4.0 out of 5 stars Brainiac!
Published on November 5, 2008 by ORP

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many wrong answers
Published on January 6, 2011 by Joseph Colton

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many wrong answers, January 6, 2011
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook: Grade 4 (Paperback)
This book covers not just reading, writing and math, but also science and geography. It is very colorful and fun to look at. But too many wrong answers. Since 4th grade math is a little more complicated than just adding 2 numbers so it's way easier to check kid's work with the answer guide on the back. I was not happy to see too many "no matter how many times my kid or I try to solve, still the answer doesn't match" situation. I even googled some answers and found out that the book was wrong. Also the book should explain what kid suppose to do more for Reading and Writing parts. It make my child confused too often. I personally disliked this workbook.

1.0 out of 5 stars Abysmal proofreading and quality, January 23, 2011
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook: Grade 4 (Paperback)
Given the number of high reviews on this educational atrocity I can only guess that everyone here took one of two tacts rating this book. They either blindly graded their children according to the answer key, in which case they're educationally crippling their children and should be ashamed, or they chose to ignore the errors and focus on the book itself that their children read. In that case they're rewarding an unethical company greedily cashing in on popular brand, and they should be excoriated for making a total disregard for proofreading okay.

The reality is simple: while the book has a good presentation for children and is a good source of problems, it's only useful if you, as a parent or educator, are willing to do all the problems and exercises yourself. You simply *cannot* trust the answer key. The math section alone probably has upwards of a 10% error rate, which guarantees a falsehood on every *page* in the answer key. You'll have more fun with the measuring examples. They provide a paper ruler with invalid lengths. If you make the mistake of allowing your child to measure with an actual ruler, you'll find all the answers in the answer key are wrong by on average 1cm. Absolutely brilliant.

I cannot express in vivid enough terms my loathing for this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brainiac!, November 5, 2008
ORP (apo, ae United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook: Grade 4 (Paperback)
I assign my daughter about 4 pages a day as an addition to her school curriculum. Not only does she love this colorful book, but is awarded stickers for completing chapters. When all the chapters are done, she receives her braniac award. This book is full of confidence building strategies, in addition to easy learning. The brain boxes on each page explains to you in detail how to teach the lesson, if the child can follow directions they will be able to self-teach. Good book for a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creating a solid foundation for new learning opportunities, August 6, 2008
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook: Grade 4 (Paperback)
This is one in a series of workbooks, each of which offers an abundance of learning activities, exercises, and games that are presented with superb production values. Appropriate to the given age level, much of the material focuses on basic subjects such natural science, mathematics, history, and social studies while enabling children to strengthen their reading, reasoning, and writing skills. The editors of Brain Quest believe that:

"All kids are smart - though they learn at their own speed

All kids learn best when they're having fun

All kids deserve the chance to reach their potential - given the tools they need, there's no limit how far they can go!"

I agree, while presuming to add that children will learn more and have more fun meanwhile if, when completing various exercises, adults are involved. As a parent of four and a grandparent of ten, I can personally attest to the pleasure an adult will also have. Each volume in the series is a WORK book. Exercises are completed with crayolas or pencils on the page on which it appears. Correct answers are provided. One caveat: Resist the temptation to control the learning process as a child completes an exercise.

This volume, Grade 4 (ages 9-10), was written by Barbara Gregorich, with Patty McGee serving as consulting editor. It is worth noting that McGee is a past winner of the Milken Foundation National Educator Award. The material consists of organized curriculum-based exercises that help children strengthen their skills in spelling and vocabulary, language arts, reading, writing, math skills, addition and subtraction, multiplication and division, fractions and decimals, geometry and measurement, probability and data, solving word problems, social studies, science...and following directions. Also included are more than 150 stickers, an all-new Brain Quest Mini-Card Deck, and a fold-out "Seven Continents, One World" poster.

All exercises are cleverly designed, with specific directions that are easy to understand, visually appealing. Gregorich and McGee include with most of the exercises a "Brain Box" in which a key term is defined. Here is a representative selection:

"Letter to a Friend"
Read the following letter.
If a word needs an apostrophe, write it in.
If an apostrophe does not belong, cross it out. (Page 35)

"Drafting a Personal Essay"
Using your map on page 111, write a three paragraph draft of your personal essay.
Remember to:
- Use the first person
- Include a topic sentence in each paragraph.
- Use descriptive language, vivid details, and dialogue wherever you can.
- Have a strong conclusion or point that you want to get across. (112)

"Writing a Fairy Tale"
Think of a good idea for a fairy tale.
Plan when and where your story will take place by filling out the box below.
Next, think about your main character and at least one other character. (113#)

"The Facts About Factors"
Fill in the missing factors.
Write all the possible factors for each number [that follows].
Finish [these] math sentences. (174)

