Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now DOTD

Format: DVDChange

on May 11, 2013
By training, my background is in neuropsychology and cognitive psychology. I enjoy these programs because they present a modern, fun, and interactive way of communicating information. I use these in many of the courses that I teach at both the undergraduate and graduate level. However, I am noticing a lot more factual errors than from the original miniseries that was narrated by NPH. In the most recent episode on persuasion, Apollo does a demonstration where the host is put in one of 12 boxes, and the audience chooses a number between 3-12 and and the remaining boxes get destroyed and amazingly, the one with the host doesn't. While it's a neat trick, it's a simple number trick. It has nothing to do with influencing an individual's decisions. It's a minor nitpick, but I end up explaining to my students how their depiction is in accurate. Again, not a problem per se as I turn it into a learning moment, but the overall quality of the series is less than that of the original.
0Comment19 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2014
I teach Psychology, and these episodes are fun ways to engage students and supplement the work we are doing. Overall, the content and delivery are good.

However, the first episode of Season 2 began with close up shots of high school cheerleaders' chests (in an otherwise unoffensive and interesting activity about how you focus.) Our kids, especially female students, deal with being objectified enough. It's pretty disappointing that an otherwise intelligent show sinks down to sexist pandering.
55 comments11 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2013
This is a great educational tool for any classroom. I show this to my students if one class section is ahead of another class section. My students like to participate and are actually learning from each episode. I recommend this to all teachers who are looking for a quick, educational tool to add to their curriculum.
on October 28, 2013
Great show and fantastic for my psychology students. It really challenged their way of thinking and how they do things.
on January 27, 2014
I love this program and will continue to buy the new seasons as they become available. I am a college professor and teach marketing so I use some episodes in class because of the application of the games to marketing and advertising.
I would highly recommend this to anyone.
on December 20, 2013
I teach psychology, so I find these shows to be among the best for engaging students. I'd like to see workbooks and supplemental materials for them.

I'd write them, if asked.
on August 14, 2014
Brain Games is the most clever educational program I have ever seen. It makes learning fun because you don't just watch it, you experience it as games that are presented to you during the show. Each episode picks a subject such as "Color" and starts out with a game. You are asked to stare at a red dot on your screen for several second and then you are shown a picture of a beautiful reddish castle surrounded by a blue sky and green trees with a blue river right next to, but the moment that you blink you realize that there it is a black and white picture. Your eyes put the colors in the picture because you stared at the red dot. The program takes off and tells you how your eyes work, shows what part of your brain handles vision, tells you why we see colors and the list goes on. It appeals to young and old alike. Our 6 and 9 year old granddaughters were visiting last week and they watched every episode that I recorded from season 3 at least twice and wanted more so we got season 2, which was equally as good. All the adults were watching right along with them.. What an amazing show. If I could give it 20 stars, I would.
on January 14, 2016
So far I have purchased every season of Brain Games on DVD and they keep getting better! I am a middle school teacher and I show these to my students from time to time. They basically beg me to play them, and I really enjoy them as well. They really make you think and some of the facts really blow all of our minds! I like how when the experts and scientists explain stuff so anyone can understand it, even my 5th graders. Their favorite parts are the illusions and games that they can play along with the DVD. They are a great way to understand the concept and see it in real time. I give Brain Games a HUGE 5 stars!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2014
Even my teenage son has enjoyed this. I play it at work--an optometry office--since it has to do with visual perception. Very fun for patients to watch.
on December 27, 2013
The video defines how the brain works. Very interesting for all age groups. I look forward to watching and learning.