Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 24, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Coming from the man of the house:
I've always seen shaving as a necessary evil. For me, no shave no mater
how close is worth the irritation and skin oiling. Normally, I prefer to
wear a short goatee but my job prohibits me from keeping facial of any
considerable length. I can, however, get away with a couple days growth.

Several years ago, sick of blade shaving, I bought a Remington MS2 280
twin foil shaver with a two position trimmer. The foils proved to be
nearly as uncomfortable as my old blades. But I quickly learned I could
get an "almost clean" shave using the trimmer at full extension and
running it against the grain of the hair. I began calling this "cheat
shaving." True, it wasn't without its own discomfort, but I was getting
a very presentable shave without the agony of a blade or foil.

All good things come to an end though and I began to notice Remington
evolving away from this design. I knew my "cheat shaving" days were
numbered. Enter the Braun Cruzer 5 Face. This shaver/beard maintenance
system appealed to me largely because of what Braun refers to on the
packaging as a "dirty shave" option.

First Impressions:

This Braun unit comes attractively packaged. The artwork and photography
on the box suggest the unit is geared toward the guy who likes to keep
his whiskers short and sculpted. Inside you find the shaver with
twistable wide and narrow trimmers; three-day beard comb/protective cap;
adjustable length beard comb; cleaning brush; lubricating oil; charging
cord; and instructions.

The unit is lightweight and ergonomic with a washable shaving head. The
shaving head does not tilt or adjust to the contours of the face as it
will on some other Braun models. The trimmer slides into position and
twists smoothly; the beard combs snap onto the unit and adjust with ease.

The charging cord is particularly impressive. With my Remington, the
charging cord plug body is bulky and can only be plugged into the lower
outlet (or inverted in the upper outlet) if I want to utilize both
outlets. Braun scores big points with a narrow, streamlined plug body
that won't interfere with your other appliances.

Use:

First things first. Out of the box, Braun suggests an initial four hour
charge with subsequent full charges taking about an hour. Fully charged,
the shaver should provide about thirty minutes of shaving time. In a
pinch, the shaver can be quick-charged, a five minute charge yielding
one shave. For me, the charges have been as advertised.

I was eager to try the "dirty shave" first and did so utilizing the wide
end of the twistable trimmer. It glided over all the contours of my face
leaving about a days-growth of whisker length. This was not quite as
close as my previous "cheat shaving" but much more comfortable. I was
happy. The Braun's trimmers, both wide and narrow, do the close-in work
without pulling the hair or scraping the skin. The narrow trimmer is
slightly rounded for sculpting purposes but can also take out errant
nostril and ear hairs with ease.

The foil shave proved to be on par with other foil shaves I've
experienced, perhaps a bit more comfortable. I am far from disappointed
with the Braun in this case since I'm convinced there's no magic bullet
that will provide a painless, baby smooth shave.

As my job prevents me from growing a beard, I can't say much about the
performance of the adjustable beard combs. The maximum adjustment length
of six millimeters does limit the user to shorter beard styles. Since I
know the trimmer head itself works well, I feel confident it would keep
most beards in check and could even tackle some light "manscaping", if
that's your thing.

Conclusions:

This is my first Braun shaver and I'm impressed with it. It's easy to
use. The fit and finish is good. It has a quality feel and is UL listed.
The packaging reflects that the shaver fills a niche in the shaving
market. The target audience likes to wear some style of facial hair
everyday but likes to keep it short and neat. If that's you, give this
shaver a try.
on July 4, 2014
Gentlemen and Bearded Ladies of Amazon,

Are you getting a less than adequate shave from your Cruzer 5 Face shaver?
Are you experiencing pain and redness resulting from hours of scraping away at your face, trying to cut even one measly hair?
Are you having violent fantasies of slamming the Cruzer 5 Face onto the tiled floor of your bathroom?

If you're like me, you have answered "yes" to all three of the above. Fortunately, you've got enough free time to read endless Amazon reviews, and you found this one. That's great, because I am here to tell you that your Braun Cruzer 5 Face shaver is just seconds away from being restored to its original performance. That's right, no more razor burn! No more lost hours in the bathroom. No more appointments with the anger management counselor!

The secret? LUBE IT UP!

Remember that tiny bottle of clear fluid that came with your Cruzer 5 Face shaver? No? You don't? Go into your bathroom and dig down, deep, into that drawer full of free travel-sized toothpaste and 1-foot-long spools of giveaway floss from your dentist. Look to the left of the ex-girlfriend's eyebrow shaper. There it is. It's full, isn't it? That stuff inside is oil, and it's about to change your life.

Ok, now, take that little bottle of magic fluid in one hand and unscrew the top. Take the Cruzer 5 Face with the other hand and turn it on. Oh, it's not charged...that's okay, plug it in. Try again. Is it on now? Good. Now squeeze about 3 or 4 drops of that oil onto the trimmer blades. Let it run like that for a few seconds to distribute the oil side-to-side and really lube up those blades.

Let's try a shave now. Shape that goatee. Craft that set of Civil War era chops. Give that handlebar a nice curve. Feels good, huh? Yes, the shave feels great, but I was referring more to that drop in your blood pressure.

Yes folks, the lubing process is a necessary step in the relationship between you and your Cruzer 5 Face shaver by Braun. You'll find that it needs this step a little more frequently than some of the other shavers you may have owned in your post-puberty lifetime. That's just a part of owning an electric shaver that cost you less than $50 and promises to help you design your face with a seamless sideburn fade or tribal flames worthy of getting you casted as the villain in the next Zack Snyder flick.

