Braun Series 7-760cc Pulsonic Shaver System, Black and Silver
Price:$149.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon September 24, 2010
Verified Purchase
I have had the benefit of owning the Braun 3-390cc, 3-370, and now the 7-760cc...all in the last 4 months. Before this I owned the 8585 Activator, and before that the 6520 Flex Integral. Before that I forget, but I have been shaving with Braun shavers for about 20 years. They rarely go bad...I just get enticed to buy the latest technology.

I bought the 3-390cc about 4 months ago. Before I even had a chance to give it a proper review, TSA lost my shaving kit while inspecting my baggage, and so my shaver was gone. This shaver lacked power. If I skipped a day of shaving, it really bogged down on two days worth of stubble. I felt like I had to have my face 5 times to get everything. And the cleaning system was very rudimentary. If you dropped the shaver into the cleaning system and pressed the button to latch it in there, it cleaned the shaver automatically, whether it was dirty or not. Even if you just cleaned it a few hours ago. No "sensing technology". I don't believe the 3-390cc cleaner had a heated dry either because it would still be wet with the alcohol solution 6-8 hours later. Also, after only 3 months there was a build up of scum in the cleaner where the shaver sits. I opened up the shaver's blade cartridge a couple of times and it still had a few whiskers in there. I probably would have rated it 3 stars.

Since TSA lost my 3-390 shaver, but I still had the cleaning system at home, I bought a standalone 3-370 with no cleaning system. I found out quickly it didn't work with the cleaning system from the 3-390cc. I inquired with Braun (P&G) and they said it should, but it didn't, so I sent it back. The 3-370 shaves exactly like the 3-390. I think it has one less LED indicator, and that's it.

I decided this was a sign that I needed to look higher up in the Braun shaving lineup. I'm amazed I even found this shaver because Amazon's search engine is so quirky and doesn't provide this shaver as an option in the Braun Store. This is by far the best looking Braun shaver I have ever seen, and may be the best overall shaver I have ever owned.

The 7-760 is MUCH more powerful than the 3 Series shavers. I shaved two days worth of stubble today like a hot knife goes through butter. This shaver has easily cut my shaving time in half. It does a much better job with neck hair that lays flat and is hard to get. The Pulsonic technology vibrates and almost gives you a face massage while you're shaving. Braun recommends that you set the Pulsonic strength level to high for the best shave,and they are right. I've noticed that this shaver allows me to get closer to my chin beard without pulling any of the whiskers out (ouch!). It has a much more precise feel to it. The pop out trimmer is a little unusual, but I have gotten used to it already and it does a good job.

The 7-760 cleaning system is much better too. It senses the level of cleaning needed and reports what level cleaning it intends to do via an indicator light, but waits until you actually push a "GO" button. I really like this new feature because my 8585 had this sensing technology, but proceeded with cleaning as soon as you dropped the shaver into the cleaning system. The 7-760 cleaner is built much more like the cleaner from the 8585 Activator, and I think it does a better job than the new style of cleaner that comes with the 3 Series. No scum is accumulating in the cleaner, and not a single whisker is left in the shaver after it is done with a light cleaning. If you clean the shaver ever day it appears that it never has to do a deep cleaning, because I haven't seen one yet.

Braun is skimping on the case and brush these days. The case is the same for the 3-370, 3-390 & 7-760. The 7-760 gets a little bit bigger brush, but that's it. No room in the case to take along the power cord. The cleaning systems for each model use the exact same Clean & Renew refills, which is nice.

All in all, I recommend this shaver. If you've tried a cheaper Braun and aren't happy, take them up on their 60-day money back offer and get this one. I think you'll see a big difference. I wish the 7-760cc didn't cost me $220, but it appears I'm an early adopter, so maybe the price will come down.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 14, 2010
I replaced a 4+ year old Braun 8985 "Series 5 Pulsonic 360" with the recently released (as of Fall of 2010) model 7-760cc-4. I'm unsure of Braun's confusing numbering -- the "dash 4" designation that comes after the "760cc" is printed in such a way on the box that you really have to be looking for it to notice it. If you're not a careful shopper, you may end up with the previous "dash 3" version with the white base. From the descriptions I've read, there's not a whole lot of difference between the two versions -- expect the same shaving performance -- but again, Braun, why the unclear numbering schemes?

As of January 2015, I've been using this shaver practically daily. In that time, it's never been "one pass perfect," and actually not as smooth as previous shavers (both electric and razor), but it's close -- and actually, good enough. What's important to me is there are no nicks or cuts, no rash, and no mess. The battery, after all these years (and it's constantly in the charger, unless I'm traveling), remains rock solid. I'm betting the total useful run time is shorter than when it was new, but the battery is storing enough juice that the motor runs strong. I'm not even considering a replacement.

