Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Braun Series 7-7181 Silk Epil Wet & Dry Epilator 1 Count
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

VINE VOICEon June 20, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ok... so those were not the exact expletives that were used at that very first moment. I have never used an epilator. This is my personal experience as an Epilating Virgin. I suffer from ingrown hairs on the outer part of my lower legs (below knee). I carefully unpacked the package, Braun epilation wipes, read the instructions/care manual and charged my new device for a bit. I couldn't wait for too long so I cleaned my legs with the wipe. The wipe does nothing but clean your legs and make them smell great. Seems a very 'placeboish' product. I read up on online forums and took pain killers because it would supposedly reduce inflammation and pain later on. Now onto the epilating...

The sound when turned on is very nerve-wracking even on it's low setting or as I refer to it as, "chicken speed". It made me nervous and a bit uneasy, but I still braved on! OH MY!! Add a few expletives and constant, OUCHES, OH MY GOD, HOLY HELL and so on and you get my point. The kids came to my bedroom because they heard the commotion. Trying to describe it, I would say it feels like lightening rods. I believe that sensation is translating that way because you are tweezing 40 hairs at the same time. When you tweeze one leg hair you feel that momentary Peter Griffin moment of, "Ahh SSSSS Ahh SSS". Multiply that by 40 times; hence my swearing as if I was being tazered. So there I was and five minutes later I was epilating up and down my leg like a pro and even going into the top speed. It no longer hurt! Who would have thought that the pain would subside? Rather that you could get used to that sensation. I moved to my knee and the pain came rushing back; knees are painful and continue to be!

My experience: Initially I was nervous, just from the sound of the whirring. I am so happy that I went through with it. Excitedly I looked at the calendar so that I could put into my review the exact number of days between epilation. I lost my epilator virginity on June 9th, 2012. Today is June 20th, 2012 and I have not epilated nor shaved my legs since that day. How do they feel? They feel like day number 3-4 after shaving (depending on how quickly your hair grows). This is insane and I only wish that I could have discovered this product sooner. I have stocked up on the Braun wipes even though I believe they didn't do anything. Today I used it in the shower on my underarms. The pain was excruciating and I had a dot of blood without it catching the hair. I immediately stopped. It wasn't worth it and I am not sure if the water makes it more difficult for the hair to be caught. The underarms will remain a strictly shaving region; as much as I loathe it.

Hair type/Skin color
I am Caucasian and have very very fair skin that bruises easily. Waxing leaves me red for two days but the epilation went smoothly without any snags. A couple of hours later and my legs were not red and there were not any scabs. It does not help with the ingrown hairs and I have to still manually remove them. This has me motivated to pick up my exfoliation so that I could get to the bottom of those pesky ingrown hairs.

Highly recommend and suggest sticking past the first few minutes. I am excited and my husband remarked how my legs felt great even though it has been so long since the last time. Do I have that freshly smooth waxed feeling? No, I don't, but my legs have never been hair free and as smooth as this for 11 days.
1212 comments|122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had not used an epilator before trying this product. However, I have done plenty of waxing, and also have had laser hair removal, so believe me, I am no stranger to pain when it comes to body hair. I suppose I thought, having gone through those other experiences, that the epilator would be no different.

I was wrong.

The difference between the epilator and waxing:
Waxing removes the hair in entire sections, in one fell swoop, so you can brace yourself with each section, go to your happy place, and then it's over. The epilator is used slowly and methodically, and doesn't stop, and you have to think about it every inch of the way.

The difference between the epilator and laser hair removal:
Someone else administers the laser, so again, you can brace yourself and think about something else until it's over. Plus, the laser is moved around rapidly, so the pain moves around, not isolated to one small area. The epilator is in one area, moving slowly, drawing too much focus, and caused me to repeatedly pull away in a knee-jerk reaction.

--------------------

Now for my actual experiences...
First off, this thing scared me right out of the box - the noise it makes when it starts is low and warms up to a high whir. But hey, I thought, don't judge it by the sound - give it a try.

