4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful books, but Greatest Hits 2 is better
Published on February 6, 2005 by DTK

3.0 out of 5 stars We like Volume Two better
Okay, I have to admit I haven't read A to Z and only checked out Doggies from the library. Don't take my rating wrong, we LOVE Boynton, but these aren't our favorites. Volume Two would be preferred in our house with Horns to Toes and the Going to Bed Book.
Published on November 6, 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful books, but Greatest Hits 2 is better, February 6, 2005
This review is from: Boynton's Greatest Hits: Volume 1/Blue Hat, Green Hat; A to Z; Moo, Baa, La La La!; Doggies (Boynton Board Books) (Board book)
We love the Sandra Boynton books. This four-book set is a great starter set. Our son, one year old, likes these books more and more as he gets older. They are fun for us to read to him, and he enjoys the pictures. The drawings are very clear (not like some of the books that we have where the illustration is more like watercolor) and that makes it easy for him to tell what he's looking at. I feel like that makes these books better for learning the names of the animals, colors, etc.

All those positive things said, I personally like the titles in the Greatest Hits 2 box set better. Those four tell better stories. These four are not as narrative, with the possible exception of "Moo, Baa, La La La." "A to Z" is an alphabet book with animals, which is not narrative at all. "Doggies" is really fun because it lets you make barking noises, and our son loves the book, but again, it's not really a story. "Blue Hat, Green Hat" depicts a cute story (a turkey who doesn't know how to put clothes on properly -- wears his shoe on his head, for instance), but it has few words, so it lacks the terrific sing-songy rhythm that I love in Boynton's other books.

These are good books, but if you want to experience the best of Boynton, consider Greatest Hits 2 instead of (or in addition to!) this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST author for little bits!!!, November 3, 2003
"standbyq13" (Evansville, IN) - See all my reviews
When our oldest (now 6) was 3 months old we happened upon Moo, Baa, La La La, bought it and we are now, two kids later on our fourth copy! We of course bought more and more Boynton books, and just got Philadelphia Chickens for the girls as a Christmas gift! (It includes a CD of songs- it's GREAT!) I found that whatever topics we had Boynton books on, like colors and types of clothing (Blue Hat, Green Hat), animal sounds (Moo, Baa, La La La), parts of the body (Horns to Toes), my daughters knew very early. Boynton book are funny, have bright and engaging graphics, and educational value! But, the greatest thing about her books is that not only will your kids love them, but you will love them! They are my favorite books to read to them too! And my kids didn't grow out of them as quickly as most of the board books. In fact, when my oldest was learning to read we used them and she now reads them to her baby sister. In my opinion, I think that Sandra Boynton is on the same level of skill and talent as Dr. Suess.
I have purchased at least one Boynton book for every baby shower I have gone to in the past five years, and I hope that everyone will discover how wonderful these books are.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Boynton's Books!!!, December 30, 1998
What I love best about Sandra Boynton's board books is that they are fun for both my son to hear and for me to read. Our long-time favorite was "Moo Baa LALALA" - at 17 months, my son could recite every one of the animal sounds (well, except the pig). The only down-side of this set is the "Doggies" book. My husband and I hid this one because we detested reading it - all the barking, howling, whining, arfing, and woofing was tiresome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful rhymes and illustrations for young children!, June 14, 1999
By A Customer
The Sandra Boynton books are wonderful for babies and toddlers! As a mother, I never tire of reading them and my toddler never tires of hearing them. The fun rhymes, whimsical illustrations and simple themes keep us very entertained. They are great gifts for new Moms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for "children at heart" of all ages, May 2, 2000
By A Customer
This is a wonderful series of books that enables toddlers to "read" at a very young age. The humor is ageless, and I always give this set as a gift to first-time parents, to ensure that they know about Boynton's books. Although I love them all, I have a special fondness for "Doggies" which must be read with expression to be enjoyed! Trying to manipulate those barks is great fun.
My daughter's personal favorite is "But Not tThe Hippopotamus", my son loves "Moo, Baa, La La La", and we all giggle at "Blue Hat, Green Hat".
Although my kids have outgrown board books (at 13 and 17) we have never put away the Boynton books, as we enjoy going back to them for the respite and pleasure they continue to afford all of us! (Yes, the kids admit that they still love these books! )
Set yourself free, and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta have 'em., August 2, 2003
"sklt1" (Indianola, IA United States) - See all my reviews
My first two ladies (now 5.5 years and 4.5 years old) loved these books to death, literally, so I'll be replacing them (both Volumes One and Two) soon after the current Wiggle arrives. We all loved "Doggies" - "Nine doggies on a moonlit night AaaaaaOOOOOOOooooooo" - what fun to read! The ladies loved "The Oops Book" - Blue Hat, Green Hat - as well, because that crazy turkey just *didn't get it*. All of Sandra Boynton's books are wonderful, though.
I've been doing my best to make sure that every baby *I* know has these books in his library; everyone else should do the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Baby Laughed, October 30, 2003
Brenda L. May "Brenda" (Waukesha, WI United States) - See all my reviews
We were at a local playgroup and they read Blue Hat, Green Hat. My 7-month old son laughed out loud. He had laughed before, but I think this was the first time he laughed without direct eye contact or being tickled. After playgroup I inquired -- Sandra who?? I hadn't heard of these books, but have since purchased several.
My baby is now 2 and has a 4-month old brother. These books have become very popular favorites for reading time in our home.
I wonder how old our new baby will be when he laughs at the "silly chicken".

3.0 out of 5 stars We like Volume Two better, November 6, 2002
By A Customer
Our top-rated Boynton books for a collection would be Horns to Toes, One Two Three!, The Going to Bed Book, Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs, Pajama Time, Barnyard Dance, and Moo Baa La La La.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously nonsensical, November 17, 1998
By A Customer
I love Boynton's children's books. Most of the children in my life have received her titles as gifts. Moo is the perfect injection of silliness into the world of animal sounds. A to Z has great illustrations. Doggies will expand your knowledge of dog noises beyond woof woof. And Blue Hat, Green Hat is silly while reassuring that everyone makes mistakes in dressing every once in awhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars If only adult books were more fun..., July 29, 1999
By A Customer
I laughed out loud when I read "Blue Hat, Green Hat" in the store. My husband thought I was nuts, but the little kids in the children's section thought it was pretty funny, too.