on April 2, 2012
I've had this item for about a week and so far im really impressed.
I'm upgrading from a norelco 8020x. To tell you the truth I was never really impressed with it and never got a nice close shave like I wanted. I just figured thats how the world of electrics went. Boy was I wrong. This shaver works perfectly for me. After my first shave with it I was impressed. No one little hair missed. Usually with the norelco I would go about my day and and then feel that one hair that had somehow avoided previous shaves. Words cant describe how happy I am that I can get a close shave with out cutting my face up. The cleaning system is neat however It lacks the ability to just charge. Heres my pros and cons of the shaver.
Pros:
-Build Quality- The shaver it self just feels right and that it was built to last.
-Close Shave- Like I said before this shaver has accomplished everything I want and everything my norelco couldn't
-Charging Lights- Its nice to see exactly how much battery I have left just in case I forget to charge it.
-Cleaning Light- Tells you when you should clean you shaver.
Cons:
-The charging Cable slips out. This bothered me. The Cord has just enough resistance to with stand gravity but if u tap it, the cord falls right out. There really is no way to shave while its plugged in. The Cord is like a spring so the tension alone pulls it out. It really isn't secure.

Pros:
-It Charges, cleans, disinfects, and lubricates all in one. Perfect for people like me who just want to shave and be done.
-It Looks Pretty Good. Its Black with silver flakes. It also has a blue Led that lights up the bottom.
Cons:
-No on and off button. There is a button on top that lowers the charging cable in place. However that also starts the cleaning. There is no way to charge the shaver in the bay without starting the cleaning sequence.
-Loud. Its not a constant loud though. It goes thru a cycle. So it may only get loud 2-3 times for a couple seconds.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My German made Braun Activator was on its last legs, having served my face faithfully for 8 years. So I bit the bullet and bought a 390CC.

Out of the box I found it a handsome tool and the slim shape felt comfy in the hand. And, yes, it shaved my medium to light beard like a champ and was much quieter than my old Activator. In fact, the shave was so close my face felt a little "skinned" and I had to adjust the closeness setting down a notch. I liked the semi-rigid travel case (looks like a nylon sun glass case) a lot more than the old hard plastic one that came with the Activator.

The charge base worked well but was a more basic model than I used with my Activator--no LCD or dry cycle--but the cleaning cycle did a great job.

Sadly, the 390CC gave up the ghost after only 10 days of once a day use. And right in my middle of my trip to Vegas! It began by randomly turning on and off while in the case (not in the cleaning base). After a day of that, it could not be turned off--on-off switch did nothing--and the battery was drained dry. When I arrived home a couple days later--unshaven I might add--I put it in the charge base but it would no longer accept a charge. This 390CC is made in China and obviously suffered from a lack of quality control.

The great thing about this situation is Amazon's wonderful return policy. A couple clicks and I had a UPS mail label and that dirty dog was out the door. I bought a made-in-Germany 565CC to replace it and am a clean shaven happy camper.
on August 9, 2012
Due to my sensitive skin and constant razor burn with manual razors, I bought my first electric shaver: The Braun Series 3 390cc-4.

This gave me a really close shave and smooth skin as the advertisement says: Tough on beard, smooth on skin.

I've been using this for weeks now and the shaving experience is very enjoyable. No pulling and no skin irritation. For the first time, I have a really close shave above my lip. Before with a manual razor, my skin gets irritated after the second run through of the blade. Hence, the not-so-close shave. But now, thanks to the Braun's SmartFoil(tm), a close shave is achieved with zero irritation.

It has a very ergonomic design that gives me a good hold of it while shaving. It really adds to the very fun experience of shaving. Plus, the shaving head can be remove for manual cleaning. I personally rinse it with warm water every after shave. Then, if its necessary, I use the cleaning station too.

I have thin facial hair, so I believe that the Series 3 is more than enough to take care of the stubble. I read a lot of reviews before buying this product and I think I made the right choice. I would have gotten the top-of-the-line Series 7 (awesome shaver!) but in my opinion it would be overkill for me because I can't even grow a full beard. My facial hair is sparse - it grows unevenly. (Only sideburns, chin, neck and moustache). But don't let this stop you from buying the Series 3. According to Braun's website and their shaver recommendation, the Series 3 is a great shaver for those who are on the budget even if you have a thick facial hair. It will still deliver good results but I think it'll require you to shave everyday.