Rather than write a bunch more about the performance of this shaver, which is not much different than Braun shavers that came before it, and covered in hundreds of other reviews, I want to point out some of the differences from the previous 8985 and the other Braun shavers of that generation, for those of you considering replacement.

- The shaver itself is much smaller in diameter and easier / more comfortable to grip. This was easily my biggest complaint of the old Braun shavers -- the grip area was similar in cross section to a big bar of soap, and I really noticed it having switched over from a fairly slender & comfortable Panasonic. The hard plastic exterior is now covered in a slightly cushy rubberized covering. The overall ergonomics of the 760cc are imminently more hand-friendly.

- The old slider switch (you know -- On > lock the pivoting head > trimmer pop-up) has been replaced. The new power switch is a glowing on/off push button affair. On either side of the push button are silver + and - buttons to control the shavers speed in three steps. With each change in speed, the power button glows more dimly or brightly. This, I believe, is the 3-stage "personalization mode" referenced in the product description. A bit bogus, I believe, unless you shave at other than full speed. In fact, their user manual recommends something to the effect of, "leave it at the '+' (full speed) position for day to day shaving". Regardless, it will turn on in whichever of the three settings you turn it off in.

- Speaking of the pop-up trimmer, the trimmer is now disassociated with the power switch, and pops **out** from the shaver body. Its cutting surface is about half the length of the old one, i.e. very small. I'm trying to get used to it. The old trimmer took some practice to orient correctly while looking in the mirror, but in general, the shaver body itself was kept vertical. I only had to work at getting the shaver level around one axis. This new one -- jeez, it sticks out from the shaver body at a bit of at angle, and the cutting surface is arced a little like a kitchen chef's knife, and so I'm struggling a bit to twist it three different ways to get a straight cut while looking in the mirror. Probably a bit comical to watch, and hopefully I'll grow more accustom to it as the weeks wear on. Trimming cleanly around the ears is suddenly challenging.

- The pivoting head can be locked in place with a slider switch now located on the side of the head.

- The shape of the shaver, in general, is slightly banana contoured. The shaving head itself is canted inward -- not the straight "candy bar" approach of the older generation. Nice ergonomic change, though subtle.

- The charge indicator is no longer just an LED -- there's now a whole clock dial type affair on the butt end of the shaver (or the top of the shaver when it's docked in the charging base). Moving around the dial, it shows 100/80/60/40/20% charge with a separate LED underneath each number (20% flashes red). Frankly, a bit gimmicky -- especially since it fully charges in an hour. This clock face also has an LED-lit reminder icon to replace the shaving foil & blade, which ought to illuminate every 18 months.

- On the topic of charging, this model uses Li-Ion battery cells vs. Nickel-Hydride in the previous version. Both have a claimed 50 minute run time, and both charged in one hour. And the old model was still running pretty strong after 4 years of continuous use. I think the real improvement here was Li-Ion provides equivalent performance in a smaller, lighter package. I don't know whether the charge is topped off every time it is set in the base, but I've yet to see my battery drop into the 80% range (charge scale is graduated 100% - 80% - 60% etc.). It's hard to be sure, since the charging LEDs go dark after 10 minutes of inactivity.

- The base unit has changed a bit, but it still does the same old thing as before. Same Clean and Renew cartridge refills. Cartridges slide in with a little resistance now, almost as if they're locking in place, but eh, what for? The push-to-clean / push-to-unlock switch of yore has been replaced with a big round "start" button. This means the shaver is no longer physically latched into the base when cleaning. The graphics are revised (gone are the "Eco," "Normal" and "Intensive" cleaning cycle indicators, replaced with icons of 1-drop, 2-drops and 3-drops of cleaning solution). There's a "check mark" graphic that illuminates when the cleaning cycle is complete. Cleaning & heated drying takes 35 to 45 minutes, depending on which cycle is (automatically) selected.

- The cleaning cycle is 1/2 as quiet as the previous model. The pump that circulates the cleaning solution is now pretty close to silent -- no more whiny squeal. But when the shaver switches on it's as loud as it was previously, which was about as loud as the whiny squeal of the circulation pump. So, like I said, half as loud. :)

- An annoyance with the base unit is that it powers down after 10 minutes of inactivity. Walk away from it, and when you return, the only LED illuminated will be the one indicating the fluid level remaining in the Clean and Renew cartridge. Even the illuminated % charge indicator and the "check mark" LED indicating completion of the cleaning cycle go dark. Why they bothered with a "cleaning cycle complete" LED is beyond me if it's only going to be lit for 10 minutes following completion of the cycle. One press of the base unit's giant "Start" button will get everything glowing again.