Try it, I did. Actually, I have given this product quite a few tries over the last 2 months, because I wanted to be sure I didn't give my opinion based on a one-time attempt. I have tried using it both wet and dry, as well as on my lower legs, upper legs, lower tummy, bikini, and the tops of my feet & big toes.

I did not notice much difference in pain or ease of hair removal when using this wet or dry. The only upside I found to using it dry is that I could see the fine, blond hair on my upper legs much better, as opposed to when it is wet and those hairs become practically invisible. This meant that I was able to tell if I got all the hair, or needed to go over it again.

- My upper legs were much more successfully done than the lower. I didn't notice nearly as much pain, and the results lasted for a good while. I did get a lot of red bumps the first time, but they only lasted for about 12 hours. The occurence of bumps has also gradually diminished with each use.

- My lower legs were just too darn painful to go very far. I tried, I really did. I don't have a high threshold for pain - I have no desire to get a tattoo or piercings for that reason alone. I'd rather shave every day than have to endure what I felt when I tried epilating anywhere from my ankles to my knees!

- My lower tummy area and the tops of my feet & toes were relatively pain free. I'm not sure if that is due to the fact that I have waxed those areas for more than 15 years, and the lack of pain is possibly due to the hairs growing back finer each time after waxing already. The red bumps I ended up with on my tummy lasted for 4 days - I was not happy about this, so I haven't done that area again.

- My bikini area was almost a repeat of my lower legs. My saving grace was that this is one of the areas where I've had laser hair removal done, and most of the hair is already gone. I have a few stragglers that continue to grow in that area, so I still have to do something about them. Those suckers hurt a lot to epilate (I still think I'd rather have it waxed!) but it was bearable because it is such a small section. However, I noticed I had more breakage in this area, possibly due to my own hesitancy.

- I also tried using this to remove the hair on my chin and upper lip. I have fine blond hair in these places, but it has started growing longer since I hit 30, so I've been waxing it. I did not use the special attachment for the face, and I felt the results were acceptable. When I pull my lips in between my teeth, it made these areas taut, which made epilating easy and quick. I did not get the usual red bumps that I normally get from waxing these areas, either, which I appreciate.
--------------------

The battery life of this product has been very good so far, lasting through 4-5 sessions of treating my upper legs and other small areas. I like that the little low battery light blinks for a while before the battery is going to die, signaling that I have limited time left, instead of the product just dying without warning.

I don't notice much of a difference with the little light that is supposed to help with visibility. I have a fairly strong astigmatism, so showering without my glasses means I don't see very clearly anyway. Light or no light, I can't clearly see what's going on in the shower.

--------------------

I'm going to continue to use this for the areas that didn't hurt much, but I am going to stick with shaving for those lower legs for sure. My personal pain tolerance can't handle any more than that.
VINE VOICEon May 16, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is not my first Epilator. My first one was one of the Epilady "coil" ones when it was first introduced. That one was touted as painless and yowsers, it made me switch right back to razors. A little over 6 months ago, I got my hands on an Emjoi Optima (the yellow one) and while it hurt, it didn't hurt as much as the original Epilady and well, it did an ok job. Since trying the Silk Epil 5, I have retired my yellow Optima and I'm considering disposing off it completely. Now I am trying the Silk-Epil 7181 which offers Wet-Dry! Which means I can take it in the shower and it's cordless once charged, so I can take it anywhere... (but probably won't because I like to confine hair removal activities to the bathroom, but it's nice to have the option!)....

