4.0 out of 5 stars battery comment
I have been using an epilator for years, so for 'newbies' just a few comments-
YES- the pain gets better. Stick with it. I use it for everything- upper lip, underarms, legs, bikini- and I don't need any special soothing creams or gentle 'caps' or anything. I barely even feel it. You can get there.

It definitely beats shaving.

But I would say...
Published on July 11, 2009 by Anonymous

2.0 out of 5 stars There are better, cheaper epilators out there
Published on November 11, 2009 by cloud number nine

4.0 out of 5 stars battery comment, July 11, 2009
This review is from: Braun SE7281WD Xpressive Body System Rechargeable Wet & Dry Epilator (Health and Beauty)
I have been using an epilator for years, so for 'newbies' just a few comments-

It definitely beats shaving.

But I would say that the "hair free for 4-6 weeks" claim is bunk. If I go more than 2 weeks or so, it's noticeable. Now, the hair is softer and lighter so even if it's there it's not awful- but if you are expecting to be totally silky smooth for a month- no.

And on that note- I'm not sure I'm EVER 100% silky smooth. there are always a few little fine hairs it can't get, or a few that break. It's not like that JUST shaven feeling. (but, that just shaven feeling only lasts what, an hour?)

But the reason I'm writing this review-
I've had several epilators, and have tried pretty much every model of the silk-epil. I was so excited about two things on this one: the rechargeable battery, and the wet/dry ability.

First re: the wet/dry- I tried it in the shower- It didn't work NEARLY as well. missed tons of hairs. I think the fact that you can get it wet is meant more so you can clean it- not use it in the tub. But, maybe that's just me, maybe I should try it again.

And the battery- I honestly wish I had saved money and gotten the corded one. The charge doesn't last long enough, and it gets wimpy at the end. Even if I plug it in, it's wimpy until the battery gets some charge back. And worst of all- if I use it too much, I think maybe it overheats- it gets really hot and seems to strain the battery, and it will just totally die. I have to leave it alone for 5-10 min, and then I can go again just for maybe 3 minutes.

I really think this has to do with the battery and charging system.

So my recommendation would be to save money and get the corded version. After all- where are you going to be using it that it's so hard to be near an outlet?

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this!, February 26, 2011
I was really really really hesitant to get an epilator...in fact, I had been scared to get one my whole life. IF I had only known then, what I know now!! (the irony of life, right?)

I have very pale white skin and very thick black body hair, thanks to some not-so-good luck with the gene pool. :-) Been shaving all my life, and not only would I get razor rash EVERY time, but the regrowth would be evident within a matter of hours. Yuck! So, a few years ago, I started getting waxed, which wasn't horrible, but was very expensive and not something I could afford in the long-run; this lead me to purchase my own at-home wax warmer and I started waxing myself. Things I loved about waxing: regrowth was slower; no razor rash or tiny purple dots at each hair follicle(!!!). The things I hated about waxing: very messy; very time consuming; have to wait until a good portion of hair has grown back AND until hair growth is at least 1/2 inch or so before waxing EVERY time, which is ugly and makes me feel self-conscious. So:

I decided I needed to find a longer-term solution. Looked into the No!No!, but it has horrible reviews by just about everyone who doesn't get paid by the infomercial company (certainly a few exceptions, but not enough to make me comfortable dropping nearly $300 on it!). Then I saw epilators... and I decided I may as well try one because it's no more expensive than one round of waxing (less, actually); plus, I've undergone waxing so many times, so it couldn't possibly hurt more than that! Right? I hoped.... Many epilators get great reviews, so I had a hard time deciding on one. I ended up going with this one (Braun SE7281WD) because (1) It had some of the best and most thorough reviews; (2) I wasn't sure if I'd prefer to use it in the shower or dry, so I wanted the wet/dry feature to test all the possibilities; and (3) I liked that this came with several "heads" so I could work my way into it with the massaging head, and use the precision head for special areas, etc. I made the purchase, even though I was still really nervous.

It's been about 5 weeks and I don't regret the decision one bit! The first go-round was a little painful and awkward, I must admit (I tried it in the shower first which was way too awkward, so resumed after shower with dry but warm skin and it was still a little painful, but not as awkward). The 2nd time I used it (dry only) was about 1 week later - only a little hair was present and it felt like almost nothing. Same with 3rd week. Last week, I had a little more hair growth than the previous weeks, and I made a leap and decided to not use any of the heads at all, but just the bare epilator (dry as usual). It took the hair off so well, and was nearly painless (honestly, at this point, it feels like the skin is getting "a good scratching"...I can't explain this, but it doesn't hurt...*almost* feels good in a way, but not quite).

