2,444 Reviews
 (1,749)

1,951 of 1,996 people found the following review helpful
I've accumulated quite a few electric razors over the years, with the three most recent being the new models from Norelco, Braun and Panasonic. So, thought I'd do a comparison to perhaps help those who are debating between these high-end models.

Published on December 29, 2010 by Comdet

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for Some - A Step Back for Most
As a longtime user of Braun shavers (20 years), each model was a significant and welcome improvement over the last. Until now.

Published on August 27, 2010 by dugn

1,951 of 1,996 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Braun Series 7 vs. Panasonic ES-LA63 vs Norelco SensoTouch 3D, December 29, 2010
This review is from: Braun Series 7- 790cc Pulsonic Shaver System, Silver (Health and Beauty)

But first let's get a basic question out of the way: do you have to spend this much to get a good shave from an electric shaver? Absolutely not. Lower-end models such as the Braun Series 5, the 7000 and 8000 Norelco series and the Panasonic ArcIV are great shavers. What you get for the extra money is a slight improvement in the shave, a bit better design, and a few somewhat useful bells and whistles.

Build quality - all are very nicely put together. The Braun feels the most substantial; the 3D feels the most "plasticy."

Sound - the 3D runs very quietly; the Braun and Panasonic are far more "buzzy" but not too loud.

Overall feel - for me, the Braun feels the most comfortable to hold. Easy to grip even if your hands are wet. The Panasonic is a close second. The 3D feels the most awkward. Not horrible, but not all that comfortable either.

Dry shave: closeness - this is a tough call, with the Braun and the Panasonic both providing very close shaves. The 3D does a pretty good job, but my face does not feel as smooth as with the others.

Dry shave: speed - the 3D is the clear winner here. Just mows through my beard, with a total shave time of less than 3 min. The Panasonic takes about 4 min for a good shave; the Braun clocks in at about 5 min.

Dry shave: neck - this is the most difficult area for most shavers, and all of these models left a few errant hairs here and there. The 3D did the best but it comes at the expense of some irritation (see the next note). The Braun and Panasonic are about equal.

Dry shave: comfort - Braun is the winner for me, followed by the Panasonic. Zero redness even in the more sensitive spots (jaw line and neck). The 3D left me with some red spots on my neck. Nothing severe, but it is clearly a notch below the others on the comfort meter.

Wet shave - this is limited to just the Panasonic and the 3D. I'm not a big fan of wet shaving, but both of these do a very good job. The Panny works best with a very thin layer of gel-type cream; the 3D works best with a heavier lather (I got good results with Edge). Both provided close shaves, with the Panny a bit more gentle than the 3D. But, the 3D did a better job on the neck and jaw line.

**Update: Just tried the new Remington Alphagel shaving cream and that works very well with both the Panny and the Norelco. The scent is a bit heavy (menthol) but the no-foam consistency is a perfect match for a wet electric shave. Much better than any other shave cream I've tried. I reviewed the Alphagel if you want more info.

Maneuverability - this is where the Braun really shines for me. I have a mustache, and edging it with the Braun is a piece of cake. The 3D takes some practice, but it can do a decent job. Worst by far was the Panasonic - the huge head makes it very hard to create a clean edge around the `stash.

Auto cleaning - I love the cleaning station from Braun. Works well, cleans well, and the razor comes out lemony-fresh. The Panasonic cleaning station is OK, but is louder, takes longer, and the water-based cleaning solution is not as effective. I can't comment on the 3D station since the model I bought didn't come with it.

Manual cleaning - both the Panasonic and 3D are very easy to clean manually. They actually don't need the auto cleaning station (although it is handy for storage for the Panny). The cutters are removable from the 3D (unlike the Arcitec models) for extra cleaning every so often. The Braun can be cleaned with water, but it's hard to get it very clean since the cutter block is a single unit.

