Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on February 6, 2005
We love the Sandra Boynton books. This four-book set is a great starter set. Our son, one year old, likes these books more and more as he gets older. They are fun for us to read to him, and he enjoys the pictures. The drawings are very clear (not like some of the books that we have where the illustration is more like watercolor) and that makes it easy for him to tell what he's looking at. I feel like that makes these books better for learning the names of the animals, colors, etc.

All those positive things said, I personally like the titles in the Greatest Hits 2 box set better. Those four tell better stories. These four are not as narrative, with the possible exception of "Moo, Baa, La La La." "A to Z" is an alphabet book with animals, which is not narrative at all. "Doggies" is really fun because it lets you make barking noises, and our son loves the book, but again, it's not really a story. "Blue Hat, Green Hat" depicts a cute story (a turkey who doesn't know how to put clothes on properly -- wears his shoe on his head, for instance), but it has few words, so it lacks the terrific sing-songy rhythm that I love in Boynton's other books.

These are good books, but if you want to experience the best of Boynton, consider Greatest Hits 2 instead of (or in addition to!) this one.
0Comment|154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2003
When our oldest (now 6) was 3 months old we happened upon Moo, Baa, La La La, bought it and we are now, two kids later on our fourth copy! We of course bought more and more Boynton books, and just got Philadelphia Chickens for the girls as a Christmas gift! (It includes a CD of songs- it's GREAT!) I found that whatever topics we had Boynton books on, like colors and types of clothing (Blue Hat, Green Hat), animal sounds (Moo, Baa, La La La), parts of the body (Horns to Toes), my daughters knew very early. Boynton book are funny, have bright and engaging graphics, and educational value! But, the greatest thing about her books is that not only will your kids love them, but you will love them! They are my favorite books to read to them too! And my kids didn't grow out of them as quickly as most of the board books. In fact, when my oldest was learning to read we used them and she now reads them to her baby sister. In my opinion, I think that Sandra Boynton is on the same level of skill and talent as Dr. Suess.
I have purchased at least one Boynton book for every baby shower I have gone to in the past five years, and I hope that everyone will discover how wonderful these books are.
What I love best about Sandra Boynton's board books is that they are fun for both my son to hear and for me to read. Our long-time favorite was "Moo Baa LALALA" - at 17 months, my son could recite every one of the animal sounds (well, except the pig). The only down-side of this set is the "Doggies" book. My husband and I hid this one because we detested reading it - all the barking, howling, whining, arfing, and woofing was tiresome.
on August 2, 2003
My first two ladies (now 5.5 years and 4.5 years old) loved these books to death, literally, so I'll be replacing them (both Volumes One and Two) soon after the current Wiggle arrives. We all loved "Doggies" - "Nine doggies on a moonlit night AaaaaaOOOOOOOooooooo" - what fun to read! The ladies loved "The Oops Book" - Blue Hat, Green Hat - as well, because that crazy turkey just *didn't get it*. All of Sandra Boynton's books are wonderful, though.
I've been doing my best to make sure that every baby *I* know has these books in his library; everyone else should do the same.
on October 30, 2003
We were at a local playgroup and they read Blue Hat, Green Hat. My 7-month old son laughed out loud. He had laughed before, but I think this was the first time he laughed without direct eye contact or being tickled. After playgroup I inquired -- Sandra who?? I hadn't heard of these books, but have since purchased several.
My baby is now 2 and has a 4-month old brother. These books have become very popular favorites for reading time in our home.
I wonder how old our new baby will be when he laughs at the "silly chicken".
on June 14, 1999
The Sandra Boynton books are wonderful for babies and toddlers! As a mother, I never tire of reading them and my toddler never tires of hearing them. The fun rhymes, whimsical illustrations and simple themes keep us very entertained. They are great gifts for new Moms.
on November 17, 1998
I love Boynton's children's books. Most of the children in my life have received her titles as gifts. Moo is the perfect injection of silliness into the world of animal sounds. A to Z has great illustrations. Doggies will expand your knowledge of dog noises beyond woof woof. And Blue Hat, Green Hat is silly while reassuring that everyone makes mistakes in dressing every once in awhile.
on December 20, 2015
This is a cute little set. My daughter LOVES the "Blue Hat, Green Hat" Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton on Board) and the "Moo Baa La La La" Moo Baa La La La books. She wasn't so big on the other two books ("Doggies" and "A to Z"). When I purchased more books for gifts for friends, instead of this set I just purchased the "Blue Hat, Green Hat" and "Moo Baa La La La" books separately instead of buying this set again. I also highly highly recommend the "Hippos Go Berserk!" Hippos Go Berserk! book by Boynton. My daughter LOVES that one the most but it is not included in this set.
on June 26, 2015
This 4 book set of Sandra Boynton's Greatest Hits is a nice addition to my daughter's night time reading list. The illustrations are whimsical and the writing has a very musical pace that get's better with repeated readings. Because they are board books, they are short and make good supplemental books when my daughter says,"Daddy, I want 5 books tonight." She usually picks one long book and a few of her Sandra Boynton books.

There are plenty of opportunities to sound out words and learn letters, especially with the book "A to Z." The repetition of "Blue Hat, Green Hat" encourages my daughter to read along, when she's not busy falling asleep.

This book set is perfect for a 2-4 year old and I would highly recommend them.
on July 29, 1999
I laughed out loud when I read "Blue Hat, Green Hat" in the store. My husband thought I was nuts, but the little kids in the children's section thought it was pretty funny, too.