5.0 out of 5 stars FM Static [My Brain Says Stop, But My Heart Says Go!]
Published on April 8, 2011 by Kevin Davis

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent attempt
This album from FM Static is okay. I like about three tracks altogether. So far, they have yet to trump their debut.
Published 19 months ago by ChoperPilot

5.0 out of 5 stars FM Static [My Brain Says Stop, But My Heart Says Go!], April 8, 2011
This review is from: My Brain Says Stop, But My Heart Says Go (MP3 Music)
What's the difference between FM Static and Thousand Foot Krutch? Singer-songwriter Trevor McNevan and drummer Steve Augustine lead both bands, but the former is a side project to the latter. More than anything, having two names makes it easier to take some fun creative chances. This album is totally creative and so incredibly catchy, it reminds me of some of the best punk rock impact albums of the past 10 years, including Weezer's Green Album, Relient K's Forget And Not Slow Down and All That We Needed by Plain White T's.

My Brain Says Stop, But My Heart Says Go! kicks off with the ultra-catchy title track and in true FM Static fashion, I can't get their infectious melodies out of my head which is a good thing. Just like opening songs on Dear Diary, "Boy Moves To Town With An Optimistic Outlook" and "The Unavoidable Battle of Feeling on the Outside," I play the first two songs over and over, especially the next song, "F.M.S.T.A.T.I.C." which has a cheerleader led spelling of the band's name and even more hooky and spiritually based lyrics, "Just let go, If you wanna let go, Stop holdin' on, To what you used to be, `Cause yesterday's are no use to me." This album isn't quite as faith-based sounding as the last album, but knowing the past work of Trevor McNevan really helps listeners interpret his optimistic worldview based on his saving faith in Jesus. I also hear Weezer's punk-rock musical influence on the song, "(Hey) I Want It," which is another fun "party" song.

The best examples of FM Static's faith-based lyrics are in my two favorite songs on the album, "Lost In You" and "Last Train Home." I really love the second verse of "Lost In You," where Trevor passionately sings to God, "You light up my sky, Just like a firefly, Your words are more than just, A passing breath, I want to feel alive, I need You in my life, You're like a photograph, Never changing." Musically the song is super catchy similar to "Shattered" by O.A.R. but with a faith-based perspective on life. The themes get a little deeper with the next set of songs, with "Cinnamon & Lipstick" including the reflecting on past and future with the challenge in the bridge, "We can still change the world, If we believe." That theme continues with "Black Tattoo," which has some of the deepest and most relevant lyrics especially in the chorus, "I don't wanna care, About what everyone says, I don't wanna live inside, A past that's dead, I wanna touch down, Where miracles live, And show it like a black tattoo." Similar to "Take Me As I Am" from Dear Diary, my favorite song on this album is first single "Last Train Home." A real strength of FM Static's songs for me are the strong messages imbedded in "fun" songs. A great example is the challenge to all believers in the bridge of "Last Train Home," "I stopped lyin' when I believed myself, `Cause I'd stop tryin' if there was no way out, Faith is just the other end of doubt, Your truth is gonna make it alright."

CLOSING THOUGHTS
This new FM Static album, My Brain Says Stop, But My Heart Says Go! picks ups where Dear Diary left off and takes it up a notch in my opinion. Although this is a surefire hit for the younger audience, I highly recommend FM Static for all fans of the punk rock genre, like myself. Trevor's songwriting and singing is top notch and for me, this is my new Pinkerton by Weezer, which was the soundtrack album of my twenties when I wasn't saved. I love that Christian themed punk rock can sound this amazing!

4.0 out of 5 stars good not great, October 5, 2013
N. S. (Philadelphia PA USA) - See all my reviews
All in all I like this album.I have to be in the right mood for it.I like most of what Trevor Mcnevon does musically.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Tunes, January 19, 2013
This review is from: My Brain Says Stop, But My Heart Says Go (MP3 Music)
I had never heard of this group before and the songs are catchy. I enjoy listening to all the songs. And is that a Ford Maverick on the cover?

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent attempt, December 2, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, November 17, 2012
This is an amazing band and an awesome cd. I love it! Money well spent. Im very happy with this. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Album, May 24, 2012
Great album by a great band. Great songs that will replay in your head all day. Leaves you craving more FM Static!

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost 8 months later and..., April 29, 2012
This review is from: My Brain Says Stop, But My Heart Says Go (MP3 Music)
I'm still listening to this album and loving it! It is so catchy. So glad I picked this album up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the music, December 19, 2011
This cd is awesome the words and the rhythm are awesome. I got it as a gift for my husband but I think I will take it back for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album!!!, April 11, 2011
This review is from: My Brain Says Stop, But My Heart Says Go (MP3 Music)
I would definitely recommend this cd to everyone. The music is amazing and we pick up something different each time we listen and the lyrics are great. We can't wait to go on another Route 66 trip with this cd blaring with our windows down. Thanks Trevor and Steve for yet another great cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars FM Static doesn't fail to deliver, April 5, 2011
This is my favorite FM Static album. Everything is perfect about it, from the catchy music and choruses to the deceptively deep and heartfelt lyrics fans of FM Static and Thousand Foot Krutch have come to expect from Trevor and his bands. Highly recommended!

Rate and Discover Movies