Published on February 4, 2012 by D. Fowler

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Piece of Garbage
Published on November 26, 2012 by Ashlynn Hope

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great way for both knitters and non-crafty hobbiests to make many practical crafts!, February 4, 2012
This review is from: Boye Round Loom Set (Misc.)
Many elderly women I know, women who never knew how to knit, have this Boye Round Loom Set. They truly have become Knifty Knitters and every time I see them in action I'm amazed. I've knit for years and have done everything from socks to sweaters, but liked the idea that I didn't have to contend with dropped stitches or needles falling out of the yarn. One of the ladies, a 91 year old, claims that "If I can do it, anyone can." She "knits" between ten and fifteen hats each month for the homeless and children in need.

The instructions are minimalist at best, but if you go on the Internet, you can readily find Knifty Knitter patterns. The green loom, the smallest in the box, is more suited for making hats for dolls or preemies at the hat is quite small. The blue, orange, and pink looms make progressive size hats. One of the suggestions that we received from agencies was that they prefer darker colored hats for the homeless and that wider brims were welcome. When you are using the orange loom (the next to the largest) you can make a hat that will fit a 9 to 10 year old up to an adult because it will stretch if you use an acrylic.

You can make a nice brim by knitting 5". They you bring up the border to the loom and attach the stitches from the bottom row over the top instead of casting on more stitches. Just continue on as usual. Once you have 8" from the bottom of the brim, then you can bind off and complete your hat. Make sure you have enough yarn to finish the last step and sew the top of your hat. The double brim covers the ears, making the hat nice and warm. This is a versatile loom set and lots of fun, especially for those who have never learned to knit. A couple of other recommended books would be the Loom Knitting Primer: A Beginner's Guide to Knitting on a Loom, with over 30 Fun Projects and I Can't Believe I'm Loom Knitting. This is a great loom set, very practical, and lots of fun!

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Piece of Garbage, November 26, 2012
This review is from: Boye Round Loom Set (Misc.)
This is not the actual Knifty Knitter brand of loom. This is the exact same product you can get at Walmart for less than $10 and it's not even worth that! I made the mistake of buying this and one of the rings had 2 pegs that snapped off (not slid out, snapped and broke) after I only made one hat with it. One of the smaller sized rings did the same thing after I made 2 hats on it. I had the same brand of loom for making scarves, and it was broken before I even used it, so I returned it immediately. Since then I've gotten the actual Knifty Knitter brand of looms and they don't break.

Don't waste your money on this lousy knockoff. For this price you can get the real Knifty Knitter and save yourself the frustration.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, instructions only for making hat, February 29, 2012
This review is from: Boye Round Loom Set (Misc.)
This is clearly a great product that will last a long time--I am super impresssed that my 6 yr old is sitting on the couch making a hat right now. The only reason it lost a star is the instructions are only for making a hat, and they provide a website [...] that is supposed to give additional patterns and projects but that link doesn't work.
Otherwise super pleased!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Slits on the Pegs Take Your Yarn Hostage, May 6, 2013
This review is from: Boye Round Loom Set (Misc.)
The loom set is in general like any other. The plastic however, is a bit more light weight. Like the other sets it includes the hook and the needle which is nice. That is the end of what can be considered good about this brand of looms.

I teach basic loom knitting and I make it a point to tell beginners NOT to buy the Boye brand because I don't want them to get discouraged. The biggest problem by far to me is the slits on the pegs. They take your yarn up and under the head of the peg making it very difficult to grab the loop of yarn with your hook.

I have uploaded a picture in the hopes that it will give a clear understanding of my point. The Knifty Knitter Round Loom Set With Hook & Bag is a better option even if it can sometimes be a few dollars more.

5.0 out of 5 stars so much fun, November 12, 2011
This review is from: Boye Round Loom Set (Misc.)
the largest works for children and adult sized hats, the others are almost like baby doll sized hats. i found out the hard way so theres a little heads up on that.
these looms make eyelet hats BUT if you dont want an eyelet hat i double up on yarn (when i make the loom to begin with the initial loop to the side of the loom and throughout the process i use 2 balls of yarn together) it gives it a nice almost tv showey effect or you can use 2 of the same color but basically by using 2 it gives you a thicker warmer hat.
for an adult sized hat i go around 40 times, 43 for a mans large head, 34 to 37 for a childs but you can really just feel it out, just look at the length and deduct 3/4 an inch for tieing it off space. my fourth time around i take the loop off the peg and slip it around the loom and slip it over with the other yarn so that it doesnt show up on the hat as a random loop.
im telling you all of this because the instructions tell you practically nothing and i had to learn this with practice.
plus, for large doll hats use the second largest loom and go around 30 times. my mom collects dolls and she loves the hats.
dont buy the scarf maker its a waste of money.

1.0 out of 5 stars If I could give negative stars I would!, January 7, 2013
This review is from: Boye Round Loom Set (Misc.)
I experienced same problems as other reviewers, Broken pegs. Three of the four hoops were damaged. I am returning this junk today. Spend the extra money and buy a good loom. Don't waste your money on this junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Knitting Nightmare, January 4, 2013
gail addison (NAPLES, FL, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boye Round Loom Set (Misc.)
These are available in a number of stores for 13.99 to 24.99. They aren't worth $.99! If this was my first experience with a knitting loom, I would never want to make anything!!! The pegs won't stay in, they are longer than the normal peg, and the crochet like tips are difficult to use. I didn't buy mine from Amazon; however, I hope that they decide NOT to offer them!
I like to make caps and give them away. This is a relaxing hobby with the right brand of loom. If I could have assigned a rating lower than one star, I would have.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pegs break off, March 1, 2013
This review is from: Boye Round Loom Set (Misc.)
I have to agree with a few of the reviewers. I have a set of this brand of looms and I had two pegs broken on my 30 peg loom. Now its useless. I brought the loom on a long car ride hoping to pass time, I was left with a broken loom half way into my project and nothing to do. What a waste of time. I hope the Knifty Knitter doesn't do the same thing.

2.0 out of 5 stars BAD NEWS, March 14, 2013
This review is from: Boye Round Loom Set (Misc.)
I AM NOT A FAN OF THIS BRAND OF LOOMS. I TRIED TO USE THIS SET, BUT THE PEGS KEPT FALLING OUT WHILE I WAS KNITTING ON THEM. THE PEGS JUST MOVE TO MUCH FOR MY TASTE.

2.0 out of 5 stars loom set, November 29, 2012
This review is from: Boye Round Loom Set (Misc.)
the pegs brake off we have tryed to replace them but it dosen't work.
I have tryed to find the co. so I can complain but only found TN.

Boye Round Loom Set