4.0 out of 5 stars Compared to Epilady Discrette
I have been epilating for twenty years and have used a couple of types of epilators. My current one is an Epilady Discrette that has lasted about fifteen years and is still going strong.

Published on May 3, 2011 by Noname

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not for everyone
I am a first time epilator and have rather dark thick hair. I was excited to try this as an alternative to shaving/waxing.

Published on June 6, 2011 by K. Eckert

4.0 out of 5 stars Compared to Epilady Discrette, May 3, 2011
This review is from: Braun SE 5180 Silk Epil 5 Epilator with Ice Glove, Green (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Epilating has evolved since I began. The focus has shifted to encouraging the faint of heart. The biggest fear is pain, which Braun takes great care to alleviate. For experienced users, the added precautions are largely unnecessary.

PAIN

People have different tolerances to pain. I can honestly say learning to epilate hurt less than learning to pluck my eyebrows. It stung the first few times (especially the first time), but after that, I felt no pain. The ice glove is a nice touch, but it's probably not necessary and those who choose a different brand could just as easily just use an ice pack.

As for comfort, the dual massage system really does minimize the pulling sensation. I actually don't feel as much tugging with the Epil 5 as I do with my Discrette.

SPEED AND EFFICIENCY

Yes, this Epil 5 is quicker and more efficient than my Discrette. I can pluck more hairs in one pass. With the little light, I can more easily see the areas I missed.

I also like the speed control. Of course, I choose the fastest setting, which is much faster than my Discrette.

FINAL THOUGHTS

The best thing about epilating is the longer I do it, the less hair grows back. I can go longer without needing to think about it. Even when I've got some long strands coming out, they are so sparse, they aren't very visible.

Speed and efficiency are what draws me to the Silk Epil 5. I'm going to switch to it and keep my Discrette as a backup.

4.0 out of 5 stars It hurts, but there are ways to make it less painful, May 26, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So you're wondering, "Does it hurt?" I have a pretty high pain threshold, and I must admit it hurt more than I expected. Having said that, I've learned that there are things you can do to make it hurt less and to make the process more effective.

1) Give it a chance. Use the epilator more than once. Every time I use it, it hurts a little less.
2) Forget the "gentle" attachment. I didn't notice a huge difference in the discomfort with this attachment, and it was less effective, so I found myself having to go over the same spots multiple times.
3) Make sure your hair is the right length. If your hair is too long, it hurts worse. The directions say your hair should be 2 - 5 mm, but I don't obviously take a ruler to my legs. After using the epilator several times, I've realized that after the first use, by the time you think it's time to use it again, the hair is about as long as you'd want it to be.
4) Pull your skin back tight when going over areas. This not only make the epilator less painful, but also allows it to get to more hair.
5) Go slowly. My first instinct is always to move the epilator over my skin quickly. Maybe this is because I anticipate some discomfort. However, if you slow down, it's more effective.
6) Use the high speed. Again, the lower speed really doesn't do much other than prolong the process.
7) Exfoliate regularly. I noticed I was getting some ingrown hairs. Exfoliating helps prevent this.
8) Use lots of lotion afterwards. It helps.

By doing all of the above, I've learned to really love the epilator. In fact, I was at the point where I was going to have laser hair removal, but decided to save my money and continue with this method.

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay, so I'm a wuss, April 29, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had plans to do a long-term review: use the Braun Epilator on one leg, a regular razor on the other, plot hair growth over multiple weeks. There might have been bar graphs. But....

I've never used an epilator before. Going in I of course expected there to be some discomfort: you can't yank hair out of your legs without feeling something. Question is, how much discomfort, and would it be worth it for the convenience of not having to shave as frequently? I can't compare the experience of the Braun to other epilators, and it may well be better and less painful than any alternatives. But I gave up after half a leg because I decided that, no, the pain wasn't worth it after all.

I used the Epilator with the beginners' dual massage cap, which is supposedly easier for neophytes than the other cap. And I tried it out both with and without icing my leg first. Maybe I didn't do it long enough, but the icing didn't seem to make any difference. On less sensitive parts of my leg the stinging was bearable. But elsewhere--directly on my shins, actually--was harder to take. Yes, the result is quite smooth, and I imagine it will last much longer than shaving, but I don't think I'll be using the Braun again. In the end, shaving more frequently really isn't such a terrible price to pay.

(Four stars because, while I didn't enjoy my experience with the Braun, this isn't the fault of the product per se. I don't want to penalize Braun because epilators aren't a good fit for me.)

4.0 out of 5 stars First impression: Not as bad as I thought it would be, May 4, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used an Epilady years ago and swore I would never try another epilator again. Then I saw this. The appeal: I hate to shave - The fear: pain. But figured it couldn't hurt to give it a try, just maybe it wouldn't make my legs feel like they had been put in scalding water for hours.

I was surprised at how well it works. First used it on one leg without using the ice-glove - my skin tingled but it really wasn't painful. The tingling sensation, but no redness, went away after about an hour.