- The cord still can plug directly into the shaver for travel. The power connector is now a 90° plug that hugs the body of the base unit, no longer sticking straight out as it does on the older models, making it easier to set against the wall on a narrow bathroom shelf. The shaver still comes with a travel case, though it's a zippered / soft shell deal now (in some ways a nice improvement, as long as my shaver doesn't actually switch on while packed in my luggage). The cleaning brush has grown quite dainty -- thimble sized, you might say -- but, to counter that, this new model has better waterproofing so can more easily be rinsed out under the faucet. Although I never had a problem nor hesitation in water rinsing the old one when I took it on the road.

- Most importantly, the 760cc seems to shave about the same as the 8985 it replaced. And in the end, that's what matters. Not quite as close as a razor, but good enough to get me through the day.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 13, 2010
Braun Series 7-760cc Pulsonic Shaver System, Black and Silver

My father used Remington shavers all his life. I have used Remington Electric shavers all my life. I can't do the shaving lotion/non electric blade approach because it is too tough on my skin. The Remington shaver performs as advertised -- a good shave at a value cost. However, after shaving with that brand for 35 years, I asked myself -- Can I get a better/closer electric shaving experience? I read the reviews of the Braun shavers and decided to spend the additional money over the Remington to buy a Series 7-760cc Pulsonic. I can honestly say, the additional money is worth it! The shave is incredible. The incremental cost/day for this shaver is well worth the final cut.
on July 25, 2011
Verified Purchase
Before you buy a gadget this complicated you should consider if it will really work and whether the manufacturer will stand behind it when it fails. This works fine as an ordinary razor. But the motivation for paying so much money is the automatic cleaning system. Well, I have news for you--that part is a piece of poorly conceived, poorly engineered, and poorly executed junk. The problem is not merely that the autocleaning function does not properly clear itself of cut hair, but also that the system itself will simply die on you unexpectedly. In my case after about 4 months of use. Of course the razor still works if you plug it in directly to charge the battery, but the loss of the maintenance system is a severe hit to utility.

Worse, when you go to get the thing fixed you find there is no practical or convenient place to go. Braun does not maintain company supported service centers in the US and rather depends on a disorganized set of randomly and poorly accessible private vendors. For example, no one services Braun shaver products in DC or MD. The only servicers are private companies in Wilmington and Virginia Beach. So the only way to get this fixed is to deal with someone 3 hours away who isn't even a Braun specialist. The company itself provides NO SUPPORT to its customers. This is a BIG FAIL.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 3, 2011
I have used an electric shaver for many years. I have tried a number of brands, but was disappointed by each one. Even the best shaver I used in the past would still miss some flat lying hairs on my neck and the blades and screen wore out quickly. After a month or two, shaving was abrasive to my skin and it hurt to shave. Having never tried a Braun shaver before, I was a little reluctant to spend the extra money to purchase one, but I finally decided to give this shaver a try, and am glad I did.

But after years of frustration with previous electric shavers, I decided to go ahead and spend the money and buy the Braun Series 7 760cc Shaver System. Man, am I impressed. I got a close, clean shave every time, not just the very first time. This shaver did not miss a single hair on my neck (a problem with all shavers I used in the past). It delivered a shave equally as close as a razor without the nicks and cuts a razor can leave. The pivoting head makes it easy to shave areas difficult to reach and reduces the time spent shaving. The razor did not burn my face and I could wear cologne right after shaving without my face burning.

What convinced me to buy the shaver is one of its best features, the clean and renew system. After each shave, the clean and renew system thoroughly cleans and renews the blades for the next shave. When finished cleaning the blades, a heating element dries the blades. In minutes it is ready for the next shave. I was skeptical of how well it could automatically clean itself, but it works great.

You do not have to use the clean and renew system after each shave, you can skip a shave or use water to clean the blades, but I would recommend you use the clean and renew feature after every shave. No more cleaning clipped hair from the blades and running a brush through the blades to clean it. The clean and renew system does all the cleaning for you, and even dries the blades once the solution is finished cleaning.

One other nice feature is the shaver can be used with the cord while shaving if the battery is depleted. This is a great feature for traveling, when you might not want to take the clean and renew system with you. My previous shavers would not work with the cord if the battery was dead.

The blades are supposed to last 18 months with this shaver. If so, the shaver will eventually pay for itself. The blades on my previous shaver had to be replaced every 4 months.