Lots more that I could say about these razors, but this review is already way too long. If I had to pick just one, I'd go with the Braun. While not perfect, it excels in several areas and feels the best. It also offers three settings (gentle, normal and intensive) that vary the speed of the cutters, a feature the other two lack. I find that very helpful. Plus, replacement heads are easily available and often discounted (as are the cleaning cartridges). But, the 3D and the Panasonic are also very good shavers and will get the job done. If you are willing to spend the money, any one of these would be a good choice.

Note: I have the Braun 790cc-4 since I was able to get it at a fantastic price (on another site - sorry Amazon!) on Black Friday. But, under normal pricing situations, the 760 is cheaper and a better value. They work the same, with the differences limited to color of the razor, type of read-out on the handle, and the fact that the 760 lacks the "quick clean" feature in the cleaning station. None of these are really significant, so if you go with the Braun, pick the one that is cheaper.

But, you have to learn how to use an electric razor properly to get a good shave. Some quick tips:

1) Don't press hard - use an easy touch. If the heads are getting warm or hot, you're pressing too hard.
2) Shave against the grain when using a foil; shave in circular motions when using a rotary.
3) Stretch your skin taut when shaving your neck
4) Wait at least an hour after getting up before shaving (everyone's face gets a bit puffy when sleeping).

Happy shaving!

>>Update June 2012: Thought I'd post an update after 1.5 years of use. No complaints at all - works as good as the day I bought it. I'm also pleased to report that I have not yet had to replace the foil. Although I have several shavers, this remains my favorite, and I have yet to find another shaver that provides the same blend of solid build quality, ease of use, and outstanding shaving performance. It's still a 5-star razor in my book.

>>Update August 2013: Still working like a champ! Zero problems with functionality; fit and finish still looks very nice. I did end up replacing the head a couple of months ago, and it was surprising how much of a difference that made. I didn't really notice the foil and blades wearing since it occurs so slowly, but really noticed the improvement with the new head. I'm not going to wait so long to replace the head next time.

>>Update July 2014: Humming along without a problem. I did find that the head can be cleaned very well if I use an ultrasonic cleaner. Not nearly as quick and easy as using the cleaning station, but if you find yourself without any cleaning cartridges (as I did), an ultrasonic cleaner gets the head very clean. That method of cleaning does not add lubrication as the Braun cleaning fluid does, so I give it a quick spray with Norelco shaver spray after an ultrasonic cleaning.

5.0 out of 5 stars remarkable, December 21, 2010
Braun Series 7- 790cc Pulsonic Shaver System, SilverI have been using Norelco razors since high school.I am now 65. Every 2or3 years for all of my adult life I have purchased the latest top of the line Norelco on the market. Way back many years I did buy a couple of other brands to check them out, but they always seemed like they were yanking the hairs out one by one , so I always stuck to Norelco. The last couple of Norelcos that I have had didn't seem to be better than the last. After doing lots of online research, and reading Conumer Reports I decided to try the 790-cc Braun. I was very skeptacle, but what the hey, you've got to try something different once in a while. I have been astounded at the difference. When people wrote that they got a shave as close as a blade, I fgured they were just rationalizing their purchaces. Well, they weren't. The shave is remarkable. It is quick,confortable and amazingly close. There are some negatives. The cleaning-charging system seems a little funky and the travel case is very flimsy compared with the Norelco. Other than those couple of minor details I really believe this is going to one of my best puchases ever. One other thing. This is the first product evaluation I have ever done, so i hope this isn't too long and has been helpful.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
5.0 out of 5 stars First shave out of box, stunning results!, August 16, 2010
D. Smith "ds_smith" (Western NC, United States) - See all my reviews
I've had a top of the line Braun 8000 series (8595) for about 6+ years. It just started to fail recently - I didn't feel like trying another replacement foil/blade and after over 2,000 shaves - I guess it's hard to complain. If this new one lasts the same duration, then it will be well worth the money for just over $0.12 per day plus consumables (cleaning solution & replacement foils).