Used the glove on my other leg before using the epi and found it pretty much useless - all it did was make my leg cold. The ice-pack may be needed by those who have thicker or more dense leg hair, I do not know. Finished the leg without it.

The Braun epilator works well with my thin leg hair. I did not shave my legs after my order, so the hair was quite long. I'm very pleased with the product.

The Pros:

Simple and easy to use
Not as much (if any) pain
Comfortable in the hand
Works fairly quickly and efficiently

The Cons:

The manual needs to be revised - right now it is written terribly confusing
The ice-glove is not needed (at least for me)
It is noisy, not something you would use if you have someone sleeping closeby.

All in all, I'm happy with this little device. The promise of not having to do it again for another 19 days is wonderful, we'll see how well that holds up. Would I recommend this to a friend, probably so, if they asked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Braun 5180 vs 5270, October 13, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've owned the older model of this epilator for almost exactly a year of writing this new review. The Braun 5270 X'elle Body System Epilator was an replacement after my older Emjoi (which isn't even listed on Amazon anymore) started showing its age after a couple years of solid performance.

I have thicker hairs and the older 5270 model took a few passes in order to grab-and-yank the hairs properly. I'm assuming everyone knows that epilators hurt (other than completely anesthetizing your shaving area, there's no real way to avoid this - you are just yanking hairs out by the root after all) - the better epilators "minimize" the pain by doing it as quickly as possible. In other words, one-pass, get it all, don't do it again for a week or so. If you have to do pass, after pass, after pass - well that just prolongs the uncomfortable experience.

So far, the 5180 seems to do a better job than even my old 5270. I could not find any data about RPMs on Braun's site, but for some reason it just feels like the 5180 revolves more often than the old 5270. This could just be in my mind or it could be that my old 5270 is just slowing down, so please take this observation with a grain of salt (and yes, both are on the "high" setting).

Both of these models are pretty "rough" - even on the slow setting they yank out hairs pretty violently. On more sensitive areas I usually get irritation bumps even if I ice or take other precautions. On my underarms it often felt like I had a mild sunburn after using (for about a day or so).

All-in-all, I still like this epilator. For people with thick hairs like myself you have to take the ups and downs of these types of hair removal systems. Sometimes just finding a product that can actually remove your hair is all you're looking for. The Braun 5180 does that job very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, December 26, 2011
AWESOME-AWESOME...I love this Braun Epilator. Received in about 2 days. After reading all the reviews I had to try it. Its fabulous. The pain was minimal, watching the little hairs coming out made this almost pain free for me. It has been 2 weeks and I have not had to take my shaver out. Normally I had to shave every other day especially in the summer months. I started out by trying it on the bottom half and moved to the top of my legs the following day. I applied 100% Aloe with tree tea oil after using this and I had absolutley no bumps or red spots! I also found by zigzagging across my leg I caught most on the first try. oh and just so you know this is the first review of any product I have ever done and I buy a lot of things on-line. Try it you won't be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not for everyone, June 6, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Anyone who says this does hurt either has very thin hair or just flat out lying. I tried it on my legs first since they were least sensitive. It felt like getting tiny electric shocks in about a million locations at once. The slower (or more sensitive) setting didn't really help me out much. It just prolonged the pain, so I would recommend using it on the highest setting and just getting it over with.

I tried using the massage head, and while that helped pain, it missed a lot of shorter hairs and took a lot longer to do. So, again, I would just stick with using the std head on it.

The Ice Glove didn't do a thing for me. It is kind of nice to have on hand for icing injuries and stuff like that but it did not help with the epilating for me at all. The light on the unit was incredible helpful and really let you see where you missed hairs.

The epilator did a nice job on my legs. After I used it I did have red bumps on my legs for a couple days afterwards; after that though my legs were nice and smooth. Unfortunately my hair grows in incredibly fast, so in a couple weeks all the hair was growing back in again. Too be honest the process was just too painful to repeat every other week; I will stick with shaving my legs.

I also tried using the epilator under my arms and in my bikini region. The results in these areas for me were pretty much disastrous. Not only did it hurt an incredible amount in these areas (we are talking involuntary tears running down my face), I also developed huge red welts. Especially in the bikini area I had red welts the size of a pea around each hair follicle and they took a good week to go away.

So, all in all after trying this once I will never be using it again. I know they say the first time hurts the most; well if the second time is even half as painful it's still not worth it for me.

As I mentioned I am a first time epilator user and have very thick dark hair. As far as epilators go this seems like a nice one. It feels good in your hand, the light is very helpful, and it has lots of options for settings. It gets three stars because the construction of the epilator seems nice. This is just something I will never do again. I don't recommend for people with thicker hair on their legs/arms/body; I would much rather do laser hair removal and just have the hair be gone. It I only had to do this once maybe it would be a good option, but having to do it every 2nd or 3rd week is just not worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comparison to Emjoi Emagine, April 6, 2012
I purchased my wife the Emjoi Emagine Emjoi AP-18 Emagine Dual Opposed 72 Tweezer Head Epilator because her previous Emjoi finally gave up the ghost after 10 years. She swears by it and upon receiving it, I actually read the manual. Since it is not recommended to share epilators between people, I decided to purchase one for myself (I always shave my arms, legs, chest etc with a razor). I wanted to purchase a different brand and based on the reviews here, I went with the Braun 5180. The shipping was on time as always (great amazon service)!