"Puppies and Parakeets"
Answer [each of the following] questions using a bar graph. (234)

"Inventions and Creations"
The time line shows inventions between the years 1500 and 2000.
Some of these have to do with the growing or storing of food.
Some have to do with clothing, and some with communication.
Write each invention of creation on the correct card including the year it was invented. (254)

"Go Online"
Research your state in an atlas, an encyclopedia, or on the internet.
Fill in as much information as you can on the lines below. (264)
"The Earth"
Read about our home planet [in the paragraph that follows].
Answer [these] questions. (276-277)

"Science Crossword"
Read each clue below.
Write the answer in the crossword puzzle. (294)

Each of the volumes in this series (pre-K through Grade 4) would be an excellent book for parents, grandparents, and others to purchase and then share with a child at an appropriate stage of her or his development. No doubt there are precocious children who will prefer more challenging material associated with later grades but I think it would be a mistake to rush the process. Worse yet, to indicate little interest in it.

Congratulations to the Workman Publishing Company and especially to the editors of Brain Quest. How pleased they must be to know that their materials have already helped to nourish so many young minds and to delight so many young hearts and, fortunately, will continue to do so for the development of other children in months and years to come

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my soon-to-be 3rd grader., May 12, 2012
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook: Grade 4 (Paperback)
I bought this workbook for my son. He is finishing up the 2nd grade now and I wanted him to work on his skills through the summer. I "searched inside" different grade levels and found the 4th grade book to be more at his level rather than the 3rd. Given, he is an advanced reader and in a "3rd grade intervention" math class, which is basically a 3rd grade level class for second graders. I do think any rising 3rd grader could work out of this book, perhaps with a little help here and there.

We just received these workbooks a few days ago and I can't keep my kids out of them, even though they are supposed to be for the summer. (My daughter is finshing kindergarten and has the 1st grade workbook.) They have been finishing up their school work and diving into these. They are colorful and have enough different activities to keep them interested. I don't think I'll have any trouble getting them to work on these this summer.

I have read about the answer key discrepancies but I don't see it as an issue for us. I have had to check his work all year and it won't kill me to continue this summer.

I highly recommend these books but suggest that you go up a grade year. Otherwise, they are probably just reviewing what they had already learned the previous year. In hindsight, I probably should have gotten my daughter the 2nd grade workbook instead, but that is another review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Going back for another year!, September 23, 2011
S. Buhr "Energy MD" (Huntington Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook: Grade 4 (Paperback)
I bought the second grade level book last year. My son is on the Autism Spectrum and getting him to do homework was like two hours a night of pulling teeth. So finally, I got the teachers to agree that the goal was learning, not how it was being taught. I found the Brain Quest Workbook at Target for about $13.

The teacher's main concern was that it was following the curriculum that they set. And IT DID!! So if Michael didn't want to do their homework, we could substitute 2 pages a day of his homework.

We went from doing the same old monotonous homework on the same schedule every day, do getting 8+ pages of homework each week turned in. In addition to the work he was learning in school, he was also learning and completing additional pages on brightly colored and fun pages teaching him Geography, Science, Maps, in addition to the (not same old/same old!) reading comp, spelling, learning money, etc..

YAY! and THANK YOU!

Joyfully,

Michael's Mommy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, October 24, 2013
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook: Grade 4 (Paperback)
Love these books for introducing topics and ideas! They could stand to be twice as thick with information and worksheets though. My homeschool daughter breezes through these activities really quickly, so it's not something we can use to study from. And the real learning comes when we add on with other things. But the layout is fun and interesting and keeps my kid interested and moving along without getting bored.

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer exercise...Nice one, October 7, 2013
K K (Trenton, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook: Grade 4 (Paperback)
keeps kids busy on hot summer days. very pleased.
Although i'd think the book can reduce on font size and give more content.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love Brain Quest!, June 9, 2013
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook: Grade 4 (Paperback)
My son loves his Brain Quest Workbook. The short lessons, brightly colored pages, and friendly looking characters keep his attention long enough for him to learn. My 11 year old son has Autism. I started home schooling him two years ago. He's gone from first grade level to fourth grade level since then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Brain Teasers - Dad from Durham, NC, November 5, 2011
This review is from: Brain Quest Workbook: Grade 4 (Paperback)
I bought these for my 6 yr & 9 yr old daughters to use in between school work or when we are in the car as opposed to them watching DVD. I have to tell you, it really get them and the rest of the family into quizzing each other and just having fun learning. These books really have a little bit of everything in them and I think they are great in encouraging education and stimulating their minds.

Brain Quest Workbook: Grade 4
Brain Quest Workbook: Grade 4 by Barbara Gregorich (Paperback - July 9, 2008)
$12.95 $7.67