I love this epilator. I usually charge it up on a Sunday morning when I wake up, and by the time I'm done with my coffee it's ready to go. I use it on my armpits, arms, legs, bikini (need to be careful around the creases - I did knick myself once when the skin was too tight and had a slightly elevated/pinched-up area...ever since, I have used the precision head for the bikini area!), and stomach below the navel. There's always a charge left when I am done. It is pretty fast and easy. Hair regrowth seems to be slowing down and thinning out...since my hair is so thick, I do get a few ingrowns, especially near the thicker skin at the knees, but that's WAY better than the MANY ingrowns I got during waxing; and a deep salt scrub always helps the problem (I make my own: fine sea salt mixed with almond or grapeseed oil and 2 drops of lavendar aromatherapy oil). Oh, last week I also discovered that for some ingrowns (those causing a little bump on the surface of the skin and therefore not deep), I can move the epilator several times over the bump in different directions and it'll remove the excess skin and pull out the hair! Much better option than me trying to dig it out with tweezers and making myself bleed!!

Oh, and the best part is: I don't have to wait until most of the hair has regrown before I use it...in a similar fashion as shaving, I can epilate anytime I need to and have soft, smooth skin!! However, different and much better than shaving, the hair won't regrow within a few hours...or days!

I know this review is long, but sometimes I think it's really important to share the whole story. I hope it will help someone else out there. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars worth it's price!, May 12, 2009
Kahuna (Ann Arbor, MI) - See all my reviews
Since I have a very sensitive skin and low pain threshold I really couldn't use older models of any epilators and this is the first one that really works with me. First of all, red dots: yes, they appear all over the place where I was using it but do not last for longer than ~10 h (so I epilate legs in the evenings, before going to sleep, follow with J&J baby olive and in the morning dots are gone). Pain: for the first two times it was pretty painful, however, not as bad as I remember from my very first experience with epilators. I have already used it for about 5 times and I don't have any problems with pain that I can't stand (my tip: if you're REALLY afraid of pain have a glass of whisky or brandy 15 min prior to epilation- it helps!). What I noticed it's much better to use larger speed even in case of beginners- it hurts less. Ingrown hair: this is something no epilator can help, just remember to exfoliate regularly, on daily basis- forget about any body scrubs, they don't work well in this situation, are far too gentle. I use Loofah Back Massager Brush with Ergonomic Grip Handle- works perfect not only to prevent ingrown hair but also leaves your skin very smooth without irritation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money and the pain!, May 11, 2009
I purchased this epilator at Bed Bath and Beyond with a gift card. Otherwise, I would have purchased it from Amazon because I love Amazon.com :)
Anyways, I love this epilator. I have tried quite a few of them and this works so well I can't even describe it. I have used it in the shower so far and love the results. I love that it charges is an hour and lasts for 40 minutes as well.
I definately recommend buying this product if you are looking for a good epilator.
Regarding the pain, it does get better over time. Also, if you want to purchase additional attachments go to: theessentials.com and look under Braun, lady shaving and epilation, epilator parts. The prices aren't bad.

2.0 out of 5 stars There are better, cheaper epilators out there, November 11, 2009
I bought this product intending for it to be an upgrade from my previous Braun 5270 Silk-épil X'elle. It turned out to be double the price and NO improvement. With my previous epilator, I was going 2-3 weeks between epilations, but the hair removal for this one turned out to be inferior - I had to epilate once a week for the same results. Also, the "wet" option on this product - it's waterproof and can be used in the shower - turned out to be useless. It is MUCH less effective when used wet. The final straw for this product has been the terrible battery life. I have had the epilator for five months, and for the past few uses it has only lasted ten minutes before losing its (full) charge. I'm going back to my old Braun, and buying a different brand when I can afford it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great personal groomer, May 6, 2009
I wanted to list what came in the box since I don't think the description gives enough info:
The epilator with Lithium Ion rechargeable battery
Massaging, pivoting cap
Shaver with trimmer head
Efficiency, pivoting cap
Pre-epilation wipes
Nifty carrying pouch

On to a short review.
Epilation definitely hurts when you first get started but from my experience it gets lesser the more you continue to epilate regularly. The hairs seem to grow in alot thinner as well. I have been able to start using this on my underarms which I have heard is one of the most sensitive areas (definitely hurt pretty bad the first time) I have not yet started using it on my bikini area since that seems much more sensitive to me, but that works out ok since it comes with a pretty nice shaver. So even if you decide against using this for epilation, its not going to be something that you can never use. This product can be used in the shower which definitely makes it pretty convenient since that is when I usually do my shaving, its also supposed to relax your skin. It has a rechargeable Lithium Ion battery, so its definitely made to be long lasting.
I gave this 4 stars because I really wanted the 7781 wet/dry model that has several more attachments but have been unable to find a way to purchase it here in the US. I have found a way to purchase some of the attachments through Braun from their product replacement page, there is a link on their website. However I would have preferred to just purchase the other model.
Overall great product, well made and epilation gives me the results I want (minus the pain)

5.0 out of 5 stars No More Shaving for Me!, October 3, 2009
This is my first Epilator ever! And let me tell you.. I love it!!! But does it hurt first time use?! Heck Yeah! It actually took me a while thinking if I really wanted to use it or not. When I used it for the first time it was more painful than any other times after, so it does gets better, but you have to understand that your body has very sensitive places no matter how many times you epilate! So it comes with two different heads one for shaving/trimming and the other one for epilating, this option lets you change caps. A roller cap is to "massage" your skin while epilating so you don't feel much pain (I find it a little poky at times!), the other cap is for a closer epilating now I don't like to use this one in the shower because it doesn't slide as easy. It has a little light that does wonders! It helps you to see those few hairs that are stubborn and you missed. Now... some of the hair it only gets broken, but I think it depends on what direction the hair is and in what direction you are trying to epilate. I usually move my epilator in different directions and angles and it does the trick. I find that the knees area is the most sensitive, so no matter what it will hurt a little. Under my arms I always ask my husband to tighten my skin so the hair gets pull out and not broken. (by the way you HAVE to tighten your skin to get a better epilating).

