5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed
With this I know if those scraps are enough to do the small projects I want to do. Works very well whether attached to table or held in hand which I found more convenient.
Published 24 months ago by Dixie Thompson

1.0 out of 5 stars Not at all accurate
I bought this product so that I could measure out bulk yarn into usable portions. I checked the accuracy two ways:

First, I estimated the yardage on my handspun yarn using my niddy noddy (a 5 foot skein maker), and came up with 86.5 yards. The counter measured it at 100 yards. That's a very big difference.

Then, I measured a commercial yarn, that was...
Published on October 15, 2012 by Barbara Iachini

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Not at all accurate, October 15, 2012
This review is from: Boye Yarn Yardage Counter (Kitchen)

Then, I measured a commercial yarn, that was supposed to be 220 yards. This counter measured it at 265 yards. I this same yarn through a second time and it said 233 yards. The counter doesn't even agree with itself on consecutive measurement of the exact same yarn.

The whole point of this product is to get a somewhat accurate measurement of how much yarn you have. It does not do this at all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just not that great, January 5, 2012
This review is from: Boye Yarn Yardage Counter (Kitchen)
Honestly you'd be better off saving your money for another model. Nancy's Knitnacks has one for about $50 that has a wood assembly that clamps to a table. The suction cups on this one frankly suck (and not in the useful way). I ended up blue-tacking it down and it still doesn't stay put very reliably. It seems a little more geared towards worsted and chunky yarns than the Nancy's Knitnacks one, but that's about the only advantage. It's better than patience and a yardstick, but save your money and buy a better meter if you can.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth The Money Spent, February 15, 2011
This review is from: Boye Yarn Yardage Counter (Kitchen)
Paid over $14 for this yard meter and it stop working after winding only 4 balls of yard ... I have lots to wind and now I'm at a stop. Do not waste your money on this item. You get what you pay for.

1.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate, August 27, 2012
This review is from: Boye Yarn Yardage Counter (Kitchen)
I bought this thinking to save a little money on a high-end yardage meter from Knit Picks or Patternworks. I thought it did the job just fine until I recently wound up a hank of yarn which I knew was 382 yds, but the Boye meter told me it was 450 yds. That's a huge difference! That means that this meter is NOT accurate at all. This now makes me realize all the balls of yarn that I've run through this meter which I now have to go back and remeasure. I think I'll just put out the money for a good meter and not worry about all this discrepancy between what the ball band says and what this cheap meter claims as the yardage.

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, September 15, 2012
D. Sowders (North Carolina, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boye Yarn Yardage Counter (Kitchen)
I bought this meter at a craft store, using a 50% off coupon, so I only paid around $7 for it. To contrast, high-end yarn yardage counters can go for $80 and up.

It worked okay for a few balls - generally doing better with worsted than sock yarn. However, after less than a dozen uses, the little wheel inside wouldn't "grip" the yarn anymore, and the counter would not turn at all. The unit is also rather flimsy, which makes me wonder how accurate the measurements were in the first place. The suction cups never came loose for me, but they don't feel very secure. The whole thing feels wobbly and unsteady.

Don't waste your time with this meter. Either buy a "real" counter from Webs, or look for an online tutorial to make your own.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth the $, September 25, 2012
This review is from: Boye Yarn Yardage Counter (Kitchen)
I bought this yardage counter from a craft store for $18 and almost immediately regreted it. Half of the face plate fell off as soon as I opened the package. It was easy to put back on but it continues to fall off. The suction cups won't hold to any surface in my house; I've tried every table, chair arms, counters, the fridge. The counter is definitely not accurate. I pulled about 20 inches through and the counter registered it as a full yard. It also gets stuck periodically and does not register the yardage at all. This counter is definitely not worth the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate; Doesn't work for anything smaller than bulky yarn, April 14, 2013
This review is from: Boye Yarn Yardage Counter (Kitchen)
I could not get it to register for anything smaller than bulky-weight yarn. And, as other reviewers have noted, the reading was very inaccurate, at least 20% high. The suction cups would not stick to any surface, no matter how smooth. Very poor value.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not accurate, falls apart, October 12, 2013
A. D. Turner (Shreveport , LA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boye Yarn Yardage Counter (Kitchen)
I measured the same ball of weight class 5 yarn three times and got a different yardage indicated each time. I also measured a ball of weight class 6 yarn three times and got a different yardage indicated each time. The weight class 6 yarn also started to unravel into its separate strands. The suction cups on the yardage counter are useless. You wind up having to hold the yardage counter down with one hand. The cover on the yardage counter kept popping off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst product ever, June 11, 2013
JT "Jt" (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boye Yarn Yardage Counter (Kitchen)
Worst product ever. Could have measured quicker using a yard stick. Way over priced, instructions incomplete. Boye should give up selling such an inferior product.

1.0 out of 5 stars This item is junk!, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Boye Yarn Yardage Counter (Kitchen)
I have always trusted Boye products, however, this item was not only costly, but it's junk. Does not work.
Would not recommend this to anyone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›