Me in my infinite wisdom decided to play guinea pig and experiment using the left(Braun) and right(Emjoi) side of my body for comparison, so here's my findings...

Pros:
Fits easily in your hand, is less noisy, the massaging head attachment actually helps keep the pain level low by gently vibrating the surrounding skin, the led light is great for lighting up the area to find missed hairs, and the best part, and this is my personal opinion, my skin feels smoother overall.

Cons:
On several spots I don't know how but I actually had bloody pores (about 3 of them). I don't know if it was due to long hairs being tweezed out or what. The other negative was it took longer to actually finish my bodypart using the Braun than with the Emjoi. I'm sure thats due to the Braun having approx. 1/2 the amount of tweezers than the Emjoi. The pain was a little more intense also.

So my verdict??? I believe they both did the job well and both have their pros and cons. As for this review specifically for the Braun, I feel the final results were much smoother skin. The Braun did hurt a little more but subsided quickly. It took longer to finish the job but that was expected because of the single 40 tweezer head.

Bottom line is the Braun is a great alternative to shaving in my case and the light makes a BIG difference while using it. My left side(Braun) felt smoother while rubbing my skin as opposed to the right side(Emjoi) which I felt had a slight stubble sensation, it's hard to explain but the Braun had no resistance at all. I'm giving this 4 stars due to the slight bloody pores I experienced which the Emjoi did not happen with. I'm looking forward to updating this review in the future as things change. Thanks for reading !

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE it!, January 5, 2012
I would like to start by saying that this is NOT my first epilator. I have been using one for about 10 yrs, so I cannot comment on the pain factor. My thought on that is it is going hurt for the first few times, no matter what kind you get. This is my third epilator and nothing beats a corded shaver. Shaving with this was quick and easy. I LOVE the light! This is an AMAZING epilator for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughts from a first time epilator that doesn't do pain well, September 12, 2011
My four star review isbased on how effectively it removed hair and how easy it was to use. It doesn't speak to pain, or speed in comparison to other models because I've never used any. Well, first thing I did right was buy it first and read the reviews second. I was in the store and peeked at the star ratings on my phone which were good. I saved the horror stories for when I got home. My "do no self-harm" mechanism wouldn't allow me to try it first so I got my boyfriend to do my first leg. And it hurt like all get out!!! It's tough to explain, but it was a diffuse, unyeilding, annoying pain. So, in addition to the included ice pack, I got all the packs we already had in the freezer to use on an area before AND after epilation.

It really was very unpleasant. There's no way to say otherwise. But I can say certain areas were less unpleasant...like the back of my legs weren't as bad. Ankles were awful. I should have prefaced this with saying I have waxed before. My legs once professionally a few years ago, and at home several times with minimal pain. It was a definite sting but over quickly. Eyebrow waxes don't bother me at all and regular (non-brazilian) bikini waxes don't either except for a few spots. For the past 7 years, I've strictly shaved my legs. But I wanted something different because 1) I have to do it too often. 2) I hate how getting goosebumps ruins a perfectly fresh shave in minutes. & 3) good disposable blade razors are becoming really expensive.

Overall with breaks it took about 90 minutes. I'd do a 4" square and need a break to ice or BREATHE! I had something to do so I only got to one leg, below the calf, the first day. Three days later when I was up to it we did the second leg. This time, I decided to use some topical cepacol throat numbing spray (active ingredient: benzocaine!) on my legs and boy did it make a difference!! I sprayed it on, rubbed it in and waited about 6-7 minutes. The pain didn't go away but it was a lot less intense. More squinting less outright "OWWW"-ing. I still used the ice on the front of my legs but I didn't need any cooling in the back. It took about 30 min. Not bad at all for the trade off of days of no maintenance.
One thing to consider which has been mentioned is "pulling a hair" = "pain", thus "more hair" = "more pain". So any touch ups can't really hurt but so much. In fact, I had a few strays from the first day and I went at them with no problem. Actually, the vibration from the epilator feels pretty good against the skin. So the random hair doesn't hurt really at all...just a quick pluck and done.

Observations: after the fourth day, I had minimal grow back . My legs were smooth through several bouts of goosebumps. I have dark hair, with dark roots, so my legs looked better with the roots gone. The red swelling bumps that appeared as I epilated disappeared in a few hours. Subsequent touch ups were easy, relatively painless and convenient. Holding the device more firmly against the skin was better than holding it lightly. Lightly seemed to produce more tugging, and prevent you from getting the full benefit of the vibrations which help manage the pain.

I didn't choose a wet/dry model because one of the things that bothered me the most about shaving was having to get in the shower and stand awkwardly to do it.
This model is hard to clean though. The benzocaine made that worse but I don't imagine needing it again.

Rate and Discover Movies