Epilating is not going to give you that smooth feeling like after shaving that only lasts a few minutes anyway! Another fact is you WILL NOT go 4 weeks without epilating! That's not true! At least not for me!You will start to see hair after a week or two, but this are the hairs that break and are not pull so it will only be a few, very unnoticeable in my opinion. But the hair will grow thinner, so I usually epilate every two weeks, plus my hair grows faster because I take skin supplements and this makes it grow faster.
Battery wise... it lasts about 40 minutes enough time to shave for me anyway!

In conclusion... one of my best investments! No more shaving for me every 2 or 3 days! No more buying shavers, no more shaving cream and no more cuts! It's easy to clean and it isn't as loud as some review have mentioned! Not like a construction going on in your house!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rolls-Royce of epilators, September 14, 2009
aschoema (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
I was bummed when my Philips Satinelle died on me last month. I had brought it back with me from Europe 10 years ago, but I was quite happy with it. The market for epilators is not as developed here as it is in Europe and I'm not for shaving at all. I'd rather "suffer" a bit and be good for a few weeks, plus, when the hair grows back, it's finer and softer than after shaving.

I did some research and found the Braun SilkEpil Xpressive. All the reviews I read spoke highly of it, either in the US or in Europe (I couldn't help but check there too). The price tag is quite high but when you think at how much you use it over the years, or when you compare it to waxing at a salon/spa, it is actually quite a deal. I liked the idea of being cordless (no more stuck to an outlet) and the wet option.

I received it last week and I am delighted. Wow, what an improvement in 10 years! I started epilating 15 years ago with my mom's Babyliss Epilady (ouch!!!), then upgraded to my Philips one and saw the difference in pain level. But no comparison to the Xpressive! I used the efficiency cap on my legs and in 15 minutes, I had smooth, touchable skin. Didn't cringe, even on the back of my legs. I had some redness as usual but it went away overnight. Epilating my underarms was not as "enjoyable" but again, I used the efficiency cap and the highest speed. I am a hardcore epilating person ;-) I also like the Smartlight function, quite practical with artificial light.

Overall, a great purchase that I did not regret a single second. Throw away the razor and get the Braun SilkEpil Xpressive!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Head Problems after a Few Months..., January 24, 2010
B. Roche "Art Glass Girl" (Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX USA) - See all my reviews
First of all, this is a good epilator. You will find that the fact that it works when wet does NOT make much of a difference at all -- in fact, I know that it works better when used dry. I also have a Braun 5270 model - which is corded and seems to be much more powerful. The 5270 is great for flat, open skin areas like legs and arms but NOT a good one for the bikini area -- it is VERY unforgiving and will grab skin if it is used at a slightly wrong angle or around loose skin that is not pulled tight -- and that HURTS! This is NOT as much of a problem with the 7281 model and it removes hair much more gently.

The head on my 7281 epilator needs to be replaced and at this point replacement heads won't be available until the end of Jan. 2010. The head seems to run fine for a couple of minutes and then bogs down for no apparent reason. I have taken the entire thing apart and it is not a cleaning issue, but seems to be a problem inside the head itself. This is the reason I bought the 5270 model... Once the head is available it will cost over $44 to replace...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Hair Removal Experience EVER, July 18, 2009
I have tried and owned it all: razors, electric razor, the original Epilady back more than 25 years ago, the Smooth Away system, Nair, and a really nice hot wax kit. I am very sensitive to pain, but my desire to be done with hassling with hair and mess overrode that. I expected less from this epilator than it has delivered. Yes, there is what I would call discomfort with the first and most ambitious hair removal, but I suggest that you do use the "massaging" head with it. That DOES work for a first timer. I now prefer the regular attachment for efficiency, but the massager is great on the remaining sensitive areas. I am flabbergasted at how many hairs it finds. A GREAT feature is the "Smart Light" that shows me the tiniest hairs. Very satisfying to watch them disappear as the epilator goes over them. It is also a very easy to clean device! I ran out of hairs to epilate (got a little addicted to the perfection of the process), so am now waiting it out. I have had smooth, smooth legs for DAYS. Worth every cent of the 119 dollars I spent. (Note: I've not tried it in the shower yet, as I'm happy about being able to set out a towel and watch tv and have a snack while I do this thing. You are not trapped in the bathroom.)

Tips: If some hairs are shorter than 2 mm and just can't get picked up, they are not visible in any case. Wait a day, and the epilator will get them. DO exfoliate. I recommend the "bath gloves" that you can get at the grocery store, but the Body Shop has terrific exfoliating bath gloves. If a hair is stubbornly being missed, be sure to stretch the skin tight right at that area, and try again.