Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Tap Giveaway Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 18, 2011
I love to get books for kids as gifts (especially classics), and sometimes it's hard to think of a "fun" book for boys between 9-12. I really think the Book of Survival is a great one. The chapters alternate between humorous advice and practical helps. I'm not sure if the advice on surviving polar bears, piranhas, sharks, and the abominable snowman would work, but I think the boys will keep on reading. The author does offer some helpful advice on planning expeditions, being a good leader, and using a compass.
I am also very concerned about authors (I've never read before) sneaking something crude or dirty into kids' books. I read every word. This book is clean and I bought 4 copies for my son, nephews, and a friend.
11 comment|114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2009
THE BOYS' BOOK OF SURVIVAL is a uniquely comedic book that can help young boys face any situation - from a zombie invasion, to a school dance, to landing an airplane.

There are many educational tips in this book that can be used in real life if one every got lost or stuck in a forest or was in any other dire situation. There are also impractical, yet funny, tips on how to survive alien invasions and disastrous pimples.

Guy Campbell writes witty and useful tips that will keep the reader wanting more. This book is a very quick read and the great illustrations by Simon Ecob only enhance the book's overall satisfaction.

And don't think that this book is only useful for boys; being an 18-year-old girl, I found this book very helpful, as well. I learned how to survive many dangerous situations, such as walking into quicksand or confronting a bear.

No matter your age or gender, this is one fast and funny read.

Reviewed by: Steph
0Comment|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2010
My 8 year old son absolutly loves this book, its his second copy. His first copy got left out in the yard and got soaked. He was just torn apart about it so I went on Amazon and got his second copy. Its a great book for kids his age and good reading.
on February 21, 2013
I am a 10 year old who had read the Dangerous Book for Boys... I loved this one. Wishing to read other similar books, I bought this one and was certainly not disappointed.
Although the book is realtively short, all the chapters inside it are fascinating and reveal awesome information I had never come across before.
If you are wishing to buy a book that will entertain a young boy, this is certainly IT!!!!!!!!
on November 30, 2010
I bought this book for my 10 year old son. And
He love the book he thought it was funny too..
I like the fact that because is for boys it got his
Attention to read it : )
Anything that brings a smile to your child
You got to love! Great book!
on January 27, 2013
Great. Given to a 14 year old boy for christmas. He loved it and is having so much fun with it.
on November 1, 2012
My son has been interested in survival, wilderness, and camping books ever since we read "My Side of the Mountain" (great book), so when I found this guide and saw the old fashioned cover I thought "perfect". There are some good chapters, like "How to Make a Dugout Canoe", or "How to Track a Wild Animal" or "How to make a Survival Pack". Just be aware you can also learn to "Survive a Zombie invasion", "Haunting" and "Alien Invasion". I didn't think to look for those myself and that's not the kind of book we were looking for.
55 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2012
I ordered 2 of these for my nephews, ages 7 and 13, and I'm sure they will both love it. When it arrived, I began to flip through the pages to see if I thought it was appropriate for them and I ended up sitting down and reading the whole thing, from cover to cover. (and I'm not even a boy!) Some of it is good info. and worth discussing and some of it is pure comedy. Don't hesitate - anyone would love this book!
on April 19, 2011
I bought this book as a gift for my grandson who had just turned 9. He absolutely loved it- read it cover to cover, and now, several months later carries it with him as his "reference" book. It is light hearted and good fun, and will make adults chuckle remembering how many questions, some quite outlandish we all had as children. I highly recommend this book- especially for children who have difficulty reading as it will definitely spark their interest.
on December 2, 2013
My 9 year old son found this funny and interesting. I found it far more palatable than a Diary of a Wimpy Kid book.

Some of it is good fun like how to survive a Zombie Attack, others are good primers on boy scout type stuff like trip planning.

The book has a --I can handle anything with a little ingenuity--but not too much thinking--attitude. Adapt and overcome. This is a good attitude in this book--victor not a victim approach. This would be a good book to send with your son when he gets on a bus or plane for summer camp. He'll soon see there's a little humor and a little wisdom in dear old Dad's ways.