I opened this new shaver morning (790-CC4), charged it, and started using it. I like the variable setting (3-steps) for mild to intense. I like the feel of it and although the display is less sophisticated than my old one, this one might be more practical in usage. It has a Li-Ion battery and so is a bit lighter, and seems well-constructed.

The real test is the shave - and this is the best result I've ever had from shaving with an electric. On rare occasions I'll use a blade for a special occasion and a blade is usually much closer than most electrics - but I've been okay with a slight sacrifice using an electric in the past. My face right now feels so shockingly smooth, I'd swear I shaved with a blade this morning... So the proof is in the pudding - and I'd wholeheartedly recommend this shaver if you're partial to electrics.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Oct 1, 2012 12:58:49 PM PDT
Awesome to hear you love it! Keep living Braun my friend :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for Some - A Step Back for Most, August 27, 2010
dugn (Duvall, WA United States) - See all my reviews

Previous models shaved so well that my wife thought I used a blade. For the 3 months I tried this model, I used my 4-year old 6000 series to clean up everything this expensive shaver missed. People commented on my 'one day' stubble the same day I shaved with this razor. For shaving quality, this model was a visible step down from earlier Brauns.

Although quieter than other models, there's no audible confirmation of clipped beard hairs as they're cut, so it's harder to brush over an area and hear whether you got additional hairs you'd missed before.

There are improvements such as the trimmer that folds nicely away into a stylish and rubber-accented grip. It also has a clean silver look with a nice blue LED accent. Although the base is too busy-looking for my tastes, it's shaped well and looks sturdy for being made of plastic. You honestly couldn't buy a better-looking shaver.

But for a close shave, this is a huge step back for Braun. Although their new shave head does a great job of retaining clippings and catching those pesky hairs that lay flat against your skin, the overall shave is far inferior to previous models. Worse, the entire line of Braun shavers including the 3 and 5 series all use a variation of this inferior shave head as well. As a result, I've turned to discontinued Braun shavers (6000 and 8000 series) and grudgingly turned in my longtime Braun fan-boy status for a move to Panasonic.

PROS:
For those with soft beards, this may work well
Gets hairs pressed flat against your skin very well
Attractive and accurate charging level display
Retains shavings better than earlier models (fewer flecks fall out)
Quieter shaver (not as noisy) than others

CONS:
Pop out trimmer isn't as wide as previous models
Trimmer has odd angle (hard to see where you're trimming)
Shaver looks ergonomic, but is hard to hold firmly in hand
Shave head becomes unbearably hot after 10 minutes of use
Unnecessary cleaning solution
Travel case holds shaver only, not charging cord
Charging cord is bulky (huge head on outlet side)
With cleaning base, takes up a lot of space on countertop

Braun provides a 90-day guarantee if you don't like the shaver. So, if you're on the fence, give it a try. NOV 2010 UPDATE - This has now been reduced to a 60-day guarantee by Braun.

