Published 17 months ago by Joel Avrunin

1.0 out of 5 stars A Terrible Step Down In Quality From Braun
I've used a Braun electric razor for over 35 years Braun was the first company to come out with a cleaning system and their unusual foil has a multitude of worldwide patents. I have the 790cc which I've been crazy about for the few years I've had it. In fact my review of this razor was the first review I wrote for Amazon.

Unfortunately, when Proctor and Gamble...
Published on June 12, 2012 by Peter Suslock

1.0 out of 5 stars A Terrible Step Down In Quality From Braun, June 12, 2012
This review is from: Braun Series 7 Single Pack 70S Cassette Replacement Pack (Formerly 9000 Pulsonic) (Health and Beauty)

Unfortunately, when Proctor and Gamble bought out Braun for whatever reason they scrapped the small appliance division and replaced the Smart foil with the "new" Optifoil - it's a significant step backwards. Now, all of their razors once made in Germany are now made in China with the exception of the 7 series. And the now much compromised build quality in the lower end razors is significant.

Worse, P&G has discontinued the original cutting block and foil. A year ago I found one at a Bed Bath and Beyond and was glad I held onto it. Because this new replacement head couldn't be more generic nor a poorer performer.

What made the original work so well were the wide variety of shapes and sizes of the cut holes on the foil. Hexagons, octagons, half moons, circles, squares, an so on. It appeared random but there was a method to the madness. These foils cut effortlessly, quickly and literally as close to a blade as possible. The center blue strip that lifted the hairs up without pulling is gon as well. A shave head that really did last 18 months - now is shot within three-four months. Like printers the profit is in the ink. My guess is P&G want's the revenue from frequent head replacement - but at a dramatic drop in quality to the consumer.

The Braun innovative foil is gone forever and has been replaced with a sub par generic. I've tried it and it's terrible. Aesthetically it defeats the look of the razor with it's cheap matt finish plastic silver stamped "Series 7" in place of the gleaming chrome with the raised word "Pulsonic"

A minor point, but when you're paying $200-$300 for an electric razor you have every right to expect an uncompromised integrity and continuity of design.

The more pressing issue is that this "new" foil and cutter is really just poor in every respect. The only positive reviews about it are from new Braun users who don't have the experience with the original cutter block to make a fair comparison. I see a lot of reviews and comments on and off Amazon from long time Braun users who like me are so disappointed with this step down to mediocrity that they're looking for a new brand of electric razor.

Braun now exists in name only. This often happens when a giant buys out a small company - it's a shame Braun was a remarkable company with innovative products that exceeded your expectations. For those of you searching for the Optifoil with the blue strip, happy hunting -but I have yet to find a single one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Design Change/Older Cassette, December 20, 2010
I've owned the braun series 7 shaver for about 3 years now. I tend to replace the cartridge ever year. The first replacement I purchased had a new design (blue cutting strip), and cut really well.

The most recent replacement no longer has the blue cutting strip down the middle, and tends to pull a lot. I've read other reviews, and this seems to be happening to others. This makes for a very painful shaving experience.

I'm going to go out and buy this product from a local store, and return the amazon version. VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Buyers beware - do not buy this product until Braun or Amazon gets this issue fixed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the top rated reviews - this is the right replacement blade and works fine, August 1, 2013
I typically avoid writing reviews for items with over 300 reviews and top reviews with over 100 votes. The chances of someone seeing my review are very low. That being said, I almost didn't buy this based on the top reviews, but I didn't know what I should buy instead other than a new shaver. Looking at more recent reviews, it seems that the issue isn't that Braun has cheaped out on replacement cassettes, but rather that they changed the design and some people don't like it. The new cassette I got was identical to the one I was replacing and it works just fine. I am quite happy and my shaver now works like new, saving me $200 on a totally new shaver. Recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars Painfull, January 27, 2011
Mark Boudoin (Manvel, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Simply put these replacements are painfull. Since I first installed them the blades have a tendency to pull the hair instead of cut them which makes this a very painfull experience and should be investigated as a possible Non-Braun manufactered product. I would definitely call this a QC issue which should warrant possible recall.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pulls hair instead of cut, April 13, 2011
I've had 2 of these sent to me from Amazon, and I've bought 1 from Target. 2 of the 3 pulled the hair out of my face. At first I thought I had to lubricate the foil, but it didn't make a difference.

I'm trying to figure out what's going on. I had braun send me a new shaver due to a few issues, and it's definitely the foils that are defective and not the shaver. I'll update this as I further investigate

1.0 out of 5 stars it's disappointing, it pulls your hair more than it cuts it... keep your "low performance" original head., September 13, 2010
It's disappointing, i am not sure if the replacement head that I have got was a lemon or it is a fact that all replacement heads "pulls" hair rather than cutting it!!

Even thaw the original head does that from time to time (I guess it happens when the fine hair gets into the edge between the sides of the razor holder), but the replacement head is pulling more hair than it cuts, which was causing unbearable "PAIN". I lasted 30 seconds before I decided to put back the original head...

Lower performance?!! so be it. it is great performance after all.

Again, this must be defected peice!! (or maybe not, I don't know)... but I am very disappointed with this replacement; I would give it even zero stars if I could!

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of this product for defects. Open when received!!, November 26, 2010
I purchased this item to replace the original shaver head after 18 months of service. I love the shaver but it was getting a bit dull. The new head arrived in August but I didn't place it in service till last week (Nov 20). BIG MISTAKE. The head pulled and yanked out my beard even if just 2 days of growth. It was unusable. I called Braun and got another head. This head works as new and I'm happy now to use my shaver again. Problem is I waited past the return window for amazon before ever opening and trying the replacement head. Now I just lost the money. My adviise to all who own this shaver is to open and try new heads right away. Don't buy In advance as I did without trying them when received and then set aside for later.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the real replacement, August 2, 2012
This replacement is not the same as the original or previous replacements i have bought.

DONT BUY THIS ONE

This replacement does not have the SmartFoil that the original has, according to braun all replacements for this series should have this and this one does not. Im not to happy and will be returning this

Amazon needs to look into this its either not a genuine cassette or the right one for this series

READ OTHER REVIEWS TOO! (I didnt :/)

1.0 out of 5 stars what happened?, March 14, 2011
I read the problems with the replacement cutters without the blue strip and decided in my wisdom to take a shot. Bad move! They are right! The replacement without the blue middle strip pulls hairs out and does not cut as well as the old one I took out. The first two or three shaves were painful, but did cut pretty well. Since then it pulls and cuts like it's very old and I've only had it less than a month! I just returned from trying to buy a new cutter at a store ( with blue strip ), and had no luck. Now I can't find it online either. Do they know there's a problem....I'm wondering. Biggest problem is not knowing if the one you buy online has the blue strip until you receive it. I've used Braun for the last twenty years, but maybe it's time to try something else.

1.0 out of 5 stars PAIN - pulling as much as it cuts, January 6, 2011
I got a replacement that must be defective? I was so happy with my new Braun razor a year ago, I got a replacement head for Christmas, and threw the old one away. Oh I wish I had it back at least until I get a new head. This "new" one that I got makes me want to cry like a little school girl. It keeps yanking on my beard. I never experienced this with the original with the blue strip in the middle. I threw the packaging away and everything. So, I'm not sure what to do now.

I used shaving cream and a razor last night, just so I wouldn't have to use that, and if you guys are like me, that hurts too, but not as bad as this new head does.

Hopefully I can get this exchanged or something...