don't think I can pay over $9.99 for a book especially with the economy like it is. Buying the Kindle was a big splurge for me. I'll wait until the price goes down, buy the paperback, or try the library. The libraries around here have banded together and the books are available to everyone in the area. Over 20 libraries and if one doesn't have the book one of the others does. Have you noticed Jayne Anne Krentz's newest book. It came out Dec in hb and is suppose to come out in Jan as a pb. Usually it takes a year for the pb to come out. I think I'll wait. It's still not available on Kindle. Currently I'm 2nd in line with the library to read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 8:38:32 AM PST
Absolutely. If I have to pay $16.99 or so, I may as well buy the hardback version from Amazon.

Eventually they will go down. In the meantime, I will read the ones I want from the library, and if they are worth it, will wait until the prices go down and then buy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 8:38:59 AM PST
John Newton says:
Although not as perfect as your econ 101 text book would lead you to believe your decision to buy or not buy a particular product at a particular price is (kind of) how pricing works anyway. No need to call for a boycott just do what you're (and every other customer) is already doing. If you want a more direct feedback loop contact Amazon and the publishers directly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 8:45:01 AM PST
Lilith Mckee says:
I am with you all I will never purchase a book over $9.99, I would rather just take it out from the library instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 8:45:40 AM PST
K. Neumann says:
Funny how I happened on this discussion,when I was just thinking why are their paperbacks cheaper than the kindle edition?We better not purchase anything over9.99 or they will raise the prices on other books.I will give Amazon the benefit of the doubt and say maybe there is aglitch somewhere in the system.How could the books get higher?Ialso have noticed that some parts of the book are missing,it could be my imagination but I could have sworn there was an extra chapter in the john lennon book from the bookstore that was not found on the kindle.I will double check that considering the book was 1000 pages I could be extremly confused and bored out of my mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 9:02:41 AM PST
Helaine says:
When we bought the Kindle we were told that books on the NY Times best seller list would be 9.99. If the book is not on the list it can be higher or lower. I think Breaking Dawn is off the list now.

I keep reading that it is the publishers that set the price. Still Amazon guarantees us the 9.99 price for books on the list. I am not sure how it can be both ways.

I do know I will keep a close eye on this board and watch for bargain prices for books that are on the rise but maybe not on the list yet.

9.99 is my set point. Nothing over.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 9:11:12 AM PST
Sydney's Mom says:
I think the price for ebooks is pretty elastic. If the ebook comes out at the same time as the hardcover, the author is entitled to compensation - is $9.99 the right amount? I don't know. But once the paperback comes out, then there is a different price point - I believe the price of the paperback is the ceiling.

I am thinking of books I bought in hardcover. Most of those I would pay more than $9.99 for. I did pay more than $9.99! But I certainly will not be buying any other books. In other words, I think by setting the price, higher, they are getting the people who would pay $26 for the hardcover, but not the people who would try the book, just 'cause it is under $10. I download so many free books, I don't have a problem buying the occassional book at more $9.99. However, I will ONLY buy the books I really want (a couple a year).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 9:22:15 AM PST
Sydney's Mom says:
Ok, now I am mad! I looked for the latest Sookie Stakehouse book, which was at $9.99. I thought I would wait, and give it a chance to come down a little, while I read the first 7 books, all of which were under $6 (which is about what they are worth). Well, I am currently at book 6, and after reading this thread thought i would take a look, and see that the paperback is out, at $7.99, and the kindle version is $11.99! It doesn't really hit home until your ox is the one being gored! Well, I guess I will order it from the library - i certainly have enough to read until it comes.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  1291
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jan 2, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 14, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 46 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation) by Amazon.com
4.2 out of 5 stars   (7,973)