5.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat it for the price
I have been playing the cello for over 10 years. After having some bow problems, I was looking for a fairly cheap bow to get me by until I could repair my favorite purnambuco bow again or affort to replace it. Costing about as much as most luthier's charge for a rehair, this is a great deal.

So far this bow has worked well for me. I play an Otto Ernest Fischer...
Published on September 1, 2012 by John W

The hair would not tighten to the correct tension!!!! I got it and it looked very nice, unfortunately it's rather difficult to play when you can't tighten the bow hair to the necessary tension!
Published 20 months ago by the classics

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat it for the price, September 1, 2012
This review is from: Braided Carbon Fiber Cello Bow 4/4, Ebony Frog, Natural Horse Hair (Electronics)

So far this bow has worked well for me. I play an Otto Ernest Fischer "Artist" cello, and it pulls a fairly good tone from it, not bold, but solid and responsive. The biggest surprise of this bow is the spiccatto, this is the one aspect where this $60 bow surpasses most $600-$800 bows I had tried while looking for a new bow. The stoke seems to almost come naturally with this bow, easing some technical issues with the Haydn C and several Popper pieces.

The bow does have downsides, however, because while funtionally it is very nice, the craftsmanship has some reservations. Although the tension of the stick and hair are great and the tightening and loosening of the bow comes easy, the screw is not flush with the stick thus leaving a sixteenth of an inch gap between. The slide on the frog isn't exactly flush, and neither is the inlay on the end of the screw. The tip's white facing doesn't have an exact fit on the carbonfiber tip, and it looks a little bumpy where the two join.

BOTTOM LINE:
If you can put up with some minor cosmetic imperfections, it is a very decent bow and well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Student Bow, August 7, 2012
My daughter has been playing cello for four years. Until recently, she used a cheap wooden bow. It needs to be re-haired, but when I took it to a gentleman who does that, he said "Don't bother. Put the money towards a better bow." As a result, I started looking into various bows. The best, of course, are multi-thousand dollar custom made pernambuco bows, but one of those was not in the budget. Wooden bows less than $200 didn't get very good reviews. The quality of the wood isn't very good, and the wood itself is quite variable. That doesn't lend itself well to being mass produced. Carbon fiber bows in that price range, though, have been getting some good reviews. Plus they don't use up rare wood, and they should be very resistant to warp. Moreover, they are manufactured in a way that should produce a very consistent product. In any case, that was the theory. I decided on this bow, not only due to price but because it was sold by Amazon. I knew that if we didn't like it that it'd be easy to return. We also like the look of the "braided" carbon fiber.

The bow arrived quickly and was very well packed. The overall quality of the bow is impressive, my daughter didn't have any problems adjusting to the new bow, and the tone she can get is better than what she could get with her old bow. Yesterday she had a lesson with her cello teacher, Nancy. Nancy is an outstanding teacher and professional cellist, and she doesn't hold back on expressing her opinions. To be honest, we were expecting to receive some negative remarks. (Nancy has a super expensive custom bow.) To our surprise, she really liked it. No, it's not better than her bow, but it's a terrific student bow., and she asked where she could buy one.

In conclusion it's an excellent bow, not just for a beginner but for someone with a number of years of private lessons. It's an amazing value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the student, December 13, 2012
Vickie B (Southern California) - See all my reviews
My son has been playing cello for 4 years and was in need of a new bow. His cello teacher from school recommended a carbon fiber bow and this one is great. My son likes the lighter feel and even his tutor was impressed by the improved tone. I was swayed by the other reviews and have been very satisfied with this purchase. It ships quickly too!

1.0 out of 5 stars It might have been a nice bow if you could actually tighten the bow hair!, April 2, 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Hair slipped out, frog looked damaged, March 20, 2013
I started tightening it and the hair slipped out... I hope it's one in a bunch because the rest looks fine...

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't know much about bow, but.., February 18, 2013
Margot (twin cities) - See all my reviews
my daughter loves it. She has been playing the cello for 8 years and she told me she can feel a big difference in her performing with this bow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bow!!!, February 16, 2013
Bought an electric cello very cheap here on amazon ($300) and there were a few issues with it that I fixed. I took the instrument to a violin shop were they adjusted the bridge and the nut. I replaced the horrible strings it came with, with some helicores. I replaced the finetuners that were buzzing. Finally I replaced the dreadful bow it came with. This carbon fiber bow feels and looks 10 times better! I placed a cellophant on it to help my grip. Couldn't be happier with this bow! It's a great deal!

1.0 out of 5 stars Well, there's always gotta be someone to kill the 5 star party..., January 30, 2013
I only had 5 minutes with this bow from the moment it arrived. For the price: nice hardware, the graphite weave look is cool, overall workmanship is good - only one problem - you have to be able to tighten it to the correct tension. At full tight on the nicely polished screw, this bow gets nowhere near proper tension to play properly (the horsehair was actually was still floppy), let alone get a decent note. It's obvious that it's on it's second time round judging from the 2nd layer of scotch tape on it's box. Now it has three layers as it goes back to be sold to the next sucker.

5.0 out of 5 stars great improvement of old wooden bow, July 17, 2013
We purchased a nice upscale 4/4 cello for my grand daughter and really stepped up the sound from her old student cello.
It was a little hard to tune so we added some fine tuners to the existing tailpiece but didn't get any real improvement in performance. We asked one of our local Luthiers what we could do to improve the instrument and he suggested 2 things, get a wittner tailpiece and a carbon fiber bow. Great improvement on both counts. Tried the tailpiece first and found it to be very easy to install and tune. Highly recommend this over the standard tailpiece aor the add on fine tuners. wittner has a very nice high quality product at very reasonable prices. Tried the carbon fiber bow and found that it was easier to play and further improved the sound. Great way to step up the performance of your instruments. Love this bow. wwe have purchase several of these bows and are very pleased with the service from Vio music

1.0 out of 5 stars Bow Hair Slips Making Bow Unusable, June 2, 2013
I have had the same problem as many other of the reviewers. After about 3 months, the bow hair slowly became looser. This results in a bow that can never be brought up to proper tension. The bow is now useless.