For this review, I'll share my opinion on the biggest difference between the Silk-Epil 7181 and the other epilators I have tried. This one can get wet. So I took it in the shower. I imagined that the addition of warm water would allow the follicles to open up and the Silk Epil would gently pluck each hair out. Ok. I'm not delusional- I didn't think it was going to be an extremely gentle and painless/discomfort-free plucking, but I did think the warm water and even just the atmosphere would make it an easier and more pleasant experience. And it did. Kind of. The discomfort was less than on dry land. I'd say the discomfort was around 1/2 of the discomfort I felt when using a similar device (the Braun Silk Epil 5) on dry skin/dry hair, while standing on a dry surface. It still took quite awhile, but I'd say it took less time than dry. And then I got out of the shower, toweled off, and went about my life. A couple of hours later and I was standing on my lanai wearing shorts and I looked down at my legs in the sunlight and was horrified. I had somewhat of a 5 o'clock shadow scenario on my legs! I had stubble and it wasn't even 5 o'clock. I'm used to longer term hair-less legs from using an epilator of any sort and that's why I'm willing to deal with the discomfort. So what happened? It seems to me that when wet, and this could be a "my experience, go have your own and it might be different" sort of a thing, but I think that it tugged on the hair and sliced, but more like a really painful electric razor and it broke the hairs apart instead of pulling them all of the way out. At least that is what looked like happened, and that also makes sense as far as the discomfort level- they were still being pulled but not pulled out. Of course, YMMV. I'd still like this as a dry epilator, and intend to continue using it as such. It is nice not having the cord in the way....

Here's what I liked about the Silk-Epil 7181- which are the same things that I liked about the Silk Epil 5.
The Braun Silk Epil 7181 Epilator has 2 ridged rollers on both sides (the long way) of the tweezers. The Optima only had one, in the middle. The rollers are sometimes called a "massaging" action. My experience is that with the Braun you get one massage, hair ripping out, another massage... You don't actually feel any "massaging" but it kind of distracts your nerves for just a moment so the pain isn't as much as something without a massaging roller or one in the middle which reads more like "pain massage pain"....

I have seen the light! The Braun Silk Epil 7181 has a handy dandy little led light build right into it. This really illuminates the skin well, so you can see every hair and you can run 'em down until you are nice and smooth. My bathroom doesn't have the best lighting, and I had to go more by feel with my Optima, which usually meant (after holding the motorized contraption in my hand for a long time) I was missing large swaths of hair. So the light is definitely a bonus.

The other positive I found, about this particular hair removal device when I used it "dry", and this may just be a me-only thing, so your mileage may indeed vary. I have been on treatments for RA for a long time, and since tapering down (partially) my prednisone, my skin marks and scars in a lovely deep shade of purple that doesn't fade. A cut while shaving results in a little purple line. My other epilator left little purple dots/bruising (my RA treatment makes me bleed easily). This one left two legs that were so smooth, and after a good night's sleep, they weren't irritated or spotty (except for previous marks- no new ones! and I wore shorts for the first time in ages... (of course, when I used it "wet" and in the shower, I put on shorts and ran back inside, somewhat horrified at my beastly legs that should have been smooth and sexy after that much time and effort)....
44 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2014
After purchasing the nair roll on wax wax and being highly disappointed I began my search for a better wax product. The nair wax left me with nasty red bumps, I began doing research on using organic extra virgin coconut oil for aftercare. This lead me to a wonderful blog on a website designed for Indian women. The article "Waxing vs. Epilating" was quite an eye opener. I soon realized this search had turned into me running down the rabbit hole.

After doing extensive research on different epilators, I set forth to Walmart to purchase one of the $30 epilators that had received decent reviews. To my dismay they were all sold out... silly me thinking in the middle of July they would be in stock. I then headed over to target to see if they had some in stock. Sadly they did not. The only one in stock was the Braun series 7-7181 Silk Epil WD at a hefty price tag of $100! I reluctantly purchased this product and hoped it worked as well as the reviews had stated.

On day one I think it is safe to say I have become and addict! I absolutely love this thing. I am Caucasian with fair skin and white almost clear body hair. It hurt like a SOB at first but after doing my calf on the lowest setting with the massager I switch to the other head and the higher setting. I am a little bummed at its performance on the back of my thighs. I don't know if it's because my hair is thinner back there and it couldn't grip it as easily or what but it left me wanting more. Since I had waxed a few days prior, the hair the wax didn't pick up was 7 days without shaving. But WOW are my legs silky smooth!

