Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 3, 2013
Throughout listening to this album, it kept occurring to me, "Is this really Nigerian?" It sounded like a 70's soul album out of, say, Philly. Not much about it struck me as Nigerian, or as funk for that matter. That's not to say it's not a good album; it is, just not quite what I expected. The lyrics are in English, and the instrumentation is very Western (for lack of a better word). There are some very strong tracks that sound like they could have been radio hits back in the day. There are also a few slower, unremarkable ballad-ish numbers, like many of the soul albums of its time. While I expected something a little further out there, what I found is a decent album right up the soul/pop alley.
on June 13, 2011
I picked this CD up a week or so ago and it has quickly become a permanent resident of our CD player. This music high-energy, funky, and fun from start to finish. Absolutely outstanding. Also there is a great booklet included with photos and essays on the evolution of the genre. I can't recommend this disc enough!
on July 9, 2012
Great Afropop reissues are appearing like mushrooms after a rain these days but Brand New Wayo stands out. It's fun, pop-y, and surprisingly durable. One year later, I still enjoy virtually every track. I landed back at Amazon only because I was hoping that the label had come out with another gem I could pick up. Fingers crossed.....
on March 26, 2013
......but they sort of warn you going in. This is straight ahead disco with very little african feeling. If that's what you want, it's a solid 3 stars, if not, avoid.