Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on July 4, 2010
I never thought I'd say anything bad about my Braun 8585 shaver, but the replacement foils and cutterblock have ruined a wonderful product.

Here's what happened....I used my original blades and foil for 2 to 3 years. The shaver gave me a GREAT shave. Then I replaced those blades with replacement foil and cutterblock. What a mistake! Apparently Braun was bought out by Gillette in 2005. Gillette changed the design of the blades and moved the manufacture of them to China. Well, now blades that are supposed to last 18 months only last 2-3 months. They are HORRIBLE.

I am so frustrated because it now takes me 3 times as long to shave and the results are just terrible. The shaver is cutting my face and not my hair. Yesterday, I ordered a Panasonic shaver because I can't afford to replace the blades every 2-3 months and get a crappy shave.

I used to love this shaver. What a shame.
on February 10, 2010
The "new and improved" foil with Gillette technology is too fragile. They rarely last two months before they develop a hole.
on February 27, 2013
This ad is deceiving. You think you are buying the original high quality Braun 8000 series replacement when you are actually buying the more recent lower quality Braun Series 5 Combi 51s.

They show you a picture of the original. Tell you there are only 9 left. At the bottom they let you know there is a replacement blade but it's deceivingly unclear that you are actually buying the replacement and not the original.

I cancelled an order with another vendor for the replacement because I wanted the original. I actually paid $5 more. Bad seller.

In my case the replacement works in my razor. It's just not the product I thought I was buying.
on May 6, 2006
The current seller, Discount Jungle, is trying to charge $10.11 to ship this tiny item that weighs a pound or less! This is a TOTAL RIP-OFF in my opinion; one that boggles my mind! They must hope their customers are too stupid to notice the artificially inflated S&H since they're saving so much on the item's retail price. Amazon needs to look into this matter and ditch them as a seller if they don't correct this blatant, money-grubbing nonsense!!!

EDIT (06/02/06): I see my review last month has done what needed to be done. Amazon has replaced Discount Jungle with a new seller, Ace Digital Club, who are charging approximately $6 more than the previous seller's price of $28.95 for the same item. Whereas Discount Jungle wanted to rip me off with $10 S&H for an item weighing less than a pound, Ace Digital is only charging $5.09 to ship it to me. However, the higher price point means they are NOT a better deal than Discount Jungle, LOL. Can't win for losing!

There is absolutely NO POINT BUYING THIS ITEM THROUGH AMAZON if these two sellers are the "best" they have to offer. I can get it cheaper (after Ace's S&H charge) by walking into any Walgreen's (or if buying online, they offer free shipping for orders over $50). What the hell? I thought buying things online from Amazon was supposed to be cheaper than retail? In the case of this item, it clearly is not.

EDIT (6/16/06): Wow! I've done it again. Now Ace Digital is now gone as a seller. I hope Amazon finds a vendor who can actually sell this item at a reasonable discount even after S&H. It'll save me a trip to Walgreen's, LOL.