Now, lets move on to the pits... my armpits that is. I knew this would hurt far worse than my legs but WOWZA. I had to keep making a conscious effort to remember to breathe. I found the best technique was to raise my arm above my head bend at the elbow and prop my arm against the closed bathroom door and watch in the mirror. I would much rather go through a million Brazilian waxes than go through that pain again. But as I sit here typing only 5 hours after the ordeal, and feeling how smooth my pits are I may just have to try it again. As for my lady bits, I think I will stick to using a hard wax.
on June 1, 2014
Having used an epilator since 1985 I know my way around them. I don't use razors--they weird me out. After the initial shock of hair being ripped out there's nothing to worry about.

I've always bought Epilady products. Unfortunately, every few years the adapter's motor goes and then I shop around Radio Shack for a new adapter for a replacement until that one burns out. The last time I bought a new Epilady I hated it. It made big claims such as "Quieter, faster, better ..." and pssst, frankly, in every way it was worse worse worse. When I called customer service the male sales clerk told me I was clearly doing it wrong and that all I had to do was learn to do it right. Then I'd see: it WOULD be better better better. The jerk!

I threw threw it away and for 4 long years I used the older Epilady--the one whose adapter died--with an adapter from my father's electric razor. It ran on the wrong current and it ran slooooowly but it worked. Until recently I didn't even know there were coil epilators made by other companies. Then that one died.

So that annoying customer disservice guy (whom I'm assuming has never used an epilator in his life) telling me I don't know what I'm doing is the PERFECT way of insuring I'll never buy another Epilady again. I did a bit of Google-ing and lo and behold: Braun. Even the name--you trust it.

This Braun product works fabulously. It takes a quarter of the time it took me to use the Epilady. There's a function light that sweeps in the direction you are moving the rotating coil, which helps aging eyes. It has never removed a chunk of the loose skin in my arm pits the way the Epilady did. It runs on a charge without electricity. And it's pretty quiet. Talk about BETTER BETTER BETTER. I'm thoroughly satisfied.

It's probably too much to ask the manufacturers to design it with accent colors other THAN PINK. Gah, so girly. Why not GREEN?
on February 10, 2013
Let me start by saying that I have waxed my legs many times, so the pain of using an epilator did not bother me.
However, this product was awful. First, the description clearly stated that this item could be used on the underarms with an attachment. When I received the product, the pamphlet says you should NEVER use this product under the arms. Fail number one.
Next, when I actually used the product, it was useless. The bottom portion of my legs have thick coarse hair. The epilator would brush over the hair, pull it, and break it off. I tried again and again and again, both with dry skin and wet skin, to see if it had to do with the angle I was holding the machine. Nope, this continued to break off the hair. The worst part is that the hair didn't break off at the end or keep the hair fairly long. The hair broke off right at my skin, which also made it impossible to shave the hair off without waiting a few days.
In another attempt to redeem this product, I used it on the upper part of my legs which only have peach fuzz. Not only did this item not pick up any hair at all, it pinched my skin and caused bleeding.
I would NOT ever recommend this product.
on July 26, 2012
I really liked this product, and used it a number of times over the course of the first 4-6 weeks I owned it. Unfortunately on its last use, it randomly began to catch - quite painfully I might add - on my skin. Nothing about the way I was using it had changed. Perhaps foolishly, I was determined to finish my legs, optimistically hoping the first catch was a fluke. I proceeded even more carefully than before, however it didn't stop. The 4th catch hurt so much I yelped and dropped the thing, which landed on the bathroom floor and broke irreparably. I couldn't believe that: a) it stopped working well so quickly, and b) was so cheaply made that the plastic pieces crumbled from a short fall.

