5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven On Earth
When my Boz Scaggs Greatest Hits Live DVD arrived from Amazon, it was Heaven on Earth for me. I now have Boz in my home in video anytime I want.

Published on August 7, 2004 by Huge Boz Fan

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
Both CDs did not play. Returned both
Published 4 months ago by Linda Fletcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven On Earth, August 7, 2004
Huge Boz Fan (Tampa, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live (DVD)

The performance and the audio and video quality are superb. The use of HD cameras clearly shows. Having both Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 audio on the DVD is fantastic. I wish every DVD would do that. The DTS is clearly the winner. DTS puts you front row center with a presence that Dolby can't match.

This DVD is best experienced on a large-screen HDTV with DTS 5.1 audio. It's as close to being at a live Boz performance as you can get. Nothing can beat a live Boz performance, but the DVD is clearly the next best thing. However, whatever your TV and audio setup, you've got to have this DVD in your music video collection.

Boz just gets better with age, and seeing and hearing his greatest hits as he performs them "live" is like hearing them for the first time. It would be impossible for me to pick one song on the DVD as my favorite. They're all great.

Boz' voice is haunting, but it's not just his voice that makes him a unique jewel. His songs are original and magnificent in their lyrics and musicality. In today's world of sound-alike, interchangeable performers, there's no one else like Boz Scaggs.

5.0 out of 5 stars BOZ is the BOSS!, December 14, 2004
bob (kansas city, missouri USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live (DVD)
like many artists that i listen to day after day on the radio and i cannot always place their names boz scaggs was one of those that i'm glad i remembered and bought this dvd. not only was this dvd done in hi defintion and 5.1 sound to give it a really live feeling, all the other players and back up singers were fantastic in on this dvd. i usually judge a music dvd by the standards set by the cd and i have to say that the sound quality is even better on the dvd than the cd.every one of the songs on this dvd collection were hits and most were written by boz scaggs and where they weren't he gave credit where it was due.

i can highly recomend this dvd to anyone who likes boz scaggs and as an intro to anyone like myself that likes him but didn't always put his name to a piece of music.

this dvd is worth every penny in my opinion!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rhapsody in San Francisco, October 7, 2004
This review is from: Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live (DVD)
I was fortunate enough to be in the front row of this show. As incredible as the experience was, you could never get closer to Boz and this incredible assemblage of musicians, or hear such clarity of sound, than through this DVD. The way it is recorded here, subject to close scrutiny and roaming presence offered by the cameras, gives me a whole renewed appreciation for an artist and performer that I have followed for his entire career. It also proves that after 40 years of performing, Boz's voice and guitar work are in fine form. In fact, it exhibits a maturity and professional approach, complimented by the opulent yet intimate setting of the venerable Great American Music Hall and consummate backing band, that boosts the performance into a realm all its own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have, August 8, 2004
This review is from: Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live (DVD)
GREATEST HITS LIVE is a "Must Have" DVD for your collection. This disk includes something for everyone, with Boz including songs from many points along the way during his long and incredible career. Of course, Greatest Hits includes songs from his Silk Degrees heyday, like "Lowdown", "Georgia" and "Lido Shuffle"; but also songs that will appeal to the Boz afficionado, as well; like "Slow Dancer", "Runnin' Blue", "I Just Go", and "Ask Me 'Bout Nothin' But The Blues."
The production values on this DVD are unparalleled. This special night with Boz was captured in High Definition, and with incredibly high quality DTS 5.1 Multi-Channel audio. You will literally feel that you were there in San Francisco, seated at the Great American Music Hall for this auspicious event.
Do yourself a favor, add this DVD to your collection, now. You will not be disappointed. You will find yourself experiencing this concert again and again. The performance opens with strength and gets better and better as it goes. The beautiful backup singers will amaze you on "Look What You've Done To Me", "Miss Sun" and "Harbor Lights". And of course, Boz and his ensemble rip up encore favorites like "Runnin' Blue" (where the players improvise in turn) and "Loan Me A Dime".
Who knows? The finale, with the ethereal ballad "We're All Alone" may just have you dancing the night away in your living room or Home Theater, as it did us. This is a timeless DVD that will never grow old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Spectacular, June 3, 2006
This review is from: Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live (DVD)
Boz Scaggs would likely be pleased if he read all the glowing reviews of Boz Scaggs-Greatest Hits Live. Unamimity in praise is not something one usually sees when reading reviews of something so frequently reviewed as this DVD. I feel compelled to point out that of all the books/CDs/DVDs I've reviewed to this date that have generated many other reviews, that this is the first time that reviews have been not only all positive for whatever reason, but all five star plus! Mr Scaggs, take a bow!

