5.0 out of 5 stars Bright, Colorful and Challenging
All the fun of the Brain Quest card game in a colorful page-turning book. I got this one and the third-grade one for my eight-year old this summer. He's been working in it every day. The activities appear to be fun as well as challenging for him.

Published on July 13, 2008 by egghead23

3.0 out of 5 stars OK overview, but some inaccuracies
Published on October 12, 2011 by B. Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright, Colorful and Challenging, July 13, 2008
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook, Grade 2 (Paperback)

The book has sections for Phonics, Spelling and Vocabulary, Language Arts, Reading, Writing, Cursive, Math Skills, Addition and Subtraction, Multiplication and Fractions, Shapes and Measurement, Time and Money, Social Studies, and Science.

Answer Key is in the back, and there are also "extras," like a colorful map of the US, cut-out Q&A game cards and motivational stickers.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK overview, but some inaccuracies, October 12, 2011
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook, Grade 2 (Paperback)
I have found this to be an OK book for my young 2nd grade homeschooled son. It is a good way to touch on a little of each subject and give him practice following directions, etc. However, as he was working on a page about the phases of the moon, we found an inaccuracy. It calls a small crescent moon a gibbous moon. I thought that was wrong, so I looked it up. A gibbous moon is actually the opposite of a crescent moon, so we can see more than half of the moon. So as it's an ok book overall, parents shouldn't trust the book to be accurate always, but check information and answers themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasury of intellectual stimulation, July 31, 2008
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook, Grade 2 (Paperback)
This is one in a series of workbooks, each of which offers an abundance of learning activities, exercises, and games that are presented with superb production values. Appropriate to the given age level, much of the material focuses on basic subjects such natural science, mathematics, history, and social studies while enabling children to strengthen their reading, reasoning, and writing skills. The editors of Brain Quest believe that:

"All kids are smart - though they learn at their own speed

All kids learn best when they're having fun

All kids deserve the chance to reach their potential - given the tools they need, there's no limit how far they can go!"

I agree, while presuming to add that children will learn more and have more fun meanwhile if, when completing various exercises, adults are involved. As a parent of four and a grandparent of ten, I can personally attest to the pleasure an adult will also have. Each volume in the series is a WORK book. Exercises are completed with crayolas or pencils on the page on which it appears. Correct answers are provided. One caveat: Resist the temptation to control the learning process as a child completes an exercise.

This volume, for Grade 2 (ages 7-8), was written by Liane Onish, with Jill Swann serving as consulting editor. It is worth noting that Swann was a 2004 National Teacher of the Year Regional Award Winner. The material consists of carefully organized curriculum-based exercises that help children to gain an understanding of phonics, spelling and vocabulary, language arts, reading, writing, cursive, math skills, addition and subtraction, multiplication and fractions, shapes and measurement, time and money, social studies, and science. Also included are more than 150 stickers, an all-new Brain Quest Mini-Card Deck, and a fold-out "50 States, 50 Flags" poster.

Here is a representative selection of exercises:

Girl with Curls
Write [the missing] "er, " "ir, " or "ur" to complete the words. (Page 28)

Spell Like a Shark!
Spell all the "ar" words [start, march, far, party, park, hard, cart, garden, harm, art, large, and bar] from the Word Box in alphabetical order. (49)

Fun at the Playground!
The words on the balls [below] are all pronouns.
Rewrite each sentence using the pronoun that can take the place of the underlined word(s) in each sentence. (77)

A Fable
Read the story.
Answer the questions for each part of the story. (94-97)

And Then...
Read the beginning of [each of three stories].
Write about what happens next [in the space provided].
Then draw a picture [in the space provided]. (128-130)

H Is for Hannah

Trace the letters. Then write them. [in the space provided].
Trace the sentence. (139)Count by Fours!
Start at 4.
Write the missing numbers on the [Ferris wheel] cars.
[Then] If there were four more cars on the Ferris wheel, what number would be on the last car? [insert number in space indicated] (173)

Hundreds of Gum Balls
Add the numbers using regrouping. (196-197)

American Women
Read about these important American women.
Write their names and birthdays on the time line below. (264-265)

Each of the volumes in this series (pre-K through Grade 4) would be an excellent book for parents, grandparents, and others to purchase and then share with a child at an appropriate stage of her or his development. No doubt there are precocious children who will prefer more challenging material associated with later grades but I think it would be a mistake to rush the learning process. Worse yet, to indicate little interest in it.

Congratulations to the Workman Publishing Company and especially to the editors of Brain Quest. How pleased they must be to know that their materials have already helped to nourish so many young minds and to delight so many young hearts and, fortunately, will continue to do so for the development of other children in months and years to come.

1.0 out of 5 stars very light workbook, May 30, 2012
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook, Grade 2 (Paperback)
my son's first grade teacher said i should reinforce concepts at home over the summer so he'll be ready for 2nd grade. i first purchased the brainquest 1st grade workbook, but realized it's geared towards kids who have finished kindergarten. since that book was much too simple for my son, i bought this book. this book is better, but i still don't like how there are very few problems on each page. for example, one page is 'draw a timeline of your life' with markers for every 10 years starting at 'birth'. another is a 5-line description of mammals (e.g., mammals drink milk, mammals have hair, etc), then directs a child to mark a group of 6 cartoon animals as mammals. i eventually went to a brick and mortar bookstore and realized that the workbooks that followed his curriculum are clearly labelled "aligned to state and national standards". One example isUsing the Standards, Grade 2: Building Grammar & Writing Skills (The 100+ Series) and Math, Grade 2 (Master Skills). i returned this brainquest book and purchased the two workbooks i mentioned.