If you don't like it and choose to return it, get ready to walk the gauntlet and wait a long time for your refund. The Braun web site makes it nearly impossible to find the return location (keep the form that comes with your shaver for these details - which may be outdated and refer to the 90-day risk free period which is now only 60 days). Braun requires 8-12 weeks to even notify you (by mail) that they received your shaver and then even longer to cut a refund check. Their refund center has a looping phone tree that suggests you can check the status of your return but endlessly loops to a recording of the location to mail your shaver instead. Obviously keep your receipt. Also send your return with a Delivery Confirmation to preserve your costly investment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly positive, with some considerations, November 21, 2011
I'm into my 3rd week of using the shaver. Here's some things which probably influence this review: (1) I have been an electric shaver user for over 20 years, so I'm not comparing to straight-edge shaving (2) I'm not a rotary/Norelco user (tried it several times through the years, but never liked it) (3) I have used other brands for extended periods, such as Wahl and Remington, but have mostly used Braun products, some purchased new, some hand-me-downs or inherited from Dad. Nevertheless, I had great reservations about shelling out this much money for a shaver. My previous model was a 2-year old Braun series 3 product, and I was not a happy camper because it seemed to get dull quite fast and I was buying a new head 2 or 3 times a year. So here's my verdict on this Series 7-790cc model: It's worth it! If it ever gets lost or stolen, I'll buy it again in a heart-beat. I can echo all the other favorable reviews: It's quick.... it takes me very little time to shave in the morning. I use overlapping straight strokes, with a little back & forth on those hard-to-get areas like under the chin. The clean-up process is easy. With my prior razors, I have always popped off the head after each shave and brushed out the debris, and then usually sprayed a lubricant on the screen so that it was ready to go the next morning. None of that is necessary with this razor, and the cleaner does a great job of flushing it out. My only complaint, and the reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5, is that the cleaning machine is loud! And I did not see any warning about it in the literature or the prior reviews. The cleaning cycle causes the razor to activate, so it's not really any louder than regular shaving, but it cycles on/off several times, and it can transmit the vibration through the surface it sits on. So if I leave it in the bathroom for a cleaning cycle, it wakes up the spouse. If I put it in another room, it still generates enough noise to disturb the quiet morning. Maybe my 5am routine is just too early for the household, but it would be great if the cleaning unit had a timer to start it at a pre-set time, such as 10am when all the house occupants are out the door. I have to keep the cleaner/charger on the workbench in my garage, and even though it's awfully inconvient to retrieve the razor each morning, I still wouldn't buy any other razor. I'd hook up my own timer, but you have to press the button on the front to start the cleaning process.

5.0 out of 5 stars For what it's worth!, December 20, 2010
Let me begin by saying I have never written a review or endorsement of any product on the web or elsewhere. In addition, this review is not based on my personal experience, but that of my 86 year old father.

My father had been a blade shaver for many years, but several years ago developed macular degeneration and had a very difficult time with the traditional razor and shaving cream. At that point he adopted an electric razor, and was pretty adamant that the Norelco shavers were the best. However, it seemed like the Norelco shavers only gave a good close shave for a very short time, and they were hard for him to clean and keep in good working order. Also, his beard is fairly stiff, and most days he would have a five o'clock shadow by noon!

Anyway, exactly one year ago I gave my father this Braun razor as a Christmas gift, and I thought I would wait to see how it faired over several months before passing judgement. The fact is he loves it! I thought it might take him some time to get used to it, but within a week or two he was praising the shave he was getting with it. He says it only takes him about two or three minutes to shave in the morning, whereas his old Norelco was a five minute ordeal at least. The shave seems very close, and his five o'clock shadow now shows up at the right time! He loves the pop-up trimmer, and figured out how to use the head locking switch so that he can shave comfortably under his nose as well. Finally, the self-cleaning function is just what the doctor ordered here. He cleans it every other day, and a refill lasts about six weeks at that cleaning rate.

So, for Christmas this year I'm giving him the replacement head and some cleaning refills. While I think the refills are a little bit over-priced, it seems like a minor thing given the overall ownership experience.

OK, it's a second hand endorsement, but coming from my Dad it's pretty high praise.

1.0 out of 5 stars Inferior to the prior models, March 29, 2011
This is my third Braun clean and charge razor, so you know that I have liked the brand in the past. I buy a new one every 3 years or so, after the battery starts wearing out in the one I have. This "pulsonic" clean and charge razor is inferior to the prior models that I had. Most importantly, it no longer "cleans" very well. The prior two models came out pristine after cleaning, whereas this new model still has a gunk of oily hair stubble residue that must be manually removed after a while because it becomes quite disgusting. Of lesser importance but still annoying is the extreme noise and vibration created by this razor. The shave quality has not improved (it's not worse either) over the older models, but now I can scare my cats when I shave. This pulsing/vibrating thing is just a marketing gimmick.