While the initial cost of the shaver may appear prohibitive, it is well worth the money. The closer shave, reduced shaving time, and fewer blade replacements certainly justify the initial expense.

I cannot recommend this shaver highly enough, especially for men already using an electric shaver and are disappointed in the results.
on July 19, 2011
I purchased this as a gift for my hubby about 3 years ago. As long as you keep it clean and the head changed regularly, it is a great, smooth and close shave with no irritation. I even use it on my lady legs because My sensitive skin gets irritated and ingrown from razors. Ours came with a hard travel case which is great for all the traveling we do. The charger can be used on the shaver separate from the base (which is good because of our following comments).

Negatives:
Base wore out fast. within a year the contacts had faulted and would not get a good connection for charging or cleaning.
the pop-out shaver springs also broke within a year causing us to have to hold it shut or open while shaving.
Cleaning is time consuming. the "clean" function and solution should be labeled "disinfecting" because it seems to make the hairs even more powdery and sticky causing a terrible accumulation in the base machine and shaver head. We find that removing the head after each shave and thoroughly rinsing the head and shaver before the "clean" function keeps it all cleaner and caused the head to last longer (is a plus since they are so expensive).

UPDATE:
it is about 5 years old now - still shaving great - hubby travels for business and takes this along inthe hard travel case with the wall plug adapter and it is still a good unit. Threw the base away a long time ago. the wall plug charges just fine and its is easy to clean by hand.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 23, 2013
Verified Purchase
Spent the extra $ on a "Braun" for hubbies birthday. Got it set up and it wouldn't go through the clean cycle. Bought more cleaning cassettes thinking it was the cause but it's the base.
Warning!!!! Amazon will NOT take these back because of the cleaning agent. You have to go to Braun's website that tells you to call one of their repair sites, which do not take Braun repairs anymore. So if you buy one make sure you keep everything, even the wire twisties because Braun won't take back unless packed perfectly as when purchased.

So now we have an expensive vanity ornament
on January 22, 2011
Verified Purchase
The 760cc is my 4th Braun shaver. Braun is the still the best electric shaver out there. I take blood thinner medication and I must use an electric shaver. The closenees of the shave keeps getting better with each new model. My wife thinks it's unbelievable that an electic shave can be so close. As to complaints about the high cost, my answer is that you get what you pay for and my Braun is the Mercedes of electric shavers. One should tally up the long term cost of buying razor blades these days and you'll find that the long term cost of a Braun is not as high as you think. When this one wears out, I will buy another one no matter how much it costs. Great engineering and great product!
on December 28, 2010
For 5 years I was using Norelco 8894xl, the top of the line of shavers at that time. Very reliable, it never gave me any problem during 5 years but this Braun 7 Series is very impressive. The shaving is much closer and no irritation at all. I just wish it will last me as long the Norelco. 50 minutes of shaving is less than half than the 120 minutes I was getting with norelco but its still long enough for a week of shaving. I have sensitive skin. Norelco used to give me bumps at the neck area and also irritated the skin if I tried to get a closer shave. I couldn't shave every day because I wanted the skin to heal before the next shave. Braun is much much better, much closer shave. Neck area is always need a little more time but the shaver doesn't irritate the skin even if you press hard against the skin. I wanted to buy both, this and the new norelco shaver, try them both and keep the best but I'm so happy with this one that I don't want to go back to rotating shavers any more. I highly recommend to try this shave. Braun give you also 60 days customer satisfaction to try it.
on January 10, 2011
Verified Purchase
When I was a poor college student, I could only afford the low-end electric razors. I got what I paid for: missed whiskers, shave was not close so I had to shave more often...

I hesitated to purchase a Braun shaver because they were so expensive. But when I saw the price come down to $150 (almost 40% off the MSRP), I just had to try it. Braun provides a 60-day money back guarentee (it used to be 90-days). I chose the 760cc over the 790cc because the only difference was the "quick clean" feature, which, quite frankly, isn't needed unless multiple people are using one razor. And even then, cleaning only takes about 20 minutes.

Even though I am used to using an electric razor, there was an adjustment period. The Braun gave me the closest shave I've ever had. If you're not used to this, you will be surprised. You will have to use some sort of aftershave because of this; otherwise, your skin will be irritated all day.

The only negative thing about this razor is the proprietary cleaning system. The instructions show you how to clean the razor with just water (for use while travelling). But using the cleaning system at least once a month will make sure that the razor gets the lubrication it needs.

Overall, I am satisfied with this purchase and glad the price came down to make it affordable. Not sure if I'd still buy it now that the price is back to over $200.