Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

94%

This was the fourth album that George recorded with a star-studded line-up of guests - the others were My very special guests, Ladies choice and Friends in high places. On this occasion, George's guests were a mix of contemporary nineties country stars and oldies, and all the songs were old country hits for George - so fans of George's earlier music will not find any new songs here.
Marty Stuart sets the standard with the opening track, a brilliant duet version of One woman man. Alan Jackson does equally well on A good year for the roses, which provided Elvis Costello with a British top ten hit after he covered it in 1981. Most of the singers here have impeccable country credentials, but Keith Richards and Mark Knopfler also put in appearances. Mark Chesnutt rounds of a superb album In between, Tammy re-creates one of her earlier hits with George via a re-recording of Golden ring, while Ricky Skaggs (Why baby why), Vince Gill (Love bug) and Travis Tritt (Race is on) are all ideally suited to the songs on which they duet. Trisha Yearwood sings Bartender blues superbly with help from George, but my favorite track here features Trisha (again) with Emmylou and Dolly supporting George on Where grass won't grow.
This is an excellent collection of George's old hits, re-recorded as duets. It may not be an essential album, but is a worthy addition to any collection of country music.
on August 21, 2000
I Love this classic album, ever since it's release in 1994 it's been of of my favorite cd's. I really dig the duet of George Jones & Keith Richards. First you hear the worn out voice of the Rolling Stones guitarist, then you hear why George Jones is the best country singer of all time, what a soulful beautiful voice!! Listening to Jones'duet with Vince Gill, Richards, Dire Straits, Dolly Parton, Alan Jackson, Tammy Wynette and others, you see why George Jones is still looked up as the VOICE of country music, he seems to get better with age, just like vintage wine. No new songs where recorded for this album, just classics from the Possum catalog. Only thing missing is a duet of Jones and Garth Brooks, I would have loved to hear these 2 greats singing "He Stopped Loving her Today", maybe it will be on the second volume of "The Bradley Barn Sessions". I recommend this cd highly, to the young fans and the old fans of George Jones, a true icon of country music!
on June 29, 1999
I love this album!!! The best cut on it is George's duet with Keith Richards. It's so unusual that it's wonderful. It's a must for rock and country fans alike.
on May 2, 2004
Having spent more than 80% of my life playing, performing (posturing!) Rock and Roll, I was WAY curious to hear how my favorite rock and roll musician, Mr. Keef, would sound with Country's Finest, George Jones. Believe it or not, it's a great duet, and not at ALL forced (as certainly would have been the case if Michael Phillip had attempted!) But especially including the gem that is "Say It's Not You," the CD is a perfect introduction for the neophyte listener to the finest male voice in Country Music, George Jones. Sure, you've heard the songs before, but you probably didn't know "who." That's a situation very pleasantly rectified by "The Bradley Barn Sessions." Indeed, most of Country Music's finest pay their tributes here to George Jones, Marty Stuart, Alan Jackson, Ricky Skaggs, Vince Gill, Travis Tritt, Mark Chesnutt, and , for the Ladies, Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton, Trisha Yearwood, and George's "Ex," Tammy Wynette. In light of Ms. Wynette's passing that occurred not so shortly after this cd, it is kind of sadly ironic to hear them perform "Golden Ring"; indeed, as producer Brian Ahern said in the liner notes, "...<they> seemed to step from a very public past of turmoil...into the sunshine of music: Love Gone Good." I won't be obsequious and mention Keef again, but another rocker, Mark Knophler <Dire Straits> does a version of of "White Lightnin'," and it's half the fun to listen to him and George cracking up every time George does the belch the song refers to. But, for my money, my homeboy, Travis Tritt puts in the finest performance on the cd with George doing "The Race Is On." It's a great CD folks, and once it becomes available again, pick up on it QUICK - it's that good! Oh, and for that..."other reviewer" that bemoaned the fact that the Anti-Hank, Garthie B. doen't make an appearence here - when you have George Jones performing like he does here, you don't need some pretender-to-the-throne whining. Sorry. George Jones' friends are NOT from "low places" like GB's are.
I bought this because I am a Keith Richards fan and although I detest slick contemporary country music, I have much respect for George, Willie and their ilk. Say It's Not You is great, I imagine George did not know what to expect when Keith came calling but they ended up with a very pretty ballad in the "well-worn" voice style. This collaboration between Keef and Possum is real cry-in-your-beer honky tonk stuff.

That said, I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed the whole album, I especially love Good Year for the Roses, the George standard which I know and love thanks to Elvis Costello but the version here is terrific. I just wish somebody had thought to call in Bob Weir for The Race Is On, which the Grateful Dead played the heck out of for years and years.
on July 22, 2000
I have loved this album since it was released. Especially two tracks - "Say It's Not You" with Keith Richards who chose this rare jem, and "Where Grass Won't Grow" with Emmylou, Dolly & Trisha Yearwood. Emmylou & Dolly together on this one will keep you repeating this track over and over - then add George! I haven't heard Doly sing with this much conviction in her voice in years.
on April 18, 2015
Not a weak track on this album. If you're a fan, this one's a must. Only one song from this hit the airwaves, Good Year for the Roses, and that sold me and was the reason I bought this album. Soooooo much more good stuff. Where Grass won't Grow is a tear jerker, I dare u not to well up. Emmylou, Dolly, and Trisha truly sound like angels singing.
on July 22, 2000
on December 3, 2009
I never gave George's music a chance until recently. I really enjoyed this CD from start to finish. Great songs made even better with the collaboration of singers chosen. Glad I gave it a chance - it is now one of my most played CD's.
on September 14, 2013
Bought this for my mother-in-law, on a whim. No occasion, just knew she was a fan. She loves it and is wearing out her home CD player. Great selection of his best, she says; I'm not a C.M. fan . . .