The cleaning station, although not really a necessity, is a great feature that can clean and maintain the shaver. I use it once every week when I need to charge the shaver. It will also make the cleaning solution last longer. It is just unfortunate that the cleaning station will charge and clean at the same time. Since the shaver is equipped with a Ni-MH battery, personally, I only charge the shaver if the battery is running low and from time to time, discharge the battery then charge it fully to lengthen its battery life.

I love that Braun provided us the charging cord compatible with both the shaver and cleaning station. Unlike the Philips Norelco shaver, the cord is only connected to the charging stand, which I believe is a hassle to bring around with you when travelling.

The semi-hard case is great for travelling! I brought it with me on trips and it's a nice case that also low-profile.

I highly recommend this shaver for those who are looking for their first shaver, for people who have thin facial hair or for someone who wants a high quality shaver without the high price.

To learn more about electric shavers, you can visit: [...] (I got advice from the creator of the website. Great advice!)

P.S. My dad saw the performance of the shaver and asked me to buy one for him. I purchased the 340s-4 for him because he wants something simple and without the cleaning station. So, I guess the 340s-4 is perfect for him. Plus, he can use it if he's in the shower, which the 390cc-4, according the Braun, is unable to do.
on September 3, 2012
I bought this razor (Braun 390CC-4) in October of 2011. The price then was about $120. After many years of triple head Norelco this was my first foray into the world of foil razors. I thought that since it was a Braun it would be high quality. It has been an astonishing disappointment. It has never given a clean or close shave, much less a comfortable one. I have to scrub back and forth, up and down, and side to side for fifteen or so minutes just to get a mediocre shave and my face is left sore and raw. I've resorted to smearing my face with oil just to reduce the friction. Some neck whiskers it simply won't cut and about every third shave I have to pop up the trimmer and trim them off with that.

The manual said that a new cutter head would be required after about 18 months, but I found that the OEM only lasted about 5 months before it required replacement. At $20 apiece it works out to almost $40 per year in maintenance costs, which seems way too high to me. Perhaps it is made for thin, light, and soft whiskers, not a heavy beard.

The cleaner/charger that comes with the razor works fine but takes a good deal of counter top space, so a cup with a bit of alcohol is much easier to deal with. The razor can also be used in the shower which, when used with a sudsy face, can help avoid the skin burn from scrubbing your face with the razor.

I am surprised that a company with Braun's reputation for quality would sell this low quality item. I should have been suspicious upon seeing that it was made in China. Needless to say I'll be ordering another new Norelco soon, and Braun will come off of our list of brands to buy. I definitely do not recommend buying this razor.
on December 28, 2012
I received this razor for Christmas and the quality is not what it used to be. The Braun razors are no longer made in Germany, they are made in China. I have been using Braun razors for about 25 years and this is the cheapest Braun razor ever.

The whole thing is made of cheap plastic and the power cord is short and does not stay plug in the razor. The brush to clean the razor is really small and there is no cover for the razor blades. Also the traveling case is made of this really cheap fabric. I am returning the razor and will be looking for another brand of razor since the only things that stay the same with Braun is the high price.
on July 7, 2014
Head does not last very long, the screen breaks and scratches your face. The cleaning fluid doesn't last, and is expensive.
on January 7, 2013
10+ years ago I had a Braun Synchro, that I loved - it got me to convert totally to electric. A few years back I lost it during a move, and didn't have the money for a new Braun so I thought I'd try the Norelco 3-disc type razor - after fighting with that thing for 2 years I finally broke down and got a new Braun - so happy I did. Same quality as my old Synchro, and works just as good or better (if that's possible!). As simple as they look, these things are far and away the best electric razors IMO.
on September 25, 2013
when i buy any product online i always read a lot of the reviews and with this product was no different so after reading the usual 5 starts and some 1 stars i bought it when it got here it look great it came with the stand that you can put the cleaning liquid in and it cleans it and lubricates it ( which has a really nice face feel) but it works great on a couple day scruff (but have not tried it on a full beard as i don't have one) but the trimmer is amazing you could save your head with with absolutely no trouble. the shave is really really good my face is really smooth after a shave and have not cut myself with it or had any trouble with it it also comes with a nice semi-hard travel case which will be nice when i use it but overall i would recommend this to anybody who wants a really good razor or a decent price
on September 3, 2013
Very light shaver and very quiet. Have been using it for a few weeks now and so far so good. Price is very good on Amazon compared to stores in my area.
on August 14, 2013
I got it for my husband, based on my son's recommendation. My husband loves it, says it shaves well and it is nice having the cleaning system right there for instant use.