4.0 out of 5 stars Such a fun read!
I thoroughly enjoyed walking into the creative mind of Kaleb Nation when I flipped open Bran Hambric: The Specter Key. The world he created is colorful and rich in detail. The action was ongoing throughout the book and made me wonder what was going to happen next.

Published on October 4, 2010 by KarenOf4

3.0 out of 5 stars As If: The Sequel
While reading the first book, "The Farfield Curse," I noticed author Kaleb Nation's overuse of the words "as if." It drove me crazy and I'd hoped he wouldn't do it again for the sequel. My prayers went unanswered. As soon as I read the first "as if," my left eye started twitching. By the end of the book, which is surprisingly short, I was all messed up.

Now...
Published on October 13, 2010 by Jerry Hart

4.0 out of 5 stars Such a fun read!, October 4, 2010
This review is from: Bran Hambric: The Specter Key (Paperback)

The story begins where Bran Hambric: The Farfield Curse leaves off and jumps in with both feet. Elspeth & Joris share their evil plans by introducing the next challenge Bran will have to endure.

Kaleb Nation created interesting new characters that tugged at my heartstrings. While reading, I wanted to hug Gary, smack Thomas and tip Oswald. Gary has a deep secret Bran has to seek out and discover. Thomas is hard and unfeeling but the conversations with Bran are entertaining. Oswald, is just a cool character with a kind heart and good customer service.

The conclusion had closure and didn't leave me hanging but left subtle hints of what we might see in the next book.

Bran Hambric: The Specter Key is a delightful read that is entertaining, exciting and clean for kids. I know my children will LOVE this book because of the magic, action and humor. I recommend it to all families who enjoy reading together.

3.0 out of 5 stars As If: The Sequel, October 13, 2010
This review is from: Bran Hambric: The Specter Key (Paperback)

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I can say the book was fun to read and definitely better than the first. I still have trouble believing Kaleb hadn't read any of the Harry Potter books considering it seems like he's totally ripping them off. The book read so much like "Order of the Phoenix" that it was ridiculous. Plus, why does everybody talk like they're British? I think Bran even uses the word "bloody" as a curse word.

Also, Kaleb overdescribes things like a son of a gun. A lot of his sentences are so loaded, that by the end of them, I forgot what he was even talking about. Here's hoping he'll tighten up his prose for his next book. And please, no more "as if"! Pretty please!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not better than The Farfield Curse, not worse either., December 12, 2010
This review is from: Bran Hambric: The Specter Key (Paperback)
I'm sorry, but I just don't know where to begin. This "review" is actually just a lot of information about the book strewn around. Here goes:

-- It's never made clear just how the Specters were able to haunt Bran. I mean, maybe they were tied to the box or the Specter Key, but I can't know that for sure. I was surprised as to how nonexistent they were. They give Bran a message at the beginning, and then they aren't seen again until the very end. At that point, they don't really do anything. This is really disappointing, as descriptions of the book make it sound like it was all about the Specters.

-- Bran and Adi are boring characters. I don't like Astara. She doesn't have much to do in this book, and she comes off as nothing but a potential love interest for Bran. To my dismay, Polland is barely in The Specter Key at all.

-- Bran meets someone named Thomas, a really interesting character who's on no one's side but his own. I enjoyed the interaction between the two of them.

-- Elspeth and Joris are as lackluster as they ever were. Especially Joris, what did he get to do in this book again? I think I miss Baslyn...

-- I absolutely loved the character Nim, but later after we meet her, she's awfully underused.

-- The term "as if" is (thankfully) not overused as it was in The Farfield Curse.

-- A lot of the detail and prose is really hard to understand. Some descriptions spend painstaking words explaining trivialities while completely missing something I would actually want to know. There were times where I had to go back and read entire passages.

-- I still like Kaleb Nation's world. We get to see new areas outside of Dunce, and one of the coolest parts was with Oswald and his cab.

-- At one point, a character gets incapacitated under magic circumstances in Dunce. Bran and Adi are there with them, but rather than do anything, they let them get taken away to a Dunce hospital. The character is later proclaimed dead, and Bran is left to feel angst. But...it's obvious that they were not dead, but rather, something magical happened to them that Dunce could never understand. Why wouldn't Bran and Adi take such a matter that only they could understand into their own hands? I couldn't believe any of the grief Bran felt over this, because I knew the character wasn't deceased at all. It made the middle part of the book drag.

-- I didn't learn anything new about Bran's world. It's hard to get a sense of scope. For example, what's the geography like? I mean, there are continents, right? If so, how many? What are they called? What oceans and seas are there? Where is Dunce located? Also, a group called "the Ancients" is constantly mentioned and alluded to, but the reader never finds out what they are. I don't see any point in holding off such information. Should I really have to wait for future books in order to find out?

