4.0 out of 5 stars Informative Book
Published on September 11, 2003 by Jake Z

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun Read!
I like this book. It was very eye opening. As a man just coming out It helped me with alot of my hangups.
Published on July 18, 2009 by Matt Steiner

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative Book, September 11, 2003
This review is from: Boyfriend 101: A Gay Guy's Guide to Dating, Romance, and Finding True Love (Paperback)
I read this book out of curiosity - as well having a bit of trouble with the dating scene. Before I read this book I felt I had all the answers, I knew everything and no one could really tell me anything. I was untouchable, in retrospect. Although subconsciouslly I knew I was not perfect and had some issues to work through, I read this book and it did open my eyes in many areas and helped me understand that I need to take blame, but not completely. I needed to learn from my mistakes, and the way the material is expressed here is very helpful and to the point. The writing is easy to understand and quirky in a sense, it's not a dry read at all. His suggestions for opening conversations with guys though I found helpful, however slightly pretentious. He makes it sound so easy to start a conversation or to just find someone on the street but it's not always that easy. The book dealt with a number of issues, such as proper dating rules, what is inappropriate, body image issues, abandonment issues, types, and more. I found the book informative, even for things that were unrelatable to me. I think if anyone read this book it would help in any way, as humans we want to think that we don't need any help but it's ok to learn and make yourself a better person.

4.0 out of 5 stars loved it - recomended, April 9, 2006
After reading the bread and butter gay dating books (e.g. "the MANdates") Dating 101 emerged from the stack. Most importantly, the author Jim Sullivan gives practical advice to integrate into your everyday life. Using real cases of men he worked with, Sullivan addresses the psychology of many gay relationships while helping the reader understand what successful relationships and dating should look like. This means recognizing the "red flags" faster while gaining a clearer understanding of your own issues.

An earlier reviewer complained: the book did not help him meet science geeks. In context, it seems like this reviewers issues are more with the gay community than the text. Clearly, Morrison cannot address every social niche. Despite this, Morrison works will all sorts of men and he offers advice on how to meet men and expand your social circle.

If you want a textbook on dating, you have come to the wrong place. However, for anyone looking for an enjoyable book with practical advice and insight, this text is recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally a Good Book; Great Thought Starter, April 5, 2007
A great book for those just starting on the gay dating scene, or for those who haven't been having much luck. This book guides you from A-Z on how to date, how to avoid many of the pitfalls that gay men face while dating, and how to make a relationship last. My only major disagreement is that the author states that most gay men go through a 'slut stage' before they are ready to settle for love. This may be true for a large number of gay men, but I know many others that wait for love to have sex. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a good general guide to dating other men.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, lots of great tips, August 29, 2005
I have to say that the bulk of the material is simple common sense - yet it took reading the book for me to actually jump on a lot of the tips... The Author is light and humerous, the book is an enjoyable read...

5.0 out of 5 stars Jim Sullivan has done our community a real service, July 14, 2003
By A Customer
Jim Sullivan's Boyfriend 101 is an easy and fun to read primer on dating that our community has needed and wanted for a long time. The book is chock full of useful advice and illuminating examples. What's more, this sensible guide really works. I can attest to it from my experience.
Thank you Jim!

5.0 out of 5 stars On my way to meeting a guy., December 15, 2010
Boyfriend 101 is a pretty decent read. The chapters are not long, but very informative. The author gives advice on ways to meet a boyfriend. Honestly, it is stuff we all already know, however reading it does put into perspective that even though I know this, I still do not put myself out there. So far im about 3/4 of the way done with the book and now realize that I need to put myself out there. I need to take risks in my approach to dating.
I have enjoyed reading this book and would reccommend it to anyone who is out in the dating world.

5.0 out of 5 stars the gay guy essential for dating, May 18, 2011
This was essential guide for the serious gay guy who wants to settle down with the life partner. I think that this book is so important that I plan on using this as a text book for a workshop titled: Hooking Up- How to Get From Mr. Right Now, to the Mr Right of Civil Unions. I plan on getting more copies to give to the workshop attenders. Hawaii will start having Civil Union certificates available January 2, 2012. And, of course there will be officiants who will be "licensed" to perform the ceremony to go along with the legal right. This should be a boon for churches and other religious organizations. This is literally a social phenomenon, that we will all benefit from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking the dating Taboo, September 5, 2003
Boyfriend 101 is a fun and practical guide to find and keep a healthy, lasting relationship.
Jim Sullivan is truly a gifted writer, breaking the taboos that surround finding your Romeo.
I love this book, I have given many copies to friends, who after reading the Boyfriend 101, decided to give dating another chance.
"The dating Bible" Or "THE RULES" for the Dating guy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, makes you think..., September 7, 2005
I bought this book somewhat out of curiosity and some because of the other reviews. Well I can tell you what it is is a great book to use to both understand what you are doing right in the dating world, but also what you are doing wrong!! I highly recommend it and have already been doing that to my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whether you are brabd new to dating or have been in multiple relationships, friends, lovers, etc, January 9, 2014
Whether you are brand new to dating or have been in multiple relationships - friends, lovers etc, this little book covers an ocean of knowledge, experience, personal stories etc to HELP the reader Succeed and navigate the world beyond yourself. If you have read it, practiced it, made a real attempt and Nothing is working - you are most likely in too small a place. Remember that the entire universe is statistical. If you are looking for donuts and the best your town has is a video store - its time to travel.

Boyfriend 101: A Gay Guy's Guide to Dating, Romance, and Finding True Love