4.0 out of 5 stars Series 7 Near Profection!, January 13, 2011
Ray G (Birmingham, AL) - See all my reviews
I purchased the 790 Holiday Edition from Amazon as a Lightning Deal for a steal of a price. I'd looked into this shaver before, but felt that at near $300 it was listed for at the time, it was a bit too rich for my blood. When I saw the great sale price, I jumped on it and am glad I did.

This is my first electric shaver. I am a black man, which means that I, like many others have problems with ingrown hairs. Since I was in high school, I've used balding clippers to shave. Yes, this is painful and really irritates the face, but I like a clean look, so I've delt with the issue.

I'm over 30 now, and over the years have become educated on many what I call "male beautification products", but not the bar soap like crap sold in Wal-Mart that enhance the shaving experience. Even after using clensers, shave oil, and cooling gels from Jack Black and others, I was still scared of a razor or typical electric shaver.

My perspective changed when hearing about the Braun Series 7. I felt that if the shaver was reviewed that well, it must be good enough to try, so I did and am more than happy.

I only shave every other day and take weekends off. With my old clippers, stubble was always there just a little and the second day showed that I truly needed to shave. With the Series 7, my face is smooth and my razor bump problem is minimal. Good products from Kiehls, The Art of Shaving, and Jack Black help with that problem. My second day now looks like my old day one with the clippers. The Series 7 takes care of the shaving quite well.

A note about getting a close shave with the Series 7. I don't know other guys experiences, but with my face, hair grows in many different directions, so to get a smooth shave I start off with the strong setting, then go back over my face with the other lighter settings, and hit the tough spots repeatedly. Yes, this takes a little longer, but it helps you not miss any spots, but I'm only talking maybe 5 to 7 minutes to finish shaving.

Overall, I love the Series 7; it works, and you can get a close smooth shave that is painless. Because I only shave every other day, my refills last a little longer. Only one Clean and Renew refill comes with your shaver. Ordering the refills from Amazon is much cheaper than buying them in a store, and you can get them automatically ordered on a schedule that you set up.

If you like electric, or wish to switch, the Series 7 can't be beaten.

4.0 out of 5 stars Braun Pulsonic - Save on Cleaning fluid, December 10, 2010
I have owned a Bruan Pulsonic Shaving System for over two years. It works great for me. Just remember that shaving head must be kept flat with the skin for it to cut. Since the cleaning fluid is mostly alcohol,and alcohol evaporates in open container,if the cartridge is left in the cleaner I notice that it barely lasts a month. To save on cleaning fluid, I remove the cleaning cartridge about 5 minutes after the cleaning cycle is complete (to let the cleaning fluid drain back into the cartridge from the wet shaver head) and tightly close it. I only reinsert it into the cleaner when I am done with shaving and ready to have it cleaned. This way the cleaning fluid usually lasts for about month and a half. I hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING RAZOR!, September 21, 2011
Thomas M. Stevens "Tina Turner's #1 Fan" (Bartlett, TN (Just south of Nutbush)) - See all my reviews
Ok, for anyone skeptical about this razor, I can't think of a better story than mine. Three years ago, I bought a Braun razor - I believe it was a series 8000 or something like that. It used the Clean & Renew system like this one. That was the best razor. Then this past July when traveling, I lost my razor. I suffer from an acute case of seborrheic dermatitis which makes me break out for nearly ANY or NO reason including if the air goes from hot to cold too fast. My case got really harsh in my mid-30's and I could no longer use a blade razor. I had tried Norelco and all the others to no avail and then I came across that foil razor. It was amazing. So, to have lost it, I was in deep trouble to say the least. I researched and researched and even looked around for the same model on other sites because there just couldn't be a better razor than that one. I found a couple but they were used and I can't stomach the idea of using a razor that someone else has used.