As to the product itself, I've had to replace the stupid foil twice on my Braun 8585 since I bought it fourteen months ago. The first foil broke within two months! The second foil has lasted almost a year. I thought these things were good for 18 months? Never had this problem with any other razor, but I do have a tough beard. Other than this, the 8585 has worked well, but the cost to maintain it with cleaning fluid and new foils is a bit exorbitant.
on October 26, 2009
I have used the 8585 model for about 4 or 5 years now. I have replaced the cutter and foil several times. Each time the result was the same as a newly purchased razor. However, the last replacement foil and cutter, which came from Goodman's, provided a shave which felt mostly like using a serrated edged rusty knife. It appears, by visual inspection, the cutter has been redesigned. The cutter now appears as if the individual cutting elements are wider and not thin blades as in the past. Consequently, the experience is pure torture. The order through Amazom expressly identifies the Braun Activator 8585 series. I was sent the 8000 Series product, which indicates it is for the "Series 5." When I questioned Goodman's about the difference, they simply stated that it was the same product had been "modified." This is no longer the product I have used and respected. It is a piece of junk not worthy of Amazon's endorsement, as neither is Goodman's.
on December 1, 2006
I've shaved with Braun electric models since early 1980's. They were great products then, but their foil/cutter durability has degraded badly under Gillette, now P&G (they should give away the shavers, since they are really selling high-margin disposables.) The thin foil and cutter are now designed to wear out rapidly: I shave carefully, have moderate beard growth, but still only get 4 to 5 months from a foil before it breaks and nicks. Forget their 18 month change suggestion--it won't last that long. If you don't mind the high expense of consumables, the 8000 series does provide a very clean comfortable shave while the foil is new. I find shaving quite fast in the first month, considerably slower by 3rd month, then watchout for foil failure and nicks. If you want durable performance, get a Norelco rotary. When a Braun foil breaks, I use a 1960's vintage Norelco triple-head. It still works just fine, and only costs electricity since the cutters last several years in daily use on my beard. Its downside is manual cleaning, and a shave (old cutters/thicker foils) not quite as close as a new Braun foil/cutter. It also takes a little longer than a new Braun foil/cutter to get a good shave, but it's faster than a 3-4 month old Braun f/c.
VINE VOICEon November 29, 2010
I've had a Braun 8585 for years...got this to replace the cutter and foil. I found the shave quality decreased and the blades started pulling whiskers. Also I was nicked more often.

I finally replaced the cutter and foil on my 8585 with this: Braun Series 3 Combi 30B Foil and Cutter Replacement Pack (Formerly 4700,7000). It fits perfectly and gives me an excellent shave. No more pulling, no nicks, and a closer shave. Definitely the way to renew an 8000-series razor.

Avoid this foil and cutterblock!
on July 25, 2012
I have owned a Braun 8585 series electric shaver since 2007. It is the BEST shaver I have ever owned. I have been using replacement Blades from Braun and from Amazon every year since I purchased this shaver.

I purchased replacement blades this year, as I always do, once a year. I was sent 5 series blades. At first I thought it was a mistake, but they fit my shaver.

I have now been using these blades for less than 4 months and they are DULL, DULL, DULL. They do NOT shave like blades I've received in the past and it is becoming a TORTURE DEVICE.

I now have to spend 20+ minutes every morning shaving to get the desired results and my skin is left red and tender every day. The blades pull my beard and it is painful.

I don't know if the quality of the blades has been compromised, but I have to tell you, I have to replace these blades in less than 6 months of use and THAT is NOT right.

I would be hesitant to order these blades. They do not last long.
on August 13, 2015
Bought this because my shaver was telling me I needed a new one, and the shaver was running slow even after a full charge. Changed it out, shaver is still slow but this improved the shave (no grabbing of whiskers as it cuts). I think the batteries are dying on the Braun 8585, and between shipping and repair costs for replacing batteries at Braun, I might as well just get a new shaver.

The Combi-Pack itself was great, I had no problems with it at all. Just be aware that Braun changed their numbering system on their replacement products so don't panic if it doesn't say 8000.
on December 17, 2014
These worked just fine for YEARS. i bought them repeatedly until they were removed from the market. ALL the replacement parts currently on the market appear to be GREATLY INFERIOR. This is Braun trying to raise profits by lowering their manufacturing costs (while keeping the sales prices the same). Several other reviewers have stated that Braun was bought out by some other company, so i guess that's the explanation.

What changed: The cutter and screen both changed, but it seems to me and to other reviewers that the cutters are the real source of the problem in the new version. This older GOOD version had two rows of circular metal rings and cut wonderfully for well over a year. The new one that replaced this part being reviewed here is one sheet of stamped metal and has fewer cutting surfaces. Cheaper to make, but sells for the same price or more than this superior discontinued product.

See 1 answered question