2.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate, August 26, 2008
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook, Grade 2 (Paperback)
I bought this for my daughter and as I was leafing through it, I discovered a major inaccuracy. In the science section, the phases of the moon are not all defined correctly. For a company whose motto is, "It's fun to be smart", you'd think they'd do a better job of checking their facts. (By the way, a gibbous moon is larger than a quarter moon, not smaller than a crescent moon.) I had to mark them lower because there may be other inaccuracies I have not yet come across. Good reminder to parents and teachers - always check the info before giving it to kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 2nd grade prep., November 26, 2008
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook, Grade 2 (Paperback)
I brought this for my daughter this past Summer so she could stay fresh with all that she learned in first grade. I have used many workbooks with my daughter in the past and I am very pleased with the format of the Brain Quest book. The pages are colorful, and the activities are for the most part fun. Many of the lessons have a "Brain Box" that further explains the exercise or offers a different perspective on approaching the task at hand. The workbook comes with stickers that can be used on as rewards on the pages that are completed well.
There is a writing section in this book that starts the kids off writing about the aliens in a picture. The alien concept is carried through several more exercises in the writing unit and it draws on the ideas your child has come up with based on previous exercises. In one lesson my daughter was asked to make up a meaning for a made up word and then she needed to expand on that answer by answering questions about it.
I particularly liked how this book doesn't just have one math section like many other books do. This book has five: math skills, addition and subtraction, multiplication and fractoins, shapes and measurement, and time and money. I like how there are "Brain Boxes" on many of the math pages that explain the concept that is being presented. I like how their approach is sometimes different from the way that I or my daughter's teachers have presented the material in the past.
There is a section for learning cursive writing. My daughter will not start writing in cursive for another month or two so we haven't used that section yet. Her class also won't tackle multiplication until closer to the end of the school year so we're holding off on that section until later.
We have used all the other sections of the book and I'm very pleased with it. The content is not too simple as is sometimes the case with these types of books. The presentation and the content are all great. It's a book that my daughter is excited to use. I've already brought the 3rd grade book for next Summer and will be buying the pre-K version for my younger child to use next Summer, as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars great workbook, May 21, 2009
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook, Grade 2 (Paperback)
I wanted to keep my little girl learning and growing in her education over the summer break so, I purchased this workbook. I've worked with her consistently since she was pre-k so, she a bit above the curve coming into 1 st grade. The 2nd grade book was challenging but, not too hard for her. We've done a couple pages from each section everyday and she's really liked it.
In addition, I liked that it was a general book touching on a bit of everything. I'm a bit turned off by having to buy a Kumon book for each area (math, writing, ...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great workbook, June 17, 2011
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook, Grade 2 (Paperback)
My daughter just finished kindergarten and wanted a workbook for the summer, since her older sister was working on one. She's a strong reader (Harry Potter level, to give context), but hasn't been pushed much academically. I'd say she's bright, but don't most parents think so of their own kids? Anyway, we bought the 2nd grade workbook and it's a great fit. Challenging, but not so much that she gets frustrated, and if a concept is new, it's easy to pick up. It has a cursive writing section, which she thinks is very cool. To finish the workbook this summer, I told her she'd need to do about 4 pages a day, and I'm pretty certain she's doing more-- she tells me everyday how much she loves her workbook. There are several sections of math, several of language arts, and then one each of science and social studies. Fold out full-color map of the US with capital cities. Good little summer enrichment book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great workbook overall but content is certainly geared towards (US) American students., October 29, 2010
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook, Grade 2 (Paperback)
We are a US family living in Europe and I bought the 1st and 2nd grade workbooks in this series for my 2 children. They are great workbooks as many other reviewers have stated so I dont need to repeat all that everyone has said, but I did want to 'warn' anyone who is maybe from Canada or another English speaking country looking to buy this book that it written for students in the US. They teach about US money and US government (very briefly, one page about who is the boss of your town, state and USA). They list all of the states and you have to fill in all of the capitals. You review the Statue of Liberty, Martin Luther King Jr.,Washington and Lincoln, read about and fill in a time line of 6 American women and 6 American men. These are all great things if you in America and I guess it's just extra knowledge about a foreign country if you dont :) total they only take up about 28 of the 294 pages...I just thought I'd give someone a heads up if they are looking for something more suitable for students outside of the states. (since this is sold on all of the other Amazon sites and not just amazon.com in the US)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for summer, January 19, 2012
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook, Grade 2 (Paperback)
Much to my daughter's dismay, I purchased this for her to work on over the summer months. It covers every subject and had lots of review from what she had just learned in 1st grade and then some. It gave her a nice introduction to what she would be learning in 2nd grade. You could even use this as a supplement while your child is in 2nd grade...especially on the nights/weekends/holiday breaks when they don't have much homework. Nice accomplishment stickers in the back. Easy tear-out pages for on the go. Love the Brain Quest workbooks!

Brain Quest Workbook, Grade 2
Brain Quest Workbook, Grade 2 by Liane Onish (Paperback - July 9, 2008)
$12.95 $7.91