So I went back to Braun's site and really dug into this razor. It's their top-of-the-line Braun and my head said get it but I've been fooled before. I was using a blade razor once a week until finally I had reached a point that my face was swollen 5 days each week and I looked like I had been in a fight. It had gotten embarrassing. I stopped shaving altogether for a little while. My beard is slow-growing but VERY coarse. Finally, I broke down and ordered this razor near the end of September - last Friday as a matter of fact. Today, when I got home from work, there was the razor. I was hopeful but trying to keep my expectations low. I took it out of the packaging and plugged it in and set it up for charging - setup took about 2 minutes - plug, plug, slide in cartridge, insert razor. I waited 3 hours for it to charge really not wanting to shave with it because I knew it wouldn't measure up to my other razor and my face would swell and I have a big day at work tomorrow with a lot of face time. But all the more reason to shave, right???

So just now at 10:00, I took the razor out of the charger. First, it felt different - BETTER. It really is easier to grip than the last one and the 360 head of the last one didn't pivot quite as much as this one. This one has a push-button power button rather than the slide like the last one. I was really dreading this. Then, I pressed the button and put it to my face. Don't apply pressure to this razor! Just let it glide over your skin. If you have a coarse beard like I did or if your beard is a little long, make two or three passes but don't press it to your face with any pressure. If your beard is long, do the typical trim to get it prepared for a shave. Then, just glide it. MAN, I LOVED the feel of this razor. In about 10 seconds, I felt at home again with my razor of three years but this one WAS better. IT JUST WORKS. Within 5 minutes, I was clean-shaven and my face was far from broken out - my skin was smooth and actually relieved now that the hair was gone. ABSOLUTELY NO IRRITATION. With the long beard, I expected there to be some pulling as my other razor had done that in its last few months. Not the first hair pulled. Oh, and those few little hairs that lie flat on the throat that you never seem to be able to get, I glided the razor over them just to see the results. Smooth and hairless after two swipes.

Better yet, I finished my shave and sat down to read the instructions. I know if any lady is reading this, she's saying "Typical man" at this point. With my old razor, the instructions called for replacing the shaving block every 6 months - those things were about $50. As I read this one, the instructions call for the block to be replaced every 18 months. So I'll have three times the use between block purchases now.

If you're not familiar with the Clean and Renew system, just imagine going a week eating every day and dropping the dishes in a sink and coming home to find them all clean and put away and ready for your next meal. That's what Clean and Renew does for you. Just drop your razor in, give it a second to tell you what level of cleaning your razor requires and press the button. When you come back tomorrow, the razor will be ready for you to simply pull from the "holster" and start gliding. I'm so completely impressed with this razor that I WISH I could be a spokesman for Braun on it. I am too ashamed to show my face when I was broken out from the dermatitis but it wasn't attractive at all. This razor allows me to live a more normal life - something a lot of guys don't have to think about when they are choosing a razor. I can't tell you how my stress level has decreased in just a few hours after opening and using the new razor.

Guys, if you think you have a tough beard, just try the razor. Ladies, if you have a picky husband who wants those that distribute the lotion, take it from someone who has tried that razor - the lotion dispenser gets clogged and dirty and the razor takes a lot of time to maintain. THIS is a real guy's razor. No maintenance except a little money for the Clean and Renew cartridges - my last razor used one every 4 - 6 weeks and I expect this one will do the same. The razor is always fresh and ready as long as you just press the button. THIS razor will make you WANT to shave - maybe even TWICE a day. Can I give it a higher recommendation? Can I say anything else to make you buy this razor? Well, my last Braun that I loved so much cost all of $300+ if memory serves. This one costs $206.99 at amazon.com. There is NO reason not to use this razor for your beard or not to spend a little extra money on your man to show him you care and make his grooming time a little less stressful. No cuts, no pulling, no hair and no cleaning. It just doesn't get any better than this. BUY THIS RAZOR!

Braun Series 7- 790cc Pulsonic Shaver System, Silver