So, remember to lube it often in order to keep those blades moving and your bathroom tile free of cracks.
on September 20, 2013
This is an OK razor, not very powerful. As others have indicated, can do it all but nothing very well. Still I was ok with it. It really is very weak. Until two months of infrequent use (I have a beard and work at home, so once a or twice a week) it broke. The adjustable comb broke. The metal tab that provided tension to hold the comb at a certain level just stopped holding the the comb. I ended up triming off a nice swath of beard down to nearly nothing.

Fine its in warranty. Called Braun. I have to spend about $5 to send the part back to them, with receipt, so they will send me a part that if charged would be about $8 and wait three weeks for it. No more Braun products for me. In comparison,a Kwikset lock was missing a part. Called them up, the next day, free to me I had the part in my hand.

No Braun products. Week, cheaply made, poor warranty.
VINE VOICEon July 20, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Here's the deal: this simply did not work on my beard. I suppose my whiskers may be more coarse than average, but don't know that to be true. What I do know is that like some other reviewers, I simply could not get a clean shave with this no matter how hard I tried.

The trimming attachements work great, as is the overall design. It's comfortable to hold, fast to charge, and holds that charge for plenty of time. So I wanted it to work, I really did. It just didn't. I gave it time for my skin to adjust, I tried using it lightly, pushing harder, pulling my skin taut, relaxing it, going with the grain, going against the grain, moving it in circles. And would still take forever to get even *close* to clean shaven; many sections simply didn't get done at all.

There were sections of my face I could rub this on for, literally, a minute and still pull it away to find plenty of whiskers. Not just a single one, but many, all of them sticking up and taunting me from a patch of red, irritated skin.

So it was frustrating: I really wanted the ease of an electric shaver, and this one is built so nicely it was a pleasure to use. Or it would have been, had it worked on my face.

So 2 stars from me, which is what I'd consider a "didn't like.". It's very well built and I'm betting it works great on some beards, so for those people it would have to ba a 4 or 5 star product. For me though, it's a 1 star product, plus 1 for build quality and the effectiveness of the trimmers.
VINE VOICEon April 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As others have mentioned, this is a great shaver for trimming beards, mustaches or goatees. Don't buy this if you are looking for a flat out razor. You can do much better buying a Panasonic (at a better price) for doing a full face shave. They could have done better in the design of this shaver as it is not the best fit in the hand and is not that easy to manuever around lips and the nose. All in all, I think you can do better than this Braun if you are looking for a trimmer as well. I rated it at three stars as it does the job of trimming. Just not that easy to use and not practical for full face shaving.
on December 26, 2012
The shaver is very attractive and the design is comfortable. Having said that, it just doesn't work all that well. I realize that it is a very inexpensive razor, but I have bought inexpensive Braun razors in the past and found them acceptable. This was a very cheap so I don't feel I lost all that much, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have passed this one by.
on April 30, 2015
This comes with both an adjustable comb trimmer, which attaches to the detail trimmers, and a 3 day non-adjustable beard comb which attaches to the full shaver. Either can be used as beard trimmers. These dual options arent something that you see on other beard/stubble trimmers. The full shaver also shaves pretty close. My criticism is of the detailed trimmers. They don't shave close at all...leaving 2 day stubble behind even with the metal directly on the skin. A detailer needs to shave close, but this is a problem with all of todays affordable shavers, not just Braun's. However I will give 4 stars instead of 3 because of their innovation with providing 2 beard trimmer combs.
on March 16, 2014
I feel I should comment on my experience to warn potential buyers. While I am relatively happy with the performance and features of the product, I have had the adjustable comb broken twice and replacement is not a pleasant experience. Additionally, for trimming beard and mustache the product has worked very well (for as long as it didn't break), but as a face razor it underperforms greatly compared to full size razors (I like my Braun Pulsonic with charging/cleaning station): it simply does not provide a clean shave. I found the dual function a great idea so that I wouldn't have to travel with two pieces of equipment, but the Cruzer falls short in the shaving category prompting me to pack both for travel.

But back to the trimming comb: because it can be adjusted it is made of various parts which are so flimsy and an example of very poor engineering (even though Braun claims to be German) that it will break eventually. I am very careful with my things, but repeated use and occasional travel will cause the metal tab to come loose or break (I am not the only one reporting this, see e.g. the same exact comment from gmac0518). For this reason alone I cannot recommend spending money on this item.

GOOD

- Holds charge long, and charges up very quickly
- Feels good in hand
- International voltage support (just take an adapter plug with you)
- Power cord interchangeable with some other Braun products

BAD

- Simply not a good shaver
- Adjustable comb (with click & lock system) prone to breaking
- Cumbersome warranty policy for parts replacement through 3rd party
- No protective case for travel
on February 4, 2016
My husband received this shaver from me for Christmas. He absolutely loves it - even better than the one he had before which finally died after many years of service. He insisted on Braun and he's very glad that he did. This was a great gift and I would definitely purchase from this seller again and certainly would get a Braun.
on May 16, 2012
The Braun Cruzer 5 Face shaver is a great product for those who have never used an electric razor of any kind, particularly young teens.

However, for the rest of the adult world the Braun Cruzer should be passed up for something better. While it's stylish and compact, it does a terrible job trimming more than one day's growth. Specifically, it does a poor job with your neckline. Countless times I've shaved and gone off to work, only to see all the patches it didn't get on my neck.

You get what you pay for, and I was looking for the least expensive. My advice, save your money and get something higher up the line.