I own most of Boz Scaggs work in one form or another but I never gave a DVD a thought until I stumbled upon samples of this work featured on the CD/DVD set Fade Into Light. I liked what I saw and heard there and so ordered this without hesitation.

I won't go over the technical aspects or the names of all the musicians, other reviewers have already done that. What I will say is that on first viewing I was floored! Greatest Hits Live is simply spectacular.

Unlike some of the reviewers who kind of leave the impression that they think Scaggs' career began with Top 40 radio hits (i.e. Lowdown), I think that his best work both preceded and followed his radio-friendly or "disco" period. Most of the songs here are from that period, but most of the best of the DVD is from the periods I mentioned. Not many remember that Scaggs got AM radio play on a couple of songs from Moments and a couple of others before Lowdown lifted him from a cult figure to an international star.

If you are one of those who dislike Scaggs' period of mass popularity, put those feelings aside and give this DVD a chance. Scaggs proves himself not only to be one of the coolest, most urbane and sophisticated balladeers in the business, but also a master of blue-eyed soul and a wicked guitarist in the bargain. And his entire band is first-rate.

My favorites here include: a dazzling rendition of Lowdown that opens the concert and sets a high standard for musicianship here; the late period horn-driven blues of It All Went Down The Drain; the haunting romance of Harbor Lights; the plaintive Ask Me 'Bout Nothin' But the Blues; the rousing Georgia; and We're All Alone, the stellar romantic ballad that closes the show. But the best is saved for last and should blow you away the way it did the audience.

Lido Shuffle seemed to energize an already rapturous crowd and set the stage for the two best songs of the set in which Scaggs and his band cut loose and showed what they are really capable of. I own a lot of excellent concert DVDs, but I can't think of a point on any of them where I am glued to the screen in awe at the musicianship as I am when I am watching and listening to Runnin' Blues and Loan Me A Dime. The keyboard wizardry on both songs is a wonder to behold and the guitar on Loan Me A Dime has you forgetting all about Duane Allman for the moment. Those two songs alone are worth the price of the DVD.

Don't miss the extras either. I really enjoy the second, jazzier version of Harbor Lights as much as the one in the concert.

Obviously, this review is a strong recommendation. So get your own copy as soon as possible. If you are even a lukewarm Boz Scaggs fan, this DVD will make you listen to and appreciate him in a new way. It sure did the trick for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Boz Scaggs at his most sublime., August 25, 2004
Henry J. Messier "skimess" (Cranston, RI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live (DVD)
I've followed Boz Scaggs since his early days with the Steve Miller Band through his solo career starting with his first solo release on Atlantic featuring Duane Allman and the Muscle Shoales studio musicians as well as all the releases on Columbia and Virgin.

This dvd is a career retrospective, so to speak, and from the opening notes and the tight interplay between his drummer and bass player respectively on "Lowdown", one can tell that this is only the beginning of a stellar set.

Boz still has the finest voice, in my opinion, in all of blue-eyed souldom and while he's changed the feel and interpretation of some songs ( and in the case of "We're All Alone" lowered the key an octave) they're still as fresh as the first time they were recorded.

