5.0 out of 5 stars Very important book for educators
This book is an excellent introduction and manual for Brain Gym. It not only explains in detail how to do the simple excercises, but gives many scientific explanations for how and why they work.

Published on March 12, 2002 by jumpy1

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor introduction
Published on June 28, 2005 by kabuky

5.0 out of 5 stars Very important book for educators, March 12, 2002
jumpy1 (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brain Gym: Teacher's Edition (Perfect Paperback)

For those who don't know, Brain Gym is a method whereby brain functions are accessed by performing simple physical movements, and it has been found to profoundly improve ADD/ADHD/Dyslexic conditions as well as other learning disabilities. It is a series of exercises (drawn from all areas of movement -- from the calisthenics we did in phys-ed class to the eye exercises of behavioral optometrists, to acu-pressure points) specifically studied and narrowed down after many years of research to those that were found to optimally affect brain functions. Luckily they are all easy and take only minutes (or even seconds) to do, and they get immediate, verifiable results. In my experience they help students and professionals of all ages learn faster, improve memory and coordination, and generally reduce the stress of adjusting to new situations or learning foreign or difficult tasks.
In my own experience, I no longer teach violin without integrating Brain Gym exercises because the students learn so much faster and develop better technique because they are more relaxed, naturally. I have also taught Brain Gym to writers, musicians, actors, doctors, mathematicians, teachers, dancers, investment bankers, producers etc. and the feedback is consistently positive. If you are a teacher and are interested in this kind of thing, classes are recommended, but the next best thing is to have this little book!

4.0 out of 5 stars As thorough as it gets, January 27, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Brain Gym: Teacher's Edition (Perfect Paperback)
This book gives an in-depth review of each of the Brain Gym movements from academic benefits to postural correlates. Each page includes a brief history of how the movement became part of Brain Gym. Each page includes directions on how to do the movement along with variations to try later. I use this book regularly for myself, in the preschool classroom and as a Brain Gym consultant. Every time I open it, I read something "new". It is filled with valuable information and is a great interest grabber into the world of Brain Gym and Educational Kinesiology.
It's thoroughness can be overwhelming for some. And then for others, like myself, it's level of completeness is what makes it such a great book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor introduction, June 28, 2005
kabuky (Washington state) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brain Gym: Teacher's Edition (Perfect Paperback)
I have never practiced Brain Gym. A special ed teacher recommended I buy a copy to use in my own class. So..of course, I bought the Teacher's Edition. The problem - it has VERY poor directions on how to do the original exercises!! It assumes you KNOW the exercises and have a copy of the original "Brain Gym" manual. I don't!! And I have a hard time believing that such a big seller would have such poor directions/illustrations of exactly what to do/what to avoid in the physical activities.

Lots of tips on how to specialize the exercises for different kids but WITHOUT bothering to give one very good directions on how to do the exercises. I am VERY disappointed. There are also LOTS of references to their other books (for you to buy).

5.0 out of 5 stars Brain Gym Works!! - A teacher's point of view, June 15, 2007
This review is from: Brain Gym: Teacher's Edition (Perfect Paperback)
I wish that I would have known about this book years ago. There are numerous exercises that enhance different areas of the body (including the brain of course). Each exercise lists teaching tips, variations, corrlations, the history of....and more. You pick and choose the exercises that best suits your and your students' needs. After you and your students become familiar with the exercises, it doesn't take much class time to get up and do a few (5-10 min.). Really, what's 5-10 minutes a couple times out of the day of students sitting for hours on end? I implemented certain exercises from Brain Gym and Brain Dance (A.G. Gilbert) into my art classroom this past school year and the combination of both was a raging success with my students. Students would stop by eager tell me about how this or that exercise helped them with concentration or calming down in their general classroom before a test or reading time. It also helped that I personally benefitted from the exercises as well. If I forgot to start class with the exercises or end with "hook-ups", my students were right there to remind me. It is true that the book illustrations aren't the best, but it's all about the motion. My students and I loved the concept and benefits of Brain Gym/Brain Dance so much that we made a video power point demonstrating various exercises and the benefits for the other teachers in the school building because the students wanted their homeroom teachers to do it with them. Students really do benefit congnitively and behaviorly and will want you to make copies of some of the exercises so they can do them at home.
My students' favorite Brain Gym exercise = "hook-ups"

5.0 out of 5 stars Brain Gym, March 23, 2006
This review is from: Brain Gym: Teacher's Edition (Perfect Paperback)
I use the activities in this book every day with my special education students. They are having fun and it is helping them with their motor skills and their academic skills. I would recommend it to any teacher.

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems, October 4, 2005
This review is from: Brain Gym: Teacher's Edition (Perfect Paperback)
Needs re-organization, editing, and new graphics. Looks self published by a 3rd grader? Some useful info but not much direction as to how to apply it? As a 'Teachers Edition' it should give detailed info as to how to organize and present the exercises. Graphics are very poor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brain Gym, March 28, 2007
This review is from: Brain Gym: Teacher's Edition (Perfect Paperback)
Hello: I am using a number of exercises in my teaching program which activates and enhanses the cognitive abilities of my children.

I have recently begun to utilize various exercises for myself and notice an increased awareness, visual clarity, energetic vitality and heightened coping ability to 'lifes challenges' which I believe is not a coincidence.

Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars self-help and special education tools, March 12, 2007
This review is from: Brain Gym: Teacher's Edition (Perfect Paperback)
Helpful especially when used with illustrations from Brain Gym for Business Book and with menus in the back of the book for particular learning challenges. I used this method to help with my problem visualizing and studied less time and got better grades. My vision also improved and I do not need to wear glasses for my near-sightedness anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas!, April 10, 2007
Kathy (Bennington, KS, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brain Gym: Teacher's Edition (Perfect Paperback)
This short, but sweet book gives useful ideas for use the day you receive it! The illustrations are simple pencil drawings, but they get the idea across. Anyone with an interest in the link between movement and learning will get something good out of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with Brain Gym results!, June 21, 2011
This review is from: Brain Gym: Teacher's Edition (Perfect Paperback)
I was skeptical. How could a few movement activities that are hardly even exercises improve my grades? My friends and I agreed to do the activities for a month with our teacher as a short experiment. The results were amazing. We all immediately felt better, could concentrate on our assignments and read with accurate comprehension on the first read instead of needing to review passages a second or third time. The movements made things more clear and sharpened our senses. My grades have improved. I recommend the Brain Gym 26 for everyone.

Brain Gym: Teacher's Edition
Brain Gym: Teacher's Edition by Gail E. Dennison (Perfect Paperback - 1989)
$29.95 $26.20