-- Kaleb Nation sometimes breaks the show-don't-tell rule. An example would be parts where Kaleb writes "Hey!" Bran protested (or something similar to that). Rather than show us that Bran wasn't using the word passively, Kaleb tells us that he's in protest to whatever's happening. Kaleb also often tells Bran's emotions instead of showing why he would be feeling them.

-- The dialogue is usually pretty good, especially between Bran and the Wilomases or Bran and Thomas. Other times though, not so much. It can be very laughable, check out this bit of the story:

' "Perhaps that was not our fate," Bran said. It was all he could say. Gary did not move.

"What is fate?" Gary asked. "How can one believe in fate when it has betrayed me so much?"

"Because it means that it has all happened for a reason," Bran said.

"That is foolish."

"And it's all we have," Bran replied. "Maybe it was fate that I would lose her and all these terrible things would happen. Maybe it was fate that Astara would be gone and I would come here to meet you. Maybe this is simply one tiny piece in a grand fate that all of us are set to fulfill -- and even though my mother's choice changed everything, I'm still here, and maybe I can make it right again." '

Yetch. What I load of drivel. That's got to be some of the worst dialogue I've ever read in any book.

-- I'm not sure where the story is going. Stuff happens in The Specter Key, but what role does it play in an overarching plot? I don't know what Elspeth and Joris planned to do with the Specter Key, and I don't know if they're trying to continue Baslyn's work. Nothing was really foreshadowed, I can't recall any loose ends. The Farfield Curse felt like the beginning of a series, but what really does book two accomplish?

Well, The Specter Key does things better than book one, it retains some problems, and it feels like it didn't accomplish much of importance. It's not better than The Farfield Curse, it's not worse, it is what it is. That said, I'm still eager to read the next book.
7 out of 10

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply a Blast, October 3, 2010
This review is from: Bran Hambric: The Specter Key (Paperback)
While I enjoyed Bran Hambric: The Farfield Curse, The Specter Key made me into a fan of the series. Kaleb Nation's sense of humor and mix of irony are at their best in this book, making it a thoroughly enjoyable read.

The Farfield Curse I can call a YA read, but The Specter Key most definitely has no age limits. The story is both entertaining and emotional, making it something that different ages can approach in their own ways. Further, Kaleb's growth as a writer is apparent in everything from dialogue, plotting, and descriptions. His characters have simply become living. I would only complain that the story within these 330 or so pages is relatively small, but as it is part of a series, there are obviously different things to be discovered in each.

If you're considering buying it, do: you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, December 27, 2012
This review is from: Bran Hambric: The Specter Key (Paperback)
I read the first book and I couldn't wait for this book to come out and ordered it before it even came out. It was not a let down!! Absolutely loved this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from Theamwriter, September 23, 2012
Alisha (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bran Hambric: The Specter Key (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. I know that this is the sequel to Bran Hambric: The FarField Curse. I loved the front cover of the book. I loved that the first book was all about Bran learning about who he really was and about his mother, where this one was all about his father but still digs deeper into the story. As Bran tries to find Astara and learns who is father is in the process. In the end he saves Astara and returns home safe and sound. The ending to me was good even though it is left open for the next book in the series. I really enjoyed this book, and I look forward to reading anything from Mr. Kaleb Nation in the future. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a magical adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kaleb Nation is amazing yet again, December 10, 2011
Kaleb Nation is an amazingly inspiring young writer/youtuber/vloger/very busy person...lol He always has time for his fans and treats them more as friends. I've been to many of Kaleb's public chats and he could re write the phone book and I would read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, October 15, 2010
This review is from: Bran Hambric: The Specter Key (Paperback)
When I first brought and read "Bran Hambric: The Farfield Curse" I was completely amazed from start to end. In the second book he's turned it up a notch, keeping the action going and believe me it's worth the money! I'm going to buy every single book in the sequel when they are released.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, September 28, 2010
This review is from: Bran Hambric: The Specter Key (Paperback)
Thats All I can say this book is incredible with twists and turns, do not want to put this book down

5.0 out of 5 stars A show stopping book by a great author!, September 29, 2010
This review is from: Bran Hambric: The Specter Key (Paperback)
Bran Hambric: the Specter Key is a thrilling novel that shows amazing promise. With its action packed yet humorous plot line, Bran Hambric is a must read for Harry Potter and Percy Jackson fans alike! This is a great book for all age groups, so it is an awesome book for the whole family. Kaleb Nation outdid himself in this amazing sequel, and I hope all "Bran Fans" will agree with me when I say his second novel was even better than his first!

Bran Hambric: The Specter Key
Bran Hambric: The Specter Key by Kaleb Nation (Paperback - October 1, 2010)
$7.99 $7.54