"Slow Dancer", "Harbor Lights", "Look What You've Done To Me" and "We're All Alone" showcase Boz's ability to croon and swoon with the best of them. However for my money the two most outstanding tracks are "Ask Me 'Bout Nothin' But The Blues" and the legendary "Loan Me A Dime" featuring a fantastic guitar interplay between Boz and Drew Zingg. The remaining musicians, Jim Cox and Michael Bluestein on keyboards, Matt Bissonette-bass, John Ferraro-drums, Rich Armstrong-trumpet and percussion, Charles McNeal-saxophones and flute and Ms. Mone't and Barbara Wilson-backing vocals turn in first rate performances throughout.

Topping everything off is the fact that the show is shot in high definition video and audio with the mix in stereo as well as 5.1 surround showcasing Boz in the absolute best possible light. I would wholeheartedly urge any fan to rush out and buy this dvd as well as the 2-cd audio set NOW !!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, great performance, great setting, great DVD, August 15, 2006
This review is from: Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live (DVD)
There's a reason everybody is giving this DVD 5 stars: It's almost perfect. One of the most amazing things about this performance is how incredible Boz Scaggs still sounds. The man has lost nothing in his vocal range. And I'm not an irrational fan that would ignore such a thing. He really sounds perfect.

And how about that tight band? These guys sound like they just came from a Steely Dan studio session. (And I mean that in a good way) But everything still sounds lively and fresh. There's great variety, too. You get the Philly-soul inspired "Lowdown," the smooth jazz of "Harbor Lights," the Memphis Blues/B.B. King inspired "Runnin' Blue," and the beautiful ballads "Look What You've Done To Me" and "We're All Alone."

The Great American Music Hall is a beautiful venue and a perfect place to capture this great performance.

If I could change anything I would expand the DVD to include more of his recent songs. Boz Scaggs is EXTREMELY underrated. There's so much more to his career than "Lowdown" and "Lido Shuffle." (As great as those songs are) If you haven't heard the albums Some Change, Come on Home, or Dig, I highly reccommend you check those out as well. All three are right up there with Silk Degrees - even better in some places.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch Concert DVD by a top notch artist, August 7, 2004
This review is from: Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live (DVD)
I preordered and anxiously awaited this concert DVD. It proudly stands as my favorite concert DVD in my fairly substantial concert collection.

This DVD stands out for its superb audio and video quality. On my 100 inch projector screen, it is the most awesome picture. Couple that with the DTS sound that brings out background singers and saxaphone interludes in the rear speakers, one feels like they are sitting center stage.

Boz's unique tenor voice simply drives this DVD to the top of my list of favorite concert DVDs. His is one voice that has aged with grace, and is simply beautiful.

Highlights include: Harbor Lights version that is smoother (believe it or not) than the studio version; An incredibly tight band with solo vurtuosos on Runnin' Blues; Crystal clear and sharp back up singers, particularly on Miss Sun.

This is a most excellent Live Concert DVD! A true must for any collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boz Scaggs: Live At Last!, August 21, 2004
Michael King "Mike" (Taunton, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live (DVD)
The Great American Music Hall is the perfect setting for this intimate concert. Boz Scaggs and his band are in top form, starting the show off with his classic song "Lowdown." Boz's voice and guitar playing are perfect for the blues, especially on "It All Went Down The Drain" and "Ask Me 'Bout Nothin' But The Blues." Boz really shines on the ballads "Harbor Lights" and "Miss Sun." He also gets the audience up on its feet and dancing with his rocking versions of "Breakdown Dead Ahead" and "Lido Shuffle." After the encore, Boz and his band really let loose with extended jams on "Runnin' Blue" and "Loan Me A Dime." For content, as well as visual and sound quality, this is one of the best concert DVDs of all time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, August 4, 2004
This review is from: Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live (DVD)
Boz hasn't lost a step! If you didn't know better you'd swear you were listening to a recording from the 70's. Production values are very high on this one. Visually and sonically a masterpiece!!

Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live
Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live by Lawrence Jordan (DVD - 2004)
$19.98 $16.12