I'm extremely disappointed at the waste of money for something that only worked for a month!
on July 15, 2013
This is not my first time epilating but I am not experinced, I had used my sisters emjoi (not the one with 72 tweezers, the purple basic type). I liked hers well enough, I used it on my leg dry. My sister is as thorough as I am so when she said she would have bought this model (now that she has experience) I took it seriously. I pained over this one or the next model (the one that is $100) or the panasonic ($90). I read many reviews and decided that the additional attachments that go with the higher 7000 series models.

I have just used this and wanted to write the review while it is fresh on my mind. I used this one my legs- I had anticipated this product (as a birthday gift) so I have not shaved for a few weeks (my husband is in Afghanistan). I was concerned that the long hair would not pull out but just break so I used a hair trimmer in the opposite direction to get my leg hair somewhat short and even. I use a dry body brush (i can not recommend this routine enough- it got rid of the little bumps on the back of my thighs) and took a warm shower. I dried off, sat on the edge of my tub, and began. It was very gratifying to see all the hair laying on the floor of my tub. It was mildly uncomfortable- you are pulling hair out of the root! Some of the areas that were more sensitive, I would go over quick with a few storkes to take some at a time then go over with slower longer strokes. I very much liked the pivoting head- the hair on the back of my calves grows sideways. The light was a great bonus too- my overhead light is at the end of the tub but I was sitting near the middle.

It took a few passes to be acceptable- but I am giving a littlle leeway since I haven't shaved in a while and the hairs were fine. My knees were a little more sensitive so I kept my leg straight and pulled the skin taut.

My armpits were painful- I actually yelled a little. I then used the same technique where I would do a few quick strokes so I wasn't pulling all the hair out at once and was a great help. I made sure to go in all directions and was pretty pleased with the result. There was none of the usual "five o'clock shadow" and I never realized I could be without it!

The epilation did leave red marks everywhere- little circles where the hair had extracted (it has been about one hour and the red is about half of what it was). I did not apply any lotion or deodorant or any topicals like hydrocortizone cream. I am letting it go down on its own and keeping my arms out a little so my armpit area can stay dry.

I will try to remember to edit this and keep an update over a longer bit of time. I should also say that I am Korean American (Irish/English) mix and I am very susceptible to ingrown hairs.
on January 25, 2016
Excellent product. No pain. This is my personal experience as an Epilating Virgin. I suffer from ingrown hairs on the outer part of my lower legs (below knee). I carefully unpacked the package, Braun epilation wipes, read the instructions/care manual and charged my new device for a bit. I couldn't wait for too long so I cleaned my legs with the wipe. The wipe does nothing but clean your legs and make them smell great. Seems a very 'placeboish' product. I read up on online forums and took pain killers because it would supposedly reduce inflammation and pain later on. I believe that sensation is translating that way because you are tweezing 40 hairs at the same time. When you tweeze one leg hair you feel that momentary Peter Griffin moment of, "Ahh SSSSS Ahh SSS". Multiply that by 40 times; hence my swearing as if I was being tazered. So there I was and five minutes later I was epilating up and down my leg like a pro and even going into the top speed. It no longer hurt! Who would have thought that the pain would subside? Rather that you could get used to that sensation. I moved to my knee and the pain came rushing back; knees are painful and continue to be!
on August 2, 2013
After purchasing the Braun Series 5-5185 Silk Epil Epilator "which was desribed to be cordless" I returned it and decided that I would spend the extra money and upgrade to a real cordless and the bonus of being able to use it wet or dry. Charged it for one hour like the description said and it works great. I feel I have a high tolerance for pain so it really doesn't bother me. For others it will. Just have a glass of wine or two and you will be fine. I did use it on my underarms and yes then it can bring tears to your eyes.

My friend actually sold me on the Epil as she has used hers for about 3 years and has no hair grow at all. I would highly recommend on purcahsing it. It's better for me as I dont have to quick shave everyday missing strips of hairs.

8-31-13 Update

Still working great and legs are nice and smooth. I did forget to mention that you will experience some ingrown hairs here and there. Note The Epil will slowly weaken your hair roots so they won't grow back. So do not shave with a razor as it will strengthen your hair roots.